What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Foiling the Dragon
This topic is about Foiling the Dragon
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. book about a man transported to another world and recites a poem to a dragon [s]

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Please help me remember the title of this book!
A trainee sorceress transports a singer to her world to help keep a dragon happy. The dragon likes to listen to poems, but tends to eat the bards when he gets bored.
The guy is terrified of the dragon and the only thing that comes to his mind is a nursery rhyme.
I remember at one point the guy is capture by a king and put into a dark hole, an oublier, the book mentions that 'he didnt know but the word oublier means to forget' and he was just to be left there.
The sorceress rescues him, and they end up riding on the dragons back and saving the day.
I can't remember if the word dragon was even in the title but I've tried everything in google I can think of. Please help!

message 2: by Tess (new) - added it

Tess | 438 comments Maybe Eventide?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments No :(
The guy was from 'our world' and didnt want to be a hero.
I remember he wakes up after being transported to the other world. He's in bed and thinks there is a hot water bottle in with him, it turns out to be a very small dragon.
The sorceress is a bit useless at magic.

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Sarah, was this book for adults, teens, or children?

How many years ago did you read it?

Anything about the cover?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments I read it quite young, prob about 15 years ago! It was probably aimed for young adult?

message 6: by Tess (new) - added it

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments No :(

I also remember at the end...the sorceress manages to make a portal back to the guys world, she isnt sure if it will work properly thou.
He tries to send back a gift (shiny iridescent wrapping paper) but it wont work until he puts a cat on the portal (it need something alive)
The cat and paper zap back to the sorceresses world and she thinks shes turned the guy into a cat.

message 8: by Tab (last edited Feb 26, 2014 10:10AM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments This doesn't quite fit, but the Spellsinger series features a musician being transported accidentally by a wizard (not sorceress).

Maybe, your book was from the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 9: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1197 comments Here's another that doesn't quite fit (as far as I can recall) but Her Majesty's Wizard by Christopher Stasheff involves a guy being transported to a magical world and using poetry to do spells, and there are parts with him reciting some to a dragon, at least as I remember it.
I'm don't really think this is it by your descriptions but looking at similar books might be helpful.

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Hum, it's been a year or ten since I read them, but what about Rick Cook's series Wizard's Bane?

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments :( nope nope and no :(
I've been googling like crazy! It's driving me mad!

message 12: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Do you know what nursery rhyme?

Also, It's probably an oubliette.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments The nursery rhyme was something about birds. I cant remember it exactly but the dragon thought it was a riddle and 'solved' it.
Im sure it had a rook, blackbirds and raven in the rhyme?

message 14: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Don't know if this relates, but here's a poem that mentions nursery rhymes and lots of birds: http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/...

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments No it wasn't that long :( It was just a childs nursery rhyme that the dragon read too much into, but it kept him interested enough to ask for another.

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison Gibson | 3 comments Im looking for this book as well just. Cant think of the title

message 17: by Tess (new) - added it

Tess | 438 comments bump!

message 18: by Majobajob (new)

Majobajob | 4 comments I too am looking for this book.

I seem to remember an ode to a lavatory brush, or something along those lines.

I want to say the main characters name was Paul as well but i may just be grasping at straws...

message 19: by Majobajob (new)

Majobajob | 4 comments I hope that anyone who never found this book still occasionally comes to this thread... Foiling the Dragon is the name of the book. I actually found it on this site as well!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Majobajob, I'm glad that you found your book.
Sarah, the OP, was last active a month after she posted this in 2014. I'm moving this to the Abandoned folder.

message 21: by Majobajob (new)

Majobajob | 4 comments Kate wrote: "Majobajob, I'm glad that you found your book.
Sarah, the OP, was last active a month after she posted this in 2014. I'm moving this to the Abandoned folder."

Hi Kate,

Before you do is there a way to PM Tess and Alison - as this thread reminded me of plot points that were vital in finding it. Without this I feel my search would have lasted a great deal longer.

Kind regards,

Danny

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
Majobajob wrote: "Before you do is there a way to PM Tess and Alison."

You would go to their profile pages and there is a button to send a message. Some people only accept messages from friends, however.

message 23: by Majobajob (new)

Majobajob | 4 comments Thanks Lobster!

In hindsight that was pretty obvious - just me being a bit thick!

PM's sent and this thread can now be closed.

Cheers,

Danny

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
Moving to Solved...I'm convinced Foiling the Dragon is the book. It has a bard-eating dragon, poetry recitations, and Amazon mentions:

Then the luke-warm hot-water bottle nips him. It's a dragon. A small dragon, but still a dragon.

A light-hearted fantasy of poets, sorceresses, dragons — and wrapping paper.

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason MacGregor | 1 comments Sounds more like The Dragon and the George