The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2014 > 10.1 - Go to Jail

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Mar 02, 2014 12:21PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10887 comments Mod
10.1 - Go to Jail
Read a book in which a main character is or was in jail, a detention center, a death camp, or imprisoned in some way. People who work or live in a jail would work, too. So will ex-cons. The Goodreads description or reviews should mention jail, prison, prisoner, inmate, imprisonment, incarceration, detention. work camp, death camp, ex-con, etc. This list might give you some ideas: Prison Books
These would work: Al Capone Does My Shirts, Running the Books: The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian, True Notebooks: A Writer's Year at Juvenile Hall, Zone: A Prison Camp Guard's Story, True Blue
Required: If the Goodreads description doesn't make it obvious, explain how your book fits the task when you post.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Mar 31, 2014 08:44PM) (new)

These won't work:

An Inconvenient Affair - military reform school won't work
Different Seasons - collection of novellas, only one of which fits the theme of the task
Twelve Years a Slave - slavery doesn't really fit

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Prajakta wrote: "Will Orange Is the New Black work?"

It certainly will!

message 7: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will this one work main character held in a cage Half Bad

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

JennRenee wrote: "will this one work main character held in a cage Half Bad"

Yeah, I'd say that's imprisoned! Sounds like an interesting story.

message 9: by Delmy (last edited Feb 15, 2014 01:18PM) (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn ??

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "will this one work main character held in a cage Half Bad"

Yeah, I'd say that's imprisoned! Sounds like an interesting story."

thanks so much!

message 12: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Ransom

The plot description mentions abduction and being held as captives.

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delmy =^.^= wrote: " One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn ??"

That works.

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Valorie wrote: "Will this one work? The Art of Making Money: The Story of a Master Counterfeiter"

It will.

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Susan A wrote: "Ransom

The plot description mentions abduction and being held as captives."

Yep, that works.

message 16: by Sheila (last edited Feb 16, 2014 09:05AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Hi Kristi I was wondering if this would work for this task

Fugitive by Phillip Margolin Fugitive by Phillip Margolin

or

Void Moon by Michael Connelly

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Cameron (kjcall) | 3 comments John Grisham's The Racketeer by John Grisham

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sheila wrote: "Hi Kristi I was wondering if this would work for this task

Fugitive by Phillip Margolin Fugitive by Phillip Margolin

or

Void Moon by Michael Connelly"

Either of those would work.

message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

Karen wrote: "John Grisham's The Racketeer by John Grisham"

That works.

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Thanks Kristi

message 21: by Deborah (last edited Feb 16, 2014 08:29PM) (new)

Deborah | 1332 comments Would this work?
Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity, #2) by Elizabeth Wein Rose Under Fire

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments if anyone wnats a pretty good YA historical fiction - Dark Triumph - the hero (Beast) is held prisoner for the first portion of the book - and bonus, the first book in the series has someone in a red dress, that fits one of the 30 point tasks (I think)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I just want to check would Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas work?

message 25: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) Would The Palace Job be okay? The description mentions the main character was in prison.

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Deborah wrote: "Would this work?
Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth WeinRose Under Fire"

Yes, being held in a concentration camp works.

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I just want to check would Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas work?"

Yep, "serving a year of hard labor in the salt mines for her crimes" works.

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Claire wrote: "The Green Mile by Stephen King"

That definitely works.

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lulu wrote: "Would The Palace Job be okay? The description mentions the main character was in prison."

It does. So, yes, that works.

message 31: by Kristina Simon (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would Guarded: Surviving as a Female Prison Officer: A Memoir to be ok?"

Yes, that works.

message 32: by Judy (new)

Judy | 856 comments Would Tongues of Serpents work? They are transported to a prison colony in Australia. Thanks!

message 33: by Kristina Simon (new)

Judy wrote: "Would Tongues of Serpents work? They are transported to a prison colony in Australia. Thanks!"

Yes, that works!

message 34: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments This may be pushing it, but would Holes work?

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments Didn't get American Gods read for winter so would it work here since Shadow starts out in prison and makes references to it throughout first part of book at least, I still haven't finished it. Thanks

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

Stacie wrote: "This may be pushing it, but would Holes work?"

That's not pushing it. I was actually thinking of Holes when I added (juvenile) detention to the task. ;-) It works.

message 37: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy wrote: "Didn't get American Gods read for winter so would it work here since Shadow starts out in prison and makes references to it throughout first part of book at least, I still haven't finis..."

Yes, that works.

message 38: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Stacie wrote: "This may be pushing it, but would Holes work?"

That's not pushing it. I was actually thinking of Holes when I added (juvenile) detention to the task. ;-) I..."

Yeah! Thanks!

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jenifer wrote: "Would Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?"

It would, yes.

message 42: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Jenifer wrote: "Would Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?"

It would, yes."

Thanks!

message 43: by Kristina Simon (new)

Tanya wrote: "The Shawshank Redemption"

Sorry, Tanya, The Shawshank Redemption was actually a novella written by Stephen King (called Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption). I don't see a stand-alone print version of just that story. The book you've linked to is a critical analysis of the film of the same name. So that won't work (not to mention the fact that it's under 100 pages). The only print version of the story I can find is in a collection of novellas called Different Seasons and, since not all of the short stories in that collection fit the theme of the task, that book won't work. So, unless I'm missing something, The Shawshank Redemption won't work.

message 44: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments How about Round Robin by Joseph Flynn?

One of the main characters was in jail in East Germany for spying. The book description on Goodreads only says he was turned in by his wife. The specific words that the task requested are not there so I was not sure if this would work.

message 45: by Andy (last edited Mar 02, 2014 09:32AM) (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3397 comments Would this book work? From the Dead. One of the main characters has just been released from prison after having served 12 years for having hired someone to kill her husband which he allegedly did.

message 46: by Kristina Simon (new)

Helen wrote: "How about Round Robin by Joseph Flynn?

One of the main characters was in jail in East Germany for spying. The book description on Goodreads only says he was turned in by his wife. ..."

One of the reviews makes it clears that not only did the ex-wife turn him in, but that he spent time in prison. Just point DLMRose to Sally Malkowski's review when you post. I'll update the task description to include review.

message 47: by Kristina Simon (new)

Andy wrote: "Would this book work? From the Dead. One of the main characters has just been released from prison after having served 12 years for having hired someone to kill her husband which he..."

Yes, that works.

message 48: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3397 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Andy wrote: "Would this book work? From the Dead. One of the main characters has just been released from prison after having served 12 years for having hired someone to kill her hus..."
Thanks!

message 49: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Helen wrote: "How about Round Robin by Joseph Flynn?

One of the main characters was in jail in East Germany for spying. The book description on Goodreads only says he was turned in..."

Thanks much Kristi. Will use it. I seem to be your nemesis for this challenge. Kudos for all your help.

message 50: by Kristina Simon (new)

Helen wrote: "Thanks much Kristi. Will use it. I seem to be your nemesis for this challenge. Kudos for all your help."

LOL. No problem, Helen. Happy reading!

« previous 1