You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Random Toppler

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments For this Toppler you will need to list five books as possibilities. If you think you might read five or more books in the 24 hour period, list ten books.

Then you will use www.random.org to pick a number. On the right side of the screen you'll see a box saying True Random Number Generator. Minimum will be 1, and maximum will be the number of books on your list. You will then generate as many numbers as books you think you might read. There's no penalty for generating too many numbers. So if you think you'll read two books but only read one, you'll be fine.

The Toppler will be noon Saturday, December 12th, to noon Sunday, December 13th, EST. I'm sure someone can help with time conversion, I'd just confuse you.

A few rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For the last two use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
3. Each book must be at least 150 pages.
4. Toppler books can count toward the monthly challenge, the group theme read, and the yearly challenge if they qualify.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (last edited Nov 29, 2015 11:35PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Each participant should have one post listing their books and their generated number(s). Once that is done I'll post the tasks for the numbers.

message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments My random numbers: 3, 4

My book choices:
Skin Deep (208pgs)
Fahrenheit 451 (227pgs)
InterWorld (239pgs)
Sons of Anarchy: Bratva (256pgs)
The Last Town (285pgs)

I'm likely to only read one book but I've generated 2 numbers just for the hell of it.

message 4: by Teanka (last edited Dec 06, 2015 01:37PM) (new)

Teanka My random numbers: (removed the 6 which was listed first)

My books:
O Pioneers! (176 pp)
The Awakening (195 pp)
The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (224 pp)
Envy of Angels (225 pp)
Surfacing (199 pp)

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Dec 01, 2015 04:52AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments My random numbers: 3, 2

Book choices:
The Dumb House - 224pp
Book Collector - 176pp
Florence and Giles - 261pp
White is for Witching - 245pp
A Dead Man in Deptford - 288pp

I will probably only read one book but I generated two numbers just in case.

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2015 03:46AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Magic Bites - 260pp
Guilty Pleasures - 327pp
The Lives of Christopher Chant - 336pp
Delirium - 408pp
Mike and Psmith - 244pp

Numbers: 4. But as why the hell not (but we all know I struggle to finish one book in 24 hr Topplers), second number is 5

message 7: by Sam F (last edited Dec 06, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

Sam F | 246 comments Sam F: Here is my list - will try for one, but rolled 2 #s - 4, 5.

1. The Piano Man's Daughter - 490 pgs
2. Yellow Vengeance - 368 pgs
3. Fifth Business - 252 pgs
4. Life As We Knew It - 337 pgs
5. A is for Alibi - 320 pgs

message 8: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:40PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments My Choices are:

1. Lady by Thomas Tryon = 352 pages
2. The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham = 352 Pages
3. The Cutting Edge by Darcia Helle= 234 Pages
4. The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck = 188 Pages
5. Harbor Lights by Sherryl Woods = 400 Pages

RANDOM NUMBERS: 3

I think I can read 1, possibly 2 books.

message 9: by CFDeeDee (new)

CFDeeDee Lets see how would I do in this toppler !
My roll landed on 2.

My list is:
1. The Giver - 224 pages.
2. The Outsiders - 218 pages.

Hope this time I finish the book ^^"

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 05, 2015 06:03PM) (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments My Numbers:
I'll probably only read one or maybe two.

New Order: 3, 1, 4, 1

My Books:
The Christmas Train - 150p
Skipping Christmas - 198p
The Neon Lawyer - 178p
A Study in Scarlet - 162p
I Am Legend - 160p

First pick:
3 - most interesting cover: Skipping Christmas
1 - shortest: The Christmas Train
4 - someone else's pick: ??
1 - shortest:

message 12: by Lanelle (last edited Dec 05, 2015 04:14PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments I'm pretty sure I'll only be able to read one book that day.
My random number is : 3

My five books:
Wired Love: A Romance of Dots and Dashes
My Family and Other Animals
Miss Santa Claus of the Pullman
The Hanged Man
The Cricket on the Hearth

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Are you having problems with autocorrect there Aaron? I've made some hilarious mistakes especially with the GR app.

message 14: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments For this Toppler you will need to list five books as possibilities.

So those of you who have six will need to get rid of one, and those of you with two will need to add three more.

message 15: by Tejas Janet (last edited Dec 04, 2015 06:21PM) (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments My random numbers are 5 and 2.

My five books are:
1. Spiced: A Pastry Chef's True Stories of Trials by Fire, After-Hours Exploits, and What Really Goes on in the Kitchen (288 pages)
2. Cranford (257 pages)
3. The Egg and I (288 pages)
4. Farewell Summer (211 pages)
5. The Dalai Lama's Cat (217 pages)

message 16: by Debra (last edited Dec 02, 2015 11:59AM) (new)

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to participate. I'll be visiting my father. I'll pick 5 books and see where it leads. Will post those 5 later on.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9409 comments THREE MEN IN A BOAT is perfect for a toppler, Kimey. It's short, quick and funny.

message 20: by Almeta (last edited Dec 12, 2015 03:36AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Here are my five chosen books:

The Road To Ruin (Dortmunder, #11) by Donald E. Westlake Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer The House Without a Key (Charlie Chan, #1) by Earl Derr Biggers One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie, #2) by Kate Atkinson A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

Numbers 3, 2, 3

message 21: by CFDeeDee (new)

CFDeeDee Do I have to list 5 books?!
I only could find 2 on my list which are suitable !

message 22: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments All books are suitable CFDeeDee if they are over 150 pages. No theme this toppler. Just choose 5 books you might like to read, generate a random number and await further instructions.

message 23: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Sandra wrote: "THREE MEN IN A BOAT is perfect for a toppler, Kimey. It's short, quick and funny."

I've been meaning to read it for years and have never gotten around to it because I worry I won't really like it because it is a "classic" and I really struggle with classics.
I figured it would make a good toppler read since it is short. And maybe if it is chosen for me, I'll finally make myself read it! LOL.

message 24: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments CFDeeDee wrote: "Do I have to list 5 books?!
I only could find 2 on my list which are suitable !"

Sarah's right. These aren't necessarily books you need to read for challenge, they're ones you want to read for whatever reason. Maybe a holiday story, or a good mystery, or whatever sounds good to you.

message 25: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments My dad has been in the hospital most of the month of November and is still there. I hope to be able to participate in the toppler (at least sneak in one book) but will not know until closer to the 12th. I have been missing book club threads. : )

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Sorry to hear about your dad, Connie. I hope he rallies and is out of hospital soon. Hugs!

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9409 comments Connie, I'm sorry. I hope he gets better soon.

message 28: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Listed 5 books J'mom

message 29: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "My dad has been in the hospital most of the month of November and is still there. I hope to be able to participate in the toppler (at least sneak in one book) but will not know until closer to the ..."

Sorry to hear about your father Connie. Sending restful thoughts.

Hope you can join in on the Toppler.

message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Sorry to hear about your Dad, Connie. Been missing you right back.

message 32: by Ariane (last edited Dec 02, 2015 02:48AM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Random number: 4

I'll be working on that weekend, but I can try read one of those:

Code Lupin: Un Da Vinci code normand
Le Mouron Rouge
Pleins de vie
L'homme aux cercles bleus
L'éveil

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I won't be participating in the toppler after all. My sister has now decided to come visit Dad on the same weekend and there's no chance I'll get any reading done now. First toppler missed! Waaaaa!

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Wow Janice. I plan to participate but I'm not sure whether I'll actually finish a book or not.

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Sarah wrote: "Wow Janice. I plan to participate but I'm not sure whether I'll actually finish a book or not."

Okay... I'll list 5 books and roll a number. I don't know if the book will get started or finished, but at least I'll give it a go.

1. The Last Quarrel: Episode 1 (150 pgs)
2. Arthur (154 pgs)
3. Everflame (175 pgs)
4. The Embroidered Corpse (186 pgs)
5. The Forgotten Ones (197 pgs)

Ha! I rolled number 1

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9409 comments You always can listen some good book while driving to you dad's. :)

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I arrive at my dad's on Thursday afternoon, so my time on the road won't coincide with the toppler. We might all be bored with each other by Saturday and nobody will mind if I bury my face in a book. I'll just play it by ear.

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9409 comments :) Sounds like a plan!

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sorry to hear about your Dad, Connie. I hope he gets better soon. Sending hugs and good wishes your way.

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Oh Connie! I hope your Dad gets better soon :) sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

message 42: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Waaaa is right, Janice!

Connie, you and your dad are in my thoughts. Hugs!

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments The reading window is closing rather rapidly. When my brother learned that my sister and I were going to be there, he said, "Food! Prezzies! Fun! We'll be there." LOL!

message 44: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments you are obviously too much fun to be around Janice!

message 46: by Sharon (last edited Dec 06, 2015 01:23AM) (new)

message 47: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Connie, I hope your Dad is doing alright. I hope you're finding ways to take care of yourself too.

message 48: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I've put 5 really short books on hold at the library that are all available. I don't know if I'll be able to finish one since I'll be at my dad's. I have to teach him how to test his blood sugar (he really doesn't want to stick himself) and we're going on a tour of the grocery store (he thought maybe they had a section for diabetics and he could just go there). At 85 he's stubborn and doesn't always listen the first few times you tell him something. We've already been laughing while planning our chores. ☺ Will also be visiting my brother and his family, and the kids love to play.

Random numbers: 4 and 3 (as a lark)

If You've Got It, Haunt It
The Goddess of Fried Okra
The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Dogsong
Crapalachia: A Biography of a Place

message 49: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Oh,those are all short books i've looked at, too. Hopefully one of them will make you a happy read!

message 50: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2113 comments OMG! I so nearly missed this! Right I'll get my five books chosen then get my numbers...

« previous 1