2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

. Week 32: Trilogy (1) > Week 32: Progress Post

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz, Mood Minion (last edited Aug 10, 2015 09:04AM) (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
We are halfway done with Week 32! You just started your trilogy.

This discussion thread is solely for your progress. (Book discussions go in individual threads.)

Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre?

What is the title of the 1st book?

Did you enjoy the book?

Do you typically prefer series or standalones?

message 2: by Jean (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 115 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May It is a murder mystery set in Scotland.

What is the title of the 1st book? The Blackhouse

Did you enjoy the book? Yes very much.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? I enjoy series (especially mysteries) that have the same characters from book to book. As far as trilogies, I'm finding that it's annoying to me when the end of one of the books is obviously a lead-in to the next book and doesn't really wrap things up from the previous book. In the case of the Lewis Trilogy that didn't happen. Each book in this series could stand alone and everything was resolved with a very few exceptions. But on the other hand I wouldn't call this a true trilogy either. I say that because there is plenty of room for another installment. Which I would read because I enjoyed these three. But when is a trilogy really a trilogy instead of just the first three books in a series?

message 3: by Silvia (last edited Aug 12, 2015 01:20AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu and it's classified as YA dystopia

What is the title of the 1st book? Legend

Did you enjoy the book? Yes, very much, especially the first part. I thought it was full of surprises... the second part I thought it was a little cliché, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? I enjoy series. When you like a character is nice to know what happen later. It's nice to see how the characters grow or have new adventures, however I don't like if the series it's too long, three, five, even seven volume, it's Ok, but series of ten or more volumes... that's too much. I also enjoy stand-alone, but I would say I prefer series.

message 4: by Andreea (last edited Aug 20, 2015 12:35PM) (new)

Andreea | 23 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre?
The Maze Runner by James Dashner and it's distopic

The Maze Runner

Did you enjoy the book?
Yes, it was good

It depends, but I like both.

message 5: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 115 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? Divergent Triology by Veronica Roth and its distopic.

What is the title of the 1st book? Divergent

Did you enjoy the book? I did. It took me a while to get into it, but it left me excited for book 2.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? Depends.

message 6: by Keri (last edited Aug 11, 2015 07:09AM) (new)

Keri  | 92 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? The Wayward Pines Trilogy by Blake Crouch which I would say is a mystery/suspense

What is the title of the 1st book? Pines

Did you enjoy the book? So far yes I have really enjoyed it. Very strange, almost like watching a Twilight Zone episode!

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? I really enjoy both equally. I have quite a few series I love to read but like to throw in standalones too for a change of pace.

message 7: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? I read The Selection trilogy by Kiera Cass. I guess it would be dystopian but romance is a large piece.

What is the title of the 1st book? The Selection

Did you enjoy the book? I did. It was a nice, relaxing week, as it's a pretty easy read. The Bachelor is a bit of a guilty pleasure me so it was fun to read a mix of that and a dystopian.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? I like long books or series but series are nice because you get the satisfaction of finishing a book more often and you can take breaks here and there. I need to stop starting so many series though :p

message 8: by Katherine (last edited Aug 12, 2015 10:55AM) (new)

Katherine Decker Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? I too am reading The Lewis Trilogy, by Peter May.

What is the title of the 1st book? The Blackhouse

Did you enjoy the book? Just started it by enjoying so far.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? I am a huge series fan and prefer them, however a standalone is good every once and awhile.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 225 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? Cheating and reading the first three books in a series. The genre is fantasy.

The Stolen Throne

Did you enjoy the book?
I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it. I liked the characters (even if the story was a little cliched), and I was impressed with the quality. It wasn't amazing, but it was a better written game novel than others I have read.

Generally series. :)

message 10: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? I'm reading the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson. It's labeled as thriller/mystery/crime here at GR.

What is the title of the 1st book? The first book was translated to english as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but I think the original title that translates to "Men who Hate Women" fits the book much better.

Did you enjoy the book? Yes, I really did!

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? Standalones without a doubt.

message 11: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? I'm reading Riyria Revelations (6 books in 3 omnibus). It's fantasy.

What is the title of the 1st book? Theft of Swords

Did you enjoy the book? Yes, the writing is pleasant and I love the characters. The 1st book was the funniest, the 2nd had the best atmosphere.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? I read mostly series, it's nice to follow characters/worlds in several books and I'm quickly bored when there are too many descriptions and explanations, so after the 1st book, the read is usually smoother for me.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 186 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre?
Alaskan Royal Family by MaryJanice Davidson. On here its listed as Romance/ humor/ womens fiction.

The Royal Treatment

Did you enjoy the book?
Yep I sure did.

On the whole I read mostly series and I prefer it that way.

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre?
His Dark Materials YA fantasy?

The Golden Compass

Did you enjoy the book?
Yes, it was pretty good. My son was born when I was half way through it and I enjoyed reading some out loud to him :)

Usually standalones. I don't mind trilogies or short series, but I hate ones that go on forever...

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookworm_booklover) | 170 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre?

The Ruby Red Trilogy, a YA Sci-fi/Paranormal

Ruby Red

Did you enjoy the book?

I am currently in the process of reading/listening to it. The start was a little slow for me, but it's picking up nicely!

I like a mix but I think I like series more. Just because with a series the story doesn't stop right away. You can continue to love your favourite characters and places for longer. Standalones are terrible for book hangovers...

message 15: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? His Dark Materials - YA Fantasy.

What is the title of the 1st book? The Golden Compass

Did you enjoy the book? It was ok. I didn't find it particularly compelling.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? Some of my very favourite books are from a series - Harry Potter, Discworld, plus my guilty pleasure Southern Vampire Mysteries. I don't think I could choose - I love stand-alone books, but there's just something about revisiting beloved characters & worlds that is so appealing.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 122 comments Which trilogy are you reading and what is its genre? Dragonlance: Chronicles - Fantasy

What is the title of the 1st book? Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Did you enjoy the book? It was ok. I think my friend hyped it up too much for me.

Do you typically prefer series or standalones? I don't really have a preference, but I do hate having to wait a long time in between series.