Lovers of Paranormal discussion

What to read after HP

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan (danlewis) Hey everyone! I'm new to Goodreads and to this group. One thing I'm certainly not new to is the HP series. I've read the books more times than anyone would deem sane. Now I'm trying to branch out and find some similar work. Perhaps something more mature but still incorporating a magical element. Most recently, I read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and The Magicians series by Lev Grossman. I loved them! Anyone have any other suggestions for a 20-something HP lover who wants something a bit more mature?
Thanks everyone!

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Ronish (lronish) If you want something a bit more mature there is always the change series, which is about a modern day apocalypse of sorts. It has more mature content, but relatively no magic. If you want something spectacularly magically I recommend Holly Black. She wrote a book called Tithe, which is park of a series and its a great book in my opinion. She focuses on faeries. If you are more into dragons and other worlds then Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is also great. She wrote Hawksong, which again is part of a series but I love all of her books. I always feel like I'm transported somewhere else, unfortunately they are a bit thin in comparison to HP.

message 3: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (last edited Sep 08, 2015 09:27PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) | 795 comments Mod
I recommend the following series after Harry Potter:

I see you already read the Pendragon series! If you are looking for YA without too much teenage angst:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan

Inkheart series:

Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke Inkspell, Volume 1 (Inkheart, #2 Part 1 of 2) by Cornelia Funke Inkdeath (Inkheart Trilogy) by Cornelia Funke

If you would like a slightly more mature, high-school oriented series with a bit of romance, but not gag-worthy:

Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead

If you want more of the 'traditional' fantasy and fellowship elements of Harry Potter, only in a larger world:

The Abhorsen Series by Garth Nix

Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix Lirael (Abhorsen, #2) by Garth Nix Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3) by Garth Nix Clariel (Abhorsen, #4) by Garth Nix

More Rick Riordan, only doorstopper-sized fantasy:

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan

Another good one that my son likes:

The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd

Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #1) by Heather Brewer Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2) by Heather Brewer Tenth Grade Bleeds (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #3) by Heather Brewer Eleventh Grade Burns (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #4) by Heather Brewer Twelfth Grade Kills (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #5) by Heather Brewer

All good books! Enjoy...

message 4: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (littlefox0112) jim butcher dresden files series