Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Challenge Levels > Marianne Dashwood Level 6-10 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
Marianne says, “The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!”

Post your challenge updates in your own comment. Adding books and their cover links can be accessed by clicking on the 'add book/author' link above the comment box.

message 2: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Back again! Team Marianne!!!!

message 3: by Sophia (new)

But something tells me that you'll be up shaking hands with at least Mr. Crawford this year. :)

message 4: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Sophia wrote: "But something tells me that you'll be up shaking hands with at least Mr. Crawford this year. :)"

(sorry about the Marianne rant here but....) Sorry but no, no, no! I will do many things to avoid that level, although it's very likely I won't be able to even read 1/3 that many next year. I greatly despise that character, made far worse by the fact that my favorite AiBer is a huge fan of his and all the (evil) Henrys. We spare about them on a meeting by meeting basis. Lol she's not on Goodreads, as far as I know, so she won't see that level....nevertheless GRRRRR!.

message 5: by Sophia (new)

Okay, maybe crossing swords? I probably just set the cat amongst the pigeons, didn't I? I doubt your friend is the only person to dig the rakes.

Personally, I cracked up when Fanny gave him those set downs. Guy had no idea where to go from there. She saw right through him. Even when he read Shakespeare so well. ;)

message 6: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Sophia wrote: "Okay, maybe crossing swords? I probably just set the cat amongst the pigeons, didn't I? I doubt your friend is the only person to dig the rakes.

Personally, I cracked up when Fanny gave him those..."

Lol, well said you! :) Of course, as I've said too often, I dated a "Mary Crawford" a number of yrs ago...so it's personal! :)

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Yes, that would be a surreal experience dating someone whose name instantly reminded one of a not so savory character. I think I would struggle not to pinch a George Wickham.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lynne | 21 comments I'm back at this level with hopes of surpassing it. My personal goal is to read at least one variation of each Austen novel (besides P&P) before August. Recommendations are welcome. :) Happy reading everybody!

message 9: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Mercy's Embrace looks like a great Persuasion variation!! I'll get to the series one day!!

message 10: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Join the Knightley group read with us in March. That'll cover your Emma read!

message 11: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Willoughby's Return looks good. But I'm a Willoughby fan, so I'm biased.

message 12: by Sophia (new)

That's a great challenge to yourself, Pamela!

And I agree with both Claudine's recommendations.

We are doing a George Knightley read by Barbara Cornthwaite for March, but folks can read it any time. I also liked Joan Aiken's Jane Fairfax.

Mercy's Embrace by Laura Hile and Susan Kaye's Captain Wentworth Duo are good for Persuasion.

Sherwood Smith writes a couple Mansfield Park variations that aren't bad (and they're novellas so go by quickly). I haven't read them yet, but I just got the C. Mitchell Mary Crawford stories that looked good.

Lucia Edgerton writes a couple Sense & Sensibility sequel novellas. And maybe Jane Odiwe's Willoughby's Return might appeal.

It's hard to find Northanger Abbey ones unless they are part of a series. I do have Vera Nazarian's paranormal one on my pile. I liked her P&P PNR spoof well enough so I imagine the NA one would be fun, too. Nachtsturm Castle by Emily Snyder was a fun one.

And Emma & Elizabeth by Ann Mychal are good for The Watsons.

message 13: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments You're amazing Sophia!! Great list.

message 14: by Sophia (new)

You should see Meredith's list at her Austenesque Reviews' blog. Those are the best. :)

message 15: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lynne | 21 comments Squee! Thank you, ladies! I have a new project launching next month and your suggestions are a huge help. Yay! Claudine, you will see that I, too, have a bit of a soft spot for Willoughby.

message 16: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Thanks Pamela! I can't wait for your next project!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments I'm still doing the Marianne level with a hope to surpass.

message 18: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2 comments Hey, Everyone! I'm choosing Marianne this year. Sadly, I didn't make my goal for 2015 by one book. Hopefully, I can complete this level! haha! Happy New Year!! Thanks for hosting this challenge again, Sophia Rose!

message 19: by Sophia (new)

@ Lisa- Yes, best wishes on going past this level and into the next.

@Candy- ah, one? No way. Bummer. Hope to see you do it this year and very glad to see you back. You're Welcome! It's fun having a group for the challenge. :)

message 20: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2 comments @Candy- ah, one? No way. Bummer. Hope to see you do it this year and very glad to see you back. You're Welcome! It's fun having..."

@Sophia Rose - I know, right? Haha! I've been putting together my 2015 challenge wrap up. I realized I had completed this challenge by one book! Yay! Although, I had to count some of my books published in 2015, but some I had counted anyway because I didn't realize they were that new! It was getting too confusing, so I just counted them all! --- That's what I'm going to do this year too. Count all Austenesque books I read because they usually sit around a couple of months before I get to them anyway! LOL! Like many of you, I have way too many books to read and I can't keep up!

message 21: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments Candy, that is what I did, counted all Austenesque books I read. Otherwise I would be so confused and would have been in trouble.

message 22: by Sophia (new)

Ladies, this works for me. It would be silly to stick it on the pile and let it sit for a while just to count it since the goal is to reduce and keep the TBR pile manageable. :) I'm pretty sure that my first two Austenesque reads will be the last two I got in December. Haha!

Go for it!

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I recommend searching for captain Wentworth by Jane odiwe. mercys embrace sounds good too

Amanda granges have books from the hero's point of view. Mr tilneys diary is one.
Mansfield revisited I loved

carrie bebris mystery series is good.

Abigail Reynolds Mr darcy noble connections and mistaking her character by maria Grace.

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments joana starnes subsequent proposal is good too. I can't put it down

message 25: by Sophia (new)

That's a good list, Trish. I want to try Mansfield Revisited.

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lynne | 21 comments I just finished Georgian & Regency Houses Explained. It's an interesting read, if you like history and houses. :)

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Well I do like that sort of thing, Pamela. :) But beyond that, I'm researching Georgian era so I could do with a book on the houses. I'll check this one out.

message 28: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lynne | 21 comments Sophia, I read the kindle version, but this is one instance that I think a physical copy would be better. The formatting, with all the illustrations and references, was a bit off.

message 29: by Sophia (new)

Ah, yep, no what you mean. I had that mistake with a clothing Fashions of the period book. Thanks for the tip, Pamela!

message 30: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Lurching out of the 2016 starting gate with....

The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film
Thompson, Emma
The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film by Emma Thompson

A Spot of Sweet Tea: Hopes and Beginnings Short Story Collection
Grace, Maria *
A Spot of Sweet Tea Hopes and Beginnings Short Story Collection by Maria Grace

The World of Jane Austen
Nicolson, Nigel

The World of Jane Austen by Nigel Nicolson

message 31: by Sophia (new)

Great start, Kirk!

I enjoyed World of Jane Austen and the movie book about S&S. Bet it was bittersweet to see Alan Rickman in the movie book.

message 32: by Carmen8094 (new)

Carmen8094 | 40 comments Hello!
Previously I chose Anne Elliot level, but I have a lot of not-austenesque books to read (and to study, ouch!), so I think Marianne Dashwood level is better. Then, we will see :)

This month I have read
That Girl, Darcy A Pride and Prejudice Story by James Ramos

That girl, Darcy by James Ramos.
It was a nice surprise. All the characters (except Mr and Mrs Bennet) are 17-years old boys and girls at their senior year, and the gender roles are reversed.
It is a very funny and sweet story. There are no mature contents.
I am always happy to find a good modern retelling!

Here are my reviews
- on my blog, where it is possible to read in English (I hope Google translator works well...):
http://iltesorodicarta.blogspot.it/20...

-on Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Happy reading!!

message 33: by Sophia (new)

This sounded fun with the gender-swap. Glad it was good, Carmen. I've got it on the list.

And sure, go for this level and maybe reach the next if you read more than you anticipated.

message 34: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments In level(up to 8 books!) now with the following, all good ones:

Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)
Grange, Amanda *
Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5) by Amanda Grange

Pride and Prejudice: ...and Kids | A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Pride and Prejudice ...and Kids by Mary R. Pearce

Jane and the Waterloo Map (Jane Austen Mysteries, #13)
Barron, Stephanie
Jane and the Waterloo Map (Jane Austen Mysteries, #13) by Stephanie Barron

Lizzy Bennet's Diary: Inspired by Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
Williams, Marcia
Lizzy Bennet's Diary Inspired by Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Marcia Williams

Sanditon: Jane Austen's Last Novel Completed
Austen, Jane
Sanditon Jane Austen's Last Novel Completed by Jane Austen

message 35: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Well, I'm just about to graduate from this level, having finished my 10th one this morning!

message 36: by Sophia (new)

Woohoo! Onward and upward. Nicely done, Anji!

message 37: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments The Carriage Ride: a Pride and Prejudice short story
The Carriage Ride a Pride and Prejudice short story by Margaret Gale
Didn't care for it too much.

Teatime Tales: Short and Sweet Austen-Inspired Stories
Brown, Leenie
Teatime Tales Short and Sweet Austen-Inspired Stories by Leenie Brown
Enjoy these much more. Goodbye sweet Marianne...none have loved you but me....and those dead leaves too....:(

message 38: by Sophia (new)

Sad to see your dear Marianne go, but its for a great reason. Neatly accomplished and I noted that you're well established at the Anne level. :)

I do believe I have these Teatime Tales on my list for reads this year so I like seeing that you enjoyed them.

message 39: by Carmen8094 (new)

Carmen8094 | 40 comments Hello! In February I read two Amish retellings by Sarah Price.

The Matchmaker (The Amish Classics, #2) by Sarah Price (The matchmaker). It was a very nice retelling of "Emma". I liked the way the author adapted Jane Austen's novel in the Amish world. Above all I liked the way it is told that, at one point, Emma's world seems to go upside down. 4/5

Second Chances An Amish Retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion (The Amish Classics, #3) by Sarah Price (Second chances). It is a retelling of "Persuasion", that is my favourite novel. Perhaps for this reason, I expected too much from this book, that seems not so weel-finished like the others. It was fun to read, however. 3/5

Reviews coming soon.
Happy reading for this new month!!

message 40: by Sophia (new)

Oh cool, Carmen!

I just got the Sense & Sensibility one to read, but hadn't read the others. I tend to be a little more critical when its a retelling of my favorite one, too. I'll have to check out your reviews.

Great on getting two more read.

message 41: by Sophia (new)

Yay! Congrats for moving up a level, Loren. I'll have to check out your review.

message 42: by Sophia (new)

Yeah, that's tough to have a disappointing book when it's a tour book.

message 43: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments I agree too. I thought the story was really good but the intimidate scenes seemed to "rub" people the wrong way. I'm sure her next book will take these reviews into consideration.

message 44: by Maria (new)

Maria | 29 comments I didn't imagine that book was like that! In the blurb it say it's recommended for mature audiences but I thought it was OK. I think I'll pass...

message 45: by Kristin (new)

Kristin These are the books I have read so far this year :
Austenland :I
A Weekend with Mr. Darcy :I
Unleashing Mr. Darcy :D
Mister Darcy's Dogs: A Mister Darcy series comedic mystery :I
Whatever Love Is :)

I a couple more books I will be reading this year including and advanced copy of Eligible by Curtis Sittenfield :)

message 46: by Carmen8094 (new)

Carmen8094 | 40 comments The way you judged the books is really nice and funny, Kristin!

message 47: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Carmen8094 wrote: "The way you judged the books is really nice and funny, Kristin!"

message 48: by Sophia (new)

Nice stack of reads, Kristin!

And yes, Carmen's right, cute rating system. :) I still need to read Austenland.

message 49: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Thanks :)I found Austenland a bit boring, I much preferred the film

message 50: by Sophia (new)

I've heard that. I'm keeping my expectations low. :)

« previous 1 3 4