The Book Was Better discussion

BOOKS ON SCREEN > MAZE RUNNER

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1688 comments Mod
Okay, I know the movie is not out right now, but I am really excited for this movie! I wanted to start this topic now so we can all chat about what we HOPE will be in the movie, then we can see if we are happy as the official trailers and actual movie come out!

One thing I really can't wait to see are the grievers! Even with the description given in the book I have a hard time understand just what they are going to look like! Not to mention how battling them will look and work!

message 2: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I know, right!?!? I am getting annoyed that there is still not even a teaser trailer out yet. I mean, come on....we are like dying here!!!!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I'm so excited. EX-CI-TED. I'm curious as to how they're doing this.

message 4: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I am dying just waiting for an actual trailer! I feel like I check just about every week just in case! haha

message 5: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Dana wrote: "I am dying just waiting for an actual trailer! I feel like I check just about every week just in case! haha"

So I looked on You Tube and found an "official trailor" and watched it...it was HORRIBLE! Made it look like a messed up horror movie. Then I realized it was fan made and laughed at myself. Now I know to check IMDB first haha

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Haha Yeah, I know the one you are talking about I think. There is one that was out a LONG time ago that was just to like gt people interested in the book and all that...and even though I know that....I still get tricked by it every now and then! Hopefully SOON something will come out! I'm like DYING over here! (a little dramatic maybe....haha)

message 7: by Teri (new)

Teri North | 2 comments I LOVED this book and it makes me very excited to see the movie. Ii hope it is as good.

message 8: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

THE TRAILER IS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am posting it to the group now!!! (and watching it for the third time in a row!!)

message 9: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments omg omg omg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-iS...

omg omg omg

I'm SO excited!!!!!

message 10: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Why is it not September yet?!??!?!?! I am freaking out so much. have watched it at least 10 times now....and would watch it more but it just gets me too worked up at the end to see Thomas run into the closing maze over and over again!! haha

One weird thing....I posted the trailer on my Facebook and one of my friends that I read books with said he wanted to see it. But, then another friend started to convince him it was scary and really suspenseful, so he said he might not read it. She literally referred to it as a "suspenseful thriller." I was not on here at the time, so I had to do some damage control and explained that it was no worse than Enders Game with the action, and it really was not a scary book....just lots of twists and all that. Was I wrong? Is it actually scary? Or is the girl that butted in on my FB post correct?

message 11: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments hahahahahahha...no its not scary. Maybe if you're like five years old. Sorry, not trying to be rude but I didn't think it was scary at all.

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I feel the same way, and the person who mentioned it is not a close friend or someone who I chat with about books....so when she said that I was kind of annoyed... Esp cuz I know my friend Robert will really like the books if he reads them! Hopefully I convinced him not to listen to that other girl! haha

message 13: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments well hopefully he'll take the advice of a friend instead of a stranger!

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Exactly!

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel This book is very popular at the library, but luckily people are not renting the e-book, so I was able to score it that way.

I have been reading it for about 2 weeks, and my first reaction was wanting to abandon it, but curosity about the maze helped me get through it, and when Theresa entered the picture as well.

I have about 130 pages left in the book, and wow talk about action pack. I haven't watched the trailer yet. I'm waiting to finish the book before I see it. I'm really excited to see the grievers...same excitement like I had with the death eaters in Harry Potter. The book reminds me of the tv show, LOST and little bit of the book, Lord of the Flies.

I will for sure read the other 2 books in the series.

message 16: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

When the trailer came out I was freaking out for sure!!! I has been checking online for it every few days, and when it came out it for sure did not disappoint! I read the books a few months back, but plan on re-reading them now since I am sure there are things I hae forgotten since I flew through them! They are just such great books. I'm excited to hear your reaction once you finish it and watch the trailer!! :D

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Here is my review: 3 out of 5 stars. I do not put spoliers in my reviews because that ruin the fun in reading!

The Maze Runner is an action packed thrill ride, but it has a slow start. It wasn't until I was about 10 chapters into the novel that it got really good. The book reminded me a lot of the TV show, Lost, and the novel, Lord of the Flies. This book is geared more to the male demographic, but if you are a fan of dystopian novels this one is one not to miss. You feel for the characters, and easily have a favorite. Mine was Chuck. It is an interesting story with an unusal twist. Hopefully, the movie adaption will be fantastic! The story is very visual, and deserved to be developed into a movie.

After reading the book, I watched the trailer for the movie and WOW!!!! Filled with lots of action, and I love the casting. I am hesistant with a September release date the studio didn't have high hopes for this film.

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Glad you liked it!! And yes, it really is geared more for guys, but right now I think that is sooo needed with all the girl novels out there being made into movies and such. I have watched the trailer more times than I care to admit and am soooo excited that it is coming out in September(9 days before my birthday)!!! :D

message 19: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I have been meaning to read the book for ages now and since the film is coming out soon I better get a move on!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I agree that a book geared more towards boys was much needed in the dystopian genre. It seems like the trend now is writing more towards girls, and added the whole love triangle sceniro.

message 21: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Rachel wrote: "I agree that a book geared more towards boys was much needed in the dystopian genre. It seems like the trend now is writing more towards girls, and added the whole love triangle sceniro."

Yes and Yes! The love triangle thing is driving me nuts!! I am reading the Matched trilogy right now and it is making me so mad that they are putting so much weight into the love story!! For me there was enough other stuff happening in Hunger Games for the love story to be almost secondary at certain points, but other books are all but slapping readers in the face with it! It so often is annoying and just makes the lead female look weak and overly emotional..... Maybe that is another reason I like the "boy" YA books more! haha

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dana wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I agree that a book geared more towards boys was much needed in the dystopian genre. It seems like the trend now is writing more towards girls, and added the whole love triangle scen..."

I've heard Matched is a very good series, but have heard the same thing that the love triangle is annoying. I was so happy to see that Divergent did not tap onto that bandwagon. I fell The Hunger Games love triangle was necessary because the character Katniss grows a lot in the series.

I am planning on reading the second book in The Maze Runner series soon. Hopefully, it will answer my questions! I don't want to provide my answers because it could be spoilers, and I am terrible with putting in the spoiler disclaimer notice in the threads.

message 23: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

To me Matched is a mix of The Giver and Hunger Games, with the love triangle of Twilight thrown in.... I think the whole "rebellion" side of it is not enough to overpower the love story... I also do not like the lead girl and one of the boys is also really annoying.... I will be happy once I am gone with it for sure!!

I totally agree that the love side of HG was needed. It never felt thrown in just cause or anything like that....

If you are looking for answers you might not want to keep reading...I feel like the farther you go in Maze Runner the more questions there are!! haha But, at the same time some of them are answered. There is just a lot of craziness going on for sure! Always new and different things too. I look forward to re-reading them in a week or two when I get some of the other books I need to read finished.

message 24: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments I cannot wait for this movie to come out, why can't it be September already?? The trailer looks fantastic and I can't wait to see the grievers. I've never been able to picture them from the description, so I think it'll be interesting to see how they've been portrayed in the movie. Not long now!

message 25: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

EXACTLY!! I am looking forward to that movie so much!!!!! And yes, the grievers are hard to imagine from the book. I want to see them so bad! There is a like mini half second of them in the preview...but that is not nearly enough for sure!!!!

message 26: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Yes! I kept trying to pause it on the part that they show up to get a still and inspect it a little bit, but I had no luck! I guess it just makes me that much more intrigued to see the movie. Let's hope it does the book justice, fingers crossed!

message 27: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Based on the trailer I have high hopes it will be good!! But....I have been let down before!! So I will walk in with love expectation and fingers crossed!! haha

message 28: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments The trailer did look amazing, right?! I've found that every time I have high expectations, I'm always let down. I'm hoping it's not like that with this one!!

message 29: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Me too! But, the trailer looks AMAZING here, so I am trying to keep a level head about it but I have a feeling it will be really good. I am sure they will change things, esp if they do not plan on making the rest of the series. Any word on that?? I would love to see them all for sure, but the first was kind of my favorite!!

message 30: by Soraya (new)

Soraya | 6 comments I watched the trailer and noticed that threasa is awake when she comes out of the box which is wierd cause that's one of the main things that happen how she is in a comma and can talk to him

message 31: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments I did notice that as well! But I thought that maybe they found a better way to portray their abilities to communicate through their minds. I'm not too sure how, but I don't want to get too picky because if I do I may completely change my mind. I love Dylan O'Brien though, and I really want to like this movie! I want this one to be a good movie adaptation.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I've read that they took out the telepathic element out of the movie. I've disappointed with that because the entire time I was reading the book, I just pictured the characters doing some weird facial expressions. Oh well, guess book to movie adapations are not alwasy perfect.

message 33: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Oh really? That's really disappointing actually because it was really one of the main aspects of Theresa coming in. A lot of that focused around them communicating telepathically, I feel like it's needed? Wow I don't know how I feel about that.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I agree it was a major element to the book that should have been kept in the story. Personally, I don't really have high hopes for the film because of the September release date. As an avid movie watcher, statiscally February and September are the worse release months for movies. Usually the duds are release during those two months.

message 35: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Really? Oh god why did I not know this?? I'm constantly at the movies and/or watching movies and never even noticed that! Oh no :( I really wanted this to be good! Maybe now I'll go into the theatre with less expectations and then actually enjoy it?

message 36: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I have seen the preview so many times that I cannot remember the book clearly right now, but didn't she say his name when she first got there? Then passed out again?

As for taking out the telepathy, I think it could still work if they have him gaining knowledge through dreams or something that she also has. That was an element that did a lot in the book, but at the same time I can see it being a hard thing to show in the movie...

I think it looked great from the preview, but again, I don't want to get my hopes too high! Esp right before my birthday! Did I mention it comes out 9 days before my birthday yet!???!! ;)

message 37: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Yeah I read the book last year so I can't remember every little thing but I can't remember if she said it in her sleep or if she came too. I might have to give the book a re-read before I watch it.
I do agree that it'd be difficult to convey in a movie although I don't know, it was quite a large aspect. I hope they've found another way to show that communication.
No you didn't! Good birthday present?! I guess we will see, when it comes out!

message 38: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments I just finished the scorch trials.... Holy shit. I don't even know what's happening anymore.

message 39: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

HAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, but I read that and just cracked up!! But yes....these books for sure give you more questions than answers a lot of the time!!

message 40: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Hahaha my frustration levels were high when I wrote that! Yes they certainly do... That's possibly why it took me so long to actually read the second book, or maybe it was the pain and agony I felt after chuck.

message 41: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I know, right!?! I about died when Chuck did! I mean...it was so out of left field!!! And then the whole ending(or maybe start of the second one) where Thomas all of a sudden no longer has Theresa in his head!! I was a mess trying to figure out what was going on! Those books take you all over the place before getting you to the end for sure!!!

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I was so disappointed when Chuck died. He was my favorite character, and it was so random as well. I mean they just got out of the maze, and are finding out more information about the experiment, and he is an innocent bystander in the path of a crazy man.

message 43: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Yup! I think it works to show that everything is far from over, it is just a bummer since Thomas has NO ONE after that, since Theressa is then gone soon after as well. I find it interesting though later to hear how things went differently in the all girl maze...

message 44: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Beth Mulholland (tailsbeth) Hey, new here. Did everyone think the glade looks spot on? I got my family hooked on the series and when we sat down to watch the trailer, we all agreed that's how we saw the glade.
So excited for the movie but I'm in the UK so have to wait until October 10th, not faaair :(

message 45: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welcome Taylor!! And I totally agree!! I think the glad looks perfect! I have watch the preview about a billion times now, and I cannot wait for the movie!!!!!! That stinks about the release time! It comes out here just before my birthday, and if I had to wait until after my birthday I would freak out a bit!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this book! I read it this year and it was recommended to me by my friend Cole. Thank you Cole. I can't wait to see the movie. I think the cast is okay, but Gally should have black hair and Newt needs to look older.

message 47: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I plan on re-reading this book at least once before the movie is out (was planning on doing it this month but I have been mega busy)! I can't remember the specifics on peoples descriptions, but am so excited for this book based on the preview! I just got the set for a friend and cannot wait for him to read and love them!!

message 48: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Welp, my friend messaged me this morning. He read the whole series over the last few days while he was road tripping from Washing state to Alaska. Six hours a day sitting in a car waiting for his turn to drive through Canada and he finished the whole thing.... But, he LOVED them, aside from the ending somewhat thanks to everything with Theressa!

message 49: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I must admit I wasn't a big fan of this book. Could be my mind set when I was reading it or it just frustrated me too much to enjoy it. I didn't connect with Thomas or any of the boys. Every time there was a scene with a griever I pictured something out of a Dr Who episode... idk don't think I will continue with this series. Sorry to those who love it :) might watch it to see if I enjoy the movie more...

message 50: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I still cannot imagine what the grievers look like, and I even would read and re-read the descriptions. I am most excited to see them in the movie, since I think they were just so much outside my mental ability that I never quite got a real feel for how they looked.

I have heard a few people say they will not continue with the series since there are so many questions raised(that never get answered in some cases), but I have not heard anyone not get connected with Thomas. People might have felt that way but just did not say it.... I personally got hooked right away and really felt for him. Maybe it was his desire to be a runner, and since I do 5ks and half marathons I was excited for him to get out there and try it! haha Who knows...

« previous 1 3 4