Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Fatal Affair (Fatal, #1)
This topic is about Fatal Affair
Archived: Series Reads > Fatal Affair (Fatal #1) by Marie Force [Start Date: September 01, 2015]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2015 08:45PM) (new) - added it

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments
Cover Cover
Fatal Affair by Marie Force

Washington, D.C., Metro Police Detective Sergeant Sam Holland needs a big win to salvage her career--and her confidence--after a disastrous investigation. The perfect opportunity arises when Senator John O'Connor is found brutally murdered in his bed, and Sam is assigned to the case. Matters get complicated when Sam has to team up with Nick Cappuano, O'Connor's friend and chief of staff...and the man Sam had a memorable one-night stand with years earlier. Their sexual chemistry still sizzles, and Sam has to fight to stay focused on the case. Sleeping with a material witness is another mistake she can't afford--especially when the bodies keep piling up.
One Night with You optional read Discussion thread

✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤

One Night with You (Prequel) Discussion Thread

Note: Reading the prequel is optional, please put all the discussion about that novella in spoiler tags.
Please feel free to join us. As always expect spoilers.

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
September 01 Chp.01 – 14 Lisa Kay
September 02 Chp.15 – 26 ShoSho
September 03 Chp.27 – Epilogue ???

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Aug 16, 2015 06:00PM) (new) - added it

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments We are reading(optional) the prequel One Night with You at the same time. It was written 5 years after the first book but refers to events that happened before the first book.
If you are reading the novella please discuss it in its own thread or put your comments in spoiler tags.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in. I haven't decided yet if I want to read the prequel first or after #1.

Lara | 2335 comments I'm in too. I've had the first few books in the series for years now and haven't gotten to them. I didn't kn ow there was a prequel. I'll have to check that out.

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 744 comments I'm ready

message 6: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments I'm in, I can't wait to start!

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments This was a series I caught onto early, unlike others who read the MF's other popular series this was my first. I'll probably re-read my favorites and skim the rest just to refresh my memory as we go along.

message 8: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new) - added it

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Chapter Breakdown done above.

message 9: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments River (Online Elf) wrote: "Chapter Breakdown done above."

Woot! Lisa Kay is back! You've been missed!

message 10: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Just as an FYI: Fatal Scandal (book 8) is on sale on Amazon today for $0.99!

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks, Trea... for the welcome and the book on sale info. :o)

message 12: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Thanks, Trea... for the welcome and the book on sale info. :o)"

*smiles* You're welcome!

Elishia | 2620 comments I'm in haven't done BR here for ages.

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yaay

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Neat!

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2015 08:18PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Discussion Questions by Lisa Kay for Chapters 01-14

1. How do you like Nick Cappuano so far? Does he make an attractive leading man? What of his feelings toward Sam, how quickly he wants to pick up where they left off. Although, he did pull back when she told him told how sorry she was she didn’t get the messages; can’t blame him, with what he’s dealing with.

2. How do you like Sam Holland? We all know her resistance of Nick is futile, but I think it more realistic this way. You?

3. What did you think of Nick & Sam’s first encounter? Were you surprised at how soon the reason they didn’t reconnect after their “one night stand” was cleared up? Or do you think it isn’t yet? BTW, that Peter is a scum bucket.

4. What do you think of Sam’s relationship with Chief Farnsworth? His connection with her father? Should he have taken her off the case as soon as he found out she knew Nick? Will Sam’s Quentin Johnson history come back to bite her in the tush? What of her dyslexia?

5. Senator John O’Connor’s murder was pretty gruesome. Given the appendage that was cut off, do you suspect a male or a female murderer? Is it a given that it is a crime of passion? Does that gruesome detail rule out the possibility that it was about the vote?

6. What do you think of Christina Billings’ love of O’Connor? Does this make her more of a suspect or less of one? Do you think she ever acted on her feelings and we just don’t know it yet? Could O’Connor have taken advantage of them? Also, did you get a little more suspicious of her when Christine was the one to point out to Nick about John’s recent depression? What of Nick not telling Sam about Christina’s feelings? Of her confronting him about this? Does the dialogue ring true?

7. How do you like Sam’s relationship with her dad? What of Nurse Celia’s comment on O’Connor, “But there was something sort of sad about him, too.” Nice use of foreshadowing?

8. Anyone in O’Connor’s family you strongly suspect? By the way, will we ever read a romantic suspense book where the closest person to the deceased says calmly, “Yes, yes…I know logically and historically I’m a major suspect, and you would be a fool not to check out my alibi, so no offense taken; however, here’s all I know so that you can rule me out as soon as possible and find the real culprit.”? Anyway, let’s run through them:
- Graham, father. Did the second son somehow disappoint him more than the first?
- Laine, mother. Does she know something she’s not telling Sam?
- Terry, older brother. Jealous that John got the life he was supposed to have? Think he’ll find his alibi?
- Lizbeth, older sister; Royce Hamilton, Lizbeth’s husband. Did their money troubles overwhelm them?
9. Are you enjoying Sam’s partner, Frederico Cruz, AKA “Freddie”? He sure picked up on the vibes between Nick and Sam quickly. Should she just have been honest with him from the start? Comments. BTW, enjoyed his pouting over never getting to be bad cop.

10. Was it the murderer who broke into Nick’s home, or could there be another reason? Does Nick’s neatness/OCD make him a little more endearing?

11. Whoa. Sam went a little ballistic there after Nick’s comment about a woman he could have married. Comments.

12. Uh oh. Nick didn’t tell Sam about O’Connor’s second home. Seriously, this dude wouldn’t make a good detective, true?

13. What of the picture of TJO. He’s got to be O’Connor’s son, right? Yet Nick doesn’t know about him. What do you think of the Spider-Man’s signature and “With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility”?

14. Nick wakes Sam from her nightmare…and things get said that I would find hard to resist; still she turns him down. Well, I guess anyone who would go out to that cabin at midnight after working all day really is dedicated. Plus, she does have a lot to prove. Comments.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments
Watergate Complex

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 327 comments GREAT questions Lisa Kay!

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks, Jonetta. :o)

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments My library copy should be in soon.

Silvia | 638 comments In!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Neat, Logan and Silvia.

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm starting now.

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2015 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just finished chapter 11, this is much much better that what I thought it would be.
(view spoiler)

Elishia | 2620 comments That's good to here I'm starting now.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LMBO, ShoSho! **hee hee**

Silvia | 638 comments I'll be starting later tonight! Looking forward to it!

Silvia | 638 comments I just started the prequel One Night with You (Fatal, #0.5) by Marie Force !

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2015 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Silvia wrote: "I just started the prequel One Night with You (Fatal, #0.5) by Marie Force!"

I'll start that one after this one. I figured it would be better to read this book the way the author intended for us to read it , figuring out what happened that night bit by bit.

I'm answering the first set of Qs now.

Silvia | 638 comments Hmmmm, ok I stopped reading One Night with You (Fatal, #0.5) by Marie Force . I've only read about 6 pages. Will read after Fatal Affair (Fatal, #1) by Marie Force ; )

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2015 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho's answers to Discussion Questions by Lisa Kay for Chapters 01-14

1. How do you like Nick Cappuano so far? Does he make an attractive leading man? What of his feelings toward Sam, how quickly he wants to pick up where they left off. Although, he did pull back when she told him told him how sorry she was she didn’t get the messages; can’t blame him, with what he’s dealing with.
I like him very much, he’s different .He’s not the typical hero in a RS. I’m guessing the night ,they had together 6 years ago, had been something else for him to react to her this way.

2. How do you like Sam Holland? We all know her resistance of Nick is futile, but I think it more realistic this way. You?
I like her .Her reason for resisting Nick is very reasonable. I thought Nick is pushing her too much, she is not in a position to do what Nick wants her to do and he should let her do her job

3. What did you think of Nick & Sam’s first encounter? Were you surprised at how soon the reason they didn’t reconnect after their “one night stand” was cleared up? Or do you think it isn’t yet? BTW, that Peter is a sum bucket.
I’m so happy it cleared up so fast and they didn’t dance around for the rest of the book. Yes he is and I’m sure we’ll meet Peter sooner or later!

4. What do you think of Sam’s relationship with Chief Farnsworth? His connection with her father? Should he have taken her off the case as soon as he found out she knew Nick? Will Sam’s Quentin Johnson history come back to bite her in the tush? What of her dyslexia?
People know each other , there was no way for Farnworth to know there something more than a simple acquaintance between these 2 .I don’t think that accident would bite in the ass ,the problem is her own guilt. Whatever happens with that case is her internal struggle and how she would come to accept what happened as something out of her control. The dyslexia was a surprise!

5. Senator John O’Connor’s murder was pretty gruesome. Given the appendage that was cut off, do you suspect a male or a female murderer? Is it a given that it is a crime of passion? Does that gruesome detail rule out the possibility that it was about the vote?
It was gruesome, poor Nick! Seeing his best friend murdered that way was really hard for him. I liked how the author wrote those scenes, I almost cried!
I have so many theories, 1. I keep thinking a man killed him as in he was gay 2. What if it’s not a crime of passion and the killer wants the police to think that way. It’s all about the vote .3 My first suspect was Chris, now I’m not so sure.
And so many more …

6. What do you think of Christina Billings’ love of O’Connor? Does this make her more of a suspect or less of one? Do you think she ever acted on her feelings and we just don’t know it yet? Could O’Connor have taken advantage of them? Also, did you get a little more suspicious of her when Christine was the one to point out to Nick about John’s recent depression? What of Nick not telling Sam about Christina’s feelings? Of her confronting him about this? Does the dialogue ring true?
She was my first suspect but I’m not sure anymore. I don’t think she ever acted on her feelings. The depression part was a bit suspicious

7. How do you like Christine’s relationship with her dad? What of Nurse Celia’s comment on O’Connor, “But there was something sort of sad about him, too.” Nice use of foreshadowing?
You mean Sam, right? I thought how can you tell someone is sad by just watching the news but yes it was just foreshadowing.

8. Anyone in O’Connor’s family you strongly suspect? By the way, will we ever read a romantic suspense book where the closest person to the deceased says calmly, “Yes, yes…I know logically and historically I’m a major suspect, and you would be a fool not to check out my alibi, so no offense taken; however, here’s all I know so that you can rule me out as soon as possible and find the real culprit.”? Probably never because I don’t think people are rational when they just found out their loved ones are murdered.
Anyway, let’s run through them:
- Graham, father. Did the second son somehow disappoint him more than the first?No way
- Laine, mother. Does she know something she’s not telling Sam? She is not deliberately hiding something related to the murder but she might know something that can help with the investigation and never thought it important
- Terry, older brother. Jealous that John got the life he was supposed to have? Think he’ll find his alibi? He could be but I don’t think he’s the killer
- Lizbeth, older sister; Royce Hamilton, Lizbeth’s husband. Did their money troubles overwhelm them?Again they could have but I don’t think they did it

9. Are you enjoying Sam’s partner, Frederico Cruz, AKA “Freddie”? He sure picked up on the vibes between Nick and Sam quickly. Should she just have been honest with him from the start? Comments. BTW, enjoyed his pouting over never getting to be bad cop.
I’m jealous of him! How can he eat this much and not gain weight!!!!?? She should have told him, he could have helped her when the shit hit the fan and I’m sure it will before the end of the book. He reminds me of Peabody

10. Was it the murderer who broke into Nick’s home, or could there be another reason? Does Nick’s neatness/OCD make him a little more endearing?
I’m guessing it was the murderer. Well that’s a loaded question and the simple answer is yes. I live with someone like that (probably way worst than Nick) and sometimes it’s hard but sometimes it’s not.

11. Whoa. Sam went a little ballistic there after Nick’s comment about a woman he could have married. Comments.
I liked loved that! He knows what he wants and he’s not afraid of talking about it. Her reaction was reasonable.

12. Uh oh. Nick didn’t tell Sam about O’Connor’s second home. Seriously, this dude wouldn’t make a good detective, true?
LOL no he wouldn’t

13. What of the picture of TJO. He’s got to be O’Connor’s son, right? Yet Nick doesn’t know about him. What do you think of the Spider-Man’s signature and “With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility”?
He’s most likely the son but could he be the nephew

14. Nick wakes Sam from her nightmare…and things get said that I would find hard to resist; still she turns him down. Well, I guess anyone who would go out to that cabin at midnight after working all day really is dedicated. Plus, she does have a lot to prove. Comments.
I think she’s doing the right thing and Nick should stop pushing her. Finding the killer is more important at this point and she’d need to concentrate on that and not Nick and the complications their relationship would cause.

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll do the next set of Qs.

message 33: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2015 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho’s Question for chapter 15-26

15. Why did John’s parents lie about his son? They should know the police will figure this out sooner or later. I’m starting to suspect his father!

16. What do you think Destiny Johnson threatening Sam? Did she really mean it or is she just grieving?

17. This is getting juicy! All the kinky sex he’s been having! Do you think the killer is among his ex’s? Tara the waitress, Elin the personal trainer or Natalie or her husband? I’m wondering why they were surprised that Natalie had never told her husband about her sex life with John. Would you talk to you husband about kinky stuff you did with your ex? I know I wouldn’t!

18. Have you read “In death” Series? Sam is just like Eve in so many ways and different in many others. Do you see the similarities between Eve and Sam and all the other characters and circumstances? Are you ok with it or is it bothering you?

19. Who are the triplets (Charity, Faith and Hope Miller) that were mentioned? One of them is assistant US attorney but why bring them up at all?!

20. Her lieutenant, Stahl, is an ass and he’s going to cause problems now that he’s going to be in internal affairs! I just know it! What do you think?

21. The bomb! Was it the grieving mother, someone related to John’s case or as the think it was Peter??

22. I know most of you would think Sam is being bitchy towards Nick. But the truth is I’d be very irritated too if someone did what Nick is doing to her, pushing her when all she needs is to concentrate on the job! Thoughts?

23.LOL Freddie is a virgin ! I didn’t see that coming!

24. Patricia was very weird and creepy saying “My John”, did you get the same vibe? Is she telling the truth about John only loving her and how his parents treated her? Is she the killer? Is she the reason for John’s sadness? What about his son?

25. Peter is creepier than I thought .Plus the portrait I’m getting for his character is not consistence. He is supposed to be obsessed with Sam but earlier Sam though:” Unless it was leading to sex, Peter had never bothered with the random acts of affection that Nick doled out so effortlessly.” Did he plant the bombs?

26.Are they moving too fast in their relationship?

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ ShoSho

#1 – I’m thinking this is so, too. Makes me really want to read the prequel, see what’s going through his head.

#2 – Men!

#3 – Yes, I was pleasantly surprised. Glad it didn’t drag one. Sort of smacked me in the face, same as them. Kind of neat experience.

#5 – Yup…that is exactly the way I saw it, too. Same thought process. :o)

#6. Ha! Yup…still right with you.

#7 – Ooops! Yes, I meant Sam.

#8 – True.

#9 – LOL! Again, ditto, ditto, ditto.

#10 – :o)

#14 – Yup. But, this guy has “toxic sperm build-up.” LOL!

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'll get to your questions later, ShoSho.

message 36: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "@ ShoSho

this guy has “toxic sperm build-up

LMAO! So true!

Silvia | 638 comments 1. How do you like Nick Cappuano so far? Does he make an attractive leading man? What of his feelings toward Sam, how quickly he wants to pick up where they left off. Although, he did pull back when she told him told him how sorry she was she didn’t get the messages; can’t blame him, with what he’s dealing with.

I like him so far, great leading man material. Sam and Nick seem perfect for each other. They both are sending out strong vibes towards each other. It's definitely not one sided!

Sam seems like a very strong female leading character, I like her. She wants Nick as much as he wants her but she knows her job may be in jeopardy if they reveal their relationship too soon.

3. What did you think of Nick & Sam’s first encounter? Were you surprised at how soon the reason they didn’t reconnect after their “one night stand” was cleared up? Or do you think it isn’t yet? BTW, that Peter is a sum bucket.

We didn't get too much info on the first encounter except it was fast, hot, and steamy. That Peter, what a dog! He wanted Sam as more than his roommate so deflected Nick's calls! But it was a probably a blessing. Who's to say Nick and Sam would have had time for each other back then!

I think the police force is all a big family so of course everyone's close. I don't think the chief knows enough about Sam and Nick's prior relationship to take Sam off the case. He just knows she met him once 6 years ago. It's going to be a while before her history with Quentin Johnson is forgotten and any stumble by her is going to bring it to the forefront! Not sure about her dyslexia, it must have been brought up for a reason.

I'm thinking it was a sexual encounter, not sure male or female. Maybe he was into some kind of kinky sex given the hard porn found on his computer. I don't think it was regarding the vote.

I'm not sure if Christine is involved although she sure flew off the handle during the first interview. Not smart! I think that Sam went overboard when Christine told her that Nick knew how Christine felt about John. I mean, come on, he just went through a terrible shock finding his best friend brutally murdered.

7. How do you like Christine’s relationship with her dad? What of Nurse Celia’s comment on O’Connor, “But there was something sort of sad about him, too.” Nice use of foreshadowing?

Well it will give Sam something to dig for, why was John sad?

8. Anyone in O’Connor’s family you strongly suspect? By the way, will we ever read a romantic suspense book where the closest person to the deceased says calmly, “Yes, yes…I know logically and historically I’m a major suspect, and you would be a fool not to check out my alibi, so no offense taken; however, here’s all I know so that you can rule me out as soon as possible and find the real culprit.”?

I don't think people think like that when they're in shock.

Anyway, let’s run through them:
- Graham, father. Did the second son somehow disappoint him more than the first?

No.

- Laine, mother. Does she know something she’s not telling Sam?

She may be but again, she's still in shock.

- Terry, older brother. Jealous that John got the life he was supposed to have? Think he’ll find his alibi?

I don't think he's the killer unless he got someone else to do it.

- Lizbeth, older sister; Royce Hamilton, Lizbeth’s husband. Did their money troubles overwhelm them?

Again, it would be too obvious. I don't think they did it unless they were in cahoots with someone!

Freddie is a great character. Mr Junk Food Junkie! Sam thinks he's good looking but he eats so much that you would think he'd be all bloated what with donuts and "Golden Arches"! Lol! Sam doesn't want anyone to know about her and Nick so she's definitely not going to tell Freddie. Probably doesn't want to put him the middle of any conflict of interest.

I think it was the murderer who broke into Nick's place, looking for something, but what?? Nick's OCD is a great trait which we'll probably see more of in this series, along with Sam's dyslexia!

He was being up front, gotta love it.

IKR?! But then again, Nick has a lot on his plate.

I think it's his son, related to $3000 monthly payment perhaps? But would that be too obvious, maybe he was being blackmailed?

I think Sam and Nick are both attracted to each other, he doesn't have to hide his attraction but Sam does because of her work. They have to work it out. I think she'd feel hurt and perhaps confused if all of a sudden Nick stopped showing his feelings for her.

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @Silvia

#10. Good point about seeing both his OCD and her dyslexia in the series.

#14.True.

Lauren (laurenjberman) ShoSho wrote: "I just finished chapter 11, this is much much better that what I thought it would be.
[spoilers removed]"

That's funny, ShoSho. I wouldn't want him touching my stuff, lol! There is method to my madness :0)

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lauren wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "I just finished chapter 11, this is much much better that what I thought it would be.
[spoilers removed]"

That's funny, ShoSho. I wouldn't want him touching my stuff, lol! There is method to my madness :0)

Aha that's exactly what I used to say before getting married. If my sock was under the bed I knew it was there and I would pick it up when I had to. Now I simply ask hubby where it is!

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Any volunteers for the last set of QDs?

message 42: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "ha that's exactly what I used to say before getting married. If my sock was under the bed I knew it was there and I would pick it up when I had to. Now I simply ask hubby where it is! "

Hah! I've asked my husband where he put my things and he had no idea! He just wanted it out of sight.

message 43: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments 1. How do you like Nick Cappuano so far? Does he make an attractive leading man? What of his feelings toward Sam, how quickly he wants to pick up where they left off. Although, he did pull back when she told him told him how sorry she was she didn’t get the messages; can’t blame him, with what he’s dealing with.

Definitely leading man material, not over the top alpha male, series would not work if that was the case. Very in control, but watch out if he lets go. Has to allow his partner to think and take risks of her own, I think that’s why for this story he’s the perfect leading man. Though my only wish list item would be he’d be edgier, but then again he’s in shock. I will have to see if I eventually get my wish list item.

Sam is a strong character and fighting the attraction, all because of Nick’s involvement in the crime scene. I definitely think it’s realistic, she’s fighting her LT and she recently had a big case blow up in her face. Yes, it’s realistic for her to pull back. Preservation.

First encounter, definitely hot and steamy. I actually think it was interesting that MF skipped the “meet-cute” and went for “yeah we had a one night stand and you blew me off”. I thought it resolves to quickly though.

I think it’s common for children/close relatives of police officers to work extremely hard not to have the “favoritism” label applied. As for Nick, he’s been ruled out almost immediately. I didn’t have an issue with him being involved in the case or on it. Quentin Johnson’s history is always there undermining her confidence, so he’s there already. I thought the dyslexia thing shows just how far she doesn’t want the “favoritism” label applied. She wants the tough cases and wants nothing to detract from getting them.

My thought was a jealous lover, definitely someone who felt like that “appendage” caused all the problems. I do think it had nothing to do with the vote; story never convinced me it was a factor. Just something to take up plot space, heck it’s a Senator it was a road that had to be travelled. But it wasn’t all that convincing.

Because this clearly was a crime of passion (heck I’m not a cop and I knew that), as soon as Christina’s feelings come out she’d have been a suspect. Nick not disclosing her feeling, I think that’s an investigation rookie mistake. He was trying to protect his friend’s feelings, nothing more. As for the depression, no I didn’t think she looked guiltier. Maybe it’s a story tellers “guidelines” but you’d feel menace if she was really guilty, it was too soon for a reveal. You usually a slight tip off, always too something. I thought she was a genuine character, someone who loved a man but settled for being around him. Now if he’d dated her, all bets are off.

I’m going to assume Celia not Christine here, actually I like that she’s close. Means someone cares when the direct family is away, to me a win-win. As for the “sad” comment, I definitely think it’s foreshadowing, who kills a guy like that if he’s a saint.

8. Anyone in O’Connor’s family you strongly suspect? By the way, will we ever read a romantic suspense book where the closest person to the deceased says calmly, “Yes, yes…I know logically and historically I’m a major suspect, and you would be a fool not to check out my alibi, so no offense taken; however, here’s all I know so that you can rule me out as soon as possible and find the real culprit.”?

LOL – No way is that ever going to happen, calm after a shock. Nope
I never suspected anyone in the family, Terry struck me as pathetic not strong enough and I think he did love his brother. Had Terry been killed I might have thought Graham might have contracted it out, a little heartless. Not thinking for a second that Terry lost a brother, he’s pathetic for a reason. He didn’t get there all by himself. Lane, nope, never. Same with his sister, her names escapes me.

Freddie is a great character, he’s got these quirks. Eats junk food, is the guy and has better language than Sam. Has some good instincts and definitely picks up vibes. I like their relationship has lots of kidding but at the same time it’s a mentor/mentored and partner/friend relationship.

Nick’s OCD makes him less perfect, which is endearing as long as he doesn’t push it onto those who aren’t. As for the break-in, at this point I’d think it’s the murderer, but it feels unconnected yet important if that makes sense.

Honesty works for me, but I could get why she freaked out.

My god, why doesn’t he just dump his brain into a computer, seriously does he have to say it without being asked, like “Nick, do you have a list of John’s properties?” She blamed him for her inattention, hello he’s not an investigator. And he just lost his best friend and he’s busy romancing her…., so he doesn’t tell. She’s treating him to much like a partner (cop).

I think it's his son, definitely a skeleton in the closet. I think the saying is a very endearing way of keep your feet on the ground and remember you are there on someone else’s dime (Assumed he considered it part of his Senator “message”). I liked it. The fact that its Spiderman can go either way either it says he’s a kid at heart or he’s not taking it seriously. I’m going to go with kid at heart.

I think she’s scared of committing to fast, scared of committing and compromising the case, she’s just plain scared. Nick was full on prince charming; she’s got more strength than most.

message 44: by Sue (last edited Sep 01, 2015 05:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments ShoSho wrote: "ShoSho's answers to Discussion Questions by Lisa Kay for Chapters 01-14

I’m jealous of him! How can he eat this much and not gain weight!!!!?? She should have told him, he could have helped her when the shit hit the fan and I’m sure it will before the end of the book. He reminds me of Peabody..."

This made me laugh and I thought nailed it with Peabody.

message 45: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 205 comments Sorry really new to this, but can I suggestion a question? Do I send it to ShoSho for tomorrow? Sorry cannot commit to taking this on, but am happy to supply a few questions for consideration.

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @Sue

#2.Exactly
#6.I thought he didn't even think that Christina could be a suspect or her feelings were important to the investigation ,that's why he didn't say anything.
#7. Lisa Kay meant Sam's relationship with her father.

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Sue wrote: "Sorry really new to this, but can I suggestion a question? Do I send it to ShoSho for tomorrow? Sorry cannot commit to taking this on, but am happy to supply a few questions for consideration."

Yes just send them to me ,I'll add mine and we have a set a DQs ;)

message 48: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I finished listening to the audiobook tonight. It was good, but the narrator was just okay. So, here I go with my answers...

Chapters 01-14

1. How do you like Nick Cappuano so far?
I was leaning towards liking him, though he seemed really driven. And he's in shock, so not going to be the most graceful when dealing with the sudden appearance of someone he'd been interested in.

2. How do you like Sam Holland?
I absolutely agree that she should be holding off. I'm just surprised that she hasn't made it clear how a relationship could damage her career at a time when she' vulnerable. If he's really interested in her, given his career in the political arena, he should be more sympathetic. Instead, he seems more petulant and spoiled, wanting what he wants, and brushing off her very valid concerns.

3. What did you think of Nick & Sam’s first encounter? Were you surprised at how soon the reason they didn’t reconnect after their “one night stand” was cleared up? Or do you think it isn’t yet? BTW, that Peter is a scum bucket.
Okay, I think Sam is a bit conflicted. She's really strong, then turns rather mushy around Nick. I'm not too worried about the 'conflict' being cleared up as Nick's lack of concern about her career is a bigger issue to me. And yes, it sounds like Peter was manipulative and a jerk.

So, first off, I'm not sure why she's so worried about the dyslexia issue. Especially as it isn't severe, and she can minimize the symptoms. I never felt I got a really good handle on the Quentin Johnson situation, just the bare facts and how it damaged Sam's confidence. As for putting Sam on the case, that seems really borderline. He says she's so good, but it's not clear from other department interactions that that's the case. But, maybe it's also a matter of trust and her style given the high profile nature of the murder.

5. Senator John O’Connor’s murder was pretty gruesome.
It seems really intimate and personal to me. So, I definitely suspect an angry woman. I think that the vote is a red herring.

6. What do you think of Christina Billings’ love of O’Connor? Does this make her more of a suspect or less of one?
I thought that her unrequited love made her much more of a suspect. And I thought that Nick is both shocked, and deciding who and what he thinks is relevant and who is innocent, not just forgetting to tell Sam things. It may not be a conscious choice, but the fact that he had already decided that Christina isn't involved meant to him that there was nothing to tell Sam.

7. How do you like Sam’s relationship with her dad? What of Nurse Celia’s comment on O’Connor, “But there was something sort of sad about him, too.” Nice use of foreshadowing?
I think Sam has a great relationship with her father. It's very supportive and loving. They understand each other. As for the statement, I'm not a fan of foreshadowing, and I was hoping that would pan out more than it did.

8. Anyone in O’Connor’s family you strongly suspect?
Out of all of them, I thin Terry is the most likely. However, there is also the greater possibility that he wouldn't bother and isn't that vindictive and petty, just juvenile. And, I've seen suspects be helpful in Columbo TV shows ;-)

9. Are you enjoying Sam’s partner, Frederico Cruz, AKA “Freddie”? He sure picked up on the vibes between Nick and Sam quickly. Should she just have been honest with him from the start?
I like Freddie. It took me a while to get a handle on his personality, then I found him a really fun character. He does have a sense of humor about his job, and is willing to tease Sam despite admiring her.

I think it was the murderer. And no, I don't find his obsessive neatness endearing.

To be honest, this scene didn't stick with me. But, he is rather emotionally unstable at the moment.

No doubt! He thinks he's so in control of everything and knows what's important, then doesn't even think about something like that.He has no idea what he's doing, but is trying to play equal in the investigation anyway.

Yes, the photo seems like it must be his son, though I also thought it could be Terry's son (he's so irresponsible). And I found the quote a bit cliched--designed to make us like him more.

14. Nick wakes Sam from her nightmare…and things get said that I would find hard to resist; still she turns him down.
Good for Sam! She needs to prioritize, and Nick isn't going anywhere. However, I'm surprised she was so comfortable sleeping in the victim's second home with the key witness there. That was questionable to me.

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2015 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Second set of DQs here

If nobody else wants to do the last set of Qs , I'll do them tomorrow. If any of you want to do them, I have one question from Sue to add to them.

message 50: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Chapters 15-26

15. Why did John’s parents lie about his son?
Image, image, image! And maybe being so used to denying his existence. Though, at this point I'm still wondering if the boy is Terry's.

16. What do you think Destiny Johnson threatening Sam? Did she really mean it or is she just grieving?
Well, she is involved with drug dealers and gangs, so I think there is some danger. And it's common for people to blame the wrong person when a tragedy occurs.

17. This is getting juicy! All the kinky sex he’s been having! Do you think the killer is among his ex’s? Tara the waitress, Elin the personal trainer or Natalie or her husband? I’m wondering why they were surprised that Natalie had never told her husband about her sex life with John. Would you talk to you husband about kinky stuff you did with your ex? I know I wouldn’t!
So crazy! Nick is right that he took huge risks with his behavior. I thought it might be Elin until the interview. Not the waitress, though I could see it being Natalie with her unrequited 'love.' And no, I don't think it was surprising that Natalie kept prior sex details from her husband either. Get real, hardly anyone does that.

18. Have you read “In death” Series? Sam is just like Eve in so many ways and different in many others. Do you see the similarities between Eve and Sam and all the other characters and circumstances? Are you ok with it or is it bothering you?
I've been wondering how much those similarities do bother me. Sam is very much like Eve, though without some of the traumatic personal history. She's always known she wanted to be a cop. She has a higher ranking uncle/father-figure in the force who knows her capabilities very well, but from whom she's kept some secrets. And she has the cute/goody side-kick who looks up to her. So, I think she must have been inspired by In Death, but there are enough important differences to make Sam unique.

19. Who are the triplets (Charity, Faith and Hope Miller) that were mentioned? One of them is assistant US attorney but why bring them up at all?!
Who knows. Maybe it's just window dressing?

20. Her lieutenant, Stahl, is an ass and he’s going to cause problems now that he’s going to be in internal affairs! I just know it! What do you think?
He is a jealous ass! And I'm not sure why he has such a bee up his butt about her. Well, we can only see if he becomes an irritant in future books. I wouldn't be surprised if he's trotted out here and there to give Sam some complications.

21. The bomb! Was it the grieving mother, someone related to John’s case or as the think it was Peter??
My thinking is that is has to do with the grieving mother. Pretty dramatic, though.

22. I know most of you would think Sam is being bitchy towards Nick. But the truth is I’d be very irritated too if someone did what Nick is doing to her, pushing her when all she needs is to concentrate on the job! Thoughts?
I agree! He seems to think she doesn't know what she's talking about in regards to her own career. What an ass he is about blowing off the potential impact their relationship could have. I have very mixed feeling about Nick.

23.LOL Freddie is a virgin ! I didn’t see that coming! He's even cuter now! ;-)

24. Patricia was very weird and creepy saying “My John”, did you get the same vibe? Is she telling the truth about John only loving her and how his parents treated her? Is she the killer? Is she the reason for John’s sadness? What about his son?
So Patricia blew hot and cold to me. I thought she was very uneven, and her motivation in talking with Freddie was not always clear. However, when she mentioned the son was out, I suddenly wondered if he was involved in the murders. As for John's sadness, I think it had more to do with having all of these expectations placed on him such that he felt constrained to live so much of his life to meet others' goals.

25. Peter is creepier than I thought .Plus the portrait I’m getting for his character is not consistence. He is supposed to be obsessed with Sam but earlier Sam though:” Unless it was leading to sex, Peter had never bothered with the random acts of affection that Nick doled out so effortlessly.” Did he plant the bombs?
Peter sounds like a real controlling and manipulative nasty piece of work. Yuck! However, I was surprised that Sam was suddenly so certain that he had been around when she hadn't seen him. Where did that conclusion come from?

26.Are they moving too fast in their relationship?
I think so. From what I can tell, they met at a party, clicked, had a one-night stand, Peter kept them from getting back in touch with each other, and yet Nick has been in love with her ever since. That is really far-fetched to me. At this point they've been around each other for a few days. They hardly know each other, and Nick tells others he respects Sam's skill and expertise, but doesn't act that way when anything happens. I mean, he's been following her career in the press--he knows she's a successful cop who goes into dangerous situations. But he doesn't let her do her job at any time if he's near by. He always interjects himself. It would drive me nuts, and I'm not sure why Sam lets him get away with it.

« previous 1 3