You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2015 - Reporting Thread

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I've padded the rules out a little this month so please read them in their glorious fullness.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

Here is an example for how to report your read:
“I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the storyline but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book(s) before or during November 2015.
2. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought. 

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments I finished The Winter People and discussed it in its group read discussion thread.

I wasn't expecting such a creepy read and I'm so glad I read it. The writing was so descriptive and atmospheric, I could almost feel the cold and the eeriness of the woods.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments I read The Winter People and discussed this in the group discussion thread.

I also wasn't expecting such a creepy read, especially during the winter months.
I really liked her writing style and the way she build the story. It made me want to read more and more.

message 4: by Lori (last edited Dec 07, 2015 05:28PM) (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I read The Winter People and posted several comments in the discussion thread.

It was very well written and definitely not predictable! I am going to go back and re-read some portions in the middle of the book to see if there was something in the time frame that I didn't notice. I want to see if there were no clues or if I only saw what I thought I should see or if it was definitely there and I just saw it the only way my mind could process it without knowing the end.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Dec 08, 2015 02:31PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I also read The Winter People and discussed it in the group discussion thread.

I really enjoyed it! As others have already said, it was well-written, unpredictable and very unsettling which is just perfect for this time of year. The characters and plot also had a lot more depth than I expected and I got completely caught up in the story. I will definitely be reading more by this author in the future.

message 6: by Kerri (new)

Kerri I read After You and discussed it in the group discussion thread. Having read and loved Me Before You, I wanted to find out what became of Lou. I wasn't expecting much from the book as I'd read a few reviews which were all pretty negative.
I tend to agree that the story should probably have been left as it was and that this book was unnecessary. It was ok, but I found parts of it too unrealistic and overly filled with drama, so a disappointing read for me, but not totally unexpected.

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan I read the The Winter People and discussed it in the group discussion. My review is here

I loved the beginning and I agree that the scene was set beautifully. I really liked the plot but I was really disappointed with the last section as the story resolved. Like Kerri I found it non-credible. I gave it 2 stars.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15384 comments I read The Glass Castle. I enjoyed it in the beginning, but in the middle part it got a bit too much of the same for me. In the end it picked up again though. It was well-written and a quick read. I reviewed it here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 500 comments I read The Heretic Queen. I really enjoyed the interweaving of many plots that occurred in the story. There is a nice blend of fact, fiction, intrigue, love, hate making the book a compelling read. I like the authors notes at the end about what was historically accurate and what was fiction and also why she chose the fictional elements she did. I have posted a couple times in the discussion, but at this point I'm really the only one. Will continue to discuss as others join in. Gave this 5 stars

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Badges are awarded for the discussion aspect of the group reads so discuss away Tammy in the other thread even though no one else is reading at the moment - at least then you've earned your badge and others will contribute to the discussion when they start reading.

message 11: by Lynn (last edited Dec 14, 2015 08:08AM) (new)

Lynn | 2675 comments I read After You by Jojo Moyes After You

Despite some awful reviews and rating I found it sweet, thoughtful, sad and funny. Gave it 4 stars.
(Put my thoughts in the white covers discussion thread)

message 12: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments I just finished Kind van Sneeuw by Eowyn Ivey Kind van Sneeuw (English title: The Snow Child) by Eowyn Ivey. I discussed it in the 'white cover books' discussion thread. I really loved it! 5 stars!
It was wonderful and magical. A really good read for the wintermonths!

message 13: by Lanelle (last edited Dec 18, 2015 03:22PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments I just finished reading Wired Love A Romance of Dots and Dashes by Ella Cheever Thayer . I enjoyed it so much the first time that grabbed the opportunity to read it again for a white cover.

You would never believe that this book was written in the late 1800's. I can just imagine the two main characters meeting on an internet chat room instead of over a telegraph line. I highly recommend this story.

message 14: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I read Norwegian Wood and discussed it in the White Covers thread.

It was my first Murakami book and I really enjoyed it. I expected something much harder to read, but was surprised by the western style. It felt modern and at moments I even forgot it was set in Japan, but still there were some cultural insights.

message 15: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Will check in over in wjite cover thread again. I really hated the first 30% then began to get into it. Probably a 4 star for me

message 16: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments I read Hercule Poirot's Christmas A Holiday Mystery by Agatha Christie for White covers and it was very good.

4 Stars

Yes, the Christmas season is murderous. Old man Simeon Lee has called all of his family together for Christmas. One son, Alfred, is loyal to his father, David, the sensitive artist, has a burning hatred for his father. Harry is the prodigal son, returning after 20 years. George is an MP and needs money to support his young wife. Pilar is the granddaughter Simeon has never seen. The brothers wives hope the old man wants to reconcile with his sons and granddaughter. But that hope is short-lived as they enter Simeon's bedroom on Christmas Eve. Old man Lee is on the phone talking to his lawyer. He informs his family that he is going to change his will and reduce their allowances. He curtly dismisses them, telling them that he will see them all in the morning.

But morning never comes to Simeon Lee. The family hears furniture overturning and Simeon's unearthly scream. They all run upstairs to find his bedroom locked and Simeon isn't answering them. Stephen Farr, Simeon's old business partner's son help breakdown the door and the family finds the old man dead in a pool of blood. So much for a Merry Christmas. There is no shortage of suspects, everyone under the Lee roof has a reason to want the old man dead. M.Hercule Poirot is spending the holiday with his friend, the Police Super-indent, and is called upon to solve the case.

Christie weaves many red herrings into this classic tale of a lock room mystery as well as many Shakespearean quotes. A mustache, missing uncut diamonds, and a painting lead Poirot to the identity of the murderer.

message 17: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I read The Fur Person The Fur Person by May Sarton for this challenge of mostly white covers.

I'm so surprised I'd never come across this book before recently. It's written from the perspective of a cat. He's first a "cat about town" who becomes "a gentleman cat" and then "a quaker cat."

I love the songs that the cat thinks up and recites to adversaries and friends. And love what makes him a "fur person."

I recommend this book for anyone with a heart and an iota of love and feeling for cats.

Loved this book!!

message 18: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2461 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "I read The Fur Person The Fur Person by May Sarton for this challenge of mostly white covers.

I'm so surprised I'd never come across this book before recently. It's written ..."

Read a few dog books but not a cat one - adding to my TBR list - it sounds fun - thanks!

message 19: by Lara (last edited Dec 20, 2015 01:37PM) (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I've read three shorter books with white covers this month, and have reported them on the discussion thread:
Zen to Done The Ultimate Simple Productivity System by Leo Babauta - a personal productivity and behavior change guide from a popular blogger
Maximize Your Potential Grow Your Expertise, Take Bold Risks & Build an Incredible Career by Jocelyn K. Glei - a series of personal productivity essays by different authors
No Christmas Like the Present by Sierra Donovan - a light and lightly comedic Christmas romance that is about a young woman learning to forgive herself so she can enjoy the holiday again

message 20: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2461 comments Finished The Heretic Queen and enjoyed it - a 4-star for me. This is my 5th Michelle Moran book - I like her selection of strong female characters and how she brings them to life, along with the culture, customs and setting of the historical period - here it's about Ramesses II, one of the longest reigning pharaohs of Egypt and his Chief Wife Nefertari. A bit more in the thread I posted:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 21: by Joan (new)

Joan Lanelle wrote: "I just finished reading Wired Love A Romance of Dots and Dashes by Ella Cheever Thayer. I enjoyed it so much the first time that grabbed the opportunity to read it again for a white cover.

You would..."

Lanelle thanks for the book recommendation - it sounds delightful. Have you read Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions It is one of my favorites

message 22: by Silver (last edited Dec 22, 2015 06:46PM) (new)

Silver | 490 comments I finished reading The Winter People and dicussed in the thread for the book.

I gave the book 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading it. I thought it was beautifully written and loved how creepy and eerie it was. And I very much enjoyed the wintry atmosphere and landscape which permeated throughout the book.

message 23: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I just finished The Winter People and really enjoyed it. I've made comments in the discussion thread. Am looking forward to reading more books by this author.

message 24: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Joan wrote: "Have you read Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions It is one of my favorites ."

I've seen it around, but I've never taken the time to read it. It sounds...odd. What did you like about the book?

message 25: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I read The Heretic Queen and discussed it in the group thread. I gave it 3 stars because it was a book that I enjoyed as an escape but found rather predictable.

message 26: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and discussed it in the buddy read thread. I gave the book 4 stars. I am a fan of the author, Murakami, and I think his books are better enjoyed with friends and lend themselves to buddy reads or other discussion. The buddies in my buddy read saw many different things in the book than I did, and it was very interesting to think about their theories. I finished the book before most of the other readers, and, although I enjoyed it, I was sort of scratching my head trying to figure out what it meant. After seeing others comment as they read, I saw new things in the book. The book is actually two parallel stories, one set in hard-boiled wonderland and the other set at "the end of the world." The interrelationship of the two provides plenty of food for thought. I tended to focus on a more cerebral view of the two, but other readers were more tuned in to sensory aspects like sound and vision, and their observations made my experience of the book richer.

message 27: by Sandra (last edited Dec 24, 2015 06:13AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I read Seven Ways We Lie Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate (young adult), and rated it 4 stars. I wrote a comment in the White Covers Thread. I expect to write a review too, since this was a arc netgalley copy, but I think I'll need to settle some ideas before doing it.
In the overall I liked it better than I thought I would. It's told from 7 different points of view, which I generally find interesting (not confusing at all). The voices were pretty well developed.
This POV are from seven teenagers attending the same high school (junior year) when an inappropriate teacher-student affair is found out. Each character is related to a deadly sin, the way they lie to themselves.
It was kind of deep for a young adult. I'll recommend it if you enjoy the genre.

message 28: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I read The Heretic Queen and discussed it in the group discussion thread.

I enjoyed the characters and setting. The author's writing was straight-forward and comfortable, making the characters relatable and easy to connect to. The historical setting was interesting and the political intrigue surrounding the Pharaoh's court was tense without being overly dramatic.

message 29: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2876 comments I read The Missing (Darby McCormick #1) by Chris Mooney and discussed it in the group discussion.

I gave this book 5 stars. I really loved all of the characters. They were very interesting and not too flawed. The plot was well done and had some surprises along the way. I will continue the series since I just love Darby, the main character. She is a CSI investigator and I haven't came across a book that has that occupation in it yet (as the main character).

message 30: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments I finished The Heretic Queen. Should be a good kick off for my 2016 Egyptian reads!

message 31: by Jkmays (new)

Jkmays I read Accidental Saints Finding God in All the Wrong People by Nadia Bolz-Weber . It is a memoir about a Lutheran pastor's unconventional path to the ministry. It is not chronological, but rather liturgical in its presentation, using the church liturgy as a backdrop to tell about her life, her church, her ministry, and the people to whom she ministers.
I posted on the other appropriate thread, I think.

message 32: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments I read Fifth Business by Robertson Davies for my white cover book this month and discussed it in the White Cover thread. Despite my ragged copy, it was a great read. The way in which it is written is elegant and entertaining. I highly recommend it.

message 33: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 483 comments I read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation Eats, Shoots & Leaves The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss for white cover and discussed it in the December 2015 - White Covers thread.

It was an interesting book about punctuations with some history of it. The author explains the loss of knowledge or interest in proper use of punctuation. I enjoyed reading the book.

message 34: by Joan (new)

Joan Lanelle wrote: "Joan wrote: "Have you read Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions It is one of my favorites ."

I've seen it around, but I've never taken the time to read it. It sounds...odd. What did you like abo..."

Lanelle - I loved that it turned my perception of the world up-side down; that it is a brilliant allegory for life and that I helped me better understand what physicists mean by multiple dimensions. The analogy of a bowling ball on a mattress does not help me understand space/time but Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions did.

message 35: by Joan (last edited Dec 30, 2015 05:10PM) (new)

Joan Poongothai wrote: "I read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation Eats, Shoots & Leaves The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss for white cover and discussed..."

have you seen the grammar mugs at CafePress?
I especially love the
"Let's eat Grandma" ...
commas save lives ...
"Let's eat, Grandma"

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments I read The Winter People and discussed it in the group discussion thread. I usually don't read horror books, assuming I won't like them at all, but I may have to reassess that after this. It was intriguing. Maybe I'm ready for Stephen King now.

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments You're ready, Sharon... especially since not all King's books are horror. He recent trilogy, Mr. Mercedes is case in point. There have been hints of something supernatural happening in the third book, but it hasn't been published yet. I'm really looking forward to that final book.

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I did not make it this month, Sarah. I started my book but never picked it up again after my first status update. I think this is the first group read I have missed all year. Oh well!

message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Oh no! Not to worry Cherie. December can be a pretty full on month. Here's to many more group reads in 2016.

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Badges are posted. Let me know if I've missed you.

message 41: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2016 02:58AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17558 comments Am I entitled to one even if I am still going? If not all good.

Am reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which I started on Christmas day and got derailed by sickness. It's been a wild ride so far, with a dream within a dream feel. I'm not sure how it's going to end, but I definitely recommend it. For nothing else besides Murakami's storytelling and writing, but I think, depending on the ending of course, I may like this one more than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I'd say yes Rusalka! The badges for the group reads are awarded for the discussion and you've been discussing the book over in the buddy read thread. Many of us have abandoned reading a book due to not liking it but badges have still been awarded if people have discussed it. It's not the same as the challenges where it has to be read within that month to qualify, after all, we award badges for those who have read a book months prior to the group read (as long as they discuss it). I'll see to it that a badge makes it to your wall.

message 43: by Ariane (last edited Jan 04, 2016 03:24AM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Oops I didn't report mine... but maybe it's too late ;)
I've read Room by Emma Donoghue and shared my thoughts on it in the white covers thread.
I still don't know if I really liked it; the beginning was good, the story was original and emotional and great, but the way it is written was too repetitive for me.
I gave it three stars, it was a "meh" book for me.

message 44: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Not too late Ariane. What did you think of it? (So I don't have to trawl through the thread).

message 45: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Sarah wrote: "Not too late Ariane. What did you think of it? (So I don't have to trawl through the thread)."

I just edited my post to write my thoughts on it ;)

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Thanks Ariane. A badge is finding it's way on to your wall right now.

message 47: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Any more for any more? I know Christmas and New Year may well have delayed people reporting.

message 48: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Sarah wrote: "Thanks Ariane. A badge is finding it's way on to your wall right now."

thank you!