Start by marking “Eventide (Tales of the Dragon's Bard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eventide (Tales of the Dragon's Bard, #1)

Eventide

(Tales of the Dragon's Bard #1)

Where the Heroes are all local...
And the Princess lives next door...

Jarod Klum was trapped in his small life in the small village of Eventide and saw no means of escape. He would never be worthy of the woman of his dreams, never achieve great deeds of valor and never be remembered in song or story.

It wasn’t that he was without dreams. He dreamed them every night; of rescu
Nook, 342 pages
Published January 4th 2011 by Scribe''s Forge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Eventide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eventide

April
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
THAT. Was a lovely bit of story telling. I wish I had small children to read it to. What a great way to start the book year.
Charlton
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've decided that when I have grandchildren I would like to read this book to them.

I liked this book,it was much more like a fairy-tale than I had expected.
The gist of the book was about a young boy who wanted to court a particular young girl.
All the while being helped (sort of) by a roving bard.

There is no sex or violence in this book,I think it's a great book for pre-teens.

As for me,I really liked this book as well as I think anyone who likes fairy-tales will.
Magila
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The trope of a bard telling a tale, or inspiring heroism from a young person in a small town is simply not too old to me. I enjoyed the character of this book, the way the story was told, the delivery, bits of humor. At times a little rote, overall this is a very enjoyable read that I'd recommend to fantasy fans. I'm very glad I stumbled onto the audio of this book through the Bookshelf app.
Christina
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book that'll have you writhing in suspense, this isn't it. Instead, the pleasure comes from slowly getting to know the residents of the town of Eventide, their secret dreams, idiosyncrasies, and connections to one another. Everyone, from the blacksmith to the Gossip Fairy to the town priest, has their own inner life and is treated with a quiet dignity.
Ryan Thalman
Interesting and funny fantasy. Nice and clean. Seems meant for all ages (story lines that adults would enjoy, but no material that wouldn't be objectionable for my 10 year old).
Barbara
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun romp through the quirky lives of the townsfolk of Eventide with the Dragon's Bard turning things upside down. Definitely a fun one to read out loud.
Maria
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liken reading this delightful book to watching a fluffy mini-series. There are interesting characters, various stories that intertwine, and an arc that ties all of it together.

The premise of the book is that, in exchange for NOT being eaten, the fancifully self-proclaimed Dragon's Bard goes about the world and collects stories. Once a year, he is to return to the dragon's lair and regale the old one with that year's harvest of tales. Thus, each book in the series is supposed to be a town in wh
Garrett
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been really busy, so it took me a while to get into this book. But, once I got to page 80, I read the remaining 260 pages in a single sitting! I just had to know what would happen.

This was a fun, amusing read of several stories that all raveled together into a story mainly about a boy who likes a girl and his attempts to "win her heart".

Setting: The story is set in the town of Eventide and the stories all revolve around that town. The town is near the kingdom seat and so there are some hero
Pop Bop
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Grimm Tale Without the Grim Part

This is like "Our Town" meets Gaiman's "Stardust", meets "The Music Man", meets the circus. And I mean that in a good way.

The Dragon's Bard, "Edvard the Just", is a Barnum style con man tale-teller with a distinct Dr. Harold Hill vibe. He takes poor, shy glum Jarod Klum under his wing with a promise to set him on a heroic course that will ultimately lead Jarod to his life's dream - winning the hand of the fair maid Caprice. (Are these great names, or what?)

So, off
Cathy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edvard the Just is a humble Dragon's Bard, one day he was captured by a Dragon King, Khrag, and taken to his lair. Just as the dragon was about to eat him, Edvard mentioned that he could tell the dragon stories. Khrag just happens to love to hear stories and was more than willing to allow Edvard to live to hear those stories. But, Edvard runs out of stories to tell eventually, as we all would, and Khrag can't eat him, because he's very skinny from telling the dragon stories for such a long time. ...more
Robert
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This will be a review of both the book and the Dragon's Bard experience as a whole.

The story of Eventide is a kinder, gentler tale than most Fantasy fiction these days. More Wizard of Oz than Lord of the Rings. No epic quests and journeys across the land. It was a quest of the heart and a stroll across the village square.
Jarod Klum was an average lad in his village. All he wanted to do is prove himself to the girl of his dreams. Things weren't going well for him. After Edvard the Dragon's Bard
Ally Morcom
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
As books go, this is a fair one. It was clever, and imaginative, and it had likeable characters. If it hadn't been for the humor, though, it would have been a two star book. The humor was fantastic. From page 1 I was laughing out loud at some of the situations and dialogues, and it's rare to find high-brow humor in such quantities as in Eventide.

However, while the characters are likeable and have amusing interactions, I just couldn't bring myself to care about them that much. It may be because t
Sandee
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I find the characters fun and interesting. The Dragon's Bard and Jarod--what a great combination, I find myself smirking to myself in public as I read their dialogues. Nice!

This is a refreshing read. After reading other new authors in the Adult Fiction genre, Eventide is proving to be so much fun. It's probably because the Hickmans are NOT new authors.

I love the fabulosity that is the Dragon's Bard and the serious, down to earth, if somewhat sullen, Jarod and their conversations. It is s
Scott Couchman
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up from listening to an interview with Tracy Hickman, and the idea of a Dwarf who wanted to dance just struck a chord. In that interview, the author said this is the type of book that publishers wouldn't touch because the story wasn't big or epic enough. Wow. It's sad to think that this would have never been written. It is incredibly touching and heartfelt. A story of love with story arcs all through the community, frequently with very touching or hilarious results.

It was a definit
Sandee
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

Jared
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I decided it would be good to read this book out loud with my wife. we took turns listening to the adventures that were at times fun, at times heart-felt and all around good natured. It is a breath of fresh air to have a book in the fantasy genre that is uplifting, warm, funny, thought provoking that you walk away from feeling like you are a better human being having read.

It was a wonderful expirience that ended all too soon. I was given the book by the authors personally, and it will always be
Kelsey
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eventide
So I didn't know that this was actually the first book in the companion series so I read the second book first. Luckily it didn't spoil too much so the book was still enjoyable. It was fun to see some of the same characters again and see them fleshed out a little more.
This story followed our main character Jarod Klum on an adventure to win the heart of his true love. Helped along by the dragon bard, the bards writer and an old centaur farmer, his plans don't always go exactly how they p
Debbie
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really, really enjoyed this book. I was trying to think of what I would compare it to, and the only thing I could think of was a cross between the Septimus Heap series and Little Women. I know...not even close to the same, and probably not even a good comparison, but somehow it reminded me of them.

This book follows a dragon's bard (he collects stories to tell a dragon so the dragon won't go destroy everyone) as he settles down in the town of Eventide and proceeds to turn everyone's liv
Stuarts
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jarod Klum thinks he is a nobody and has no chance of getting the girl he's in love with. Until one day, he meets the dragon's bard named Edvard the just, a man responsible for making sure the land doesn't get burned down by the dragon king Khrag. The only way to protect the land is by telling the dragon king all kinds of stories, legends, adventures, and in return, Khrag decides to spares the land. It's the dragon's bard's job to find all the stories in the land, which brings him to Eventide wh ...more
Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer
This book was not at all what I expected. I am a huge Tracy Hickman fan from the Dragonlance and Deathgate Cycle days. What's different about this book is that it isn't the same sweeping epic adventure that I'm used to. What's similar is that the characters are so well wrought and their stories are so well-crafted, you can't help falling in love with every one of them and cheering them on and hoping for the absolute best ending for each of them!

When I started reading, I felt it was a charming l
Heather
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved the Hickman's books in the past and this one was just as good.

The story is about a bard that is captured by a dragon and instead of eating him, the dragon keeps him alive to tell him stories. When the stories run out he tells the man that if he will return every year with new stories the bard would live and the dragon would not attack the town.

The bard means well, I think in part, but he is also looking for a juicy story and so every time he tries to help the people in the town of
Kaylynn Johnsen
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is hard reviewing ARCs because you aren't sure if the mistakes you notice will be fixed. You'd hate to really rave about it and then find that the big continuity error you noticed was still there at print date. But, if it is fixed then you can don't look like a fool.

So, if the one continuity error is fixed and the several typos then this has the makings of a fun book that could turn into a series. I think the Dragon's Bard has a great career ahead of him, traveling from town to town collectin
Echo
When I first started reading this book, I thought I had made a big mistake and was reading a book intended for a much younger audience, but I decided to give it a little longer. I am so glad I did. This is a silly and fun story about how someone set on finding a story causes havoc in the lives of others unintentionally ruining everything he is trying to help them with, while still ending up with the best results possible. This Dragon's Bard will have stories for the dragon king galore at the end ...more
Valerie
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started off having a bit of trouble getting into it, but once I did, it was great. And soooooo funny! The only issue I had was at the beginning, Jarod was not very bright, and a bit of a buffoon, which these authors seem to like to do, as the lead character in "swept up by the sea" was the same. Jarod goes along these lines at first, and a couple other times, but in general his personality changes too quickly to be believable. Also Jarod says he can't even talk to Caprice, but when he does, he ...more
Bubble Bath Books
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sissy: And this one is one of the most fun books I have ever read. It is so clever and goofily whimsical. I applaud the Hickmans for having such creative brain cells! The characters are so weird, entertaining and craftily crafted. I had a ball reading Eventide.
Bubby: Any novel that has characters like Gossip Fairies and Centaur Farmers and dancing blacksmiths is a win for me. I have long been a fan of Tracy Hickman's high fantasy work - his Dragonlance books are well known to us nerdy geeky peop
Monica
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tales of the Dragons Bard: Eventide is one of the best books I've read in quite a while. Sporting a full cast of witty characters, Eventide follows the misadventures of Jarod, a local nobody, pulled into an epic quest by the well meaning if idiotic Dragons Bard, Edvard. With Edvard's "help" Jarod tries to win the heart of the fair maiden Caprice, their escapades bringing them into the lives of other inhabitants of Eventide, and madness ensues. The resulting havoc is lighthearted and thoroughly a ...more
Josh
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
So I almost didn't finish the book. I didn't realize that it was a book written for teenage girls. I thought it was a book about a bard and a dragon, but it really is a book about a boy trying to capture the girl of his dreams.

The first quarter of the book was pretty bad. Bad writing and a poor plot. I would give the first quarter a 1.5 stars. Towards the middle things got a little better and towards the end it was decent to read.

In all I would give it 2.5 stars and mention that I have no desire
Annabelle
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I thought the premise was great. I liked the humor. I thought the way the authors wove the main story of Jarod along with the rest of the townspeople & traditions was clever and fun. I loved Jared's attempts at courting that always seemed to go awry.

I felt like the ending was too rushed, though. I got to the last couple chapters and felt like I had missed something important during the climactic battle scene. A second read through the chapter didn't make th
Gypsy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed this book considerably more than I expected. Picked up as a last minute addition to my cobbled together library finds out of vague interest and desperation to find anything readable as quickly as I could, I was surprised to find a light-hearted tail of love and adventure that made me laugh out loud more than once. This is a story of the adventure that can happen right outside your back door and the true simplicity of love.
Steve Smith
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Tracy Hickman. This is the first novel in the Tales of the Dragon Bard. Tracy and Laura have out done themselves. This has all of the charm and wittiness of all of Hickman's novels. The story follows a bard who is collecting stories for a dragon. His scribe catalogs all of his antics and the antics of all of the villagers he encounters. I recommend this novel to everyone and can't wait for the sequel to come out.

• Journey to the Fringe (Stone Mage Wars #1)
  • Shadow Raiders (Dragon Brigade, #1)
  • Wet Magic
  • The Golden Cord (The Iron Dragon, #1)
  • Dragon in Chains (Moshui, #1)
  • The Wizard of Ooze (Ravenspell, #2)
  • Trial of Intentions (The Vault of Heaven, #2)
  • Reckless Heart
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • The Shadow Hunt
  • First World Problems (Solving For Ex #2)
  • The Intruders
  • Since You Left Me
  • Summer of the Wolves (Sisters in All Seasons #1)
  • The Faerie Door
  • My Lucky Stars
  • Silence
  • Out of the Ashes
NYT Best-selling fantasy authors Tracy Hickman, with his wife Laura, began their journey across the 'Sea of Possibilities' as the creators of 'Dragonlance' and their voyage continues into new areas with the 'Drakis' trilogy, 'Wayne of Gotham', a Batman novel for DC Comics and his 'Dragon's Bard' collector's series . Tracy has over fifty books currently in print in most languages around the world. ...more

Tales of the Dragon's Bard (3 books)
  • Blackshore (Tales of the Dragon's Bard, #2)
  • Moredale (Tales of the Dragon's Bard, #3)