A Good Thriller discussion

Book Pals - Archive > December Book Pals ~ Post Your Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Autumn (last edited Nov 25, 2015 06:56AM) (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Once you and your Book Pal have selected and read your book, post what you thought of the book on this thread. Partners are listed in this thread below. Can't wait to hear about your book choices!

You can go to the original thread Book Pals and click on your partner to see their books and friend them.

** Just a Tip - I like to give my partner at least three books to choose from with one being my top choice. That way they have some freedom as well.

★ ★ IF you have made an attempt to contact your partner with no response, please private message me letting me know so I can work on getting you a new partner for the month. Please give it at least 7 days before posting a comment as not all of our members log in every day. THANK YOU!

Message 19 - Amy & Message 15 - Deb
Message 28 - Time & Message 8 - Chelsea
Message 23 - Dominique & Message 44 - Amber
Message 32 - Faouzia & Message 20 - Claire
Message 18 - Manju & Message 36 - Angela
Message 3 - Hannah & Message 30 - Lisa
Message 34 - Wolfrott & Message 43 - Kelly
Message 47 - Vera & Message 29 - Brenda
Message 21 - Laura & Message 46 - Taryn
Message 25 - Vera & Message 33 - Malia
Message 22 - Kim & Message 14 - Darkslyric
Message 13 - Perri & Message 39 - Christine
Message 6 - Lalla & Message 45 - Jamie
Message 27 - Denise & Message 38 - Jul
Message 4 - Kelby & Message 35 - Lee
Message 11 - Carla & Message 12 - Ray
Message 16 - La Tonya & Message 24 - Juliana
Message 17 - Kirsten & Message 48 - Autumn
Message 7 - Agnieszka & Message 26 - Daisy
Message 9 - Christina & Message 10 - Kerry
Message 37 - Gerard & Message 2 - Kim
Message 31 - Devi & Message 49 - Jamie

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrissychrissybb) How do I figure out whom I've been partnered with?

message 3: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) | 165 comments Hi Autumn, i am not in the list :(

message 4: by Autumn (last edited Nov 25, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Got you covered, Devi! Jamie will be emailing you!

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) | 177 comments Tim and I will be reading The Book of You. Not sure why it's been sitting on my shelf so long but excited to start it!

message 6: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Kirsten and I will be reading Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg. Cannot wait to read this winter themed book!

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments I'll be reading it in front of the fireplace with a blanket and a cuppa!

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 18 comments Wolfrott and I will both be reading The Terror!

message 9: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) | 27 comments Vera and I are reading Angela Marson's Evil Games!

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrissychrissybb) Autumn I haven't heard from my pal, after reaching out to her twice. She wrote me the first day and I responded , and wrote an additional time. What should I do ?

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments Vera and I are going to read 18 Seconds by George D. Shuman. I'm looking forward to it!

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Hunter (kerryelizabeth) | 268 comments It's been seven days since I contacted my book pal and I haven't heard from her at all :(

message 13: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Christine, I emailed you, so check your messages! Kerry, I will see what I can do!

message 14: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Elgee and I will be reading Younger. This is her first time to do Book Pals, and missed signing up, so everyone make her feel welcomed! I know you will!

message 15: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) | 177 comments Kerry- do you still need a partner?

message 16: by Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (last edited Dec 01, 2015 07:26AM) (new)

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) I will be reading The Gingerbread Man and Lee will be reading The Christmas Train

message 17: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Daisy and I will be reading Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts

message 18: by Darkslyric (new)

Darkslyric | 119 comments Kim and I are reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky . I have been wanting to read this one for quite awhile.

message 19: by Gayathri (new)

Gayathri (elgeewrites) | 5 comments Yay am partnering with Autumn and we are reading 'Younger'.. this is my first book pal read, so all excited :)

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrissychrissybb) Autumn wrote: "Christine, I emailed you, so check your messages! Kerry, I will see what I can do!"

Thanks! I heard from her.

message 21: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Welcome Elgee and you got a great book pal ;-)

message 22: by Faouzia (new)

Faouzia | 288 comments Claire and i will be reading The Surrogate, looking forward to discussing this book :)

message 23: by Perri (new)

Perri Darkslyric wrote: "Kim and I are reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I have been wanting to read this one for quite awhile."

Christine and I are going to read this one too! What are the chances?!?

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments Hannah and I decided to read Memoirs of a Geisha. If we have time we both ordered The Christmas Joy Ride from our libraries for fun.

message 25: by Brenda (last edited Dec 09, 2015 03:49PM) (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments Vera and I have finished reading 18 Seconds (Sherry Moore, #1) by George D. Shuman 18 Seconds and we both loved it!!

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Just finished reading Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg, my and Autumn's Book Pal selection. (I think Autumn should be done soon.)

Here's my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 27: by Perri (new)

Perri I loved The Perks of Being a Wallflower-a book I wouldn't have selected by myself https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 28: by Gayathri (last edited Dec 19, 2015 03:51AM) (new)

Gayathri (elgeewrites) | 5 comments Yay.. Autumn and I finished our book and we love it.

Here is my review http://goo.gl/TKwRiq

message 29: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 50 comments Juliana and La Tonya read the The Great Christmas Knit Off. Below is my review. We both loved the book.

This is was delightful book that will make you laugh and feel good about Christmas. The story begins with Sybs being jilted at the alter by her husband-to-be Luke for her twin sister Sasha. Sybs goes to Tindledale to visit her friend, Cher, to get away from her sadness. In Tindeldale her heart is mended and all her dreams come true. It is a true Christmas story for those who still believe in Christmas.

Quote:
So news really does travel fast in Tindledale; at this rate the whole village will know all of my business before the weekend is out.

"Hurrah! How very civilized!" roars Marigold, making me want to shrivel up in the corner of the bus shelter and quietly evaporate.

"So I've got nothing now." And I end the call.

"I'm not your pal." "Then who the fuck are you?" Silence follows. "I'm Hettie"s son!"

message 30: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) Still reading The Terror by Dan Simmons with Kelly, slowly, as she had been busy so I paused my progress.

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Wolfrott wrote: "Still reading The Terror by Dan Simmons with Kelly, slowly, as she had been busy so I paused my progress."

I want to read that. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have a copy.

message 32: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Wolfrott wrote: "Still reading The Terror by Dan Simmons with Kelly, slowly, as she had been busy so I paused my progress."

I want to read that. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have a copy."

I'd hold back before buying it though - its seriously dragging :( 300 pages so far and nothing's happened after the initial crisis.

message 33: by Volkun (last edited Jan 29, 2016 06:24PM) (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) Kelly and I to abandon The Terror :(

It was a bad book. I wrote a spoiler-filled review on the page, so here is a spoiler-free short version,

The other 1-star reviews nailed it; the story, the little there was, was overridden and bogged down with Simmons explaining what scurvy, frost-bite, and how food is prepared over and over.

The 'horror' and the monster was tossed away 300 pages in as the story/villain was replaced with in-fighting amongst the sailors due to homophobia, rum & food shortages, and marriage + political scandals that took place decades BEFORE the story.

Characters were extremely unsympathetic, boring, and one dimensional. Characterization was inconsistent and once again pushed aside in favor of another history lesson on scurvy, clothing, food prep, and how cold it was.

We were very sorry we picked it up :( first 150 pages or so were really promising.