Dubuque Virtual Book Club discussion

Everything Else > Best Books We Read in 2015

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carnegie-Stout Public Library (carnegie_stout) | 66 comments Mod
Voting for the GoodReads Choice Awards has started, so it's time to talk about our favorite books we read in 2015. Feel free to share your favorite reads whether they were new in 2015 or just new to you! And no, you don't have to pick just one favorite.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah S (sarah_elsewhere) | 81 comments Mod
I haven't read as many books as usual this year, but that just means that I spent my reading time on books I really liked. So, in no particular order, here are some of my favs:

Uprooted by Naomi Novik You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1-5) by Kieron Gillen Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 No Normal by G. Willow Wilson The Martian by Andy Weir

Uprooted by Naomi Novik: Fantasy, romance, and a message about being true to yourself that somehow felt fresh and original.
You're Never Weird on the Internet by Felicia Day: Honest, funny, and she narrates the audiobook herself.
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie: This series just gets weirder and cooler every issue.
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson & Adrian Alphona: The superhero comic I wish I could've read when I was 13.
The Martian by Andy Weir: I haven't actually finished the audiobook yet, but it's the only thing I want to talk about with anyone right now. I can't believe it's taken me two years to get to this book!

message 3: by Angie (last edited Nov 15, 2015 01:13PM) (new)

Angie Johnson (librariangie) | 34 comments Mod
I have become obsessed with The Queen of the Tearling and The Invasion of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen.

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen The Invasion of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #2) by Erika Johansen

These are the first two books in a trilogy.The female main character is not like many others I have read in this fantasy-type of book. You have to read it to see what I mean. The writing is fairly spare and lovely. The first book, I believe has been optioned for a film and I hope it makes it to the screen!

message 4: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 24 comments I loved the Mistborn trilogy and the Locke & Key series, none of which were published this year. Inside the O'Briens was my favorite new book of 2015... although that might change once I finish Career of Evil.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (BlueWinston) | 13 comments Mod
The new book by Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer is fantastic. It certainly ranks at the top of my best of 2015 list.