Start by marking “The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft” as Want to Read:
The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft

The weird fiction short stories of H.P. Lovecraft from 1917-1935. Excludes collaborations.

The eBook’s table of contents is listed below. It includes the year each story was written.

The Tomb (1917)
Dagon (1917)
Polaris (1918)
Beyond the Wall of Sleep (1919)
Memory (1919)
Old Bugs (1919)
The Transition of Juan Romero (1919)
The White Ship (1919)
The Doom That Came to Sarnath (1919)
T
Published March 1st 2011 by CthulhuChick.com (first published November 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft, please sign up.
Otto Varpula My personal favorites are...

At the Mountains of Madness
Call of Cthulhu
Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath
The Nameless City
The Colour …more
My personal favorites are...

At the Mountains of Madness
Call of Cthulhu
Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath
The Nameless City
The Colour Out of Space
The Shadow Over Innsmouth

The longest of the bunch, but to me the best as well, is At the Mountains of Madness. (less)

Start your review of The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft
Evgeny
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Review updated on May 17, 2017... yet again.

As the title says this is complete work from the classic of horror genre. It is difficult to review a book with 62 different stories in it as they are quite diverse. The general idea in the majority of the stories is the forbidden knowledge. Some of the things are not meant to be known to the mankind, and meddling with them will lead to madness in the best case, or unleashing a great evil in the worst.

Having said that, I need to mention that H.P.Lovec
Graeme Rodaughan
May 27, 2017 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sensitive nature prone to communing with eldritch spirits and cosmic horrors
I'm going to read the whole of this book in 2019, 2020, in order (most recently read at top.)

12/Jan/20: 35: The Unnamable: Up Next...

12/Jan/20: 34: The Rats in the Walls: Elegantly written with little hints thrown here and there, but then it turns right on the end into unutterable horror... 5 stark raving mad stars.

08/Jan/20: 33: The Lurking Fear: Break out the shovels. Degenerate colonials have become loathsome abominable mole-rat-beast men rising from underground lairs to feast upon the surfac
Katy
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I picked up a free copy formatted for Nook on CthulhuChick.com. You can pick up a Kindle copy at the same place.

Synopsis: The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft contains all the original stories which Lovecraft wrote as an adult. It begins in 1917 with “The Tomb” and ends in 1935 with his last original work “The Haunter of the Dark.” The book is ordered chronologically by the date the story was written. Because Lovecraft was a terrible businessman and left no heirs to his intellectual
knig
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
A little daunted by the prolific proclivities of Lovecraft, I decided to cherry pick. General consensus pointed out the following five tales as being the cream of the crop:

1. The Dragon
2. The Outsider
3. The Lurking Fear
4. The call of Cthulu
5. The Colour of outerspace

And, from my GR friend Bennet I picked up on ‘The thing on the doorstep’ which otherwise gets few mentions but turned out to be my favourite of the bunch. Then I stopped, because GR Chris told me too. And, because Lovecraft simply ca
Larry Kollar
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, classic
A complete collection of H.P. Lovecraft's solo works (no collaborations), arranged by date. It's a huge work, no doubt.

My only gripe about the stories is that Lovecraft was overfond of a narrative style. If dialogue were water, I'd have died of thirst. And yet, the best of them read like a confession whispered through the cell door bars of an insane asylum.

One thing that surprised me was that Cthulhu was a prominent character in only one story… and from that has been built a massive edifice of f
Alex
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, if I was rating the work that Ruth at cthulhuchick.com has done in compiling this collection, I'd give it a full 5 stars. She did an excellent job creating the e-book.

I had some very good memories of reading Lovecraft, and most of the stories still hold up well. What I could not get over though was the blatant racism. I realize that it was written in a different time, but it left me unable to fully appreciate the stories.

It was great to finally read the full Cthulhu mythos in order
Amy (Other Amy)
Leo Robertson
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
read a decent selection of it :) pretty great!

Something being Euclidean or not is significantly less scary than he imagines haha
Joe
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Last year I read "Tales," the H.P. Lovecraft collection put together by the Library of America. That was my first exposure to Lovecraft and it was fantastic. It included most of his best known and longer works. I figured the stories they had excluded were probably the best of the best. Were they? Well, for the most part, yes. But there are some gems out there. With that being said, here's my review of the rest of Lovecraft's writing:

The Tomb: Lovecraft's first published work. A creepy tale of a
C.T. Phipps
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, cthulhu
What can be said about the works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft? A author who could be frustrating, fascinating, purple in his prose, and amazing in his imagination. An author who manages to stand out in both offensive attitudes about race for his time and yet also imagines alien otherworldly kingdoms that remind us how insignificant human prejudices may be.

As the author of CTHULHU ARMAGEDDON and a fan of countless pastiches of his work like TITUS CROW, ANDREW DORAN, THE INNSMOUTH LEGACY, HARRY S
Benjamin Thomas
I've been working on reading through these short stories and novellas for the past 9 months, taking my time with them and making sure I didn't rush through them too quickly. I also didn't want to get burned out on them. There are a total of 63 works in this complete collection, presented in the order in which they were written (not necessarily the same as the order of publication). There are no collaborations here, just the total body of work that HP Lovecraft produced on his own.

As with any col
Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere)
Best ebook version of Lovecraft with contents linked such that you can easily hop to the story you need. Other Lovecraft compilations on Amazon (at the time I bought this) don't have that linked contents, and you don't want to have to page through an entire book of this size just to get to one story.

Also worth the purchase because it was given away free (and you can still find it) - but I'd urge you to kick some money over to the woman who did the formatting (CthulhuChick), it's worth it.

As for
Crystal Hiatt
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovecraft was quite a strange and curious man. Likewise, his stories are a swirl of strangeness. He was able to beautifully blend the worlds of horror and science fiction to create his own world of otherworldly, cosmic horror. This is most evident in his Cthulhu Mythos. 'The Call of Cthulhu' is the beginning of this mythos and one of Lovecraft's most finely crafted stories. Wonderfully strange, terrifying, and powerful!

Another story of note is 'The Shunned House.' This story is based on a house
Molly Ison
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I am rating this as an entire book, rather than an opinion of the author in general or of any given stories. And that may be the main problem I had with this book, or the main problem I have as a reader. When I get a book, I like to read it cover to cover. I don't like to quit books that I've started. So I read every story. If you don't have my compulsions, this would be a good reference book to HP Lovecraft. As a complete collection, one quickly discovers that Lovecraft is quite repetitive, bot ...more
Golnoush
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's hard to rate any writer's collection of prose since rounding up an average number would seem too harsh on the high points of the author’s career and too undeserving for her weaker works, a fact which is also true concerning the complete works of Lovecraft. Though not all of Lovecraft's stories felt fresh and although I found some of his stories drastically less interesting than others, his masterful approach to arrange all his work to form a single mythos and the way with every new story yo ...more
Julio Biason
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll spoil my impressions of this book with two phrases, which will surely make some Lovecraft fans really angry:

1. Lovecraft loved to write, but not tell stories.

2. Lovecraft got paid by the word, and he really liked the money.

But before you come with pitchforks and torches to get me, let me explain the whole affair.

First off, the first story of the book is "At the Mountains of Madness" (because all stories are in their alphabetical order) and it really rubbed me in the wrong way: It does a goo
D.M. Dutcher
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The complete works of a master at the price of 99 cents. A steal at ten times the price.

Seriously, if you have a Kindle, get this. It's formatted near perfectly for an insane amount of content, and the stories are arranged by date so you get the entire feel of Lovecraft's work. There's a lot of repetition if you try and read the entire thing, but you can trace the development of the Mythos, and appreciate all the self-referencing each of his works has. If you've just read Dream-Quest of Unknown
Kirsten #wateraflower #curemultiplesclerosis
A classic! All of Lovecraft's fiction in one place and in chronological order.

His works are wonderfully creepy and redolent with science and folklore. What makes them even more creepy is the realism he places in them. Just enough for you to wonder "what if?". I just love this stuff.
Mark
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I was prepared for the creepiness of his stories, but not the unexpectedly gorgeous prose.

Some favorites:

The Quest of Iranon
The Silver Key
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
Rajiv
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In one word: amazing.

It took me over a year to make my way through all the stories, but in the end, I feel it was worth it. Lovecraft is a difficult writer to get into. His early work is honestly subpar although there are flashes of brilliance ("Dagon" comes to mind). The later stories are absolutely mindblowing, especially the Mythos stories.

What I loved most about Lovecraft is his boundless imagination. Very few writers have been able to depict aliens as something truly alien. His conception
Sera
I read the half of the stories, mesmerized by Lovecraft's style and atmosphere but I need to have a break and get away from this eeriness for a while. When it comes to Lovecraft, everyone mentions 'the Call of Ktulu' but there is more to it although I felt reading the same creepy adventures of the same character from different times for most of the stories.
One thing that bugs me and makes me have mixed feelings is his racist approach to non-Europeans. Most foreigners are malicious and unreliabl
celle
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, weirdfiction
Lovecraft, as always, comes with a gigantic disclaimer. The racism, the misogyny, or just plain malice of Lovecraft are sometimes hard to deal with, and probably enough to make many people put down his stories (including me, more than a few times) but at the same time, they are a really good read. Especially in the genre. Lovecraft was an a******, but he was also a pretty decent writer of the weird tales. Or something.
Anne Michaud
Jan 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
I can't finish one of his stories. I'm guessing something's wrong with me since he's considered a classic horror writer, but man his stuff is boring, voiceless and not even that weird. How am I supposed to care? Everything's written with a distance, not only from the action, but from the characters involved. Arg.
Marin Bratanov
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Executive summary: find and read a list of his best stuff, as this collection is otherwise very, very long and boring, even weak.

Full version follows.

While I understand the significance of his works, and the impact they have on the modern fiction and horror genres....I found this very hard to read, even boring at most times. I tried reading them all, and about a third in I gave up and googled which his best works are so I try to read those at least. I almost made it.

There are two types of storie
Sarah Krentz
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wound up not reading every novel and short story in the anthology, they grew very repetitive and I couldn't get past the unabashed racism that kept popping up (even though I knew to expect it). These stories are foundational to a genre, which was my motivation in reading them, but I can see why some of the characters and themes have been more influential and persistent rather than the specific stories themselves.
Tavi Florescu
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Weird, but tempting. Reminds me of E. A. Poe, but from another world, the world of Cthulhu.
Leonardo
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of quality fantasy/sci-fi literature
It has been almost twenty years since I last ready Lovecraft on a regular basis, so I was quite concerned that my earlier fascination with his work had been a "phase" (it's not like I ever gave up on sci-fi and fantasy literature), but the months that I devoted to these complete works (a labour of love by Cthulhu Chick http://arkhamarchivist.com/) has been like getting in touch with a dear old friend and finding that he/she is even deeper than your remembered. This may sound odd, in view of Love ...more
Katherine
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I finally decided to read H.P. Lovecraft after years of laughing at how racist he was. I know he’s, like, a pioneer of horror fiction, so I figured i should read the actual writing, just to see if it’s worth the hype. Spoiler: it’s not.

I read about half, including the ubiquitous Call of Cthulhu, and I’m not impressed. Aside from the casual racist “black and brown people are savages” that he mentions in pretty much every single story, he so heavily relies on “it was so bad I can’t even write abo
Steve Goble
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This Kindle edition is great. Well done, ChthulhuChick.com.

I run hot and cold on Lovecraft. His protagonists are dull and mostly interchangeable. He avoids dialogue like mice avoid cats. He loves antiquated words. He tells stories obliquely, often through the voice of someone relaying things that purportedly happened to someone else.

On the other hand, his vision of horror is more applicable to real life than the vampires, werewolves and ghosts of old -- it is a better metaphor for the doom we al
I made a modern home for HP Lovecraft's stories 1 1 Feb 24, 2020 08:35AM
Where should I start with Lovecraft's works ? 1 6 Jul 29, 2018 12:43PM
All About Fantasy!: The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft 2 9 Mar 19, 2018 11:15AM
H.P. Lovecraft - where should I start? 15 68 Aug 16, 2016 09:15AM
Dawnrise: The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft (Kindle Ebook) 4 6 Oct 06, 2015 12:12PM

• H.P. Lovecraft's the Dunwich Horror
  • Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Shadows over Innsmouth (Shadows Over Innsmouth #1)
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • The Complete Chronicles of Conan
  • The Darth Bane Series (Star Wars: Darth Bane #1-3)
  • Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe Volume 5
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 4
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Ghost Stories
  • Le Colpe dei Padri (Trilogia delle Radici #1)
  • Luceafărul
  • THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES and THE COMPLETE TALES OF TERROR AND MYSTERY (All Sherlock Holmes Stories and All 12 Tales of Mystery in a Single Volume!) ... Doyle | The Complete Works Collection)
  • Debussy - Favorite Piano Works
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a