Listomania discussion

Specific Lists > Books every 16-year-old should read

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (last edited Aug 13, 2015 12:39PM) (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 144 comments Mod
This is a weird idea for a list... Our favourite writers on the books every 16-year-old should read. What do y'all think?

If I were asked this, I might choose the following:

On the Road and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - because if they don't read it now, they'll never be able to appreciate these books again at a more mature age

The Complete Persepolis - because it's great and it's important for a teenager to see how teenagers in other parts of the world grow up

Zami: A New Spelling of My Name - because it's important for a teenager to see how teenagers in other times, and with other disadvantages, have grown up in the past

The Book of Ebenezer Le Page and Hannah Coulter - because it's good for a 16 year old to see the world through a very old person, and appreciate the old ways of doing things

What would your choices be?

message 2: by Jonfaith (new)

Jonfaith | 11 comments I appreciate the Adams but not the Beats. Speaking of Douglas Adams, why not Nick Adams: I think Papa is masterful in those stories. I'm going to mull this one further.

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 7 comments It seems to me on a quick perusal that the choices are made for 16-year-olds in an honors class. What about the other teens.

message 4: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 13 comments Second those Nick Adams stories. They meant a lot to me at that age.

message 5: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 13 comments I'll add Edgar Allen Poe and Walt Whitman to the list. Maybe Jack London's stories.

message 6: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 5 comments I love, love, love that Zami was suggested. a great book to accompany that would be A Restricted Country by Joan Nestle.

I'd recommend Absolute Beginners by Colin MacInnes.

I will also be a total cliche and say that Catcher in the Rye should be on any list for 16-year-olds.