You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Heretic Queen
This topic is about The Heretic Queen
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2015 - The Heretic Queen

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments One of the group reads for December is The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. Please discuss the book in this thread.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during December 2015.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 449 comments Started reading today

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I'm excited this was picked! I'll be starting it mid-month, but am looking forward to it. This has been on my TBR for a while and I like historical fiction.

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 449 comments I'm about half way through. I'm liking the writing style and the story is very interesting.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments What do you like about the writing style Tammy? I've not read anything by this author before. The setting sounds interesting.

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 449 comments Writing style is clear and interesting. Nice descriptions and emotions brought out. I've just hit an interesting part, reading from a Christian perspective.

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 449 comments I finished this morning. Wondering if anyone else has started reading? Who is your favorite character so far?

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Only you at the moment Tammy by the looks of it. But feel free to discuss the book in here anyway and then when others start reading they can respond to your thoughts then.

message 9: by Lilisa (last edited Dec 13, 2015 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lilisa | 2403 comments I hope to start the book later this week. I've read four of Michelle Moran's books and enjoyed them all so can't wait to dive into this one - sounds like you loved it Tammy. What made it a 5 star for you?

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 449 comments I really liked how the author was able to place and involve the reader in the story. I thought the writing style was clean and interesting. There was interwoven story lines making it interesting. I liked the fact and fiction aspects interwoven as well. The author has a couple page description at the end of the book discussing what is fact and fiction. There is also a glossary at the end of the book, which is helpful.

message 11: by Lilisa (last edited Dec 21, 2015 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lilisa | 2403 comments I finished The Heretic Queen and gave it 4 stars. I love historical fiction and enjoy how Michelle Moran brings these ancient characters to life - Ramesses II and the jockeying for power between his wives Nefertari and Iset. The intense plotting, planning, intrigue and the struggle for power reminds us that ancient times were no different than today. I love Moran's research and enjoy learning about life in the 13th century B.C. Nefertari was one heck of a gal!

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 449 comments Lilisa, I agree. So brave. I don't think I would have been as brave in the situation.

Lilisa | 2403 comments Tammy wrote: "Lilisa, I agree. So brave. I don't think I would have been as brave in the situation."

:-) I would have probably hung out and become a priestess!

message 14: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 23, 2015 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments This is my first time to read a book by this author, and I thought the book was interesting. I like the way we were introduced to the characters as children at the beginning of the book. Of course, the book became rather predictable with the relationships among Iset, Nefertari, and Ramesses II.
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 23, 2015 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments (view spoiler)

Lilisa | 2403 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Yes, the priestess part was rather interesting, hence my comment above - :-)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I'm about half way through this and am enjoying it quite a bit. I'm finding that Nefertari is a well written blend of young and mature - her passing from childhood to womanhood isn't as angst ridden as it could've been and she seems to have a good head on her shoulders. I'm looking forward to her taking on Iset, I always love when brains beats beauty (although Nefertari has both)

The political intrigue is interesting in that it seems all driven by women -Woserit and Henuttawy both seem formidable.

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments Finished this the night before Christmas, and I enjoyed the characters and setting. The political intrigue surrounding the Pharaoh's court was tense without being overly dramatic.

message 19: by Almeta (last edited Dec 27, 2015 04:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Just picked this up yesterday. Working again at the "last minute"!

I'm a bit worried about keeping track of the genealogy and shifting of power to "non-royal" bloodlines. I hope that I don't get lost!

Only at the point when the three friends are being separated by their circumstances. Nefertari is being set adrift with no support. I think she is going to be a lonely girl.

message 20: by Almeta (last edited Dec 27, 2015 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Ooooh, don't you just want to slap Iset?

AND I so wish Ramses could stand up with more backbone. Of course he is merely a child as well and needs to recognize his powerful feet.

I think Asha might have recognized Nefertari's potential way earlier.

Both Asha and Ramses seem to look at their coming war like a child's game. Do you think that their eyes will be opened when the bloodshed starts?

message 21: by Almeta (last edited Dec 28, 2015 03:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments Interesting to hear some of the biblical story of Moses from a different perspective.

Igot a little annoyed at this tendency to withhold information from Ramses.

Enjoyed the book. Gave it 4 stars.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Heretic Queen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michelle Moran (other topics)