Pakistani Readers discussion

Books > What are you reading these days?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 228 (228 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Hello everyone, I thought that it might be fun to have a place where we could talk about the books that we are reading and/or have just finished reading, thanks! :-)

message 2: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Recently read and enjoyed the following books:

--Married In Seattle Married In Seattle (First Comes Marriage & Wanted Perfect Partner) by Debbie Macomber by Debbie Macomber

--Me and Mr. Darcy Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter by Alexandra Potter. 

--Kissing the Maid of Honor Kissing the Maid of Honor (Secret Wishes, #1) by Robin Bielman by Robin Bielman.

--Just the Sexiest Man Alive Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James by Julie James

--My One and Only  My One and Only by Kristan Higgins by Kristan Higgins

--Fiance by Fate Fiance by Fate (Anyone But You, #1) by Jennifer Shirk by Jennifer Shirk.

Plus re-read two of my favourites Romance books:

--Paradise Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1) by Judith McNaught by Judith McNaught

--Twenties Girl Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella by Sophie Kinsella

Recommendations for similar books/authors would be very much appreciated, thanks! :-)

Now started Getting Rid of Bradley Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie by Jennifer Crusie.

message 3: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments I finished reading ' As you like it ' by Shakespeare. And currently reading C.K Chesterton's ' the man who was Thursday '

message 4: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments I think there is a thread similar to this. but having a fresh one would be better I suppose :)

and oh, Hello! :)

message 5: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Omaid wrote: "I think there is a thread similar to this. but having a fresh one would be better I suppose :)

and oh, Hello! :)"

Hello to you too :-) I am sorry if there was already a similar discussion thread. I looked but couldn't seem to find it. It would be great if you or someone else were to provide the link here and then we can continue there only. Since it might create confusion to have two similar threads. But anyway, whatever the moderators decide would be fine with me, thanks! :-)

message 6: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments yes you're right. I can't find it either. it's strange because this is a very basic topic most likely to be on any forum.

message 7: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Omaid wrote: "yes you're right. I can't find it either. it's strange because this is a very basic topic most likely to be on any forum."

Actually, this topic was missing in some of the other groups that I recently joined as well :-) Since I enjoy sharing about my latest reads and like to hear about the books that others are reading, so I couldn't resist initiating this discussion :-)

message 8: by Aasia (new)

Aasia Abdali | 260 comments Hello there Ramla. i m currently reading Sophie's world. its a novel about the history of philosophy. to be more exact a novel about history of western philosophy.

I think i m the slowest reader on earth. so i have been reading it for quite a while. The story up till yet doesnt make ANY sense but the philosophy info is great and very well explained. i will recommend it to anyone who just wants to know a little bit about philosophy.

I learned some interesting things about Plato from this book and i will difinetely want to read Plato further, even philosophy further

message 9: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Aasia wrote: "Hello there Ramla. i m currently reading Sophie's world..."

Hello to you too :-) Thanks for your insights on this book. I think I have heard about it before as well. Looking forward to reading it soon :-)

message 10: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments ahan, I see. I must say 'thank you' for taking the initiative. this will be interesting :) @ramla

The novel I'm reading currently is said to be Chesterton's best work. It's a crime novel, easy going, with a lot of twists! you won't even feel that it's a novel written more than a 100 years ago!

message 11: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Omaid wrote: "ahan, I see. I must say 'thank you' for taking the initiative. this will be interesting :) @ramla

You are welcome :-)

Omaid also wrote: The novel I'm reading currently is said to be Chesterton's best work. It's a crime novel, easy going, with a lot of twists! you won't even feel that it's a novel written more than a 100 years ago! "

Just checked out The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare and have to say that it sounds intriguing. I very much enjoy Golden-Age Mysteries (as well as Cozy Mysteries, Historical Romances, Contemporary Romances and RomComs/Chick-Lits), so even though this book appears to be more of a 'Thriller' than a 'Mystery' but I am interested enough to want to read it :-) Thanks for sharing about it!

message 12: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments I finished reading The man who was Thursday. and I found a masterpiece being perfectly ruined by whatever ending it had. What a disappointment :(

message 13: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Well happy/good endings are very important to me so I don't think that I'll bother reading it. Thanks for your feedback!

message 14: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments my pleasure sister ramla

next one on my currently reading shelf is 'Pride and Prejudice ' by Jane Austen. sorry for not making tags, the mobile app doesn't have that feature.

message 15: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Omaid wrote: "my pleasure sister ramla

next one on my currently reading shelf is 'Pride and Prejudice ' by Jane Austen. sorry for not making tags, the mobile app doesn't have that feature."

Very much enjoyed Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen :-)

I think it was mainly because of my enjoyment of that book that I also managed to find the Contemporary Romantic Comedy Me and Mr. Darcy Me And Mr Darcy by Alexandra Potter a fun read!

message 16: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments By the way, Omaid, have you ever read anything by Agatha Christie? If you like Classics and Mysteries etc then you might enjoy her Hercule Poirot's books. Here are few of my favourites if you are interested:

Lord Edgware Dies Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9) by Agatha Christie
Evil Under the Sun Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #23) by Agatha Christie
Dumb Witness Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot, #16) by Agatha Christie

Hope you enjoy them too, if you get a chance to read them! :-)

message 17: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Finished reading Getting Rid of Bradley Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie by Jennifer Crusie.

My Rating: 3 STARS= Good= Quite Enjoyable= I liked it...!

Now starting Trouble When You Walked In Trouble When You Walked In by Kieran Kramer by Kieran Kramer.

message 18: by Waqar (new)

Waqar Ahmed (waqar144) | 174 comments The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova Very interesting.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke Excellent.

message 19: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments Sister ramla, Thank you for the recommendations! I haven't read agastha, but I'll see if I like one of them and would give it a read in sha Allah.

message 20: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments and yes pride and prejudice is a big hit among readers. i might find me and mr. darcy interesting myself.

message 21: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Omaid wrote: "Sister ramla, Thank you for the recommendations..."

You are welcome :-) Hope you enjoy the books when you get a chance to read them.

message 22: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Omaid wrote: "and yes pride and prejudice is a big hit among readers. i might find me and mr. darcy interesting myself."

Well, I found it an interesting read but if I hadn't previously enjoyed Pride and Prejudice then I would have rated Me and Mr. Darcy 3 stars instead of the 4 that I ended up giving it. But anyway, hope you enjoy both the books, happy reading! :-)

message 23: by Abubakar (new)

Abubakar Mehdi | 76 comments I am currently reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.

message 24: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Finished reading Trouble When You Walked In Trouble When You Walked In by Kieran Kramer by Kieran Kramer.

My Rating: 3 STARS= Good= Quite Enjoyable= I liked it...!

Now starting The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Café The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary Simses by Mary Simses. 

message 25: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Finished reading The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Café The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary Simses by Mary Simses. 

My Rating: 2 STARS= Average= Readable= I found it just ok.

Now starting Head Over Heels Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) by Jill Shalvis by Jill Shalvis.

message 26: by Syeda (new)

Syeda Fatima (phateema) | 113 comments da girl On da train!

message 27: by Maffah (new)

Maffah zee | 22 comments aoa @syeda is it any good?+

message 28: by Adeel (new)

Adeel Hasan (adeelhasan) | 78 comments Listening to Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? these days. Simultaneously I'm reading Beautiful Testing: Leading Professionals Reveal How They Improve Software but I doubt that would interest most people on this forum :) . Also reading a chapter per night of منهاج القاصدين.

message 29: by Syeda (new)

Syeda Fatima (phateema) | 113 comments Maffah wrote: "aoa @syeda is it any good?+"

yes - i enjoyed reading ett!

message 30: by Omaid (new)

Omaid ibn Naimet | 215 comments I have started reading Doctor's Dilemma by Bernard Shaw. 25% comple, so far it's pretty good.

message 31: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Recently read the following books in the Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis: 

--Head Over Heels Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) by Jill Shalvis (My Rating: 2 STARS)*

--Lucky in Love Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) by Jill Shalvis  (My Rating: 3 STARS)*

--It Had to Be You It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7) by Jill Shalvis  (My Rating: 2 STARS)*

--Once in a Lifetime  Once in a Lifetime (Lucky Harbor #9) by Jill Shalvis (My Rating: 3 STARS)*

--It's In His Kiss It's in His Kiss (Lucky Harbor, #10) by Jill Shalvis  (My Rating: 3 STARS)*

*My Rating System On Goodreads:

3 STARS= Good= Quite Enjoyable= I liked it...!
2 STARS= Average= Readable= I found it just ok.

Now starting The Next Always The Next Always (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts by Nora Roberts.

message 32: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Hello everyone, today I came across a previously initiated discussion thread on this topic.

Guess it would be better to switch back to that discussion?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 33: by Wordaholic (new)

Wordaholic (wordaholicme) | 34 comments Reading Magic series (Kate Daniels series) by Ilona Andrews. Loving every book of the series.

message 34: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Hi, I mentioned my recent reads in the following discussion thread:

Debates n Discussions > Books 

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Thanks! :-)

message 35: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Trahaearn | 529 comments hmm i just finished the rephaim series (in one sitting!!)
Shadows (The Rephaim, #1) by Paula Weston
(series includes four books)'and now i am starting Just One Year (Just One Day, #2) by Gayle Forman (book cover is AWESOME!!)
its the second book to just one day....by Gayle Foreman...also i am on and off reading The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten, #2) by Julie Kagawa
and The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan iron traitor sucks and house of hades is too childish...

message 36: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Recently read and enjoyed the following books:

--The Perfect Hope The Perfect Hope (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, #3) by Nora Roberts by Nora Roberts. 

--Falling for Her Fiancé Falling for Her Fiance by Cindi Madsen by Cindi Madsen. 

--The Rescue The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks by Nicholas Sparks. 

--Gift-Wrapped in Her Wedding Dress Gift-Wrapped in Her Wedding Dress by Kandy Shepherd by Kandy Shepherd. 

message 37: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Trahaearn | 529 comments i just finished just one day by gayle foreman and Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier now i am on Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red, #2) by Kerstin Gier
WOW!! I am on fire i read thirteen books this past week!!

message 38: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments WOW, thirteen books in one week, that's great! :-) Congratulations ...and keep it up! :-) Happy Reading! :-)

message 39: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Trahaearn | 529 comments THX a lot Ramla!! i have already exceeded my first challenge to my self so i now have a good idea of how well i can do...

message 40: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments mimi wrote: "THX a lot Ramla!! i have already exceeded my first challenge to my self so i now have a good idea of how well i can do..."

Very happy for you! :-)

message 41: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 47 comments I recently read The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Definitely it is going into my all time favorite list. I gave it 5 stars. Also read Dan Brown's Deception Point. It's a typical Brown page-turner. A good read, but there is a slight logical flaw that soured the experience a little.

Right now I am reading The Chamber by John Grisham.

And I am planning on reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

message 42: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Trahaearn | 529 comments @adeem awesome choice of john grisham and green XD
i just finished WINTER!! Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer YAY!!!! (i was literally dying for this book)
and Angels Twice Descending (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #10) by Cassandra Clare (WOOHOO!!!! tales from the shadowhunter academy finished!!)
and The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh the wrath and the dawn (this book is soooooo amzing i would recommend it to all the romance,YA and fairytale remake lovers out there...its romantic, funny, action filled and unbelievably sad at some places i cried for an hour after this)
and right now i am reading Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) by Shannon Stacey exclusively yours
and blue sapphire Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red, #2) by Kerstin Gier

message 43: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 47 comments Jeez you are a prolific reader. Keep it up!

I'll see if I can find Renee Ahdiehthe. Any other recommendations?

message 44: by Arbaaz (new)

Arbaaz Khan (arbaazkhan1999) | 1592 comments Servant of the bones by anne rice. The most awesome historic horror fiction!

message 45: by Jannat (new)

Jannat | 62 comments i have just finishedPaper Towns by John Green
and now em readingThe Kite Runner: A Portrait of the Marc Forster Film by Khaled Hosseini

message 46: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 47 comments I have read Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. It was a very good book, highly recommended, but he could have been more measured while touting the benefits of NATO's occupation. Maybe when he started writing it was early in the war and things changed later. At least there was nothing negative about Pakistan, if anything it was complementary.

message 47: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 47 comments Just read two of the most depressing books ever.

The purpose of John Grisham is less stressful reading, but alas. Still, The Chamber is a wonderful book. Must read for people who are in favor of death penalty.

I avoide reading anything about the books, because it makes my observations bias. So, I had no idea John Green's The Fault in Our Stars was about cancer victims. It almost made me cry. No book has done that before. But I'm glad I read it. It gives me courage to one day write about my own struggles, a topic I always avoide. My handicaps are many but they are not terminal illnesses.

Thank you for recommending Judith McNaught. I needed that palate cleanser. I read Once and Always, and next up is Something Wonderful

message 48: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments Adeem wrote: "Just read two of the most depressing books ever.

The purpose of John Grisham is less stressful reading, but alas. Still, The Chamber is a wonderful book. Must read for people who are in favor of d..."

@Adeem Glad to know that you are enjoying Judith McNaught's books ...she is one of my favourite authors :-)

I love almost all her books but my favourites are:

Almost Heaven Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3) by Judith McNaught (Historical Romance)

Paradise Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1) by Judith McNaught (Contemporary Romance)

Happy Reading! :-)

message 49: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 431 comments By the way, Judith McNaught also wrote a wonderful Contemporary Romantic Suspense book: Someone to Watch Over Me Someone to Watch Over Me by Judith McNaught .

I heard that this book was adapted even as a Pakistani Drama. I haven't watched it and don't know it's name but I believe that the lead male character was played by Humayun Saeed!

message 50: by Adeem (new)

Adeem Sadiq (adeemsadiq) | 47 comments Yeah, according to wiki Almost Heaven is the final part of a sequel, so I started with Once and Always, then Something Wonderful, and now finally I am going to read Almost Heaven.

I have a thing for sequels, like Rabbit Run series and Lonesome Dove are two of my all time favorite. But I don't think you are going to like them.

« previous 1 3 4 5