Start by marking “Rage” as Want to Read:
Rage

Rage

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  24,118 Ratings  ·  1,035 Reviews
A disturbed high-school student with authority problems kills one of his teachers and takes the rest of his class hostage. Over the course of one long, tense and unbearable hot afternoon, Charlie Decker explains what led him to this drastic sequence of events, while at the same time deconstructing the personalities of his classmates, forcing each one to justify his or her ...more
Published September 6th 1977 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Rage, please sign up.

Don Maclean It is out of print. Stephen King personally stopped publication after a school shooter had a copy of it in his locker (from what I remember). I…moreIt is out of print. Stephen King personally stopped publication after a school shooter had a copy of it in his locker (from what I remember). I personally think it's ridiculous, but I guess it's not something he wants to have on his conscience.

You can find original copies on Amazon or ebay, although the prices are insanely high. I was able to pick up an original copy of "The Bachman Books" for about 50 Bucks on ebay. It comes with Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork and The Running Man. Newer copies of The Bachman Books don't contain Rage.(less)
Shane They have a compilation with all four of the Bachman books on eBay for like $10 with $5 shipping. I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out and paying…moreThey have a compilation with all four of the Bachman books on eBay for like $10 with $5 shipping. I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out and paying $700 for copies when it's on eBay for super cheap.(less)

Stephen
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
RAGE…we’ve all experienced it, whether bumper to bumper on the roads, interacting with ass stains at work, or railing against the evils of beachfront development.
Photobucket

Here, Stephen King explores the darkest aspect of this emotion, and strikes a chord that can be felt by anyone who remembers the awkwardness, the insecurity, the anger-inducing turbulence of being a teenager. King taps a mighty strong vein in this one.

Originally entitled Getting It On, this early effort of the master, while less polis
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This was a super shorty so there isn’t a whole lot to say without giving the entire thing away. I’ll just leave it as . . .

“This,” I said pleasantly, “is known as getting it on.”

Yep. Ol’ Charlie’s having a bit of a shit day and to top it all off . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

It probably says something for the state of the universe (or at least the state of my psyche) that this book left me with such a “meh” reaction. I’d blame it on the fact that it was w
Carol
........Sad and Frightening

........RAGE is the story of a disturbed child....who becomes a disturbed teen....who acts out on his frustrations by taking a hand gun to school his senior year, taking the life of his algebra teacher, and holding his class hostage for several hours. (no spoiler here)

........In the midst of all the chaos, keeping school officials and police at bay, Charlie shares a few tales of his abusive home life, his encounters with bullies, a sex episode, and strongly requests hi

Dan Schwent
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Charlie Decker takes a room full of his classmates hostage. Will any of them walk out alive?

In this Bachman book, Holden Caulfield takes the Breakfast Club hostage with a pistol. At least, that's what the book feels like to me.

Rage is a really quick read, short and to the point. It's also not that great. King can say he wanted it out of print because of all the school shootings in the last couple decades but I have to wonder if quality wasn't also a contributing factor.

Charlie Decker is a bit of
Flannery
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Holy hell, I had no clue what I was getting into with this one. I am a SK lover and King’s earlier Richard Bachman books are some of my favorites. (read The Long Walk and The Running Man if you haven’t) I happened upon this one rather randomly and couldn’t stop reading it. It is out of print, for reasons that will be absolutely clear by the time you are done reading the next paragraph. (SK and his publisher both agreed that it was for the better)

Written in 1977, Rage starts of with a bang (pun i
TK421
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lately I've been wondering about why violence seems to breed so freely in the United States (I don't have an answer by the way). Everywhere I seem to look there is something violent being portrayed: books, movies, music, art, heck, even CNN is going to do a new segment on Cold Cases that they have deemed so interesting that further exploration is needed--Tupac and Biggie, here's your chance to spin a few more rhymes...Anyway, I was sitting in my basement, perusing my collection of books, wonderi ...more
Councillor
After thinking a lot about how to rate and review "Rage", the first novel Stephen King published under his pseudonym Richard Bachman, I still have no clue what to think of this (really short) novel. "Rage" is not available anymore as King decided to take it off the market since it was feared the novel would inspire people to run amok, and due to the socially relevant and interesting subject this novel deals with, I was very interested in reading the actual text. But after finishing it this morni ...more
Ron
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I was going to talk about why Rage was taken out of print, but I think plenty has been said on that subject. I side with King on the decision to pull the plug. Stephen King has stated, "The Carneal incident was enough for me. I asked my publisher to take the damned thing out of print. They concurred."

Rage is about a deeply disturbed high school student who basically has gone through the ringer of life, short as it has been, and came out broken. Charles Decker is the possibly brilliant young man
Kyriaki
Καλό...αλλά όχι κάτι ιδιαίτερο......
Διαβάζεται πολύ εύκολα κάτι στο οποίο βοηθάει και η πρωτοπρόσωπη αφήγηση αλλά και τα μικρά κεφάλαια αλλά παρόλα αυτά...ντάξει....δεν με ενθουσίασε.....ούτε κρύο, ούτε ζέστη.....
Jason
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally, I've read this elusive novel!

The first thought I had after reading this was: It's a shame this book is no longer in print.

The reason it was removed from print, by request from Stephen King himself, is because the novel was found in the locker of Michael Carneal, a bullied boy who opened fire on students at Heath High School in 1997. Under the assumption that the book partly inspired the school shooting, the book was pulled from print.

Given the sensitive nature of the novel, I can certai
Cynn
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Intense…just fucking intense.

[Charles Decker, un adolescente desequilibrado que, después de ser expulsado del instituto por agresión a un profesor, vuelve a clase armado con la pistola de su padre y secuestra en un aula a sus 24 compañeros.A partir de ahí, la policía llega al colegio para tratar de liberar a los alumnos pero Charlie no los va a dejar ir. No hasta que él sepa que todo terminó].

Wow, de verdad increíble. Cuando comencé a leer “Rabia” no sabía qué esperar.El problema de las masacres
Lou
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a coming of rage type of story where the main protagonist is a character that you hear about more and more in todays society. He gives us glimpses in the past, what ticked him off, what made him flip and the people you feel failed him. He is a by-product of society and mans failures. King balances out the seriousness of the story with quite a bit of dark humour. All in all a good read, one that stays with you and makes you think that could be the kid next door.
"High-school toilets are
Ruth Turner
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it

I’m not sure how to review this book, because I liked it and yet I didn’t.

It’s a short, quick read and well written considering it’s King’s first book, but I found it unpleasant and bleak. It reminded me a little of Lord of the Flies.

The story dragged through the middle and I had to force myself to keep reading.

What made it bearable was that I enjoyed the characters, with the exception of Charlie. He just wasn’t believable to me and I had to keep reminding myself that he was a teenager. He seem
Traveller
Jul 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-by-men
Though a reasonably good piece for a teenager to have written (apparently King started writing this as a teenager), a lot of immaturity still shows through.

Despite the fact that I could not manage to build up any empathy with the main character (the killer) Charlie Decker, Charlie simply seemed too normal in his general thought processes to appear phsychotic. He simply came across as a spoilt, extremely immature kid - a product of the typical syndrome of the military father and over-indulgent mo
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

Rage is the ultimate in teenage angst, kind of like a more violent, twisted version of 'The Babysitter's Club' because of the morbid teenage bonding that went on inside the classroom.

An interesting book, glad I read it. It's not a typical school shooter type of fiction novel - and this alarming plot trope is why King banned publications of this book after that became an unfortunate "in" thing. The fi
Franco  Santos
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Es el libro que más me estremeció después de Cementerio de animales. Es muy intenso y que esté narrado en primera persona aumenta los escalofríos.

Existe un Mr. Hyde para cada feliz rostro de doctor Jekyll, una cara oscura al otro lado del espejo.

Es la obra más controvertida de Stephen King por ser usada como inspiración en jóvenes estudiantes para cometer atentados contra sus compañeros en Estados Unidos. Por eso King la retiró del mercado en su edición inglesa. Muchos lo llaman El Libro que Ki
John Wiswell
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teen violence readers, literary young adult fiction readers, culture readers, philosophy readers
Written under the pseudonym "Richard Bachman" and pulled from the shelves by its author, The Rage is a hard book to nail. Most of the Bachman books are flashier; even Running Man has an explosive finish and makes its social statements more deliberately. And heck, it's hard enough to find a copy. After it was found in the locker of a school shooter, most people dismissed it as violent trash. It isn't.

It is the story of a school shooter who takes a classroom hostage, but the violence isn't glorifi
Richard
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
4/10

A disappointing read, I was looking forward to this twofold; it’s a King book but also because it has an elusive feel about it with it now no longer being in print. It was taken out of print at King’s request because of some real life High School shootings but I have to wonder if he was also looking at the quality of it and that might have been a factor. Or maybe the Breakfast Club soured his stomach for this sort of thing.

It’s a short story yet it took me quite a while to get through which,
jo
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Μεσα στις 131 σελιδες του κρυβεται η ιστορια του Charlie,ενος μαθητη Λυκειου που μια μερα αποφασιζει να φερει ενα οπλο στο σχολειο και να κρατησει ομηρους ενα τσουρμο συνομηλικους του.Τον κεντρικο μας χαρακτηρα τον συμπαθεις εξ'αρχης.Δεν εινα κακος,το νιωθεις απο τις πρωτες λεξεις,αλλα κρυβει μεσα του μια ιδιαιτεροτητα που εχω καταλαβει οτι μου αρεσει σε αρκετους χαρακτηρες που εχω διαβασει παλαιοτερα,νομιζω πως ειναι το συναισθημα του να μην ξερεις τι να κανεις.Δεν ξερεις τι να κανεις,διοτι εισ ...more
Becky
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2009
This is a really eye-opening story, and it's really not hard to understand why King would have wanted to pull this from circulation. I'm sure that this story is terrifying in the same way that Misery is terrifying: It could really happen. But this is even worse, because not only is it possible, it's happened. This is close to home. That makes it truly terrifying.

But I have to say that the story was less about the fact that Charlie Decker brought a gun to school and used it, and more about who C
Dany Burns
Sep 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I did not enjoy this at all. Charlie Decker is either a completely unsympathetic hero or a really smart ass, arrogant villain. No one in this book reacts the way they actually would if they were trapped in a class with a person who shit two people. As someone who had a gun scare at my school no one remains concerned with popularity and no one feels sympathy or like for the shooter. Everyone comes to like Charlie decker and to dislike the one person who actually does think he is dangerous. Beyond ...more
Margaret
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading again RAGE, twenty years after the first time, I remembered why I am a huge King's admirer. This is a " mind boiling" story.
Vaiibhav Nigam
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Charlie Decker is a disturbed teen and it is clear that the parent child relationship is lacking. Through out the book we get glimpses of a strained home life, that could easily put an awkward teen in stressful situations, and the fact that his parents were distant could be why they didn't care or pay attention to the warning signs. I think in a happier household or one that was more caring, there wouldn't be a story.
The characters in this book are very well fleshed out, and feel like real peopl
diegomarcapaginas
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una novela polémica que fue retirada por su autor debido a una serie de trágicos sucesos que acontecieron en EEUU. Una historia cruda que habla sobre represión, libertad y que tristemente tras 30 años sigue de actualidad. No es una de las mejores novelas que he leído de King pero retrata de manera magistral el perfil de un psicópata víctima de la represión social.
Licha
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read as part of The Bachman Books: Four Early Novels.

Story about a high school boy who takes a gun to school and shoots two teachers and hold his class hostage for half a day. The book has been taken out of circulation at SK's request due to several school shootings that were linked to this book. I had a hard time getting a hold of this story but managed to finally get a copy.

Charlie is an a**hole and I could not stand him. As a matter of fact, I really did not like this story and I didn't like
Жор
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Книгите, които са ме афектирали колкото „Гняв” са съвсем малко. Следствие от бавното ми и внимателно четене са редките случаи, когато изчитам роман за ден. Тук достатъчно красноречив е фактът, че след двайсетата страница изключих звука на телефона си и шест часа живях във фикционална класна стая, в чийто център бе проснато вкочаняващото се тяло на учителката, сякаш жертвоприношение на зловещ ритуал, който промени всички участници. И мен като читател.

Цялото рев
Portal in the Pages
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't know how to dislike Stephen King.
Nick Iuppa
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Violante
Reading challenge 2015: #22 Libro que te asuste

"No existe medida de tiempo que exprese la esencia de nuestra vida, que mida el tiempo entre la explosión del plomo en el orificio del cañón y el impacto en la carne, entre el impacto y la oscuridad. Sólo hay una inútil repetición instantánea que no demuestra nada nuevo. Disparé, ella cayó, y se produjo un silencio indescriptible, un lapso infinito, y todos retrocedimos un paso, contemplado cómo la bola daba vueltas y vueltas, saltando, vacilando
Бранимир Събев
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Уникален роман, любимият ми на Кинг. Никъде другаде не съм срещал така перфектно описана градацията на една човешка лудост. Знам, че вероятността да я преиздадат отново на български клони от нула към минус безкрайност, но какво пречи да помечтае човек...
STEPHEN KING PROJECT: RAGE (SPOILERS) 1 1 Nov 15, 2017 04:25PM
Stephen King Fans: RAGE 37 290 Sep 23, 2017 06:05AM
Stephen King Fans: Rage-Bachman book 37 349 Aug 08, 2016 02:19PM
Play Book Tag: Rage 1 19 May 03, 2016 01:17PM
Is this book the best you've ever read. 3 50 May 24, 2015 07:37PM
To kill lucky in his mistress DJ 1 9 Mar 13, 2015 03:04AM
Should King and his publishers have taken this book out of print? 3 39 Feb 18, 2015 03:32PM
  • Three Past Midnight: The Library Policeman
This is a Stephen King pseudonym.

At the beginning of Stephen King's career, the general view among publishers was that an author was limited to one book per year, since publishing more would be unacceptable to the public. King therefore wanted to write under another name, in order to increase his publication without over-saturating the market for the King "brand". He convinced his publisher, Signe
More about Richard Bachman...
“When you're five and you hurt, you make a big noise in the world. At ten you whimper. But by the time you make fifteen you begin to eat the poisoned apples that grow on your own inner tree of pain.” 76 likes
“There's a Mr. Hyde for every happy Jekyll face, a dark face on the other side of the mirror.” 35 likes