What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children/YA wilderness adventure, survival. 2 boys crash in Canadian wilderness on a lake and survive by fishing, trapping fish, and hiking out. [s]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments I was read this book in 1974 as a 6th grader. 2 children survive a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness. The plane crashes into a lake. The boys survive. One of the 2 boys is just getting over being in an iron lung and works to.imptove his swimming and diving. Eventually dives down to the plane and recovers see supplies. They fish by building a fish trap.
Towards the end of the book they start hiking out and fly fish along the way.

message 2: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments It sounds like a junior version of Hatchet. Hatchet

message 3: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments When I read about Hatchet, it seems like it duplicated this much earlier work.

message 4: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments That's what made me think of it. I looked at the date you mentioned and thought the same.

message 5: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1220 comments This seems close: High Country Adventure by Marian Rumsey

message 6: by Laina (new)

Laina SpareTime | 94 comments Something by Eric Wilson maybe?

message 7: by Laina (new)

Laina SpareTime | 94 comments Whoops, wrong Eric Wilson. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 8: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments It wasn't high count adventure from what I can read about it.

message 9: by Sallie (new)

Sallie (salliev) | 28 comments "Far North" by Will Hobbs?
"Those insatiable fans of Hatchet are the likeliest audience for this winter survival tale, which weds its adventure-seeking thrills to education about Dene Indian culture. Fifteen-year-old Gabe, a Texan, enrolls in a boarding school in Canada's Northwest Territories to be near his father, whose love of the wilderness has become infectious. But Gabe gets more than he bargained for when an airplane accident leaves him and his roommate Raymond, a Dene, stranded near the fierce Nahanni River at the start of a long winter. Guided by their fellow survivor Johnny Raven, a Dene elder, Gabe and Raymond learn to hunt beavers, trap rabbits and make snowshoes and mittens from animal hide. More significantly, they learn respect for ancient Dene beliefs. When Raven dies of the cold, the two boys must struggle out of Deadmen Valley on their own. Predictably sentimental, Hobbs's (Beardance) fast-moving tale nonetheless delivers breathless action and an inspiring sense of Canada's vast landscape."
http://www.amazon.com/Far-North-Will-...

message 10: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments Eric Wilson appears too late to be the author.

message 11: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments And thank you Laina, Adele, and Laura!

message 12: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments And Sallie!

message 13: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments Far North was written in 1996 so at least 22 years after the story was partially read to me and my class. But thank you

message 14: by Ayshe (last edited Jan 02, 2017 12:19PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4228 comments Northland Castaways by Burton L. Spiller?
What happens to two American boys stranded in the Canadian North Woods, without any shelter, food, matches, compass, or maps, and with Scout knives as their only equipment? Can they hope to be sighted by any plane searching for two small figures in the vast area of lonely lakes and forests? Can the boys survive until rescuers find them? Or can they make their way through a hundred miles or more of untamed wilderness, back to civilization?

This is the great adventure that comes to fourteen-year-old Ronald Carson and his cousin Dick, who is a year younger. The boys are flying up from the States to spend the summer with Ronald's father, an engineer at a mining camp in the northern wilds of the province of Quebec. Their amphibian plane is forced down by motor trouble on a small lake in desolate country. The pilot repairs the engine and takes the plane aloft to test it, only to crash into the lake. Alone on the lake shore, with night only a few hours away, the boys are faced with the stark realization that only by their own resourcefulness can they keep themselves alive now. They try, awkwardly at first, to put their book-learned woodcraft to this survival test. Their experiences, as they struggle against great odds and all forces of nature, make an absorbing story, full of suspense and interest.

The Bulletin of the National Association of Secondary School Principals, 1958

message 15: by William (last edited Jan 03, 2017 03:07PM) (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments Thank you!

Ayshe,
I cannot thank you enough. It is the book I am looking for. I have wanted to finish reading this book for over 45 years!!! I am amazed that you found it!!!
how did you do it? Had you read it? Bill

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments You can mark this request as solved by clicking the 'edit' link next to the subject line / title, and then selecting one of the "Solved" folders. This will help save our moderators some time.

You should also change the subject line / title to start "SOLVED: [then your existing title]" which helps people still find your request later.

Solved requests are almost as important as unsolved requests (eg, so don't delete your info :D Otherwise it looks like this, which completely doesn't show how you generated *so* much interest for your book). The requests continue to exist in the archive, and people looking for your book end up on that page via search engine because of your description/keywords - which improves the whole world :)

message 17: by William (new)

William Bauer | 9 comments Ayshe,

I can not thank you enough!!!! I have spent days trying to find this book? How did you do it?

You are a phenomenal!!! Bill

message 18: by Ayshe (last edited Jan 03, 2017 11:21PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4228 comments It's great that it was the one! No, I haven't read it, it was just luck: Google Books search for plane crash Canadian "two boys", limiting the years range to 1950-1980 brought it up.