A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns discussion

Have you read a book that made you cry? If yes, then which one?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Apurva Jain for me it was - A Thousand Splendid Suns . i literally cried buckets. such a beautiful book about human emotions in the times we live in.

Hanna The Kite Runner by the same author. I don't know if I ever cried so much bc of a book.

Sonia Hernandez I cried for his third book, And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini .

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

BUtterfield 8

Unexpectedly, without warning, sobbed for I don't know how long.

Cassandra I cried at a thousand splendid suns. And the Kite Runner. Khaled Hosseini knows how to tug at the heart strings.

The Harry Potter series shattered my heart into a thousand pieces. I will never forgive JK Rowling.

The little prince.

Where the red fern grows.

Angela Favorite book!

message 7: by Line (new)

Line The Bronze Horseman and The Bridges of Madison County.

Lynette The Bronze Horseman series - was still crying an hour after I put the last book down.
The Chameleon -D.S Mitchell - superb tear jerker.

I loved A Thousand splendid suns, but it didn't move me like these.

Darica The kite runner, Clan of the cave bears, and The bone tree made me cry too. Sure there's more but when you do it in public and people start moving away from you in the doctor's office you really remember it. The looks like I was going to go postal made me LMAO. Then I even had more people moving away from me. What? GOOD Books do not move everyone?

message 10: by Beate (new) - added it

Beate Matvejeva The last two books that made me cry was "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Although the narrator of the book keeps telling you what is gonna happen, I still cried..and a lot.
After this one, the next book that made me cry(the most recent one) was "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. But this one was more "shed a few tears" as where "TBT" was more "cry me a river" :D

Archana Purohit Mill on the Floss..also Love Story but back when I was a teenager and emotionally more vulnerable..

Aleena Layan The only book that made me cry was the kite runner.I never cried for any character more then i cried for hassan..

message 13: by Inga (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inga For me books by Adichie - Half of a yellow sun and Americanah

message 14: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg Ellen wrote: "BUtterfield 8

Unexpectedly, without warning, sobbed for I don't know how long."
Ellen, I know what you mean, sometimes I guess the tears well up and there you go.
I'm reading Ann Patchett's "Run" now and have shed tears, about a hundred pages in. Recently, "The Art of Fielding" induced an afternoon of tears. And yes, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" was achingly beautiful. But I've seen the film "Mama Mia" at least a dozen times, and I cry every time at the wedding.

Beverly Definitely Where the Red Fern Grows! I was reading it with my boys for school and I had to grab the tissue box!
Trying to remember which book it was most recently. If it comes to mind, I will update my response.

Sadia Kanwal The Book Thief, And the Mountains Echoed, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Looking for Alaska, The Fault in Our Stars,A Farewell to Arms

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Nicholl White is the coldest colour.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

This book made me cry! Luna by Julie Anne Peters made me cry. Every Katherine Paterson book I've ever read (Bridge to Terabithia, The Great Gilly Hopkins, Jacob Have I loved), The Mysteries of Pittsburgh. Books tend to make me feel...A LOT.

Barbara Stones from the River--I was sitting on the bus, and was so embarrassed.
Lonesome Dove. Wow.

message 20: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Beate wrote: "The last two books that made me cry was "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Although the narrator of the book keeps telling you what is gonna happen, I still cried..and a lot.
After this one, the ne..."

I'm with ya The Book Thief...oh the tenderness & love. I sobbed.

Rimsha Ali i dont usually cry when i read a book, but recently i've been touched by "we are called to rise" and "everything i never told you"

message 22: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg Does crying cause you lost four hours of your life count?

message 23: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya I think it was ridiculously depressing.

Zehra ı don't remember any other books that made me cry as much as this one and also the film was good
My Sister's Keeper

Muhammad Afzaal Yeah many times .Kite Runner,Thousand splendid suns and urdu books like Amar bail ,Peer e kamil both by Umera Ahmad and Bachpan ka december by Hashim nadeem

Zehra now ı m reading Lemon Tree and many times ı have to keep my tears not to running down my face. yeah you are right so many more

message 27: by Ink (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ink We were liars is a bath of tears, it's shocking and so so deep.
I haven't read most of the books you're talking about, except for Hosseini

Zehra Me Before You ı firmly recomend this book. an outstanding book By Jojo Moyes and also it is turning into a movie coming out.

Darica Greg wrote: "Does crying cause you lost four hours of your life count?"

LMAO! Thank -you I needed a good laugh. Even if I don't agree with your sentiment. Being a reader I do know what you mean. I'm still chuckling.

Carrie Sadia wrote: "The Book Thief, And the Mountains Echoed, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Looking for Alaska, The Fault in Our Stars,A Farewell to Arms"

The Kite Runner!! It wiped me out. I was so heart broken and felt so much love for Hassan. One of my favorite books ever!

message 31: by Ms. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ms. Anderson A couple books have wreaked me. The Idiot, by Fyodor, made me miserable, The Epic of Gilgamesh made me shed tons of tears. Under Heaven, a book that took me months to read, destroyed me.

message 32: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Schoolcraft It took me years to write my debut story Alice Had a Palace. I cried for years while completing this book. My love for my dear mother Alice, who has since passed away, made me cry a tsunami of tears. Of course it was personal for me. I guarantee it will make you cry too!! I would be so honored if you would read it. Thank you, Brenda Rae Schoolcraft....p.s. 2.99 on Amazon, e-book

Beverly I just finished Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper - and as confusing as it was at times, there were moments when I was deeply touched, and my eyes filled with tears that I had to choke down.

message 34: by Marsha (last edited Nov 16, 2015 02:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marsha Hartung 1.'The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse' by Louise Erdrich, when Mary Kashpaw buries Father Damien in the lake.

2.'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver..Book 7, The Eyes In The Trees.

3.'A Prayer for Owen Meany' by John Irving...last chapter.

4.'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed, when Cheryl decides her old horse must be put down.

5.'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold, when Holiday, the dog, runs to join Susie Salmon in 'pre-heaven'.

6.'The Tsar of Love and Techno' by Anthony Marra, a book with tons of humor, but also incredibly sad... when the young Russian brothers, Kolya and Alexei, play 'cosmonaut', when Vladimir finally sees his father's face, and the last chapter entitled 'The End'.

7. Anything by Khaled Hosseini.

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Schoolcraft As a writer, if you can evoke emotion in your reader, you are doing a good job. Any book that moves you is well written. To care about the characters and get involved in their lives.

Zehra Brenda wrote: "As a writer, if you can evoke emotion in your reader, you are doing a good job. Any book that moves you is well written. To care about the characters and get involved in their lives."

you are absolutely right

message 37: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Schoolcraft Thank you Zehra. By the way, your name is beautiful!

Zehra Brenda wrote: "Thank you Zehra. By the way, your name is beautiful!"

thank you ı love my name, too. it means 'purity, as shine as a moon, a person who has a beautiful face'. it is originaly an Arabic name.

Sharnon A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Fault in Our Stars, The Diary of a Young Girl

message 40: by Mia (new)

Mia Treland Cried today when I read All The Bright Places

message 41: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Schoolcraft I knew it was Arabic. The meaning of your name, makes it even more beautiful! Have a wonderful day!!

Zehra Brenda wrote: "I knew it was Arabic. The meaning of your name, makes it even more beautiful! Have a wonderful day!!"

thank you Brenda. wish you the same. i m from Turkey and wanna learn your country? England?

message 43: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Schoolcraft Hi Zehra. I live in beautiful British Columbia, in Canada. I am happy to have a friend in Turkey. So exciting to talk to you, way across the world. Have a wonderful day!

message 44: by Rut (last edited Nov 18, 2015 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rut I cried with a Thousand Splendid suns. There must be other good books that have also made me cry. For example, I just finished Black Beauty, since I had never read it, not as a child, I must confess I had to hold the tears *SPOILER ALERT* when Ginger died and when Black Beauty thought he was going to die to. For a minute I believed that would happened, and when the ending turns out happily I was on the bridge of crying again, only for a different kind of emotion :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I have cried during many books, Harry Potter, The Book Thief, Ruin and Rising, All The Bright Places, The Hunger Games, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and so many more. But the book which has truly moved me and made me cry during the entire second half of it almost non-stop has been Clockwork Princess.

message 46: by Brenda (last edited Nov 28, 2015 01:29PM) (new)

Brenda Schoolcraft A real life story, Alice Had a Palace. You will grow to love Alice, as her story unfold before your eyes. You will be shattered! A 258,000 word epic story to keep you reading way past your bedtime. Never a dull moment, you will be spellbound by this tale of real life characters who suffer needlessly at the hands of the very ones, that profess to love them. Available on Amazon, 2.99. The best 2.99 you can ever spend. If you don't agree with me, I will personally refund your money. I am appealing to my new friends to read my story. A hidden gem in a sea of jewels. Discover, Alice Had a Palace. Happy to engage my readers, love Brenda.

Mayor McCheese Goldfinch was so stupid I cried that I had spent $20.00 to buy the book at the airport kiosk before my trip.

message 48: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Schoolcraft Too funny. I know the feeling. If I buy a book that sucks, I generally throw it across the room, then put it in a bag to take to Sally. It is truly a disappointment, enough to make you cry. Mayor, you made me laugh hard. Thank you.

Maria Robin Hobbs's Rainwild Chronicles had me blubbering like a baby.

Shannon The Kite Runner and The Nightingale (that one had me crying so hard that I had to stop reading a few times).

« previous 1