Chat, Eat, and Read discussion

Movie Discussions-Part 1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 158 (158 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Aug 07, 2015 06:51PM) (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
Discuss current movies you have watched or want to see. I thought his would be a great addition to the book chat. Plus, a lot of books get made into movies.

message 2: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
I really want to see Ricki and the Flash! It's playing one day this week, but next week it's playing a lot more. I find Meryl Streep such a great actress, but I don't know if I'd say the rockstar style suits her so much!Regardless, I think it's going to be a pretty good movie! Here's the synopsis:

Streep stars as Ricki Rendazzo, a guitar heroine who made a world of mistakes as she followed her dreams of rock-and-roll stardom. Returning home, Ricki gets a shot at redemption and a chance to make things right as she faces the music with her family. Streep stars opposite her real-life daughter Mamie Gummer; Rick Springfield, portraying a Flash member in love with Ricki; Kevin Kline as Ricki's ex-husband; and Audra McDonald as Kline's new wife.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

I want to see it too! I might see it this weekend. I love most of Diablo Cody's movies. It looked looks so good.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Rick Springfield!!!!!

message 5: by Lilith (new)

I know! And he was on General Hospital for a while...don't know if he still is...haven't watched it in a while.

message 6: by Lilith (new)

When I frst saw the trailer for Ricki and the Flash, I thought that the daughter had an uncanny resemblance to Helent Hunt and I was 100% sure she was her daughter because they look SO much alike!....until I read that she's actually Meryl Streep's biological daughter! haha!

message 7: by Deborah (last edited Aug 07, 2015 06:47PM) (new)

Okay Irrational Man was meh. I mean it was okay. I read a review where it was confusing because it seemed like it was a comedy then a drama. Emma Stone and Joaquin Phoenix were really good, but I guess I am not a Woody Allen fan.

After posting this I went back and read some reviews which I didn't see too many of. Roger Ebert gave it bad reviews and Rolling Stone said it was Woody Allen's worst move to date.

Geez. I wouldn't say the worst. It has some good points and if you love Joaquin as a mysterious drunk then it is worth seeing.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "I know! And he was on General Hospital for a while...don't know if he still is...haven't watched it in a while."

I used to love Rick Springfield in the 80's. He was quite the heartthrob back in the early 80's. Him and John Stamos were both on General Hospital and I think that is when the show peaked in my teen world.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "I really want to see Ricki and the Flash! It's playing one day this week, but next week it's playing a lot more. I find Meryl Streep such a great actress, but I don't know if I'd say the rockstar s..."
Let's go see it tomorrow. Will a matinee work????

message 10: by Lilith (new)

DEAL!

message 11: by Lilith (new)

Hmmm...I had a feeling about irrational man...I didn't get the impression there was too much hype about it...I don't remember John Stamos on general hospital. before Full house I guess?? I DO remember Rcki Martin on it! He played a character named Miguel and he had really long hair. I can't believe I remember! I don't think I was even 10 years old!

message 12: by Zarina (new)

Zarina Silverman I recently went to see Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, which was fantastic. I do believe it was adapted from a book!

I could totally see Meryl Streep as a faded rocker chick!

message 13: by Deborah (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:31AM) (new)

I loved Me Earl and the Dying girl. Yes, it was adapted from a book which is in my stack of unread books.

Ricki and the Flash was so good. No spoilers, but worth seeing. One of my favorite Diablo Cody movies.

message 14: by Lilith (new)

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl - 2 thumbs up!

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Maybe one day we can read the book and discuss the similarities. I liked how it didn't feel like a modern movie, but had modern things like MacBooks and cell phones.

message 16: by Lilith (new)

BAH I don't want to read the book! I feel like I can read a book and then watch the movie based on it afterwards. But I don't like watching the movie, then reading the book.

message 17: by Deborah (new)

I want to see the new Jason Siegel movie End Of The Tour and Grandma with Lily Tomlin. So many good movies coming out.

message 18: by Lilith (new)

Oh! I want to see Grandma too!!! That looks so good!

message 19: by Lilith (last edited Aug 12, 2015 03:05PM) (new)

So I went to see Vacation yesterday, but the dopey usher told us the wrong room to go to. So by the end of all the trailers, all of a sudden Meryl Streep pops up on the screen and it turns out, WELL, I guess we're watching Ricki and the Flash, which is okay with me because I wanted to see it anyways.

I really liked it! The acting was good. I liked the fact that Meryl Streep's real life daughter played her on-screen daughter. That was pretty neat. I didn't like how throughout the whole movie she had the exact same hairstyle except when she was sleeping. And when she went to her son's wedding, she wore a long dress wearing the same rocker hair style AGAIN AND a leather jacket!! on top of the dress! Come on now! Nonetheless, pretty good movie. I'd give it an 8 on 10.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "So I went to see Vacation yesterday, but the dopey usher told us the wrong room to go to. So by the end of all the trailers, all of a sudden Meryl Streep pops up on the screen and it turns out, WEL..."

Ha I forgot about her hairstyle. Kevin Kline does a good job in the movie too. You almost want them to be a family again. The chemistry with her daughter was so good too onscreen. I am glad you enjoyed it.

message 21: by Lilith (new)

just saw Harold and Maude. it was really good! it's on Netflix if you're interested!

message 22: by Deborah (new)

One of my all time favorite movies! I have the DVD!

message 23: by Deborah (new)

I just saw the End Of The Tour. Jason Segel is so amazing. It took place in Minneapolis where I spent a few years after I graduated college. Also, Meryl Streep's daughter has a small part along with the mom from Girls. I loved the dynamics between Jason Segel and the guy from Rolling Stones. It makes the author appear very human. It sucks because he committed suicide in 2008. I have never read any of his books. The one he is promoting in the movie is over 1000 pages. I can't even imagine reading after reading Wally's book. Joan Cusack also has a bit part. When it makes it to Montreal you must see it.

message 24: by Lilith (new)

I saw The Gift today. I liked it actually! It WAS a little cliché, as I expected, but aside from that, the story was well done. As an actor, I was never sure of Jason Bateman, but the more I see him in movies, the more I realize, actually he's pretty good! The ending lines were very good, the way the antagonist turned it around on the protaongist. (I'll say no more in case you see it.) But there was something inconclusive in the end which bothered me slightly. And not inconclusive in a well-done way that leaves the ending up to your imagination, but in a way where it didn't really need to be...did nothing to enhance the film. But then again, I'm very critical of film endings.

message 25: by Deborah (new)

It seems like I saw previews months ago for the gift. Not sure if I am going to see it. I am not a fan of suspense movies. Jason has been around a long time. I used to watch him in the 80's on Silver Spoons.

message 26: by Deborah (new)

Deborah wrote: "I just saw the End Of The Tour. Jason Segel is so amazing. It took place in Minneapolis where I spent a few years after I graduated college. Also, Meryl Streep's daughter has a small part along..."
Ha so I told my supervisor I saw this movie and I sort of figured he was a David Foster Wallace fan and it turns out he is. So the book the movie is about is over 1000 pages and is about his book tour. My sup said it is a commitment. See I can see him carrying the book around. I told him I don't read books no more than 600 pages.

message 27: by Lilith (new)

hahaha!

message 28: by Lilith (new)

just got "Boulevard" on dvd. looks like it's Robin Williams' last movie. it didn't even make it to theaters! It's about a devoted husband in a marriage of convenience who is forced to confront his secret life. Hmmm looks interesting!

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Let me know how it is.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

I saw the review for Boulevard. It looks really good I am going to have to download it.

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Lilith the movie Boulevard looks amazing. I was on my phone earlier. Why didn't you say it was amazing and I won't be your friend if you don't watch it. I am jealous you got an early copy of it.

I might go see American Ultra this weekend. I am tempted to The End Of The Tour for the third time. I have a lot of free time and nothing to do.

message 32: by Deborah (new)

So you need to get to 23 min on this video. Jason Segel talks about his book club for Infinite Jest (the movie is based around this book tour). They read a 100 pages a week then discussed it. I sort of like that concept. Maybe if we read a chapter at at time then discuss it. I mean this is a 1000 page book, plus footnotes. I like the idea for the books that we read. Not sure how we can organize it. Lilith you being the VP can set this up? If you so choose.

Anyway, this is a good clip regarding The End Of The Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xslLd...

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah wrote: "I just saw the End Of The Tour. Jason Segel is so amazing. It took place in Minneapolis where I spent a few years after I graduated college. Also, Meryl Streep's daughter has a small part along..."

Okay sort of creepy. I always thought David Foster Wallace seemed familiar to me. He committed suicide on September 12th, 2008. My mom died the the day after. I know it is sort of morbid, but now it makes sense why I was so interested in the movie.

message 34: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "BAH I don't want to read the book! I feel like I can read a book and then watch the movie based on it afterwards. But I don't like watching the movie, then reading the book."

In the book Greg Gaines is a bit overweight,

message 35: by Lilith (new)

Boulevard - bah!!! very good acting, but very slow paced and not a lot happened from beginning to end

message 36: by Deborah (new)

Well then......

message 37: by Lilith (new)

ACTUALLY...don't let my opinion deter you! I want you to see it! And I want to know your opinion! Maybe it's just me...I dunno...

message 38: by Lilith (new)

Hmmm...I think it's a good idea what you said about Infinite Jest...I think reading a chapter at a time and then discussing it together is a very good idea, especially it being so long! I would be honoured to organize it, thank you! I think after this chunk of books, we'll add one more chunk, and then add Infinite Jest, and not add anything after that...just so we're not pressured and we can give our undivided attention to it!

message 39: by Lilith (last edited Aug 24, 2015 03:42PM) (new)

I saw on wiki that he battled with depression for over 20 years. He left a 2-page suicide note. It's so sad. Just goes to show you, even someone who has so much going for them can still suffer from mental illness. He seemed to have had quite an active life.

message 40: by Deborah (new)

You want to read Infinite Jest? Awesome! If we have questions I can ask my supervisor when we start to read it.

message 41: by Deborah (new)

In the movie DFW discourages the Rolling Stone guy from wishing for what he had. He covered up his depression from others from what I can tell. It was so sad he hadn't been married for very long. He loved his dogs.

message 42: by Lilith (new)

I do...but I don't feel like I'm not 100% sure and I don't feel like I'm quite ready yet. I really haven't researched it at all and I really don't know anything about it! If I'm not ready or optimistic enough, then please don't hold back, and read it without me

message 43: by Lilith (new)

What do you mean he discourages the Rolling Stone guy from wishing what he had? You mean his fame and everything?

message 44: by Deborah (new)

No I will wait for you. It will be fun. It takes place at university and rehab center. DFW was pretty brilliant.

message 45: by Deborah (new)

Yup his fame and recognition.

message 46: by Lilith (new)

What the hell! I just searched for the movie and I can't see it playing anywhere here!! now OR any time soon. ??? I might have to have it downloaded when it's available. That really sucks =S

message 47: by Deborah (new)

Lilith wrote: "What the hell! I just searched for the movie and I can't see it playing anywhere here!! now OR any time soon. ??? I might have to have it downloaded when it's available. That really sucks =S"

You know it is available for preorder on iTunes so I am sure you will be able to download it soon. It was so good. Huge confession I saw it three times. Jason Segel is just so amazing as DFW. That is odd you haven't had it yet in your city since you seem to get movies before we do. Maybe you friend can get an advance download.

message 48: by Lilith (new)

I just saw the trailer again. I REALLY REALLY want to see it! :( I must find it SOON! Jason Seigel looks very much like David Foster Wallace in his wiki pic.

message 49: by Lilith (new)

Here's the thing that's weird though...I just checked. Then I checked again to make extra sure I didn't miss it, because I SWEAR I remember seeing it already playing here, and I remember the movie poster clearly. So weird. I think I'm losing my mind.

message 50: by Deborah (new)

I don't think it did really well at the box office to be honest. Eveyrtime I went the theatre was less then 20% full. It should be on video soon. And it may have been in your theatre only a week or two since it didn't do very well. They didn't have a big budget

« previous 1 3 4