2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Go Ask Alice
This topic is about Go Ask Alice
. Week 50: Banned Book > Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (Beatrice Sparks)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I decided to read Go Ask Alice this week. I read it once when I was about 13. I don't remember much about the book, but I remember hiding it from my parents. I am interested in reading this now that I'm older.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments Well .... I read this. I feel like I enjoyed this, to an extent, as a teenager, but that could have been because I felt like it was a forbidden thing, ie: hiding the book from my parents. Reading it 10 years later, I found myself laughing at the absurdity of this book. When i first read it, I think I though that this was seriously some poor girl's diary from the 70s. Last night I realized the language use was totally wrong, and I cannot imagine anyone who was using drugs would talking about bringing gelatin salad to her best friend Betty's party.

Seriously, the language used in this book was just all wrong, and I could sense it from the first page. I did some quick research on Ms. Sparks, and I guess as an editor she had a habit of creating fake journals that were supposed to be from real teenagers who had experimented with things they shouldn't, like drugs and Satan. It was all part of the 1970s fear-mongering propaganda that happened. Scare parents into locking up their children so they won't try anything the bible says is bad.

I gave it 1 star out of 5.

message 3: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Oh no! I have this on my list :(

I was deciding between this and Rage but liked how this would be a quick read. Maybe I should go with the other one though...

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I've heard great things about Rage, and I believe it's a shorter book than Go ask Alice. I think if Sparks had written this one better it would have been great, but it's just so far-fetched that it cannot be taken seriously.

Here are some excerpts from the book to show what I mean:

“Wonderful news, Diary! We’re moving. Daddy has been invited to become the Dean of Political Science at——————. Isn’t that exciting! Maybe it will be like it was when I was younger. Maybe again he’ll teach in Europe every summer and we’ll go with him like we used to. Oh those were the fun, fun times! I’m going to start on a diet this very day. I will be a positively different person by the time we get to our new home. Not one more bite of chocolate or nary a french fried potato will pass my lips till I’ve lost ten globby pounds of lumpy lard. And I’m going to make a completely new wardrobe. Who cares about Ridiculous Roger? Confidentially, Diary, I still care.”

“The movie was fun with Scott. We went out after and I ate six wonderful, delicious, mouth-watering, delectable, heavenly french fries. That was really living in itself! I don’t feel about Scott like I used to about Roger. I guess that was my one and only true love, but I’m glad it’s over.”

“I keep thinking about our teacher in gym teaching us modern dance and always saying that it will make our bodies strong and healthy for childbearing, then she harps and harps that everything must be graceful, graceful, graceful.”

“Dear precious Diary, I am baptizing you with my tears. I know we have to leave and that one day I will even have to leave my father and mother’s home and go into a home of my own. But ever I will take you with me.”

The book is 213 pages of this. Though it is a very quick read. I finished it in a little over an hour last night.