The Selection (The Selection, #1) The Selection question

DO you Think I should give it a try ?
Asmaa Asmaa Feb 12, 2014 10:20AM
There were mixed reviews about this one !! This is My first dystopia read , and I would like to start a good one so I don't Have a bad Idea about The dystopia Gender !!

The Selection is not a typical dystopia. It focus more on the romance and less in the social critics that are so characteristic of dystopian novels. In the Selection universe, it looks like the political context is nothing but a pretext for the archaic plot: 35 girls fighting for a prince/crown.
I enjoyed, because my expectations weren't high. I had a lot of fun.

I've read quite a few Dystopias and really like the *genre. This, honestly, wasn't my favorite. I liked it, but the main character annoyed me at times because of how emotionally driven she is; she can't make up her mind about what she thinks from one minute to the next - her emotions are always clouding her view.
There were other reasons why this book wasn't my favorite, but since you haven't read it, I don't want to give too much away.
Personally, I much prefer Divergent, The Hunger Games, and The Chemical Garden Trilogy is a great one too, though I don't know if that one is really classified as "Dystopia."
There are a lot out there, so maybe look around or make a list and pick one. :)

F 25x33
Ashlee Vanasse The movie version of the Hunger Games wasn't half as good as the book! Hope you enjoy it! I actually really liked the selection though, I think it has ...more
Feb 12, 2014 11:47AM · flag
Drew I think Katniss was just as emotionally-driven in the last two Hunger Games books, if not more so, than America in The Selection Series. And I enjoyed ...more
Feb 12, 2014 03:18PM · flag

I'd definitely say start with the Hunger Games. That's the best dystopian series I've read, by far.

The Selection was pretty good - better than I expected actually, but it barely qualifies as dystopian.

I think that The Selection doesn't have a super strong theme of dystopia, they don't seem to focus too much on the idea of being a number as your place in society, so if you're a beginner to dystopia it's not a huge shock.

Thanks Drew Cernava for the recommendation , I guess as soon as I finish the hunger games I will start the selection !

This isn't the best "dystopian" series I've read, but I really enjoyed it. All the negative reviews for The Selection turned me away from reading it, too, but I'm SO glad I gave it a try. It turned out to be much better than I expected; Kiera Cass really surprised me, and I think the second book is even better than the first.

However, if you want to read a totally "dystopian" series for the first time, I would recommend:

Delirium
The Knife of Never Letting Go
Divergent
Across the Universe
Under the Never Sky
Awaken
Uglies