Start by marking “Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)” as Want to Read:
Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)

Eric

(Discworld #9)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  57,629 ratings  ·  1,781 reviews
Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad...at his work, that is. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe.

But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful dem
Mass Market Paperback, 197 pages
Published July 2008 by Harper (first published August 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Eric, please sign up.
Ani Yes, this is a basic Discworld book, and like most, it can be read out of order. You get a good sense of whom Rincewind is from this story alone.

·  57,629 ratings  ·  1,781 reviews

Start your review of Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pratchett-terry
Don´t play with dark magic, it could be that Rincewind and the notorious pearwood chest return from other dimensions instead of the wished Jinn, fairy, or, in this case, demon or, why not, the dark lord himself.

Pratchett´s second novel with classic novels as inspirations, it´s more dynamic and quicker plotted than Wyrd Sisters, integrating as many innuendos as possible and mixing in historical and mythical elements.

It shows how much potential there is to reinterpret, adapt, satirize, and rewrite
Patrick
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt surprisingly lukewarm about this book, given that it's written by one of my favorite authors of all time.

Part of this was the fact that it's some of his earlier work. (It's odd to think of an author's 9th book in a series as "early" work) In my opinion his later stuff was much, much stronger.

Also, I feel I should mention here that this isn't my first time reading Eric. Not my second time, either. It was, however, my first time reading this particular version, the illustrated version.

And
Adrian
I will write more tomorrow, but I just want to apologise to die hard Sir Terry fans for my rating. I just thought it was weak and whilst amusing in parts even Rincewind and the Luggage didn’t make me laugh out loud.
It was Pratchett- lite !

And for once it is tomorrow that I write this review, mainly because I felt Sir Terry deserved to know why I had only given this 3 stars. On reflection I think this 3.5 ⭐️ as there are some funny bits and it does have Rincewind , the Luggage (who I just adore
Lyn
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Sir Terry Pratchett’s 1990 Discworld offering (and 9th in the series) sees a return of Rincewind in this most Douglas Adamsesque of his books.

A subtle parody of Goethe’s Faust, we find a young Ankh-Morpork demonologist, Eric, who has drawn a magic circle to summon a demon and instead brings Rincewind to his home. Discworld fans and readers may recall that Pratchett left Rincewind in the dungeon dimensions at the end of his 1988 novel Sourcery.

This may be my favorite Rincewind novel. We also get
Siria
Jun 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Eric is an oddity. Although it's the ninth Discworld novel to be published, it feels curiously scrappy and unfinished, like a fragment of juvenilia. It's set up as a parody of Faust; it feels like there's a lot more that could have been done with the novel based on this premise. In fact, it feels like there is a lot more set up to happen from this premise, but it never comes about. Eric is one of the most barely sketched in of all of the Discworld characters, for all that he is the person whose ...more
Trish
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a romp! And I mean that in the best possible way! The last book featuring Rincewind wasn't too much to my liking but this much shorter novel was perfect from start to finish.

It's about the titular Eric, who is a teenager who dabbles in the art of summoning demons like his grandfather. For some reason unknown at the beginning, the "demon" he summons is the wizard Rincewind, who was left in the Dungeon Dimensions in the 5th Discworld novel. However, the 13-year-old isn't ... well ... isn't th
Sheila Beaumont
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Terry Pratchett takes on the Faust legend in this ninth book in the Discworld series. Short but hilarious.
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-shelf, humor
This is my second read and my reaction is pretty much the same as the first time.

Rincewind is funny.

Or rather, the situations he always gets into showcases the Discworld in awesomely epic ways and we always get vast adventures. Usually with some kind of weird sidekick and a healthy dose of Death.

All true, sure, but what if Rincewind was mistaken for a demon, summoned by a nerdy kid who insists that he is, because, after all, Rincewind came at his demon summoning. :)

Or how about Discworld's versi
Paul O'Neill
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
“It’s Death, Archchancellor,” said the Bursar patiently.
“Eh?”
“It’s Death, sir. You know.”
“Tell him we don’t want any,” said the old wizard, waving his stick.

And that’s the reason you should read Pratchett.....
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
Technically I've read Eric out of sequence, but as anyone who has been following my reread of the greatest sequence of fantasy novels ever written will know, I've been "reading" the audiobooks whilst "running" around in circles and at 126 pages Eric is certainly not suited to such a thing. Especially when I am lucky enough to have a first edition paperback complete with beautiful Josh Kirby full colour illustrations. My rating will certainly reflect an extra star for being able to enjoy such lov ...more
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, this one included even though it is quite short and at times reads a little like a YA book. Rincewind and The Luggage are two of my favourite characters and Death makes an appearance too! He is just brilliant, one of Pratchett's many masterpieces of imagination. The book is laugh aloud funny as all his books are. I really enjoyed this little reread and intend to keep dipping into his collection whenever I need a smile.

6/7/20 And now I have read i
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
This book has a poor reputation among Discworld books, undeservedly so based on my recent re-read. I believed the anti-hype until now. Why is it maligned? Is it simply because it is shorter and more straightforward then other Discworld books? I was surprised to learn recently that it was initially an illustrated book, but I don't think it was ever released as such outside of the U.K. The text-only version works perfectly well on its own, but because of its brevity I think it upsets a lot of firs ...more
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group. For me this is the second time I've read this, and the first time as a purely text book. Back in the day I had a copy of this edition: Eric with the Josh Kirby illustrations.

Rincewind, last seen in dire peril (as always) in Sourcery, is summoned from Hell by a teenage demonologist. What follows is a typical Rincewind travelogue from ridiculous situation to ridiculous situation all with deeply witty and sarcastic commentary, both ar
Dirk Grobbelaar
There are really only two things I can say about this novel, both of which count in its favour:

1. It's conveniently short and a quick read
2. It's very, very funny.
Audrey

This was a very short book, or at least it felt short. Eric, a pimply youth, summons a demon and demands three wishes. But instead of a demon, he gets Rincewind. The book follows Eric trying to get his three wishes out of Rincewind, and it’s pretty funny.

There’s satire of the Trojan War, ancient Mayans, and several concepts of hell. None of it’s mean-spirited or offensive.

“There’s a door.”
“Where does it go?”
“It stays where it is, I think.”

Pre-eminent amongst Rincewind’s talents was his
Gary Sundell
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rincewind, eveyone's favorite wizard is back in Pratchett's take on Faust. Eric a very young demonologIist summons a demon. What he gets is Rincewind. The Luggage is not far behind. Shorter than most Discworld books, but every bit as funny.
Celise
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There's a door."
"Where does it go?"
"It stays where it is, I think.”

Not nearly as funny or eventful following Guards! Guards!, but short and thoroughly entertaining. Rincewind may not be everyone's favourite character, but I like the shenanigans he gets involved with.

This is only my ninth Terry Pratchett book and I already feel like this is one of the most important series in my life. You know when you look back on a series wishing you could read it all over again for the first time? I feel
Jason
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
If "Eric" were a food, it'd be a hot dog. It feels like Pratchett took random bits of humor that weren't good enough to make it in other books, and mushed them all together. Eric is the lips and assholes of Pratchett's storytelling.

Eric seems to exist soley to resolve the cliffhanger ending of Sourcery, and it does so with a moderately amusing Deus Ex Machina. The rest of the book is more like a Family Guy episode than a coherent novel.
Max
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very funny! As all writing by Terry Pratchett. Rincewind is one of my favourite characters of all time, so I love these series. A quick read too!
David Sarkies
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Pratchett
Recommended to David by: I had read the other ones
Shelves: comedy
Rincewind goes to Hell
9 February 2013

Eric seems to be that Discworld book that was written after Guards Guards and before Moving Pictures that nobody ever mentions. In fact having a glance over the comments on Goodreads it seems that it is not all that liked, and when I asked my friend who loves anything that Terry Pratchett writes, he simply said that it was okay, it has its moments, but not one of his best. Mind you we both agreed that the part where they travel to Discworld's version of the
Ole Steinbru
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the best discworld novel. It was a bit all over the place. It had an interesting premise, but it could have been expanded a bit more on.

Still great humour as always and the characters were interesting, felt a bit unfinished thought.
Silvia Kay
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was expecting this book to be a lot worse than it actually turned out to be (i.e. pretty awesome) based on a few people's lukewarm reactions. I really, REALLY enjoyed the portrayal of the Demon King as a pedantic (if slighly burned out) corporate CEO. The social commentary was spot-on, and as for the humour, it was its usual fantastic self. 4 stars.
Melki
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Be careful what you wish for...

or you may find yourself tripping through time with an incompetent wizard and a ferocious suitcase.

You might even wind up in Haitch-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks - the one only Pratchett could invent.

Good fun, but not up to the usual Discworld standards.
Molly Billygoat
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“What a nice man,” said Eric after awhile. “Um… What are quantum mechanics?”
“I dunno. People who repair quantums I suppose.”

Eric, book nine in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, is a riot. It stars a pimply, highly intelligent and pompous teenager who is determined to summon a demon so that he might demand riches, glory, and the most beautiful woman alive. What he manages to summon instead is the lovable but luckless Rincewind, well-known by all Pratchett enthusiasts. Eric refuses to accept tha
Juho Pohjalainen
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I used to think this was one of the best in the series when I first got into Discworld books, when this was among the newest titles available - but I don't feel like it's held up all that well, and nowadays I find it one of the weaker ones. The author is still seeking to break away from the somewhat shallow and thoughtless parody of the first novels, but the setting itself hasn't truly had the room to develop to any extent. So Eric falls about the middle, not belonging anywhere, and at the end o ...more
Andrew
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is a book I have been meaning to get my hands on for a while - yes I have read it in standard format paperback but like the Mort comic book I knew this was out there I just never had the chance to pick it up and when it went out of print its price went through the roof.

So here I am now some years later finally with a copy in my hands - true I do not think it was particularly well loved but that was soon corrected.

The book as the title cover shows is a comical (and suitably Discworld)
Sam Quixote
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“‘Multiple exclamation marks,’ he went on, shaking his head ‘are a sure sign of a diseased mind.’”

I LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT/DISCWORLD/RINCEWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. I aten’t crazy.

Like a lot of people I first read Pratchett when I was a teenager and have stuck with him well into adulthood. So, going through a dry spell in reading where everything I picked up seemed to, well, suck, I was immediately drawn to a small paperback that’d fallen off my shelf - “Eric”, a book I haven’t read
Noa Velasco
Leerlo en inglés fue una mala idea. No puedo hacer una valoración a fondo porque, no nos vamos a engañar, a veces me perdía.
Sin duda es un título Pratchett 100%, hilarante, preciso, mordaz y con alusiones constantes a cultura clásica y popular: Fausto, La Divina Comedia, La Odisea, religiones precolombinas... y burocracia contemporánea, entre otras.

Adjunto unas citas:

«Then there was silence, the special kind that you get after a really unpleasant noise».

«Even wizards thought demonologists were o
Linda
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018

This had a lot of really great scenes, and of course I loved seeing Rincewind and Luggage again. But I didn’t enjoy it as much as many of the other books in the series up to now. I may rate this higher upon a reread, however. I believe I was a bit distracted while reading this as it took me much longer to read than it should have given the short length.
Rebecca
I wanted something light and fun and Eric was just that. It was a fun adventure and I enjoyed reading it.

• "Я змішаю твою кров із вугіллям". Зрозуміти український Схід
  • Моцарт 2.0
  • Тенета Війни
  • Three Kings (Wild Cards, #28)
  • За сестрою
  • Family Tree #3
  • John Constantine: Hellblazer (2019-) #5
  • The Red Mother #1
  • Неймовірні пригоди Івана Сили, найдужчої людини світу
  • The Puzzler's War (The Tarakan Chronicles #2)
  • "Marie Claire" Cookbook
  • The Wedding of Cathy and Irving: A Cathy Collection
  • John Constantine: Hellblazer (2019-) #4
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • Basketful of Heads (2019-) #4
  • Faulty Prophet (Interstellar Caveman #2)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)