All About Books discussion

Reads & Challenges Archive > Pink's Everything but the Classics Challenge 2016

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (last edited May 16, 2016 04:16AM) (new)

Pink Ok, well there might be a few classics that have sneaked onto this list, which is basically another name for my Mount TBR. These are mainly books that have been on my physical shelf, kindle or audible for a year or more. Time to whittle them down a bit.

Physical Bookshelf

Penguin Great Loves
The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love
Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
Cures for Love
The Seducer's Diary
A Mere Interlude
The Kreutzer Sonata
Deviant Love
Something Childish But Very Natural
The Virgin and the Gipsy
Bonjour Tristesse

Bodily Secrets
The Women Who Got Away

The Eaten Heart Unlikely Tales of Love by Giovanni Boccaccio Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests by Giacomo Casanova Cures for Love  by Stendhal The Seducer's Diary  by Søren Kierkegaard A Mere Interlude by Thomas Hardy The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy Deviant Love by Sigmund Freud Something Childish But Very Natural by Katherine Mansfield The Virgin and the Gipsy by D.H. Lawrence Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan Bodily Secrets  by William Trevor The Women Who Got Away by John Updike

Gollancz 50
The Book of the New Sun
Hyperion
The Lies Of Locke Lamora
Eric
The Name of the Wind

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe Hyperion by Dan Simmons The Lies Of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch Eric (Discworld, #9) by Terry Pratchett The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Modern Fiction
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Thirteenth Tale
White Teeth
March: A Love Story In A Time Of War
The Gargoyle
Battle Royale
Her Fearful Symmetry
Fourth of July Creek
The Axeman's Jazz
Made in Sweden Part 1: The Father

Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield White Teeth by Zadie Smith March A Love Story In A Time Of War by Geraldine Brooks The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson Battle Royale by Koushun Takami Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson The Axeman's Jazz by Ray Celestin Made in Sweden Part 1 The Father by Anton Svensson

Biography/Memoir
The Churchills: A Family at the Heart of History
Bess of Hardwick: First Lady of Chatsworth, 1527-1608
Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire
Travelling to Infinity: The True Story Behind the Theory of Everything

The Churchills A Family at the Heart of History by Mary S. Lovell Bess of Hardwick First Lady of Chatsworth, 1527-1608 by Mary S. Lovell Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire by Amanda Foreman Travelling to Infinity The True Story Behind the Theory of Everything by Jane Hawking

History
The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914
The Watchers: A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I
The End: Hitler's Germany, 1944-45

The Sleepwalkers How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark The Watchers A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I by Stephen Alford The End Germany, 1944-45 by Ian Kershaw

Kindle

Slavery/Race
Southern Horrors Lynch Law in All Its Phases
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Up from Slavery: an autobiography
The Aquariums of Pyongyang
The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, Or Gustavus Vassa, The African Written By Himself
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

Southern Horrors Lynch Law in All Its Phases by Ida B. Wells-Barnett Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass Up from Slavery an autobiography by Booker T. Washington Aquariums of Pyongyang Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag by Kang Chol-Hwan The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, Or Gustavus Vassa, The African Written By Himself by Olaudah Equiano Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs

Greek
The Republic
Phaedo
The Apology
The Eleven Comedies, Volume 2
Oedipus Trilogy
Sappho: One Hundred Lyrics

The Republic by Plato Phaedo by Plato The Apology by Xenophon The Eleven Comedies, Volume 2 by Aristophanes Oedipus Trilogy by Sophocles Sappho One Hundred Lyrics by Bliss Carman

Modern Fiction
The Shock of the Fall
The Universe Versus Alex Woods
Stardust

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Biography/Memoir
Hitch-22
Dorothy Hodgkin: A Life
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
The Case of Edith Cavell A Study of the Rights of Non-Combatants
Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century
South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition

Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens Dorothy Hodgkin A Life by Georgina Ferry The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin The Case of Edith Cavell A Study of the Rights of Non-Combatants by James M. Beck Nikola Tesla Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century by Sean Patrick South The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition by Ernest Shackleton

Non Fiction
A Mind of Its Own: How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives
On the Origin of Species
The Communist Manifesto

A Mind of Its Own How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives by Cordelia Fine On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

Audible
The Crimson Petal and the White
Villette
Alan Turing: The Enigma Abridged
The Mill on the Floss
The Prince and the Pauper
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Treasure Island
Great Expectations
Barchester Towers
Silas Marner

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber Villette by Charlotte Brontë Alan Turing The Enigma Abridged  by Andrew Hodges The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Barchester Towers (Chronicles of Barsetshire #2) by Anthony Trollope Silas Marner by George Eliot

message 2: by Pink (new)

Pink Phew, now I'm exhausted. Far too tired to actually read a book.

Feel free to comment about any of the above, tell me which ones you've loved, or hated. Which I should get to first and which you think can wait a while longer!

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Pink, I loved The Kreutzer Sonata and A Thousand Splendid Suns. If I were you, I would go with those two first, they're really beautiful.

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink Thanks for the tip. I'm actually about to start And the Mountains Echoed for another group read and I'm looking forward to reading another Khaled Hosseini book. I really liked The Kite Runner, although I have heard they all get a bit too similar.

I'll make a note to try The Kreutzer Sonata first out of the Penguin Loves books.

message 5: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13037 comments Mod
Great Challenge Pink!
Some of these titles are favourites with me, some I've not even heard! I'll follow you closely!

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink That's always the best way Laura, it's good to share favourites and make new discoveries!

message 7: by LauraT (new)

That's why I'm here in the first place!

message 8: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Pink wrote: "Thanks for the tip. I'm actually about to start And the Mountains Echoed for another group read and I'm looking forward to reading another Khaled Hosseini book. I reall..."

Well, they do get a bit similar, still the stories are different and both The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns are very good books in their own right. I think I liked the second better than the first one, actually. I've recently bought And the Mountains Echoed and am very intrigued to read it, too. Someone I trust told me it's his best one so far.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 860 comments I've only heard great things about The Crimson Petal and the White...I'll be trying to prioritize that book next year too.

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica | 860 comments Wicked is a fun story too so I'd recommend that one :)

message 11: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments The thing I like most, apart from the title of your challenge, is seeing the pictures of the Gollancz books. My parents used to have loads of them when I was a child.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) As always, a great list for me to use to add to my TBR list! :0)

message 13: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Good luck!
A lot of interesting books of different genres, I like this.

message 14: by Pink (new)

Pink Thanks everyone :)

Erica, I've also only heard good things about The Crimson petal and the white, that's what made me use my last audible credit to buy it, before suspending my account. Now I just need to brace myself to listen, it's a long one....41 hours, 36 minutes!

Gill, I wasn't sure if those Gollancz covers were the old original versions, or if they were for the collection. I picked up a set of seven of them very cheaply from The Book People last Christmas.

dely, I like to have different genres and read different sorts of books. Keeps things interesting and it expands my tastes :)

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Nice mix of books Pink! I have a few of these on my 2016 list as well -- especially the audiobook of Villette. I noticed Alannah had a Bronte category -- maybe we should do a readalong!

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink Sounds good to me! I'll have to pop over to her page and take a look.

message 17: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments I absolutely loved The Gargoyle, hope you do too!

message 18: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 343 comments I loved the Gargoyle & Wicked too, along with A Thousand Splendid Suns. I have yet to read & the Mountain Echoed too. I'd like to get to Fearful Symmetry as well. SO many books! I think I tried NW & had to put it aside, so White Teeth might be the same kind of fail for me & I own both books. :(

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink Oh I've had all those books you mention on my shelf for too long. I was bought White Teeth when it came out...which was quite a while ago now! I did watch some of the TV adaptation, but it was that long ago that I can't remember anything about it now! Haven't read any of Zadie Smith's other books yet.

message 20: by Pink (last edited Mar 01, 2016 01:21AM) (new)

Pink January
I'm off to a terrible start as usual. I've read two books from my huge list and several others that I wasn't planning. Might have to give this more attention!

The Virgin and the Gipsy Meh, this was okay.

Apology of Socrates Bit boring. Plato's version was better.

The Virgin and the Gipsy by D.H. Lawrence The Apology by Xenophon

message 21: by Pink (last edited Mar 01, 2016 01:20AM) (new)

Pink February
Another 3 books crossed off the list -

Bonjour tristesse I wasn't overly impressed and it felt written by a spoilt teenager.

The Communist Manifesto I was impressed with this one. Don't know why I never picked it up before.

Silas Marner Boring.

Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx Silas Marner by George Eliot

message 22: by LauraT (new)

Pink wrote: " February

The Communist Manifesto I was impressed with this one. Don't know why I never picked it up before..."

I've been meaning to read it since in High school! I should do it, if only to know it

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink Laura, yes do, it's such a quick and easy read and one that you feel like you should have read, no matter whether you agree or not.

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth | 399 comments Pink wrote: Gollancz 50
The Book of the New Sun
Hyperion
The Lies Of Locke Lamora
Eric
The Name of the Wind

Of these, I tried The Book of the New Sun and really didn't see what all the fuss was about, but maybe I just don't get it. I've read a bunch of Discworld books but it's a very long series and I never got around to Eric. It sounds fun though.

Of the classics on your list I enjoyed Great Expectations and Plato is on my tbr.