Start by marking “Full Circle” as Want to Read:
Full Circle

Full Circle

Eight years after the 9/11 attacks, Samia-Al-Sayyid an Iraqi immigrant is living a quiet life in New York City after she fled her home to avoid imminent death.

She works hard for her cold, heartless, high-strung boss, loves her seventeen-years-old-son, and cherishes the close friendship she has formed with her best friend Susan.

Nothing can go wrong, or so she thinks – unti
Kindle Edition, 1st, 314 pages
Published December 24th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Full Circle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Circle

Start your review of Full Circle
Luffy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read books like this. If you have been following the news this past decade, you'll be a bit familiar with the contents of this book. I began reading and was relieved that the syntax was not a barrier for me.

I could read the book easily. It's about people that live in the USA. One of them is Samia, who is raising her son (misbegotten through a rape by an uncle back in Iraq) and struggling with poverty. There's Samia's employer, Melissa, who is a tyrant in her own right. But she ha
Paul Falk
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
Author Regina Timothy painted a depressing portrait of a divided family. When the tragedies of life had taken the main protagonist to the bottom, I mean rock bottom, climbing back up had proven to be insurmountable. Everyone and everything seemed to be dead set against her.

Samia had been raped by her father's brother, Uncle Kadin. Her brothers would not rally to her defense. Worse yet, they were compelled to kill her for bringing dishonor before her family. It's difficult to imagine that some in
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
*** Note: I received review copy of this book from the author, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to author for giving me a chance to read this book. ***

4.5 Stars

Full Circle is contemporary fiction, a story of three women whose life was changed by the crucial period of 9/11 attack and war of US with Iraq. As blurb said this story is truly about friendship, family, love, hope and moreover gives the different perspective towards life, people and world. It highly speaks about compassion,
Laura Sandonato
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Please note that I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

From the prologue, which takes us inside the collapsing World Trade Center on 9/11, to the end, Full Circle by Regina Timothy lays bare many of the political and social issues the United States has been grappling with since before the 9/11 attacks. Despite its seriousness, Full Circle reads like a television drama. The cast includes Samia, an Iraqi refugee; Melisa, a faltering fashion mogul; and
Stephanie Burton
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-africa
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

Full Circle is quite an emotional rollercoaster of a novel. It tackles strong themes including sexual assault, racial intolerance, terrorism, the experiences of soldiers returning home, single parenthood, bullying, and the social alienation of teenagers. I did at times wonder whether so much misfortune could believably befall a relatively small cast of characters, although in this story some events have a depressing inevitability as they foll
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, fiction, war, islam
Somebody once whispered to me "the world is a roller-coaster". That is not absolutely true, the difference is that when the roller-coaster of life goes down one is bound to get hurt. Regina Timothy is a young Kenyan author who has written a very powerful book on the evils of the modern world. Her characters are real and sincere. Even though the book has its settings in America, one cannot help but relate with the pain of the characters.

Samia, her roller-coaster started going down in Iraq, her ho
Veronica K.
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful and heartbreaking story. It's been long since I read such a beautiful story. This is a story I would read over and over again. I'll definitely recommend to others.
Happy Booker
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full Circle is a contemporary fiction novel written about Samia – al – Sayyid. She is an Iraqi Immigrant that lives with her son. Samina is strong, she has found some friends and has semi-established her life as much as she can in New York. Her boss, Melissa is not a very nice person and Samina’s friend, Susan is a good friend, up until a horrific event demolishes every opportunity she had living her life in America.

I found the story to be very touching. In order for the storyline to have a nice
Lu
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book, while having a message, did not sit right with me.

I feel like a lot of the events that happened in this book were... I don’t know. A kid participated in a school shooting because he was bullied? And I don’t understand it.

However, this book did have a strong message about Islamaphobia and racism. And I think that it really does have a strong message about how the religion of Islam is perceived/viewed due to the actions of a few.
Mridula Gupta
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full Circle is the story of an Iraqi immigrant, Samia, who finds herself in midst of a chaos. She left Iraq after being a victim of abuse for years. She tries hard to settle in America, with her son, but just when she starts to feel safe, her world turns upside down. Her only son is a suspect in a bombing that killed a lot of people. including the people Samia knew. Samia’s estranged brother is back to stir trouble and all Samia can think of is where she went wrong.

“As you grow up, a lot of peop
Shomeret
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Timothy's characters grapple with immigration, terrorism, Islamophobia, the impact of the Iraq War on both Iraqis and Americans, income disparity, bullying and the often related issue of school shootings. So Full Circle is very topical. I appreciated seeing how the author made connections between all these issues through the events of her plot.

I admired central character Samia Al-Sayid's ability to survive so much adversity. She isn't a strong woman protagonist on the model of Wonder Woman. Som
Renee Guill
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trigger alert..deals with War, and suicide..This was a beautiful story, made you see that there are two sides to every story. It's about three women who end up dealing with 911 and the aftermath. One is a Muslim Lady, she is the main character, and the two others have family in the Iraq War. I don't want to give too much away. But you might want kleenex.
Cynthia
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
**First of all I'd like to thank the author Regina Timothy for sending me a copy of this amazing book for an honest review**

So Full Circle is a story that follows a character called Samia who was forced to leave her home due to some unfortunate circumstances and becomes a refugee. She then starts a new life in America where she meets her boss Melisa and through her a friend Susan. Samia struggles to survive in her new life for the sake of her son Aazim but her world comes crumbling down when she
LuEllen

Genre - Contemporary Fiction
Pages - 338
Price on Amazon - Paperback - £11.04 Kindle - £2.23
ISBN - 1981839437

Its eight years since 9/11 and Samia-Al-Sayyid has fled Iraq and is living a quiet life in New York. She has a seventeen-year-old son who she loves, a best friend called Susan and a job where she works hard. Perfect right? Wrong. One day her estranged
Heidi
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was sent a copy of this by the author for review. This has in no way impacted my review.

This was a really tricky one to rate. I really liked the overall message and it was an interesting story. It does feel like it would benefit from an editor though. Also be aware that the synopsis contains a spoiler for something that doesn’t happen until the final 25%, I definitely think it would be better to come as a shock.
Madison's Inkwell
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Take a look at my review here: http://madisonsinkwell.com/full-circl... ...more
Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)
Samia al-Sayyid has been a victim of circumstance more times than I can count. When Full Circle begins, she has emigrated from her native Iraq to New York in order to escape being put to death as punishment for bringing shame to her family. The source of this shame: she is pregnant and unmarried after years of being attacked and molested by her uncle. She has no family to fall back on, no friends to support her, and no resources.

Full Circle tells, in turn, not only Samia’s story but also that of
William Kasina
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It saddens me, thinking of this coming generation that will grow up without fathers and mothers - some will not even remember what they looked like. All they will have will be a few pictures to look at and the knowledge that their parents died fighting for their country, trying to make the world safer for them. Maybe I’m lucky I don’t have kids, or maybe I’m just one of the lucky ones. I don’t know how long my luck will last.

I'll start by admiting that this is not a book I'd pick from a shelf
Andrea
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
***I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This is part of my #Diversity theme for this month which you can read about here
I read most of this book on a cold rainy afternoon. The day had not been a good one and I was feeling down and a little sorry for myself. I started reading this and for a few hours I was lost in someone else's problems and pain. For the record there is a lot of pain between these pages.

Through the characters the author managed to bri
Ashley Gillan
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
If there’s one word I’d use to describe this book, it’s “journey.” The story chronicles relationships and various issues spanning several years and has so many emotional moments, you’ll feel like you’ve been on a rollercoaster when you finish it.
I mean all of this in a good way, of course. I really enjoyed all the characters’ perspectives, seeing their lives and struggles and ultimately witnessing their various choices and how it impacted the lives around them.
The book is told from m
Catherine
I received this book from the author. It is set mostly in New York shortly after 9/11. The story follows three women who are unhappy for different reasons. One woman is Iraqi, one American who has a brother serving in the Iraq war. Another has an ill child. We are shown the views of the different women and how they survive their struggles. The author is, I think, trying to show us we must never lose hope as it is essential to survival. It is a sad, dare I say depressing at times, book. It will d ...more
Laura Mahon
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A masterful storyteller!

Full Circle is a great read, Regina Timothy reveals herself as a masterful storyteller.
Her story unfolds after the 9/11 attacks in NYC, told with rare insight and compassion. The diversity of her characters gives us a chance to understand what it is to a Muslim in In NY. and an American in Iraqi. A story of family, friendship, revenge, hope and consequence.
Laura Calhoun
London Tracy
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First time writer Regina Timothy shares an inspiring tale about what happens when life doesn't turn out the way one might have expected and the journey back to self. The characters are interesting, well-developed and easy to relate to. Full Circle delivers an inspiring and entertaining read.
Dianne James
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Samia lives in New York City after escaping imminent death in Iraq 17 years earlier. She works as a housekeeper for a cold ruthless woman, but everything she does is so her son can have a good life in the country he was born in. His life though, has not been all roses as he moves through isolation, racism and bullying. But he studies hard and is a good boy.
Samia is filled with guilt for a past she had no control over. She wishes little for herself and is filled with love for her son and for the
Nelo
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Samia Al-Sayyid flees from her home in Iraq with her son Aazim to escape her past, she arrives in America and experiences a new kind of trouble after the 9/11 attack: racism and prejudice. Everyone around her blames her for the attack and the loss of a loved one because she is a Muslim therefore she is automatically ‘one of them’ (Terrorists). Samia is tired but no one see this and no one knows she has been through her own personal hell and is just trying to survive while creating a good life fo ...more
Damien Black
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars: Aftermath of 9/11

After the events of 9/11 as a New Yorker, I often felt the uneasiness of living in New York and watching a country changed with the majority buying into the narrative of the innocent nation attacked because of "our freedoms." A New York I felt no longer was the city I wanted to be in, what kept me sane was my friendship with others surviving the Big Apple. The underlining theme of Full Circle by Regina Timothy is friendship, and some of our friends may surprise us in o
La Kayshal
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Present vs past
An Iraqi Muslim migrant in New York, now that is interesting. This is a very moving story of a hardworking woman, Samia who lives in New York and is a single mum to a teenaged son. Just when life was going somewhat smoothly, things take a drastic turn. I felt that the main character was very strong and forgiving despite all the obstacles she had to face in life. Samia is an inspirational character that women can look up to.
Sandra Olshaski
I was immediately captured by the prologue – the events of 9/11. Upon reading the first half of the novel, however, I was somewhat disappointed. It seemed liked a light-weight novel as the author was forever naming sofas, handbags, sunglasses, etc. – "Dale Tiffany Crystal Peony" table lamp, "Manolo shoes", "Jackie Onassis" sunglasses. But as I continued to read, my attention was once again captured by the very real events that are the backdrop of this story. And we see the effect of the Iraq war ...more
Atiqah
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, kindle
In the beginning, I wanted to like it because Full Circle about the miasma of fear clouding everyone’s judgement against Muslims after 9/11. This book follows the life of Samia, a Muslim and a single mother, affected by the alienation even 8 years after the horrific event. Readers go into this book expecting a Muslim character’s take on it. However, it’s more towards what someone else imagines how it’s like rather than an actual anecdote of a Muslim suffering alienation after the tragedy.

I’m not
Fajriy
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
After the 9/11 attack, life has changed forever for Samia, an Iraqi woman who has run from her home country to America only to have to rebuilding her life again together with her son. That's in the prologue, but the story is much more complex than that. There is also Melisa, who is struggling for her failing marriage and business, and has to keep worrying about her brother fighting a war in Iraq. And then there is Susan, who after the death of her husband, has to fight for her dying daughter. Th ...more
Kenyan book lovers: New compelling story written by Kenyan writer 6 29 Nov 29, 2018 04:58AM
Kindle Unlimited ...: New compelling story - Full Circle 1 4 Jan 01, 2018 12:50AM

• In Too Deep
  • Cain (Bones MC, #1)
  • On A Rainy Night in Georgia (Modern Mail Order Bride #5)
  • No Twists, No Turns, Just Love
  • Crossroads
  • Love Under Attack
  • Blended Blues
  • Slow Hand (Women of Substance Book 2)
  • The Butcher Of Beaumont
  • How Not to Cross a Billionaire
  • With A Kiss, I Die (Flashback, #1)
  • The Scale (Martha's Way, #1)
  • His to Keep (Alien Overlords #3)
  • Enough of the Drama