Girls Only Book Club discussion

Books > Books you had to stop reading and why

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Avery Joy (new)

Avery Joy | 624 comments I thought this topic would be helpful for books we have stopped reading whether it's boring or inappropriate...
I know there are some books I wish I never started!

message 2: by Avery Joy (new)

Avery Joy | 624 comments So recently I started It's Complicated. I was so excited! The writing was amazing and the plot was good! Until it took a quick right turn down romantic lane...it got inappropriate. I stopped mid-chapter so I don't know how detailed it actually got, but I was kinda shocked that this was a Christian book. :(

message 3: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jctha) | 29 comments This was about a year ago, but I had problems with Prized and I couldn't finish it. It was too strange and inappropriate, I'm actually surprised it was promoted for YA rather than adult fiction. It was handled maturely, I guess, but it was too much for me personally.

Also The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline and Find a Stranger, Say Goodbye. I picked these up because I like Lois Lowry but they both either had swearing or other strange content. :(

message 4: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jctha) | 29 comments Oh: Prized is the 2nd book in a series, however the 1st book Birthmarked is clean, and I'd recommend it.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica I am kind of ashamed to say that a few years ago I tried to read Fifty Shades of Grey, I was unaware of what kind of book it was and I stopped reading it when it got "physical", I sure was shocked that the book turned out that way.

Jess (AKA shortstuff) (shortstuff83) A few years ago I couldn't carry on reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time because of the blasphemy and swearing. It was not pleasant.

message 7: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) A year or two ago I had to put down a few books. But actually, just a few days ago I tried reading a book and I couldn't. I read the first chapter and it had so much swearing I couldn't believe it. I stopped reading right then.
Night Sky (Night Sky, #1) by Suzanne Brockmann

message 8: by Firefly (new)

Firefly (fireflys12) | 361 comments I almost stopped reading "The Help"... I ended up finishing it, but there were some swear words and some rather disturbing content that I was just not comfortable with.

message 9: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) That is too bad. I hate it when book that look cool are bad in content and language.

message 10: by Firefly (new)

Firefly (fireflys12) | 361 comments Yeah. And it was worse because I was enjoying the book, and other than those things it was a really good one.

message 11: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yah....

message 12: by Half Note (new)

Half Note | 257 comments i usually put down books that are crude and stupid, all i wonder when i put them away is who would write books like those

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

The only book I'm not sure about ever finishing is Gone with the Wind. It just...bores me in some parts. Sorry, I know it's a classic!

message 14: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) It is the boringest movie ever. I will never read the book.

message 15: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Okay, thanks for telling. Definitely won't read it.

message 16: by mj (new)

mj l (valiantmj) I recently started An Ember in the Ashes. It sounded like an interesting book and I always like the thrill of reading new books because there might be more books in the series to look forward to and there's a good chance that you won't see spoilers all over the internet. However, there was some language (nothing too horrible in my opinion but it was enough that I had reason to be concerned about it getting worse as the book went on). I kept reading but I was a little wary. But then the main character was threatened with rape. Now, it didn't actually happen. It was a threat and nothing more. Not even an explicit threat. However, that's something I'm just really not comfortable with reading about. I read another book in the last month or so that also had the threat of rape but I finished that book because it happened towards the end. This one was in the beginning so I put it down. I was worried that if that was already happening in the first few chapters there was no telling what would happen in the rest of the book. Oh, it was also pretty graphic (violently speaking). And again, my main concern was that it would only get worse farther into the story. Since I hadn't attached myself to the characters or story yet I was able to stop reading pretty easily. I hate it when I've become attached but then something happens that makes me not want to keep reading.

message 17: by mj (new)

mj l (valiantmj) Samantha wrote: "Mental note taken; thanks for the warning!"

You're welcome!

message 18: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Thank for telling us.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2016 07:59PM) (new)

I was reading this book called After the Snow, and at first it seemed really promising- a tribal spin on dystopia. But the blurb seemed to be more captivating than the first few chapters. It's as if I was holding a nice big balloon, and the more I tried to inspect the balloon, the more it deflated. And, the author uses broken English because Willo (the main character) and his family live in the frozen wilderness and he never went to school. Which would be totally fine if I could understand what's going on. I've read books with different dialects, and I remember enjoying all of them and finding it especially intresting. But I'm just not feeling this one. Maybe I'll get bored and pick it up later? :-P

message 20: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Hmm...interesting...

message 21: by K.L (new)

K.L (kittenscupoftea) Years ago (2011-2012) I attempted to read The Hunger Games Trilogy. (Because of all the hype from the movies and all my friends were reading and loving the series) I read the first one and convinced myself I loved it, to be cool and like everyone else. Halfway through the second, I started to get depressed and anxious about it. So my mom promptly put an end to that and ever since I've hated everything about The Hunger Games. (Even to the extent that I get a sick feeling in my stomach when I listen to the songs I was listening to at the time)

message 22: by Chaya & Cinnamon (last edited Mar 31, 2016 11:55PM) (new)

Chaya & Cinnamon (chayacinnamon) Karissa wrote: "Years ago (2011-2012) I attempted to read The Hunger Games Trilogy. (Because of all the hype from the movies and all my friends were reading and loving the series) I read the first one and convinced myself I loved it, to be cool and like everyone else. Halfway through the second, I started to get depressed and anxious about it. So my mom promptly put an end to that and ever since I've hated everything about The Hunger Games. (Even to the extent that I get a sick feeling in my stomach when I listen to the songs I was listening to at the time) "

I think they try to make us as readers think that everyone's reading certain books, but it's just not true. I definitely don't want to read them - even more so after reading your warning, Karissa. If a book's depressing, I just don't need that. I was turned off from The Hunger Games because, besides that it seems like a gladiator-type thing, one of the people talking it up was a person who liked some warped things.

Chaya

message 23: by K.L (new)

K.L (kittenscupoftea) I swear sometimes people say they like something just because they think everyone else likes it and don't want to be left out. (Which is actually true with fads besides books too.) This whole thing with dystopian books has gotten so crazy! Why would you want to read about such horrible and depressing subjects? Now everyone is writing about it. As you said, it's a little bit warped.

message 24: by Dami (new)

Dami | 45 comments The Color Purple. It was really inappropriate

message 25: by Amber (new)

Lady Guinevere Amber (queenladyguinevere) | 9 comments Karissa wrote: "I swear sometimes people say they like something just because they think everyone else likes it and don't want to be left out. (Which is actually true with fads besides books too.) This whole thing..."

I agree!

message 26: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) I really like Hunger Games but, that is just my opinion. I do understand, though, why some people wouldn't like it.

message 27: by Amber (new)

Lady Guinevere Amber (queenladyguinevere) | 9 comments I had to stop reading the Hobit. I don't know why I didn't like it. I just..... I don't know. It didn't resonate with me I guess. It was boring. Maybe it was because I had been forced to read it for school. It seemed the most interesting on the list at the time. I cringed through it all practically. I don't even really remember it. I had to keep on rereading different parts because I couldn't focus on it.

message 28: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Actually, I can relate to that! I started it and got half way through it and then had to stop. I do agree that it was dry. But after I watched the movie, I got into it and read it in a day. It just may take a couple tries.

message 29: by K.L (new)

K.L (kittenscupoftea) Yeah, I was not at all wild over The Hobbit. It's a bit...do I want to say corny? I think Lord of the Rings is a WAY better series to read. Personally though, I was very disappointed in the Hobbit movie. (That's the problem of reading the book before watching the movie)

message 30: by Firefly (new)

Firefly (fireflys12) | 361 comments Karissa wrote: "I swear sometimes people say they like something just because they think everyone else likes it and don't want to be left out. (Which is actually true with fads besides books too.) This whole thing..."

One might argue that the point of the book is not the "depressing and horrible subjects" - it's the hope you can find even through terrible trials. I can understand where you're coming from though - if that sort of stuff (violence, etc.) bothers you, no one should pressure you to read a book that has that sort of thing in it.
But you know, even the Bible has violence in it. Not meaningless, of course, but it's there. There's a certain passage in Judges that I might actually say is more gruesome than the entire Hunger Games. It's terrible and barbaric and just plain gross. It's meant to convey to us the depravity of Israel at that time.
So... I can't remember where I was going with this, so I'll just end awkwardly.

message 31: by Amber (new)

Lady Guinevere Amber (queenladyguinevere) | 9 comments Haley(fabulous/crazy/Daughter of the King of Kings) wrote: "Actually, I can relate to that! I started it and got half way through it and then had to stop. I do agree that it was dry. But after I watched the movie, I got into it and read it in a day. It just..."

Exactly!! It was so dry to me I needed eye drops because every time i looked at the pages my eyes became dry as the Sahara desert! LOL okay it wasn't that bad as I just now said. But yeah it was dry.

I couldn't grasp the story. You know?

I am an avid reader and loose myself in many books. But I couldn't with this. I actually stopped reading for awhile after that before I picked up another book.

message 32: by Amber (new)

Lady Guinevere Amber (queenladyguinevere) | 9 comments Karissa wrote: "Yeah, I was not at all wild over The Hobbit. It's a bit...do I want to say corny? I think Lord of the Rings is a WAY better series to read. Personally though, I was very disappointed in the Hobbit ..."

The movie seemed like it would be better than the books.

I never watched or read Lord of the Rings. I heard it was very good!

Yeah! I always have that problem with movies and books! Like Twilight. And especially Vampire Academy!! They really did not do it a justice!

message 33: by K.L (new)

K.L (kittenscupoftea) @Firefly Oh, no I must not have made myself clear. It's not the violence that bothered me. Violence doesn't bother me all that much. The books don't actually have hardly any in them. Many books I read, and movies I watch, have more violence in them.

I'm not entirely sure what made me so depressed whilst reading them, but it wasn't really the violence. I think it's just the whole idea of kids being forced to kill each other for sport or whatever. (It's like the gladiators but much worse) I mean, God tells us to look at things that are lovely and pure, right? And I just don't think the Hunger Games are something that is very pure and uplifting. (I'm not judging you or telling you that you shouldn't like it. It's not /that/ bad. It's totally your choice if you like it.)
And I just don't see where the "hope" is. I mean, even when they win I just kinda feel like they still lost. (I did look at the ending lol)

And oh yeah. The Bible surely does have some disturbing/gross parts. :) Eeeeh!!!

message 34: by K.L (new)

K.L (kittenscupoftea) @Amanda the only movie to book I am actually okay with is the 1995 Pride and Prejudice. :D Which is a six hour mini-series that is word for word to the book!

message 35: by Amber (new)

Lady Guinevere Amber (queenladyguinevere) | 9 comments Karissa wrote: "@Amanda the only movie to book I am actually okay with is the 1995 Pride and Prejudice. :D Which is a six hour mini-series that is word for word to the book!"

I need to check that out!

message 36: by Firefly (new)

Firefly (fireflys12) | 361 comments Karissa wrote: "@Firefly Oh, no I must not have made myself clear. It's not the violence that bothered me. Violence doesn't bother me all that much. The books don't actually have hardly any in them. Many books I r..."

I totally understand. I have actually never read the Hunger Games :P I might, but I might not. I'm not bothered by a violence in say, a book about war, but I can see what you mean about the whole... killing for sport part of it.

message 37: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yeah, Firefly, i am the same. But, Hunger Games is quite good!