Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book with a protagonist that has your occupation (see also The Jobs Folder)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 301 (301 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments A book with a protagonist that has your occupation ... This should present enough challenges for everyone. Hey, if you come across a book written by a health reform manager, let me know.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Or a Chemist!! I'm hoping to find a cozy mystery with a nerdy chemist as the protagonist who stumbles across things a la Murder She Wrote!!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Looking for suggestions for a character that is a secretary...I feel like this should be easy but I'm drawing a blank.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments What about the cuckoo's calling or one of Robert galbraith's other books? One of the 2 protagonists is the detective's secretary.

message 5: by Nenda (new)

Nenda | 21 comments I'll read The Constant Gardener because the protagonist is a diplomat, like me.

message 6: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Nenda wrote: "I'll read The Constant Gardener because the protagonist is a diplomat, like me."

Very cool, Nenda! Once upon a time, that was my career aspiration too.

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments I'm a teacher so maybe The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments My current job is a bartender (server/busser would work, too, though), but I just graduated this year with my MA in counseling, so a therapist would work, as well. Any suggestions?

message 9: by Neptunalia (new)

Neptunalia (wxguesser1800) Sara wrote: "Or a Chemist!! I'm hoping to find a cozy mystery with a nerdy chemist as the protagonist who stumbles across things a la Murder She Wrote!!"

Although these books are geared toward young adults, they all feature female protagonists who excel in STEM fields: http://www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com/2...

message 10: by Neptunalia (new)

Neptunalia (wxguesser1800) I'm an earth scientist so I'm thinking of reading "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft because the protagonist is a geologist. Although I'm a geophysicist and not a geologist, I'm thinking any subdiscipline of earth science is close enough.

message 11: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments Katherine wrote: "My current job is a bartender (server/busser would work, too, though), but I just graduated this year with my MA in counseling, so a therapist would work, as well. Any suggestions?"

Desmond Miles, the protagonist of the Assassin's Creed video game series, is a bartender. I'm sure there are some spin off novels or comic books about his life.

The Draco Tavern by Larry Niven and Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson are both scifi books about bartenders at galactic space bars with different alien regulars.

Also, I believe the titular Rosie of The Rosie Project is a bartender.

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Torey Hayden is a psychologist and her non fiction books are fantastic! Ghost Girl is my favourite.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I used to be a secretary but I am now on disability due to my epilepsy. So should I pick a secretary or a protagonist with epilepsy?

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Adria wrote: "Sara wrote: "Or a Chemist!! I'm hoping to find a cozy mystery with a nerdy chemist as the protagonist who stumbles across things a la Murder She Wrote!!"

Although these books are geared toward young adults, they all feature female protagonists who excel in STEM fields..."

Thanks Adria! The cover of The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate has caught my eye several times in the library, but I hadn't read the description before. I have a biology degree so a bio related story isn't too far off the mark :)

I also came across this list for science related books: http://www.lablit.com/the_list#novels

I found one on there that involves a Chemistry professor. I am certainly not a professor, but it will still work.

message 15: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I used to be a secretary but I am now on disability due to my epilepsy. So should I pick a secretary or a protagonist with epilepsy?"

As was mentioned above, Robin Ellacot, deuteragonist of Cuckoo's Calling is a secretary, and I will never not recommend those books because they are amazing!

Buuuuuut there are some pretty interesting books about people with epilepsy too! Both Julius Caesar and Caligula had epilepsy and there are a ton of great books about them both fiction and non-fiction. My favorite is I, Claudius. However, even though Caligula is unarguably the best character in that book he is more a strongly featured subject than the protagonist (Claudius), so depending how close to the prompt you want to stick, you might want to pick any of the numerous books about Gaius Caesar or Caligula.

Prince Myshkin from The Idiot, which is an amazing book, also has epilepsy. I think Dostoevsky had epilepsy as well and actually several of his characters have the condition, one of the titular Karamazov brothers has it as well.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments If anyone knows about book about a clinical pharmacist, please let me know! Otherwise, I'll have to go with another medical professional but it would be really cool to find a pharmacy-ish book!

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan (megabou) | 64 comments The other challenge I'm doing has this same prompt. I work in a mental hospital so I picked One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for this one! I will try to see if I can find another one.

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think I read a book where the pharmacist is one of the suspects, but not the main character.

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Lauren wrote: "If anyone knows about book about a clinical pharmacist, please let me know! Otherwise, I'll have to go with another medical professional but it would be really cool to find a pharmacy-ish book!"

They should write more books with scientists as protagonists. We would make great amateur sleuths because we are trained to be observant! :)

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I thought you would like this :)

http://hubpages.com/literature/PHARMA...

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments That article reminded me of a book with an old school pharmacist. It's called The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen. It's been a few years since I read it, but I remember enjoying it.

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments Megan wrote: "Looking for suggestions for a character that is a secretary...I feel like this should be easy but I'm drawing a blank."

I read a mystery this year called Mr. Churchill's Secretary. It was pretty fun.

message 23: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5336 comments Mod
I'm looking for a book about a (mechanical) engineer. The Martian would have been PERFECT, except I read it already. I am surprised that I can't find any others, even in sci fi: lots of scientists, soldiers, pilots, no engineers.

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) How about this, Nadine?

10 Awesome Female Engineers in Science Fiction:
http://io9.com/5974043/10-most-awesom...

message 25: by Nadine (new)

Yeah I got excited when I found that, but they are movies and TV shows! (Unless I missed a book in there? she asked hopefully ...)

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine, check out the link I posted above. I believe there were several books with an engineer character.

message 27: by Nadine (new)

Sara - hey what do you know, there ARE!! I only looked at the first dozen or so and saw all scientists so I stopped looking. But now I'm home and could use ctrl-F to search and already I found a cheesy romance with an electrical engineer :-) That works, close enough!

message 28: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I'm not a librarian but I work in a library checking books and putting them on the shelves. I don't what that is called. Any Ideas?

message 29: by Melody (last edited Dec 09, 2015 04:17AM) (new)

Melody | 202 comments I'm not sure what it's called, but I think the job of the protagonist of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore is pretty similar to what you describe.

message 30: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments Melody wrote: "I'm not sure what it's called, but I think the job of the protagonist of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore is pretty similar to what you describe."

Thanks, I forgot about that book.

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin Adkinson | 18 comments This is a brain buster for me. I'm a Customer Success Manager at a software company....any creative spins on that?

message 32: by Karin (new)

Karin | 9 comments I'm looking for a book where the protagonist is on disability. Or works in a yarn store. Either way not too many options, I'm afraid.

message 33: by Nadine (new)

oh geez, I feel like I read a book w/ a protag who works in a yarn store, a few years back!!!! I'm going to think on that a bit.

I'm not sure what a Customer Success Manager does - describe your job a bit, maybe we can help!

message 34: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Erin: Have you read Disclosure by Michael Crichton? Great book. Movie featured Demi Moore and Michael Douglass.

message 35: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Nadine: Check out The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.

message 36: by Nadine (new)

No it's not The Friday Night Knitting Club but that looks like a good choice, plus when you go to that page it recommends a bunch of other books that involve yarn and knitting (NONE of them are the book I'm thinking of! argh!!) These all look like decent choices!

Turns out there are quite a few websites out there dedicated to listing books involving knitting or yarn! it's quite the sub-genre!! Karin, I think you'll have no problem finding a book :-)

A Bad Day for Sorry by Sophie Littlefield is a mystery with a protagonist who owns a sewing machine and sewing notions shop - I LOVE this author. But this isn't the book I'm thinking of either ...

Howl's Moving Castle features a protagonist who runs a hat shop ...

message 37: by Sooz (new)

Sooz (P.Turners Book Blog) (soozpturner) | 11 comments Ok guys! Here is one....I am an Account Manager and Workflow Planner for a design agency!!

message 38: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments Erin wrote: "This is a brain buster for me. I'm a Customer Success Manager at a software company....any creative spins on that?"

I've been having a similar problem. In January, I'll be starting a new job as a Client Rep at a beauty industry tech startup. I know there are books about people who work in the beauty industry and books about people who work at tech startups and people who do something in the vicinity of a Client Rep, but I feel like my job is very specific, unless someone knows of a magical book out there!

message 39: by Katy (new)

Katy  (kittybimble) This one is stressing me out so I just chose a book that features my dream occupation!

message 40: by Nadine (last edited Dec 20, 2015 06:29AM) (new)

I don't think any of us are going to find books w/ protags that have our specific occupations!!! I know I have zero hope for finding someone who actually does what I do (I'm a mechanical engineer, I design large commercial chillers for a large air conditioning company - just on the off chance that someone has come across a novel w/ a character who designs air conditioners? or pressure vessels? I know I never have ...), I'll just settle for ANY engineer (as I mentioned above, The Martian would have been perfect, but ... I read it already).

For Sooz: this one is probably not so close to what you do (and I honestly have no idea what a Account Manager and Workflow Planner for a design agency does! I don't even know what a "design agency" is!!) but there are three main characters in The Husband's Secret who run a small three-person design/advertising agency. I have no idea if that's close?

message 41: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I'm good with this one lol I'm a teacher and currently stay at home mom, both of those should be relatively easy :)

message 42: by Sooz (new)

Sooz (P.Turners Book Blog) (soozpturner) | 11 comments Nadine wrote: "I don't think any of us are going to find books w/ protags that have our specific occupations!!! I know I have zero hope for finding someone who actually does what I do (I'm a mechanical engineer, ..."

Nadine...that sounds pretty perfect actually!! :) I'll check it out.

Thank you!

message 43: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments Here's a book about a civil/structural engineer. Maybe this will help someone.

http://bigbeacon.org/2012/11/the-jack...

If any of you have worked as a babysitter, you could read The Nanny Diaries.

message 44: by Nadine (new)

I found an engineer book!! (Just in case someone else needs one, too.) I mentioned the Challenge to some coworkers, and one immediately said "The Engineer Trilogy!" (and with a name like that, I can't believe it never showed when I ran searches). Author is K.J. Parker, first book is titled "Devices and Desires," it's a high fantasy, this Roman type guy, an engineer, is sentenced to death, he escapes, and lives in exile with some Germanic type people, and he uses his engineer skills to help the enemy so that he can get back to his family.

The other books looked good but my library didn't have them. So now I have a winner!

message 45: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (molacher) | 12 comments Katy wrote: "This one is stressing me out so I just chose a book that features my dream occupation!"

Great idea!!

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Fraioli (michellefraioli) Any ideas for a teacher and/or school counselor?

Right now I'm considering the Freedom Writers Diary but I would prefer something fictional.

message 47: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments Two novels about teachers are Goodbye Mr. Chips and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. There's always the play The Children's Hour.

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Michelle I just finished reading Learn Me Good by John Pearson. It's not really fiction, but it is very funny :)

message 49: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments One of the protagonists in the casual vacancy by jk Rowling is a school counsellor and another is the deputy headmaster (vice principal in uk schools). I found it a bit boring and the end was depressing but I found it interesting to see how she handled a more adult book after finding so much fame and success as a children's/ya novelist (I'm not sure where hp fits as a series lol I think it depends on the book)

message 50: by Alison (new)

Alison DeGrave (goodreadcomalison_perrin) | 9 comments I'm a customer service rep, so I'm definitely struggling with this one. Any suggestions?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7