The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > ONE - START HERE - 2015 - Readathon Four Date: August 22nd, 2015 - 8AM to Noon - Check-In - CHECKPOINT ONE - FIRST CHECK IN

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 23, 2015 09:31PM) (new)

Bentley | 44167 comments Mod
2015 - Readathon Four Date: August 22, 2015 - 8AM to NOON - Check-In - THIS IS CHECK-IN ONE

Please let us know who is reading during these this period of time.

Let us know the following:

Name of Book and Author or books and authors:

Genre or genres:

Number of Pages Read - Start Page and Finish Page for this four hour period.

Don't forget the proper citation - just do the best you can and we will assist you.

How much time did you read during this block of time:

Also, your location in the world and timezone

Did you complete any books during this time frame and what were they?

So for example:

The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott
The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott - Genre: Historical Fiction - pages start 1 - finish 80

If you finished a book - let us know that too and make sure to get it added to your readathon shelf so you can get credit for it. If it is added properly it will show up on your shelf. You have to make sure to have selected a readathon shelf and when you are done with the first book for your readathon - make sure to add the completed date and that the book is read versus currently reading.

It will show up on your shelf if you have done this properly.

Remember wherever you are you can participate in the readathon.

And if you only have one hour or four hours or plan to do this for the entire 24 hour period taking of course breaks for eating and sleeping - you can join for however long you want to read. We want to keep track of the books completed, the books started, the books in progress, the number of pages read by all, and the different genres. Great fun and this is only the second readathon - we will use the same readathon challenge for all of them so you can see your readathon shelves grow.

Additionally these books that you complete on the readathon can be added to other shelves for the Japan or India challenge or the 2015 50 Books Challenge or the goodreads yearly challenge - the sky is the limit. Any genre is welcome.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Remember folks this is the check in for anybody reading during the hours of 8AM until Noon on August 22nd (wherever in the world you are - use your time zone). If you want to get credit for any reading done during these four hours you must check in on this thread - Checkpoint 1. But for the check in to count - you must post between the hours of 8AM to Noon on August 22nd in the time zone that you are in. This is the Checkpoint for those hours on August 22nd. To get credit for these hours this is the thread you must post on

REMEMBER AT LEAST ONE CHECK-IN MUST REFLECT THE FOLLOWING TO BE COUNTED IN THE READATHON AND OF COURSE YOU MUST CHECK-OUT AT THE END.

Make sure to answer the following:

Genre or genres:

Don't forget the proper citation - just do the best you can and we will assist you.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Folks everytime we do this we always find folks who want to participate but fail to join and set up their shelves properly so that they can get full credit:

You must join!

Very important:

How To Join In: - Go here first: https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

Click on the title at the top - The HBC Readathons. Please then join by simply signing in at the bottom and say how many books you plan to read for one or more of the readathon dates - there will be six readathon dates throughout the year; then create your own personal shelf to add the books which you would like to tackle during one readathon or more readathons. That is all there is to it and goodreads will keep track. Become your own marathoner in reading books on the readathon dates and we will keep track of your progress in terms of titles of books, number of books, number of pages, and different genres. Give it a whirl and see how much reading you can get done and take a stab at that big "to be read" pile of books that we all have.

Note: Don't forget to set up your shelf first and then add the name of that shelf here when setting up the challenge for your readathon.

And here are some links to the Readathon folder which will be updated:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I am opening up Checkpoint One - check in for those parts of the world who will begin the Readathon earlier than we will on the East Coast (NYC) - August 22nd - 8AM.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those of you in New Zealand it is already August 22nd and 8:45AM - you should be beginning here and already started based upon your local time.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2015 01:51PM) (new)

For those of you in Australia and Hobart, Tasmania, it is already 6:50AM on August 22nd and you have an hour and 10 minutes before you begin Checkpoint One.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those in China - it is already 4:52 AM on August 22nd so you would be able to start and post in Check point One in three hours and 8 minutes using your local time

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those of you in India - it is already 2:23AM on August 22nd - you would be able to post and check in - in 5 hours and 37 minutes.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those of you in Singapore it is already August 22nd and 4:55AM. For you kick off would be in 1 hour and 5 minutes.

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those of you in the USA and NYC - you will be starting in 15 hours on August 22nd at 8AM

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2015 02:09PM) (new)

For those of you in Turkey and we do have a participant from Turkey - it is already 12:08 AM on August 22nd so Doris in Kusadasi will be kicking off in seven hours and 56 minutes - So Doris will be way ahead of us and in Checkpoint two before we kick off our 8AM.

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those of you in the Philippines and we do have a person who signed up from the Philippines - it is already 6:32 AM in the Philippines on August 22nd so you are way ahead of us in the USA and on the East Coast. You will be kicking off by going to this thread at 8AM your time - which is less than an hour and a half from now. You will have been reading for 12 hours before we start and will be going to Checkpoint Four when we kick on in NYC on the US.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those in Croatia, it is already 1:45 AM in Croatia - August 22nd - Croatia will be starting in 6 hours and 15 minutes. They are starting five hours before the East Coast and NYC in the USA.

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

For those in Portugal, it is already 12:48 AM on August 22nd. Portugal will be starting in 7 hours and 12 minutes. They are starting five hours before us EST.

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2015 05:12PM) (new)

Marietta in Malaysia - you should be kicking off now - it is 8:02 AM on August 22nd in Malaysia. This is Checkpoint One. This is where you are until Noon and then you will go to Checkpoint Two. - WELCOME MALAYSIA.

This is the template that you need to answer:

Make sure to answer the following:

Genre or genres:

First put in the blank template and add the book that you are reading and before the end of the four hour period - finalize and finish the template and then go on to Checkpoint Two - enter the template here now and finish it up by 11:45AM. Then do the same template for Checkpoint Two updating it as you go along.

This is what my check in template for checkpoint one looked like for the last readathon as an example for you:

================================================================

Checking In - Bentley here - Will update and make final before Noon Eastern Standard Time

Bentley here doing the initial check -in and registration:

Book and Author being read for June 6th Readathon:

Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff

Citation:

Cleopatra A Life by Stacy Schiff by Stacy Schiff Stacy Schiff

Genre: Historical Fiction

Start Chapter Fifteen (audible) - Chapter Nine in book - start - End Page for Check In - 109

Number of Pages Read - ? Chapter Nine

Time Read or Listening to a book during this checkpoint -30 minutes - doing admin work

Completion of Book during this Check In: no

Name of Book Completed -none

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 22, 2015 01:43AM) (new)

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray by William Makepeace Thackeray William Makepeace Thackeray
Genre: Fiction (Classic)
Pages Read: page 23 to page 24
Reading Time: 5 minutes

No books completed yet.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I may not have the chance to use the internet before noon. Can I update it in the afternoon or even tomorrow morning? Using the internet in the morning is most convenient for me.

message 18: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2015 06:03PM) (new)

Marietta I am not sure of your circumstances but we have to check in to the checkpoints that match the hours we are reading. So for your 8AM until Noon - you check into One - then if you are reading from Noon to 4PM you check into 2 - then if you are reading from 4PM until 8PM - you check into 3 - then if you are reading from 8PM until Midnight - you check into 4 - if you are still reading from Midnight until 4AM tomorrow your - August 23rd then you check into 5 and if you are reading from 4AM until 8AM tomorrow - then you check into 6. All of the Check Ins are numbered and you use the same template and keep updating it as you read along. You did remarkably well for your first check in - very good.

And the last thing you must do by Noon tomorrow is to Check Out and the Check Out template is different than the check in because it has the tallies and totals for all of the check ins - That is the way it works. Eventually we will be giving prizes or books for the check ins to make sure that folks are actually participating and reading during that time frame - there will be a lucky winner per check in but we have not done that yet - but that is how Readathons work - you have check ins and basically say - I am here and reading and fill out the template.

Checkpoint 7 is the Check Out. I will help you when you get there but there is already a sample template there that you can follow for check outs. You have to read a minimum of an hour to participate and if you want credit for any Check In or Checkpoint you have to check in during that time period.

You have checked in for Checkpoint One - so at noon your time do the same thing for Checkpoint Two and check in the same way - of course your starting and ending page will be different.

I have family in Singapore - you are very close. I suspect you are a student so I will work with you to get this done right and help you as much as I can but I wanted you to understand the process. It is like your taking a test and getting it done during the time slated but then asking to come back and fill in the blanks after the timeslot has passed. We give extra time for the Check out.

If the internet is slow - at least get your template in for each Checkpoint during your timeframe that you are reading and update as you can and finalize the numbers. Do you have a slow connection? Let me know what is going on and your situation and then I will help you accordingly.

Marietta, you can also send me a PM if you like and I can help you that way. You are off to a good start. Just do the best you can.

And finally a warm, warm welcome to you in Malaysia - we are delighted that you are joining us for this readathon - let your friends know and maybe they can join in too.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 21, 2015 07:53PM) (new)

Folks, I have not seen any new posting from abroad for now - I am going to bed at 11PM and will be up by 8AM to kick off the USA. If more folks were going through I would stay up through the night - but for now things are quiet - so I will get some sleep before my 24 hour period begins.

Those of you abroad in Europe - you should be on Checkpoint one and starting Checkpoint Two by the time I join back in at 8AM - you will be five or six hours ahead so you should be on Checkpoint Two by then.

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Doris in Turkey - you should be kicking off in 2 hours and 10 minutes. Checkpoint One first, then Checkpoint Two - you will be in Checkpoint Two when I come back on. But do not forget to check in first on Checkpoint One - right here.

message 21: by Doris (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:12AM) (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) | 143 comments Amazing Grace, by Eric Metaxas
Amazing Grace William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas by Eric Metaxas Eric Metaxas

Genre: Biography
Pages Read: 41 to 115
Reading Time: 70 minutes
Books completed: none (yet!)

message 22: by Samanta (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:10PM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Good morning! Croatia checking-in.

I am continuing with:

Letters from Mexico by Hernán Cortés by Hernán Cortés Hernán Cortés

Genre or genres: History
Start Page: 3
Finish Page for this checkpoint:46
Total Pages Read: 43
How much time did you read during this block of time: 1 hour and 30 min
Books Complete: 0 so far
What were they? None so far

This was only the first letter. The second letter is 115 pages long. Dear me!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Bentley wrote: "Marietta I am not sure of your circumstances but we have to check in to the checkpoints that match the hours we are reading. So for your 8AM until Noon - you check into One - then if you are readi..."

Ok thanks, I admit I was pretty confused about these checkpoints! I was busy the whole morning and not able to use the internet until now.

message 24: by Jarrad (last edited Aug 23, 2015 02:18AM) (new)

Jarrad (jmtew) | 9 comments Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy Four Women Undercover in the Civil War by Karen Abbott by Karen Abbott Karen Abbott

Genre or genres: Non-Fiction
Start Page: 1
Finish Page for this checkpoint:37
Total Pages Read:36
How much time did you read during this block of time: 35 minutes
Books Complete: 0
What were they?

message 25: by Karen (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:04AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) Checking in for Checkpoint 1
Sleepwalking Land by Mia Couto by Mia Couto Mia Couto

Genre: Fiction
Start page: 1
End page 125
checkpoint time 8:00AM - Noon
Total pages read 125
Total hours read 2.5

Total Books Read:0

Checking out.

message 26: by Kathy (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:11AM) (new)

Kathy  | 180 comments Checking in:

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler by Anne Tyler Anne Tyler
Genre: Literary Fiction
Number of Pages Read: Pg. 94 - 170. Total pages = 76.
Time Read: 3 hrs.
Books Completed: 0
Checking Out.

message 27: by Rosalinda (last edited Aug 23, 2015 08:29AM) (new)

Rosalinda Morgan (rosalinda_r_morgan) | 8 comments Checking in:

Citation: Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh by Anne Morrow Lindbergh Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Name of Book: Gift from the Sea
Author: Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Genre: Creative NonFiction

Start Page - 1
Finish Page - 128 Finished Book

Time Zone: EST

Citation: The Bells by Richard Harvell by Richard Harvell Richard Harvell

Name of Book: The Bells
Author: Richard Harvell

Start Page - 1
Finish Page - 25

Location - Charleston, SC
Time Zone - EST

How much time did you read? = 3-1/2 hours.

I'm checking out for Checkpoint One.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) Samanta wrote: "Karen wrote: "Checking in for Checkpoint 1

Sleepwalking Land by Mia Couto by Mia CoutoSleepwalking Land

Start page: 1
End page
checkpoint t..."

oops, sorry about that, fixed

message 29: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Thank you, Karen. :)

message 30: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hello Everyone - Bentley is here. Checking in (Metro NYC) - Eastern Standard Time

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:47AM) (new)

Doris wrote: "Amazing Grace, by Eric Metaxas
Amazing Grace William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas by Eric Metaxas Eric Metaxas

Genre: B..."

Doris welcome from Turkey - you are doing great on this first checkpoint. Just a few missing parts - here is the template:

Name of Book and Author or books and authors: - done - you did the citation perfectly thank you - Done

Genre or genres: - Done

Number of Pages Read - Start Page and Finish Page for this four hour period. - Done

Don't forget the proper citation - just do the best you can and we will assist you. - Done

How much time did you read during this block of time: Done

Also, your location in the world and timezone - Done

Did you complete any books during this time frame and what were they? - you have to answer this question (yes or no) - If you completed a book - then cite it - book cover, author's photo, author's link

Just add the little missing and you are fine - other folks are still in this checkpoint but you should not be on this checkpoint but finishing up Checkpoint Two and about ready to sign into checkpoint three.

message 32: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:34AM) (new)

Samanta wrote: "Good morning! Croatia checking-in.

I am continuing with:

Letters from Mexico - Genre - History - read from page 3 - page 46 - time spent reading: 1 hour 30 min - book not yet completed

[bookcov..."

Welcome Croatia - we are glad to have you with us Samanta.

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:34AM) (new)

Welcome Hamburg, Germany and Jarrad.

message 34: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:33AM) (new)

Welcome to Karen from the Keystone State of Pennsylvania.

message 35: by Rosa (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) | 0 comments Checking in:

Elegies & Elderberries (The Herbalist #5) by Leslie Leigh by(no photo)Leslie Leigh

Genre: Fiction/Mystery
Number of pages read: 107
Time read: 1 hour
Total books completed: 1

message 36: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:33AM) (new)

Welcome to Kathy from the Peach State of Georgia

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:32AM) (new)

Welcome to Rosalinda from South Carolina - the Palmetto State

message 38: by Mary (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:37AM) (new)

Mary (maryschumacher) Checking in.

An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro by Kazuo Ishiguro Kazuo Ishiguro.
Genre: Literary Fiction
Start page: Listened to audiobook, started with Chapter 1
End page: Finished Chapter 5, translates to 60 pages or so.
Listened for a total of 2.5 hours
Did not finish book

Time Zone: EST

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

And another welcome to South Carolina - the Palmetto State - hello Mary - you are off and running with a good book for the Japan challenge

message 40: by Chris (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:46AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 89 comments Checking in from Wichita, KS (8 AM, CDT)

The English Spy (Gabriel Allon, #15) by Daniel Silva by Daniel Silva Daniel Silva
Genre: Fiction/Thriller > Espionage

Start page: 55 (Chapt. 9)8:00 am
End page: 175 (Chapt. 33) 10:45 am

Pages read: 120

Total books completed: 0

message 41: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Welcome Chris from the great state of Kansas - the Sunflower State.

message 42: by Leslie (last edited Aug 22, 2015 12:21PM) (new)

Leslie | 49 comments Checking in.

The Founding of Christendom A History of Christendom, Vol. 1 by Warren H. Carroll The Founding of Christendom: A History of Christendom, Vol. 1 by Warren H. Carroll Warren H. Carroll

Genre: History of Religion
Starting- Page 192
Ending - Page 194. Busy in the yard!
Pages read: 2
Time spent reading: 10 minutes
No books completed during this session.

message 43: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yea - Leslie you are here - welcome to Leslie from the beautiful state of North Carolina - love those Outer Banks and Ocracoke Island - North Carolina - the Tar Heel State.

message 44: by Glynn (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:15AM) (new)

Glynn | 214 comments Checking in from Melbourne, Florida.
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr byAnthony Doerr Anthony Doerr
Genre: Historical Fiction
Starting page: 487
Ending page: 531 (finished!)
Time spent reading: 1 hour

Now off to the library to see if the next one I will attempt is really there!
Revolutionary Characters What Made the Founders Different by Gordon S. Wood

Well, the library had the book! On to checkpoint 2 :)

message 45: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Welcome to Glynn from Melbourne, Florida - the beautiful Sunshine State

message 46: by Teri (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:10AM) (new)

Teri (teriboop) Isaac's Storm A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson by Erik Larson Erik Larson
Genre: History
Start page: 87
End page: 145
Total pages read: 58
Total time read: 2 hour 20 mins
Books Completed: none

message 47: by Ebb (new)

Ebb (ebbsbooks) The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison by E.R. Eddison E.R. Eddison

Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy

Page Start - 92
Page End - 100

Number of Pages Read - 8

Time Read - 20 mins (8:30 am - 8:50 am)

Completion of Book during this Check In: no

Name of Book Completed -none

message 48: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Welcome to Teri from the great state of Texas - the Lone Star State

message 49: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Welcome to Ebony from the Garden State of New Jersey

message 50: by Michael (last edited Aug 22, 2015 11:02AM) (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 405 comments Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1) by Harry Harrison by Harry Harrison Harry Harrison

Genre or genres: Alternate History, Fiction
Start Page: 208
Finish Page for this checkpoint:274
Total Pages Read:66
How much time did you read during this block of time:4 hrs
Books Complete: 0
What were they?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.