Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

One Night with You (Fatal, #0.5)
This topic is about One Night with You
Archived: Series Reads > One Night with You (Fatal 0.5), by Marie Force [Start Date: September 01, 2015]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2015 07:51PM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
Cover

One Night with You by Marie Force

Since the debut of Fatal Affair in 2010, Fatal Series readers have been wondering about that “memorable” one-night stand between Sam Holland and Nick Cappuano that took place six years before Fatal Affair opens. Well, wonder no more!

One Night With You tells the story of Sam and Nick’s fateful first meeting in which all the chemistry and heat we have come to expect from them is on full display from the first moments they meet.

Get all the details of Sam and Nick’s unforgettable night together in this 14,000-word novella! You might want to keep a fan and some ice water handy, because this story is H-O-T!
✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤

Fatal Affair(Book #1) Discussion Thread

Please feel free to join us. As always expect spoilers.

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
September 01 Chp.1 – 5 Trea

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

Lara | 2335 comments Okay, it looks good. I'm in. But, I may read it after the first book as it sounds like it gives background, and that may be better appreciated after the fact.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "Okay, it looks good. I'm in. But, I may read it after the first book as it sounds like it gives background, and that may be better appreciated after the fact."

That's what I'm thinking. Plus I want to have the experience the author had in mind for the reader when she wrote the first book.

message 6: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments I'm in, and I'll wind up re-reading it!

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments I'm in, just waiting till Sept 1st to discuss... lol.

Silvia | 643 comments In!

Silvia | 643 comments Just started!

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Any volunteers for DQs? If not I can get to it when I'm done with #1.

message 11: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments I can, if we can wait until tomorrow to post them. I need to re-read it first.

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Trea wrote: "I can, if we can wait until tomorrow to post them. I need to re-read it first."

Sure , that would be great. Thanks

message 13: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments ShoSho wrote: "Trea wrote: "I can, if we can wait until tomorrow to post them. I need to re-read it first."

Sure , that would be great. Thanks"

Sure thing!

message 14: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I'm listening to the audiobook. I'm over half way through, but have limited time to listen now that the semester and classes have started.

message 15: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Trea’s Discussion Questions For Chapters 1-5

1. Do you think Sam should have been more respectful of her superior officer in public, even though she had known him all her life? Comments.

2. Is Sam overreacting to the hug and kiss greeting from her dad, with him being the deputy chief of police? They are in a non-professional setting, so why should she have this reaction?

3. Angela seems to be a very manipulative and immature older sister, especially in taking advantage of Sam’s goodwill. Thoughts?

4. Do you find it odd that Sam’s living with 3 guys?

5. Sam seems to be a very ambitious woman. Do you think she should be concerned that she’ll get a reputation as a kiss up or brown-noser, especially in light of who her father is to the department?

6. Is Sam right to brush off Angela’s concerns about Peter?

7. Sam seems to resent her father’s deep involvement in her life. Should she be grateful that she has a father that cares or continue to resent the involvement?

8. The revelation about Sam’s mom seems haphazard, almost thrown into the story. What kind of impact do you think it had on Sam besides what was mentioned in the story?

9. Sam’s apparent hatred of parties seems justified, especially after the beer incident. Do mixer parties serve a purpose or is it just an excuse to get a little crazy?

10. The description of Nick had me thinking Italian origin, and yet Sam identifies him as Irish. Did this surprise you?

11. Sam and Nick got cozy rather quick! Flash of a gun and a badge and they’re ready to hit the sack! Can they really be that attracted to each other after so brief a meeting?

12. Suddenly, Angela pulls the big sister card! Do you think it is a ploy to make herself look better to Spencer?

13. The banter between Nick and Sam as they’re leaving the party is promising. With them both working in DC, do you hold out hope that the one night stand they seem to be aiming for will grow into something more?

14. Whopping amount of chemistry, steamy love scenes, and cuddling after sex, yet Sam doesn’t seem to want to take it to relationship status. Thoughts?

15. Did you like the prequel? Did you read it before or after reading Fatal Affair? Will you continue with the series, based on this book?

message 16: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Trea’s Discussion Questions For Chapters 1-5

1. Do you think Sam should have been more respectful of her superior officer in public, even though she had known him all her life? Comments. Yes, I think she should have been more respectful of him. Just because you've known him most of your life does not excuse you from showing him the respect due to his rank in public.

2. Is Sam overreacting to the hug and kiss greeting from her dad, with him being the deputy chief of police? They are in a non-professional setting, so why should she have this reaction? I think she is overreacting a bit, but I can understand why after all the whispers of favoritism that have followed her as she got promoted.

3. Angela seems to be a very manipulative and immature older sister, especially in taking advantage of Sam’s goodwill. Thoughts? I can see Sam really chafing under this after a while, especially if Angela doesn't mature at some point.

4. Do you find it odd that Sam’s living with 3 guys? A bit. Isn't she somewhat worried that she could get a reputation, or that one of the roommates will fall for her, but she won't reciprocate? Doesn't seem a smart move, no matter how much freedom she may want from her family.

5. Sam seems to be a very ambitious woman. Do you think she should be concerned that she’ll get a reputation as a kiss up or brown-noser, especially in light of who her father is to the department? I think that the extra hours can be construed in the wrong light, and that her obsession with her student loan debt can be considered an excuse.

6. Is Sam right to brush off Angela’s concerns about Peter? NO!! His mannerisms come off as vaguely stalkerish! Peter is going to be a problem at some point...

7. Sam seems to resent her father’s deep involvement in her life. Should she be grateful that she has a father that cares or continue to resent the involvement? I think she should be grateful for it! His involvement is his way of showing he cares about her!

8. The revelation about Sam’s mom seems haphazard, almost thrown into the story. What kind of impact do you think it had on Sam besides what was mentioned in the story? It's clear she wasn't close to her mother, not like her sisters were. Her resentment of parties and the dressing up for them, her ambition to make her father proud are all signs of a more tomboyish attitude that make her a little more harsh than a softer woman would be.

9. Sam’s apparent hatred of parties seems justified, especially after the beer incident. Do mixer parties serve a purpose or is it just an excuse to get a little crazy? Having never attended parties like this in college, I'm inclined to say they're just an excuse to get smashed and hook up with people randomly.

10. The description of Nick had me thinking Italian origin, and yet Sam identifies him as Irish. Did this surprise you? YES!! Especially with the last name of Cappuano, it skewed Italian to me, not Irish!

11. Sam and Nick got cozy rather quick! Flash of a gun and a badge and they’re ready to hit the sack! Can they really be that attracted to each other after so brief a meeting? I think it was just a convenient ploy to get a sex scene into the book. No way they could be that attracted to each other after an exchange of names and a couple of words about the party.

12. Suddenly, Angela pulls the big sister card! Do you think it is a ploy to make herself look better to Spencer? Yeah, I think so. She blew this guy off for her high school sweetheart who wasn't worth it.

13. The banter between Nick and Sam as they’re leaving the party is promising. With them both working in DC, do you hold out hope that the one night stand they seem to be aiming for will grow into something more? I do! I'd like to see what happens when Nick comes back from Europe!

14. Whopping amount of chemistry, steamy love scenes, and cuddling after sex, yet Sam doesn’t seem to want to take it to relationship status. Thoughts? Doesn't really make sense to me, makes her seem seem weak when she really isn't.

15. Did you like the prequel? Did you read it before or after reading Fatal Affair? Will you continue with the series, based on this book? I loved it! I did read it before Fatal Affair, and since I love the author's Gansett Island series, I am definitely going to continue this series!

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll read this today. Thanks Trea for the Qs.

message 18: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments ShoSho wrote: "I'll read this today. Thanks Trea for the Qs."

Sure thing! Just re-read it myself, so I could come up with the questions!

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I don't like the models on the cover! The man's face is not Nick's!

message 20: by Sue (last edited Sep 01, 2015 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments 1. Do you think Sam should have been more respectful of her superior officer in public, even though she had known him all her life? Comments.
In public, yes

2. Is Sam overreacting to the hug and kiss greeting from her dad, with him being the deputy chief of police? They are in a non-professional setting, so why should she have this reaction?
Thought that was too much it’s not like she can deny the connection and its father/daughter nothing closer

3. Angela seems to be a very manipulative and immature older sister, especially in taking advantage of Sam’s goodwill. Thoughts?
Honestly, I thought she was just right. Yes it was a bit immature, but then again if you can’t do that with your sister than who can you do it with?

She took dorm living to a new level, but probably not that usual. Just surprising, I guess where she was a cop she felt she could handle whatever the dished out.

5. Sam seems to be a very ambitious woman. Do you think she should be concerned that she’ll get a reputation as a kiss up or brown-noser, especially in light of who her father is to the department?
Definitely should be concerned; kiss-ups never look good.

This is probably the one thing that Sam totally trusted her own judgement instead of taking in all the information and looking at it. I’ll call it a mistake in overconfidence.

7. Sam seems to resent her father’s deep involvement in her life. Should she be grateful that she has a father that cares or continue to resent the involvement?
Both, it's what kids and parents do. Resent the help, want to protect their child... it's how relationships grow.

8. The revelation about Sam’s mom seems haphazard, almost thrown into the story. What kind of impact do you think it had on Sam besides what been mentioned in the story?
Losing a parent as a teen even an older teen has a big impact, can’t see it any other way.

9. Sam’s apparent hatred of parties seems justified, especially after the beer incident. Do mixer parties serve a purpose or is it just an excuse to get a little crazy?
Can be both; I guess it depends on what you’re looking to get out of it.

10. The description of Nick had me thinking Italian origin, and yet Sam identifies him as Irish. Did this surprise you?
Capuano? Hello that many vowels it has to be an Italian last name, author typo? I think it’s a rule that Italian last names end in a vowel.

11. Sam and Nick got cozy rather quick! Flash of a gun and a badge and they’re ready to hit the sack! Can they really be that attracted to each other after so brief a meeting?
I thought it was totally over the top considering they were both sober

12. Suddenly, Angela pulls the big sister card! Do you think it is a ploy to make herself look better to Spencer?
I just think she woke up; she didn’t expect Sam to leave with anyone.

13. The banter between Nick and Sam as they’re leaving the party is promising. With them both working in DC, do you hold out hope that the one night stand they seem to be aiming for will grow into something more?
Taken on its own with no other influences, the answer is yes. You got the connection.

14. Whopping amount of chemistry, steamy love scenes, and cuddling after sex, yet Sam doesn’t seem to want to take it to relationship status. Thoughts?
No idea why not? Maybe she thought she’d jinx it if she did. And she recently got promoted to detective, wonder if that was a factor

15. Did you like the prequel? Did you read it before or after reading Fatal Affair? Will you continue with the series, based on this book?
Read it after Fatal Affair, first I probably wouldn’t have continued the series based on a novella of a “one night stand”. I like more in plots than meet-cute and have sex. Though I like that stuff included. But, having read it, it was fun to go back and get those details. I enjoy the series, some books more than others (Some crimes are better plotted than others, the chemistry/cast is the reason why I buy the books).

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2015 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho's answers to Trea’s Discussion Questions For Chapters 1-5

1. Do you think Sam should have been more respectful of her superior officer in public, even though she had known him all her life? Comments.
No I think it was fine. She was playful she didn’t mean disrespect.

I believe it was a bar close to police HQ and there were a lot police officers in there, she doesn’t want too much attention on their connection

She didn’t seem like that to me. It’s something that I would to my brothers and sister and they would do to me.

YES! Very odd! Having roommate in her position and age seemed odd in the first place .I can explain having roommate with the need to save money but 3 guys ??

Yes that’s why she doesn’t want a hug and kiss from her father in the public and she’s right

no ! That didn’t sound right to me. She thinks she has good instincts she at least could have paid more attention to what Angela said

I didn’t get that resentment vibe. She just wants to be independent

8. The revelation about Sam’s mom seems haphazard, almost thrown into the story. What kind of impact do you think it had on Sam besides what was mentioned in the story?
It’s huge thing , it must have a huge impact on her but I think since she’s daddy’s girl she hadn’t felt it that bad

hahaha just getting crazy I’d say

It did . I can’t remember if it’s mentioned in book 1 but I was surprised that both of them were Irish

It was lust at first sight! I’ve had it before :P

Nah it’s obvious these sisters care for each other

No comment ! I’ve read the first book

It’s just one night , she’s right to hesitate

I finished book 1 yesterday and yes I’m curious enough to read book 2

message 22: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments @ShoSho for #13- Obviously, I read this one before the first book. Imagine my reaction when I found out what happened and how far forward the story is set from this one!

message 23: by Silvia (last edited Sep 02, 2015 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvia | 643 comments 1. Do you think Sam should have been more respectful of her superior officer in public, even though she had known him all her life? Comments.

I think she was fine given the environment they were in.

Sam was probably being a little too defensive but maybe felt that she didn't want to give her peers ammo, maybe a nepotism type of thing.

Angela probably has tunnel vision when it comes to getting together Spencer. But I didn't find anything wrong with her actions, it's just the way siblings are.

no, her dad had them checked out!

Sam's just trying to prove herself because of who her dad is, she probably feels she has to go the extra mile or her peers may think she got where she is because of favoritism.

She probably feels Angela is being over protective but hindsight is 20-20!

I was brought up by my father, so I can identify with that. Of course she'll be grateful, that comes with maturity.

Like I said, I can relate to her situation. It's a huge impact and I think she didn't have a maternal influence so she may have been more independent than other girls her age. Might have been the reason why having male roommates wasn't such a big deal to her.

sounds like a lot of young single people letting off steam and looking to have a good time.

I think she was saying it sarcastically!

Yes, I can defo see it! Sometimes attraction just works that way. One size doesn't fit all when it comes to how people react!

No, I think she honestly cares for her sister, wants to know who this guy is that Sam's leaving with! I'd want to know!!

I could tell right away that Nick was different and that Sam was surprised too! Instant attraction! It just "felt" right!

I think Sam is thinking about the possibility though! After all, she gave him her number!

I read the first book, 5 stars! Definitely loving the series, off to a great start!

message 24: by Jonetta (last edited Sep 02, 2015 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) FYI, this book is free today on Amazon and others.

Amazon

Kobo

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Jonetta wrote: "FYI, this book is free today on Amazon and others.

Amazon

Kobo"

Thanks, Jonetta!

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @ Silvia

#10. You mean he's not really Irish ?

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Trea wrote: "@ShoSho for #13- Obviously, I read this one before the first book. Imagine my reaction when I found out what happened and how far forward the story is set from this one!"

I usually hate it when there is a big gap between the first time H/H meet and the time they actually get together! I keep thinking all those wasted years!

Silvia | 643 comments ShoSho wrote: "@ Silvia

#10. You mean he's not really Irish ?"

ShoSho - I think she was being tongue in cheek when she asked him, their last names aren't Irish: Cappuano and Holland? His is an Italian last name.

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Silvia wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "@ Silvia

#10. You mean he's not really Irish ?"

ShoSho - I think she was being tongue in cheek when she asked him, their last names aren't Irish: Cappuano and Holland? His is an I..."

LMAO ! Well I took it at face value! When I read #1 I thought he must be Italian and she of Dutch decent but when they both said they are Irish I was surprised but believed it !

message 30: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments ShoSho wrote: "Trea wrote: "@ShoSho for #13- Obviously, I read this one before the first book. Imagine my reaction when I found out what happened and how far forward the story is set from this one!"

I usually h..."

Having read Fatal Affair now, I can see why she did it, but I want to actually see those years too!

message 31: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Okay, I read the story a couple of days ago, but I must agree with ShoSho on everything except the name thing, and for that I agree with Silvia. The Irish bit was absolutely a joke, which is why they both laughed, as neither name is remotely Irish.

My general thoughts on the story--I'm glad I read it after the first book, as I wouldn't have been impressed enough to go on. The foreshadowing with Peter would have annoyed me, and chemistry that led to a night of sex is not enough to haunt anyone as someone who got away. They didn't talk enough to get a feel for each other.

Frankly, my understanding is that Force wrote the story for fans of the series, not as in introduction for newcomers. It answers questions for those who know what happens later, but doesn't provide enough for the reader to expect much in the future. I expected much more discussion/get-to-know you activity and less sex. Then I could see each of them carrying a torch for that long.

As it is, Sam's thought that she didn't do hookups 'anymore' made me wonder about her. She sure went off with Nick surprisingly quickly. They talked for all of 5 minutes before deciding to get in bed. Yes, chemistry, but no substance.

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I agree, Lara. She wrote it for the fans, nothing much happened to convince me of the insta love in the first book. But I enjoyed getting a glimpse of what happened the first time.

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Wellllllll...I still haven't gotten to it. I have it in audio and on my Kindle. I'm wondering if leaving it to my imagination would be best. Ha!

message 34: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Wellllllll...I still haven't gotten to it. I have it in audio and on my Kindle. I'm wondering if leaving it to my imagination would be best. Ha!"

I was enjoying it at least up until Sam and Nick leave the party. There is a bit of interest on the way to Nick's but after they get there not much more than the sex. And of course there is the morning after, and Sam returning home to her roommates. But that part is quite short.

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments We'll see. I'll listen to it when I'm in the mood.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fatal Affair (other topics)
One Night with You (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marie Force (other topics)