Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book that's more than 600 pages

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Ugh. Just ugh.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I'm using Cinder for fairy tale so I'm going to continue the series and then use Winter for my 600 page book.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Megan wrote: "I'm using Cinder for fairy tale so I'm going to continue the series and then use Winter for my 600 page book."

I'm planning to read Winter for this one as well! My niece is getting it for Christmas and she is going to let me borrow it once she has read it.

message 4: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments A Clash of Kings

message 5: by Charline (new)

Charline (charline84) | 29 comments I think I'm going to start the year with this prompt and get it out the way first. I've decided on Under the Dome

message 6: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments I'm thinking War and Peace, but I might go with Vikram Seth' A suitable boy instead

message 7: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5340 comments Mod
I didn't know Winter was going to be 600 pages!! Perfect!! I'm going to read that anyway, might as well use it to fulfill a challenge :-)

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) She probably is following Rowling's rule: when writing a series, each book must be longer than the previous one.

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise Mitchell (denisemitchell) Like others I thought I would get this one out of the way first, so the book I'm going to read is The Lake House by Kate Morton. This is Kate's latest book which I intended to read soon anyway and it just happens to be 606 pages long. Win/win! Really looking forward to the whole challenge

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Denise wrote: "Like others I thought I would get this one out of the way first, so the book I'm going to read is The Lake House by Kate Morton. This is Kate's latest book which I intended to read soon anyway and ..."

I read The Lake House just last month! It was wonderful (like all her books are) and I know you will enjoy it!

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise Mitchell (denisemitchell) Sara wrote: "I read The Lake House just last month! It was wonderful (like all her books are) and I know you will enjoy it!

Excellent, Sara! I've loved all her books but it's always reassuring when someone else has really enjoyed the one you're about to read. Can't wait to get started on it

message 12: by Justine (new)

Justine Gill | 7 comments I'm going with A little life by Hanya Yanagihara. Should be a challenge.

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments I'm going to read Flavor of the Month by Olivia Goldsmith. It's more than 800 pages, but I really like Olivia Goldsmith.

message 14: by Keely (new)

Keely Crilley | 7 comments Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keys
Surprised to discover that is 620 pages.

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 30 comments I'm going with Kate Morton also. The Forgotten Garden is 648, and I've had it on my TBR list for ages.

message 16: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments I'm gonna go with The Wise Man's Fear. With 994 pages that'll do it.

message 17: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 4 comments I like Big Books and I cannot lie....

A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin. I
have been restraining myself because once I've read it, who knows when the next one will actually be published? (The author says this year but I'm not holding my breath)
By the way, hi! Nice to be here, This is my first post.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I picked The Goldfinch for this category, but I would highly recommend The Once and Future King. I'm doing this challenge and the GoodReads Around the Year challenge at the same time, so I'm reading The Once and Future King for a category in that one. It's an amazing book, and very funny!

message 19: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) I am reading Insomnia jeez it has 890 pages!

message 20: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I also plan to read Working. These are all good long books I've read:

A Little Life
Lonesome Dove (top choice! So great.)
A Suitable Boy, but it's huge at around 1500 pages
Gone with the Wind of course
Hawaii and/or Centennial by Michener
Roots
Thornbirds
Helter Skelter
Bonfire of the Vanities
Sophie's Choice
Let the Right One In
Clan of the Cave Bear
Hypnotist by Linna

message 21: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments The once and future King is on my to-read list since forever.

message 22: by Lainie (new)

Lainie (wanderlustaddict) I'm going to read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss- 722 pages.

message 23: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I am considering tackling The Stand for this one. "Considering" being the operative word.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 44 comments My official pick is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire :)

message 25: by Leigh Ann Jones (new)

Leigh Ann Jones | 23 comments I'm going to read East of Eden as soon as it is available at my library. I've always loved John Steinbeck so I am really excited to read this one!

message 26: by CarleyB (last edited Jan 07, 2016 09:04PM) (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments I'm in the middle of The Witching Hour by Ann Rice right now, so I'm going to stick with that one.

The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice The Witching Hour
The Stand by Stephen King The Stand

message 27: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments I'm uncertain about this one. I've had Pillars of the Earth on my TBR for YEARS...but it's over a thousand pages, which might be too long. I may actually go with the opposite strategy to what most people are doing, and save this one til closer to the end, and pick out a "shorter long book" if I'm running out of time...

message 28: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Pillars of the Earth may be long but it's really fast to read.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cyntax) I love long books...I'm going to have a hard time choosing in this category. Some I want to read/recommendations:

NOS4A2
The Woman in White
The Terror
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
House of Leaves
The Blind Assassin
Night Film Extended Sampler (loved)
The Secret History
American Gods
Gone with the Wind (an all time favorite)
City on Fire
The Luminaries
A lot of Stephen King's are over 600 pages.
The Game of Thrones series.

message 30: by Anja (new)

Anja Calabrese | 7 comments Halfway through The woman in white,cant wait to finish it ,so i can watch a movie version,love the book so far!

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura Parker I will be reading Angels & Demons by Dan Brown which clocks in at 713 pages

message 32: by Carey (new)

Carey | 12 comments I may read Written in My Own Heart's Blood. It's 825 pages. But I'm afraid with real life that it may take me more than a month to read.

message 33: by Marion (new)

Marion (dogear) | 10 comments Rachel, I loved the Goldfinch! Enjoy.

message 34: by Charlotte (last edited Jan 21, 2016 07:55AM) (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I plan on reading Winter of the World by Ken Follett. It's the second book in the Century Trilogy. I absolutely loved Fall of Giants (also well over 600 pages).

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Natchez Burning by Greg Iles

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Natchez Burning by Greg Iles

message 37: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I want to really recommend Cathedral of the Sea, Pillars of the Earth and Gone with the Wind - they are all really great, if you're considering them.

I'm 230~ ish pages into A Dance with Dragons :)

message 38: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments I just received A Wise Man Fear. I can't wait to start it.

message 39: by Regan (new)

Regan (mollytornado) I'm going to read American Gods by Neil Gaiman for this one. I've read the first two volumes of Sandman. I liked the first, but not the second. I've also read Coraline, which was enjoyable enough, but if American Gods doesn't capture me, I'll probably pass on Gaiman in the future.

Rachel wrote: "I picked The Goldfinch for this category, but I would highly recommend The Once and Future King. I'm doing this challenge and the GoodReads Around the Year challenge at..."

I second The Once and Future King by T.H. White as a great read over 600 pages.

message 40: by Lisa Hudecek (new)

Lisa Hudecek I used 11/22/63 for my long book. Thank you, Stephen King for your wordiness.

message 41: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Lisa wrote: "I used 11/22/63 for my long book. Thank you, Stephen King for your wordiness."

Cool, I'm reading this for "book that becomes a movie 2016" - though it's a stretch, Hulu is releasing a TV show based on the book, and the book has been on in my TBR pile since summer.

message 42: by Donna (new)

Donna Craig | 9 comments I am reading Poland by James Michener. I haven't read him before, so I hope I enjoy it!

message 43: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

message 44: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I am really struggling with this prompt. I wanted to read Stephen King's original published version of The Stand but can't find it. I am considering reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix but realized it is 800+ pages and that's why I didn't read it 15 years ago. Ugh!

message 45: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5340 comments Mod
Juanita wrote: "I am really struggling with this prompt. I wanted to read Stephen King's original published version of The Stand but can't find it. I am considering reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoeni..."

Harry Potter is a fine choice! I don't like long books either (because there are SO MANY other books out there and I want to read them allllll and I don't want to devote a huge chunk of my life to just one book!!), and HP is a real page turner, just like the rest of the series. Didn't feel like a "long book" at all.

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreamazing) | 5 comments Whoever recommended "Pretty Girls..." Thank you thank you thank you. So good!

message 47: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Murray | 9 comments Just finished reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R Martian. It took me awhile but it was still pretty good. I watched the showed and honestly enjoyed it a lot more due to it's quick pace. Now I want to read the comic books.

A Game of Thrones A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading Citadel (Languedoc, #3) by Kate Mosse Citadel by Kate Mosse for this prompt.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 49: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoephare) I'm holding out hope that Winds of Winter will be out relatively soon and I'll use that as my book over 600 pages. No doubt it will be seeing as all the others are!

message 50: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I used The Brothers Karamazov for this first, but I used that for my other challenge as well, so when I got into The Lunar Chronicles and unexpectedly fell in love with it - replaced it with Winter.

I managed to find a spot for all Lunar Chronicles book plus a prequel... all because of picking up Cinder for this challenge. And I am not even an impressionable youth! :)

« previous 1