Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Grab the book nearest to you and turn to page 28, lines 3, 4, & 5

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 208 comments I came across this fun game in another forum. Here's how it works:
Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 28.
* Find the third, fourth, and fifth sentences.
* Post those sentences here along with Goodreads links to the book and author.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST book.

To get you started here's what I came up with:

"And when she reached the examining counters, the Customs man poked through her meager belongings with utter indifference before waving her on. And then she found herself staring at the train waiting to take on passengers without the slightest idea of what to do next. Where was she to go?"

Reserved for the Cat by Mercedes Lackey

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Jul 14, 2009 06:46PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

"Picket-lines were long ropes fastened to iron pegs driven into the ground. The pegs were called picket-pins. When horses were on picket-lines they could eat all the grass that the long ropes would let them reach."

message 3: by Brien (new)

Brien Jones (brienjonesharvestcom) Brian K. Stoner's "Prophecy of the Ancients."

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Um, the closest book to me was an m/m romance, so here's a little taste for everyone!

"Johnnie hummed through a dark smile, pressing his weight against Tyler's hands. Tyler, without good leverage, watched in horror -- anticipation? -- as those beautiful lips..."
That was the end of line 5, so you'll have to use your imagination. :)

Heaven (Heaven Sent, #1) by Jet Mykles by Jet Mykles

message 5: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments "They specialize in the more outre items of fare from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Puffins, for example, which they classified as fish, so they could eat them on Fasting Days in their religion."
"But...puffins aren't fish!"

Hex and the City
Simon R. Green

message 6: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 14, 2009 10:51PM) (new)

Adrienne Mistress of the Night

Forgive me
"Good day, old boy"
Blaine looked away from Maddeline's hypnotizing eyes to see his.....

message 7: by Chasidy (last edited Jul 14, 2009 11:33PM) (new)

Chasidy Until You by Judith McNaught

"... possible soulution in the minimum amount of time. Sheridan had become so good at it that her father proudly declared that she made him work hard to stay..."

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments This is similar to something that I saw going around on facebook the other day. On that you were supposed to turn to page 56 of the closest book, find the 5th sentence and post that sentence as your current status for the day. Mine was "We're too busy being special". I'm not near a book right now (at work) so I'll have to do this one when I get home! :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 15, 2009 03:10AM) (new)

.......I think i saw the stake before he did, but I'd swear he had time to dogde out of the way and save himself.

Instead, he seemed to run deliberately into its path.

It came speeding through the near-dark parking lot with unerring accuracy, the deadly tip sinking deep into the left side of his chest, right thought the DC part of the Gothic AC/DC letting of this tee. .....

Vampaholic (Silhouette Bombshell) by Harper Allen Vampaholic by Harper Allen

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin Gezzi "That we had that kind of potential. I hate taking that away from you, too."
It took me a minute. "I know what I'm doing."

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

message 11: by Kelley Anne (last edited Jul 15, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments "Still, she is honor bound and old enough, though young, to face the deed that she must do with dignity. She was rather whiny about it. Simpering and feeling sorry for herself"

Shackles Of Honor by Marcia Lynn McClure

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I dragged my eyes up from the wild red and blue pattern of his tie. "Expert? I've read the file on the old cases. That's about it.

Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments "Besides, she's afraid of me. She'll tell me where your brother is."

She didn't let him know how grateful she was for the help he gave her exiting the boat.

Strange Brew - Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs

message 14: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments DarkHeart - Did you enjoy that story? I really liked it and kinda hope that those characters show up in one of her other books.

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) DarkHeart wrote: ""Besides, she's afraid of me. She'll tell me where your brother is."

She didn't let him know how grateful she was for the help he gave her exiting the boat.

Strange Brew - See..."

Just read this one and the Harry Dresden stories last night!

message 16: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) A killer body? That I would care that he smelled like the sexiest spiciest cologne I'd ever sniffed... "Let's show her the scroll," Dad interrupted, breaking the moment.

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

message 17: by Jenny (last edited Jul 16, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

Jenny | 2 comments "...though, there'd been only one who'd rejected him. Eden Black, a golden-skinned Rakan and the woman he'd remained on Earth for, hoping to bed at least once. The..."

Seduce the Darkness by Gena Showalter

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "DarkHeart - Did you enjoy that story? I really liked it and kinda hope that those characters show up in one of her other books. "

I did! They were both great characters and I would love to see them again - but I got the impression Tom wasn't part of Adam's pack (how many packs are there in the Seattle area?), so I'm not sure if they'll pop up again.

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that Adam is far enough away from Seattle that it would be a different pack. I'm not too familiar with that part of the country though, so not completely sure. But, in the next Alpha and Omega book, Charles and Anna have to go to Seattle and from what I understand most of the book takes place there. So, who knows. Maybe they'll pop up there! I just felt like I was barely getting to know those characters and really want to find out more about them!

message 20: by Lu (new)

Lu I can't. I'm in the depths of despair. Can you eat when you are in the depths of despair?

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

message 21: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) "The satisfaction of of besting us all," Brand replied. "And being from Darius, I'm sure." He offered them a languid shrug and leaned back in the velvet cushions of his chair.

Heart Of The Dragon by Gena Showalter

message 22: by Jesika (new)

Jesika tell you that, if you ever hear any interesting stories, any stories that mihgt be of interest to moi, it would be my pleasure to...pay...you a visit." He paused for effect while holding....

That was the end so use your imagination !

Rumors by Anna Godberson

message 23: by Ria Lize (new)

Ria Lize (rialize) | 18 comments "So they all ate and were filled, and they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments that remained.
Now those who had eaten were about five thousand men, besides women and children. Immediately, Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other - while He sent the multitudes away."

The closest book to me is... a small red New Testament Bible. Yeah, go figure.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) | 97 comments "Hurry up," Elise said, tossing the robe aside and pulling at Katherine's dress. Reluctantly, Katherine stripped off her clothes and stepped into the creek. She quickly rubbed the mud from her body with fresh water and stepped back on the bank.

Murdered by Human Wolves by Steven E. Wedel

message 25: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Jennifer wrote: "...Murdered by Human Wolves by Steven E. Wedel"

That's a good book. I'm really enjoying his Werewolf Saga series.

message 26: by K (new)

K | 51 comments "The name."
"Not yet. I'll check it out, and if it looks suspicious, I promise to share it with you"

The Laughing Corpse - Laurell K Hamilton

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I waved my hand, leaving Aquinas to manage, which he did with his customary efficiency. A small heater was installed, the heavy draperies were drawn, and a fresh bottle of gin was placed on the dressing table, sherry having apparently been given up in favor of something more potent. Since then, I had heard nothing from her whatsoever, and I made a note to instruct Aquinas to add a weekly bottle to the household expenses.

Silent in the Grave- Deanna Raybourn

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 93 comments
Full moon Rising by Keri Arthur http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

if you did,why didn't you ask for him by name last night?"
"Because last night I couldn't actually remember his name, just his
address. And I never did say whether I knew him him or not."

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments When You Are Engulfed in Flames

"The houses looked like something a child might draw, a row of shaky squares with triangles on top. Add a door, add two windows. Think of putting a tree in the front yard, and then decide against it because branches aren't worth the trouble."

message 30: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 158 comments It was a clear day, cold and fresh, and there was a tense excitement about all the men, from sea-lord to galley hand, as they considered the immediate future and what it might bring. Serpent prows bent towards the great stone wall which blocked off the first entrance to the harbour. It was nearly a hundred feet high and towers were built upon it-more functional than the lacelike spires of the city which shimmered in the distance, behind them.

Elric, The Stealer of Souls by Michael Moorcock

message 31: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) "Like this!" He gestured toward the red-haired girl. "No idea about the French Revolution. Thinks Marie Antoinette was a silent film star."

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by L.J. Smith (had to dig it out since the show starts in a week!)

message 32: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 52 comments Mircea is a lot of things, but he keeps his word when he gives it. You just better be damn sure you know what that word is, because he is one of the slipperiest bastards our there when he wants to be. I decided I wanted things spelled out a little more.

Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance

message 33: by Trish (new)

Trish (boxiedoxie) I've outrun my share of werewolves, and I knew I was faster than they were; but no one had told him that. He was catching up to me. I jumped back over the fence because it had slowed him down the first time.

From Moon Called by Patricia Briggs.

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1 comments But every one of those was a monster in the mine. What about those out of it? What was roaming about out there that was so scary the Pieters boys wouldn't name it?

Foundation, Bk1 of the Vademar series. Mercedes Lackey