2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > December Challenge: Advent Calendar

Comments Showing 1-50 of 336 (336 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments ADVENT CALENDAR CHALLENGE
Duration: December 1 - December 31, 2015

Many countries around the world use advent calendars or Christmas calendars to celebrate the month of December. For some people, the calendar has religious significance, but for others it's a secular, non-religious tradition.

For this challenge, there are two options:

A) Starting on Dec. 1 and ending on Dec. 24, read a short story (or a poem!) every day. Use stories or poems from collections, magazines, or the internet - there's lot of good short fiction available for free from many publishers.

B) Starting on Dec. 1: Split a novel into 24 chunks and portion your reading so that you read the last chunk on Dec. 24. (Ideally the novel has 24 chapters to start with! But as long as you can manage to count out even-sized* chunks, it'll work.)

* Most calendars provide a bigger treat for Dec 24.

Any novel or bunch of stories will work - but seasonal themes like winter, kindness, family, friendship, gift-giving, etc will definitely work well with the whole spirit of the season.

If you'd rather keep reading past the 24th, you're welcome to try for the whole month!

Karina is the creator and leader of this challenge. Thank you, Karina!

message 2: by Karina (last edited Jan 01, 2016 07:26AM) (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Participants
Adria | 24/24 + sliced-up-novel: 24/24 - FINISHED!
Alisia | 24/24 - FINISHED!
Amy (other Amy) | 23/31 + poems: 23/31
Angela | 31/31 - FINISHED!
Anna | 2/24
Ashley | 0/24
Blagica | 29/31 + sliced-up-novel: 24/24
Caro | 24/24 + sliced-up-novel: VI/XII
Cassandra | 30/31
ChrisR | 24/24 - FINISHED!
Clare | 24/24 - FINISHED!
Debra | sliced-up-novel: 24/24 - FINISHED!
Erika | 0/24
Frugalitymom | sliced-up-novel: 0/24
Jane | 24/24 - FINISHED!
Karina | 31/31 - FINISHED!
Lulu | 5/24
Mallory Heart | 24/24 + sliced-up-novel: 24/24 - FINISHED!
Melissa | 9/31
Nadia | sliced-up-novel: 0/24
Natasha | 0/24
Nicole | 24/24 - FINISHED!
Nicole W | 31/31 - FINISHED!
Ragna | 0/25
Reija | 24/24 - FINISHED!
Renee | 24/24 - FINISHED!
Sam | 25/25 - FINISHED!
Sam F | sliced-up-novel: 24/24 - FINISHED!
Stefani - SpelingExpirt | 34/31 - FINISHED!
Tasha | sliced-up-novel: 0/24

message 3: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Last-month-of-the-year-challenge, hello! (I mean, hello? Where'd you go, 2015?)

Are people in this group mostly novel-readers? I know I am - short stories are rarely my first choice, even though they can be awesome, and even though there is a massive stockpile of anthologies and collections on my e-reader.

I can't wait to see what everyone else is reading!

---

There are plenty of short stories available for free online, too. Examples include, but are in no way limited to:

Free short stories by Neil Gaiman

10 free stories by George Saunders

100 great (classic) short stories

message 4: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm definitely a novel reader, but I also enjoy short stories. I mostly forget about them, which is why I love this challenge. I reserved a couple of short story collections at the library and I'm sure I'll find some on the internet as well. I know that once I start, I probably won't be able to restrict myself to only one short story, so I'll need more than 24 for the month.

If you can't tell, I'm in for the short story option.

message 5: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Cassandra wrote: "I'm definitely a novel reader, but I also enjoy short stories. I mostly forget about them, which is why I love this challenge. I reserved a couple of short story collections at the library and I'm ..."

I wrote you up for all of December - 31 stories - do correct me if necessary!

I've got a few collections I'm looking forward to, especially China Miéville's Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories. And I think my Dec 24 special treat is going to be a novella, just because.

message 6: by Cassandra (last edited Nov 27, 2015 04:13PM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Thanks for mentioning that collection - I just put it on hold at my library. I've been meaning to read something by China Miéville and short stories seem like a great place to start.

Also, I'm realizing that all of the short stories I'm planning on reading are a bit creepy. I should try to find something cheery for the season too.

message 7: by Caro (last edited Nov 27, 2015 04:56PM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 968 comments These sounds interesting and motivating. I have several books that are short stories so reading one per day will keep me motivated, also there is a book that I can try to search if it has 24 chapters or divide in 24. I think that this calendar Advent is a better idea than the chocolate calendar that I was planning to buy.... So I will do both

message 8: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Added you, Caro!

(Of course, correct me if I misunderstand your signup, or you want to make a change to it!)

message 10: by Angela Jr. (last edited Dec 31, 2015 02:29AM) (new)

Angela Jr. i would like to participate as well!

i'm planning on reading i am the messenger by markus zusak and a christmas carol as buddy reads during december and i'm currently in the middle of the complete sherlock holmes. i have 18 short stories to go until the next novel, so instead of a complete 24 i'll try to read 20 stories during the whole month, if that's ok.

sherlock holmes stories:
1. the man with the twisted lip
2. the blue carbuncle
3. the speckled band
4. the engineer's thumb
5. the noble bachelor
6. the beryl coronet
7. the copper beeches
8. silver blaze
9. the yellow face
10. the stockbroker's clerk
11. the "gloria scott"
12. the musgrave ritual
13. the reigate squires
14. the crooked man
15. the resident patient
16. the greek interpreter
17. the naval treaty
18. the final problem

19. a christmas carol
20. i am the messenger

since i'm really enjoying this challenge, i decided to change my goal to 31!

"Modern Short Stories One"
21. The Peaches by Dylan Thomas
22. The Wedge-Tailed Eagle by Geoffrey Dutton
23. Her First Ball by Katherine Mansfield
24. Ha'penny by Alan Paton
25. The Rain Horse by Ted Hughes
26. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber
27. The Road by James Hanley
28. Growing Up by Joyce Cary
29. Lie Thee Down, Oddity! by T. F. Powys
30. Samphire by Patrick O'Brian
31. Tickets, Please by D. H. Lawrence

31/31

message 11: by Clare (last edited Dec 27, 2015 01:09PM) (new)

Clare Skeets | 916 comments I'm in, going with option A. Will try for all 24. Have a few short story collections that I can use although mostly ghost and horror ones so will check out some of the free ones and see if I can find some seasonal ones as well.

24/24

1 Why the Yew Tree Lives So Long by Kate Mosse The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales
2 On Harting Hill by Kate Mosse The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales
3 The Ghosts of Christmas Paul Cornell from Tor.com
4 Some Gods of El Paso" by Maria Dahvana Headley from Tor
5 Hello Hello by Seanan McGuire from Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft
6 Thursday at the Ritz-Carlton by Jean Louise from Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
7 Into the Ether by Tiffany Cherney from Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
8 The Gambino Theater Gambit by Nathan Williams from Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
9 Deadly Beauty by Sarah L Carter from Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
10 The Frog Prince by LE ParinStories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
11 Gold, Frankincense and Murder by Catherine Aird from The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries
12 Joy: A Kate Redman Short Story for Christmas
13 In the Theatre at Night from The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales
14 The Little chill by Lindy Moone Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
15 Governors Island from The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales
16 Fiber by Seanan McGuire from Tor.com
17 The Sirens' Song by Becca Price Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
18 The Green Stones by Toni Dwiggins Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
19 Oz by Derek Neville Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
20 Buck Hunt by Livia Harper Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
21 Death Sentence by EA Linden Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
22 Chip Assassin by Mark Gardner Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
23 A Father's Fist by Hugh Howey in Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
24 The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding Agatha Christie in The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries

Stories on the Go: 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors
The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales Kate Mosse
Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft
The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries

message 12: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Melissa wrote: "Would a book of essays, like Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? or The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories work?"

Sure! Just let me know how many 'chunks' you split it into - 24 or more or fewer!

message 13: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Angela wrote: "i have 18 short storries to go until the next novel, so instead of a complete 24 i'll try to read 19 stories during the whole month, if that's ok."

Sure, I'll put you up for 19. :)

message 14: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments I notice several of us lean towards horror in our short story choices. Maybe that genre lends itself particularly well to the form? It's hard to be bored by gems like Shirley Jackson's The lottery or HP Lovecraft's Pickman's model. (Links to full story texts)

Oh, I have another tip for science fiction readers - the collection Future Visions sponsored by Microsoft and available absolutely for free in several e-reader formats. It features authors like Ann Leckie and Seanan McGuire, so I'm all over it!

message 15: by Mell (last edited Dec 08, 2015 03:15PM) (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) Put me down for 31! Great chance to get through a couple of those kinds of books. I think I will read 2-3 essays a day but will see how I go :)

9/31

Starting with:
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
Dec 1 "Introduction", "Alternate Titles for This Book", "Chubby for Life", "I Am Not an Athlete" ✔
Dec 2 "Don't Peak in High School", "Is Everyone Having Out Without Me? (Or, How I Made My First Real Friend", "Failing at Everything in the Greatest City on Earth" ✔
Dec 3 "The Exact Level of Fame I Want", "Karaoke Etiquette", "Day Jobs" ✔
Dec 4 "Best Friend Rights and Responsibilities", "Matt & Ben & Mindy & Brenda", "Types of Women in Romantic Comedies Who Are Not Real" ✔
Dec 5 "All About The Office", "Franchises I Would Like to Reboot" ✔
Dec 6 "Contributing Nothing at Saturday Night Live", "Roasts Are Terrible", "My Favorite Eleven Moments in Comedy", "How I Write", "The Day I Stopped Eating Cupcakes", "Somewhere in Hollywood Someone Is Pitching This Movie" ✔
Dec 7 "Someone Explain One-Night Stands to Me", ""Hooking Up" Is Confusing", "I Love Irish Exits", "Guys Need to Do Almost Nothing to Be Great", "Non-Traumatic Things That Have Made Me Cry", "Jewish Guys" ✔
Dec 8 "Men and Boys", "In Defense of Chest Hair", "Married People Need to Step It Up", "Why Do Men Put on Their Shoes So Slowly", "When You're Not Skinny, This Is What People Want You to Wear" ✔
Dec 9 "These Are the Narcissistic Photos in My BlackBerry", "Revenge Fantasies While Jogging", "Strict Instructions for My Funeral", "A Eulogy for Mindy Kaling, by Michael Schur", "Good-bye" ✔

message 16: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 874 comments I am in for option b

message 17: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 874 comments I am in for option B

message 18: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments You've been added, Melissa and Tasha!

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments I'm going to try and give this a go with short stories. I have a general SciFi collection on my kindle as well as quite a few collections of Philip K Dick short stories. Might also borrow a horror collection from my flatmate but I am a total wimp so we'll see ow that goes!

I'm in for the 24 just now but I might up it for the whole month as those advent calendars are always the best.

message 20: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Gotcha, Stefani! And yay, there's a bunch of great short stories by Philip K. Dick. :)

message 21: by Nicole (last edited Dec 24, 2015 04:16PM) (new)

Nicole | 272 comments I'll do short stories! I haven't decided which ones yet, but put me down for 24.

24/24

1. "_._" Unnatural Creatures
2. "The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees" Unnatural Creatures
3. "The Griffin and the Minor Canon" Unnatural Creatures
4. "Ozioma the Wicked" Unnatural Creatures
5. "Sunbird" Unnatural Creatures
6. "The Sage of Theare" Unnatural Creatures
7. "Gabriel Ernest" Unnatural Creatures
8. "The Cockatoucan; or, Great-Aunt Willoughby" Unnatural Creatures
9. "Moveable Beast" Unnatural Creatures
10. "The Flight of the Horse" Unnatural Creatures
11. "Prismatica" Unnatural Creatures
12. "The Manticore,The Mermaid, and Me" Unnatural Creatures
13. "The Compleat Werewolf" Unnatural Creatures
14. "The Smile on the Face" Unnatural Creatures
15. "Or All the Seas With Oysters" Unnatural Creatures
16. "Come Lady Death" Unnatural Creatures
17. "Flaming Marshmallow" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
18. "Fudge" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
19. "Torn Apart and Devoured by Lions" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
20. "Despair" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
21. "Suicide" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
22. "Almond" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
23. "Starvation" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
24. "Cancer" Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die

message 22: by Debra (new)

Debra | 285 comments I'd like to sign up for this challenge with option B. I will read Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.

message 23: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1035 comments I'm in for Option B - I'l be reading a Feast for Crows. Then, I will finish this month finally. It's been sitting beside my bed for months now and I've hardly dipped into it.

message 24: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Added you all!

Debra and Sam: Let me know if you want to adjust your signups, if you want to split your chosen novels into more or fewer chunks than 24.

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra | 285 comments I should be ok with 24 chuncks (there are 26 chapters). I'll just read an extra chapter twice (it'll be a hardship, but I'll power through) ;)

message 26: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1035 comments Sam F: 24 should be good for me too - I still have over 600 pages to read. I'll be thrilled if I can read it by the 24th of December. Oh, to have more time to read!

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Darinsig (amaryie) | 1 comments I'd like to do this with option A!

message 28: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Uhlenhaker | 169 comments I'll slice up a novel!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll try, not entirely sure how this is supposed to work. Put me down for 24.

message 30: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Added everyone!

Monique, please ask about anything you need clarified! The original idea is very simple: Read one short story every day for 24 days, like a daily treat. OR choose a novel to read in more or less even-sized bits over the course of 24 days.

That's the basics of it - but you're allowed to sign up for a different number of days, if you want to. Some want to extend the challenge to last the whole month - 31 days - and some need to reduce the number of days. That's up to you!

message 31: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 968 comments Karina wrote: "Added you, Caro!

(Of course, correct me if I misunderstand your signup, or you want to make a change to it!)"

Is correct. For the stories I select Tales of the Unexpected that is exactly 24 short stories and not as dark as the majority of short stories that I have. For the book... I am still trying to decide which ne I will read and divide in 24 parts...

message 32: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Caro: Great! And ooh, Roald Dahl. Lovely (though, indeed, rather dark) choice!

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin | 27 comments I will sign up for option B. I am going to read The Christmas Train, by David Baldacci. I know he is a famous writer, but I have never read any of his stuff! It has 33 chapters so I will read a couple of chapters a day until I get it down to the right number!

message 34: by Lulu (last edited Dec 18, 2015 02:54AM) (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) | 281 comments Great challenge idea! I'd like to sign up for the short stories option, since I love short stories but never find enough time for them.

6/24

1. "Adaptation" by Connie Willis (from Miracle and Other Christmas Stories)
2. The Colonel by Peter Watts
3. "57 Reasons for the Slate Quarry Suicides" by Sam J. Miller
4. "The Fifth Dragon" by Ian McDonald
5. "Cat's Paw" by Connie Willis (from Miracle and Other Christmas Stories)
6. "Adaptation" by Connie Willis (from Miracle and Other Christmas Stories)
7. "The School Friend" by Robert Aickman (from Dark Entries)
8. "Ringing the Changes" by Robert Aickman (from Dark Entries)
9. "Choice of Weapons" by Robert Aickman (from Dark Entries)
10. "The Waiting Room" by Robert Aickman (from Dark Entries)
11. "The View" by Robert Aickman (from Dark Entries)
12. "Bind Your Hair" by Robert Aickman (from Dark Entries)
13. "Gypsy" by Robert Aickman (from Dark Entries)
14. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe

Possibly:
Stories from The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson (24 stories)
Stories from Gypsy by Carter Scholz (4 stories)
Cry Murder! in a Small Voice by Greer Gilman
Stone Animals by Kelly Link
Waters of Versailles by Kelly Robson
The Nose by Nikolai Gogol
"Seven Sexy Cowboy Robots" by Sandra McDonald

message 35: by Adria (new)

Adria I will do option A with poetry. I will finally finish a book of Emily Dickinson poems that I've been reading forever (although I have about 80 poems to read, so 3-4 per day).

I will also do Option B. Both in 24 days.

message 36: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments ok I have an odd question? can we read an anthology with 20 stories and count them as either short stories or chapters? I have one with 20 I would like to read and this may be the perfect challange.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I was originally wondering where you place what short stories you want to read. It seems everyone is just placing it here as a comment so here is mine:

1. Swift as a Dream and Fleeting as a Sign by John Barnes
2. Bricks, Sticks, Straws by Gweneth Jones
3. Tyche and the Ants by Hannu Rajaniemi
4. Vainglory by Alastair Reynolds
5. The Peak of Eternal Light by Bruce Sterling
6. Artifact by Jonathan Maberry
7. Borrowed Power by Jonathan Maberry
8. Changeling by Jonathan Maberry
9. Mad Science by Jonathan Maberry
10. No Man is a Promontory by H. N. Jazen
11. Kalopsia by E. Catherine Tobler
12. D-Day by T. S. Bazelli
13. Jenny of the Long Guage by Michael Matheson
14. Persistence of Vision by Orrin grey
15. Snow Angels by A. M. Dellamonica
16. Manitou-Wapow by GMB Chomichuk
17. City Noise by Morgan M Page
18. Material Witness by Jonathan Maberry
19. Zero Tolerance by Jonathan Maberry
20. Brown Wave by Christine Ottoni
21. Beacon 23: Part One: Little Noises
22. Beacon 23: Part Two: Pet Rocks
23. River Road by Amanda M. Taylor
24. Dog for Dinner by dvsduncan

message 38: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Added all!

Blagica: That's no problem! I put you up for 20, let me know if you want to change it.

message 39: by Karina (last edited Dec 31, 2015 12:15AM) (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments My own challenge post:

25/31 short stories

1. Of books, and earth, and courtship (Aliette de Bodard, published as ebook)
2. Fiber (Seanan McGuire, available to read here, printed in Unbound)
3. In the slopes (China Miéville, printed in Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories)
4. Z.Z.'s sleep-away camp for disordered dreamers (Karen Russell, printed in St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves)
5. Beatrice (Karen Tidbeck, printed in Jagannath)
6. Spores (Seanan McGuire, printed in The End is Nigh)
7. Children's reminiscences of the westward migration (Karen Russell, printed in St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves)
8. Agent Unknown (David Wellington, printed in The End is Nigh)
9. The gods will not be chained (Ken Liu, printed in The End is Nigh)
10. Goddess at the crossroads (Kevin Hearne, printed in A Fantasy Medley 3)
11. Sächen (China Miéville, printed in Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories)
12. After the festival (China Miéville, printed in Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories)
13. Ashes (Laura Bickle, printed in A Fantasy Medley 3)
14. Hello, hello (Seanan McGuire, printed in Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft)
15. Velveteen vs Blacklight vs Sin-Dee (Seanan McGuire, printed in Velveteen vs. The Multiverse)
16. Velveteen vs The Secret Identity (Seanan McGuire, printed in Velveteen vs. The Multiverse)
17. Bastard prompt (China Miéville, printed in Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories)
18. The Keep (China Miéville, printed in Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories)
19. The Design (China Miéville, printed in Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories)
20. The death of Aiguillon (Aliette de Bodard, printed in A Fantasy Medley 3)
21. Velveteen vs The Alternate Timeline (Seanan McGuire, printed in Velveteen vs. The Multiverse)
22. Velveteen vs The Uncomfortable Conversation (Seanan McGuire, printed in Velveteen vs. The Multiverse)
23. Skin in the game (Elizabeth Bear, printed in Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft)
24. Ted Chiang's The lifecycle of software objects (150 page novella)
25. Looking for Gordo (Robert J. Sawyer, printed in Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft)
26. Another word for world (Ann Leckie, printed in Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft)
27. The balm and the wound (Robin Wasserman, printed in The End is Nigh)
28. Heaven is a place on planet X (Desirina Boskovich, printed in The End is Nigh)
29. Break! Break! Break! (Charlie Jane Anders, printed in The End is Nigh)
30. Wedding Day (Jake Kerr, printed in The End is Nigh))
31. Removal Order (Tananarive Due, printed in The End is Nigh)

Will be using collections by China Miéville, Seanan McGuire, Karen Russell, Kelly Link, some mixed SFF anthologies.

message 40: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 968 comments Karina wrote: "Caro: Great! And ooh, Roald Dahl. Lovely (though, indeed, rather dark) choice!"

Well my other choice was Books of Blood, Volumes One to Three... so I think that Dahl is a more light option...

message 41: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. hey karina, just wanted to let you know that i changed my goal to 20 instead of 19!

message 42: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Angela: Alright! Updated. :)

Tomorrow is the first day of the challenge!

message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 734 comments Robin wrote: "I will sign up for option B. I am going to read The Christmas Train, by David Baldacci. I know he is a famous writer, but I have never read any of his stuff! It has 33 chapters so I will read a cou..."

I read The Christmas Train by David Baldacci a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it and it made me want to go on a train vacation!

message 44: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) It's December here in Melbourne, so I've already read my first day! 2 essays by Mindy Kaling and I just want to keep going!

message 45: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Yay, Melissa! (In Norway there's still 50 minutes left of November!)

message 46: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Karina, how often do you want us to report back with stories we've read? Every day? Every couple of days? Weekly? I don't want to overwhelm you with updates.

message 47: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Cassandra: Whenever it suits you, really - every day is not a problem, though. As long as the updates are friendly and include, for example, "I'm at 2/24 now" so I don't get it wrong!

message 48: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 968 comments For the book I will read one that is long. It has 12 chapters but I will divide in half chapter per day. I will read The Witches: Salem 1692. In theory I started long ago but didn't make it over page 20 so this will be a good way to do it.

message 49: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Okay! I'll always post my updates with the "2/24" part bolded, so I might start out by sharing the stories I read every day.

I'm curious to see what other people read as well - I've already added a couple more collections to my list, which means I might be reading mostly short stories this month.

message 50: by Jane (last edited Dec 23, 2015 12:31PM) (new)

Jane | 236 comments I'm in for this challenge!

I have three collections I will be reading from. I'm waiting on two of them at the library so I don't know how many stories are in each one yet. This will definitely help me get through some Scott Fitzgerald short stories I've been meaning to get through for over a year now!

24/24

Jazz Age Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Birds of America by Lorrie Moore
The Christmas Kid: And Other Brooklyn Stories by Pete Hamill

1. "Willing" by Lorrie Moore (Birds of America)
2. "The Ice Palace" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
3. "Dance in America" by Lorrie Moore (Birds of America)
4. "Agnes of Iowa" by Lorrie Moore (Birds of America)
5. "Charades" by Lorrie Moore (Birds of America)
6. "The Cut-Glass Bowl" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
7. "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
8. "What You Want To Do Fine" by Lorrie Moore (Birds of America)
9. "The Christmas Kid" by Pete Hamill (The Christmas Kid: And Other Brooklyn Stories)
10. "Real Estate" by Lorrie Moore (Birds of America)
11. "People Like That Are The Only People Here:Canonical Babbling in Peed Onk" by Lorrie Moore (Birds of America)
12. "Dalyrimple Goes Wrong" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
13. "6/6/44," "The Trial of Red Dano," "Leaving Paradise," "Lullaby of Birdland," "The Boarder" by Pete Hamill (The Christmas Kid: And Other Brooklyn Stories)
14. "The Four Fists" and "The Jelly-Bean" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
15. "The Camel's Back" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories) & "The Warrior's Son," "The Second Summer," and "The Sunset Pool" by Pete Hamill (The Christmas Kid: And Other Brooklyn Stories)
16. "The Man with the Blue Guitar," "The Hitter Bag," "Trouble," "The Home Country," & "The Waiting Game" by Pete Hamill (The Christmas Kid: And Other Brooklyn Stories)
17. "May Day" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
18. "Head and Shoulders" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
19. "Porcelain and Pink" & "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
20. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
21. "Tarquin of Cheapside" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
22. "O Russet Witch!" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
23. "Mr. Icky" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)
24. "Jemina, The Mountain Girl" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Jazz Age Stories)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7