Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Marcelle's 2016 old and new classics challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I've been wanting to read "Buddebrooks." I keep hoping it win one of these group polls. I may have to just read it on my own.

message 3: by Lesserknowngems (last edited Nov 27, 2015 06:46AM) (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I've been wanting to read "Buddebrooks." I keep hoping it win one of these group polls. I may have to just read it on my own."

I was going to read it for a group read this year, but something happened and now it's just staring at me from the shelf judging me (okay I might personify my books a bit too much ^^). If you want to read it I would love to do a buddy read sometime (if the polls are against us ;) ).

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I have only read one book from your list, but have read several of the works from some of your other authors. Its nice when a list pops up with previously unknown reads, that's when we find new gems for our own TBR's. Enjoy and have fun with your challenge.

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Bob wrote: "I have only read one book from your list, but have read several of the works from some of your other authors. Its nice when a list pops up with previously unknown reads, that's when we find new gem..."

I know. It's all about finding and sharing the hidden/little known gems. :) But whom have you read before? With the exception of Charles Dickens are all of the writers new to me.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Lesserknowngems, I'd love a buddy read of Buddenbrooks!
I won't be able to read it until January or even February. But I'd certainly love to! I can use it for our Bingo that we have going with this group!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Also, I keep seeing that "Kristin L" book from Norway on these Old/New challenge lists. Perhaps all of you can buddy read that. I've noticed this book keeps coming up lately in side conversations in this group. I think many people here are interested in it. Also, we have 5-6 people in this group who are Nordic, though not from Norway itself.

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Also, I keep seeing that "Kristin L" book from Norway on these Old/New challenge lists. Perhaps all of you can buddy read that. I've noticed this book keeps coming up lately in side conversations i..."

I've seen that. Sigrid Undset got mentioned in the women's century challenge and it just exploded. A lot are using Kristin L. in that challenge. And she is a Nobel winner. 2016 is probably going to be a huge year for her, at least on this group ^^. Should we say february then? I can't really do a buddy read of that book before that anyway ;) We can say february now and check back with one another in january to see if that still works.

And I've slowly figured out that there are a lot of nordic people here. That might be why so many nordic books are getting higlighted as well. Not just Sigrid Undset. A buddy read with the people reading Kristin L. is a great idea. Thanks for the tip :D

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Ok, "Buddenbrooks" for February it is!

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Lesserknowngems wrote: "Bob wrote: "I know. It's all about finding and sharing the hidden/little known gems. :) But whom have you read before? With the exception of Charles Dickens are all of the writers new to me.
..."

I’ve read Dickens, Marquez, and Woolf. I struggle reading all but Dickens. I most likely won’t read another by Woolf. I may read Love in the Time of Cholera someday simply because it is on the group’s bookshelf.

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9437 comments Mod
I've been wanting to read Kristin Lavransdatter for a long time, thinking I might change up my challenge to include it.

message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan Magyar (ianmagyar) This one looks like a very varied list, I'm sure that you will find a lot of great novels this way. I'm so happy to see a Hungarian novel there, too, at first, I couldn't quite believe my eyes. :-D I hope you will like it, The Town in Black is one of my favourite Hungarian classics. The Buddenbrooks has been on my radar for a long time, but haven't quite gotten to reading it.

message 13: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Interesting list! I have only read Kristin L. It definitely keeps popping up everywhere! There was buddy read planned for this year (that´s why I actually get it from library) but it was moved for next year. Again can´t remember who was planning it, maybe Sarah? I´m sure there are people who are interested and I think it´s worth it :)

message 14: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Jan wrote: "This one looks like a very varied list, I'm sure that you will find a lot of great novels this way. I'm so happy to see a Hungarian novel there, too, at first, I couldn't quite believe my eyes. :-D..."

Thank you. I am working on a project of reading across Europe, but that book would have been read regardless. I got it when I was on a trip there a few years back and th lady in the store recommended it so highly (though that might also be that it was one of the few books she had in english by a Hungarian author XD), she said it was such a big representation of hungarian literature so how could a bibliophile say no XD

Kathy wrote: "I've been wanting to read Kristin Lavransdatter for a long time, thinking I might change up my challenge to include it."

I've seen a lot of people are reading it next year, so join us and we can try to organize a buddy read or something. *chants* one of us, one of us.

Bob wrote: "Lesserknowngems wrote: "Bob wrote: "I know. It's all about finding and sharing the hidden/little known gems. :) But whom have you read before? With the exception of Charles Dickens are all of the w..."

I have to admit I love yet struggle with Dickens. He is such a wonderful writer, but sometimes I feel like he has ADD. This might be because we wrote it for a magazin rather than book form. But I will be handeling him next year. ;) I have heard Woolf is either love or hate, so that will be interesting to see.

message 15: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Due to difficulty finding a cheep copy (and time running out to change things) I have replace on of the books with The enchantments of love.