What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Learning Tree and the Smoky Day
This topic is about Learning Tree and the Smoky Day
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's picture book about magic tree. [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments I read this as a child, so probably early 80s, it was probably published before that though, maybe 70s. What I remember is a boy visiting a lone tree, possibly on a hill top, and the tree imparting wisdom of some sort. Then there was something to do with pollution, I remember a picture of the tree surrounded by smog and possibly coughing and choking, and the boy having to do something to help.
I remember the pictures being quite large and taking up a fair bit of the pages.

It's definitely not the Giving Tree, the tree in my memory was male, and a bit grumpy!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4878 comments Dr. Seuess's The Lorax fits a bit.

Do you remember how the illustrations look? Were they bright, muted, realistic, cartoony, etc?

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments I actually thought the Lorax was more recent, but turns out it's from 1971! Sadly, it's not that one - I don't remember any characters other than the tree and the boy (and maybe the boy's father?) and I don't think the story was in rhyme. The illustrations were cartoony (ish) but not as bright as Dr Seuss. The tree definitely had a face and expressions though.

I'm fairly certain the title contained the word 'tree' ... when I saw the title 'the giving tree' I thought that was it, but it's not the right story... I just feel like the title may be similar - I've googled 'wishing tree', 'wise tree' etc etc with no luck.

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Go to worldcat.org advanced search. Tree in title. Your year range. Juvenile fiction book English. Browse. Google images for covers.

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments Thanks for that, I've just gone through about 20 pages but still no luck - maybe it didn't have 'tree' in the title after all.

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Try lowering year range to 1950. Browse again.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
Joss, are you still looking for this?

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments Yes, still looking! I have such a clear image of the pictures in my mind, but just can't recall the title!

message 9: by ༺Kiki༻ (last edited May 16, 2015 04:43AM) (new)

༺Kiki༻ (kim-mari) | 54 comments Originally published in 1990, so a bit later, but could it be Just a Dream?

There are smokestacks and the MC is coughing from the pollution.

message 10: by Joss (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments Thanks, but in 1990 I was 12 - I read the book I'm looking for in the early 80s.
For reference though, the pictures in the book I'm looking for were definitely brighter than those, and I pretty sure they were on every page, and took up more of the page. There wouldn't have been as much writing, it was a book for younger readers. It's the tree I remember coughing from the pollution.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
Still looking?

message 12: by Joss (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments Afraid so!

message 13: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments There's The Boy, the Bird and the Tree by Usula Furst. I couldn't find it on goodreads, but you can see a picture here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boy-Bird-Tre...

message 15: by Joss (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments Right time period, but it's not that one. The tree doesn't travel, and there's no bird character. Thanks though!

message 16: by Joss (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments Bizarrely, I've found it. Searching worldcat again and another book rang a bell - Learning Tree and the Otter. I had no idea my book was part of a series, the one I was looking for was "Learning Tree and the Smoky Day"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Tre...

message 17: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4985 comments Hurrah! I'm very glad you found it. Learning Tree and the Smoky Day for the link.

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33358 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Joss. Here's the Goodreads link - Learning Tree and the Smoky Day by Ian Page.

message 19: by Joss (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joss (illumina3) | 33 comments I was the one who added it ;-)