Start by marking “The Lorax” as Want to Read:
The Lorax

The Lorax

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  277,173 ratings  ·  4,029 reviews
"UNLESS someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...nothing is going to get better...It's not." Long before saving the earth became a global concern, Dr. Seuss, speaking through his character the Lorax, warned against mindless progress and the danger it posed to the earth's natural beauty. His classic cautionary tale is now available in an irresistible mini-edition, perfe ...more
Published February 24th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Lorax, please sign up.
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldAnimal Farm by George OrwellNineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
Best Books of the 20th Century
7,556 books — 49,290 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
51,159 books — 200,439 voters

More lists with this book...

·  277,173 ratings  ·  4,029 reviews

Start your review of The Lorax
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-20th-c, kids
Now who would have thought that Seuss back in the 60’s would have already been concerned about the destruction of the environment – so much so that he wrote this incredible and addictive story (asked for by my son two to three times a week). My kid is always asking me about the Once-ler “Why can’t we see his body? Why did he make the Barba-loots go away? Why did he cut down the Truffula tree? What is a Thneed?” The lessons are so simple and yet so subtle here – and it is great on so many differe ...more
Petra-X
Jun 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
January 2015

A one-paragraph review of a children's book I didn't like has generated more trolls and their inevitable sock puppet alteregos than any other of my reviews, I've lost count of the number of them. I delete some of their comments, some delete their own (and their profiles), some GR do. But what is there about this review or about the book that generates this kind of over-the-top reaction from obviously mentally-unstable individuals?
_____

Maybe I'm just not a Dr. Seuss person but I hate
Archit Ojha
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks

Oh Lorax, what did we make of your world.

Your beasts that were,

The trees that were dear.

The Lorax project is a commendable effort on behalf of Dr. Seuss Enterprise and Random House.

Apprises the children of the fact that they just might be the last generation seeing a lot of things.
Tim
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
You can have your Silent Spring and Inconvenient Truth. The Lorax and his lesson of unless is, to me, the most moving piece of environmental literature ever. It shows that a) good children's literature doesn't have to be simplistic or happy to be effective and b) that you certainly need not be a member of a political group to appreciate the message that our drive to industrialize must not happen at the expense of our planet.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Lorax, Dr. Seuss
The Lorax is a children's book written by Dr. Seuss and first published in 1971. It chronicles the plight of the environment and the Lorax is the titular character, who "speaks for the trees" and confronts the Once-ler, who causes environmental destruction. As in most Dr. Seuss books, the creatures mentioned are typically unique to the story. A young unnamed boy living in a polluted area visits a strange isolated man called the Once-ler on the Street of the Lifted Lorax. The
Alejandro
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another of the very best books by Dr. Seuss!

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!!!

UNLESS someone like you.

cares a whole awful lot,

nothing is going to get better.

It’s not.

This is one other of the best ever tales by Dr. Seuss.

Like, The Sneetches was crafted in the 60s, it’s not wonder that The Lorax was conceived in 1971, since it was the decade where ecology finally became a relevant issue in the conscience of people.

A powerful story showing in a very open way, how grimm will be our future
Karina
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have continuously read this book since watching the film bc I believe in its message about saving Mother Earth and the trees. I am not a tree hugger but I love my toilet paper and my paperback books and I believe all our God given gifts should be treasured and saved esp from these greedy, nasty corporations that only care about the money coming in.

That being said, I'm not into all the rhyming thneads and so on but the kiddoes love it. They are the target and I hope they come to understand the
[Shai] Bibliophage

I saw the movie adaptation of this classic children's story on 2012. What I liked about the movie version is that there's a closure to the story while the readers were leave to their own imagination on what happened. Both the book and movie adaptation are highly recommended because it reminds us to care on our environment.
Ronyell
“The Lorax” is one of Dr. Seuss’ most memorable books as it is about the importance of taking care of all of the trees in the world. “The Lorax” may have some controversial issues, but it is still a great book for both children and adults to treasure for many years.

Dr. Seuss’ story about how chopping down too many trees can destroy the Earth’s environment is truly powerful and moving as it realistically portrays what can happen to the environment when trees are cut down through Dr. Seuss’ childi
Gary
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Should teach children not to be greedy and what the evils of unbridled capitalism do tobeautiful things.
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 A wonderful story with a POWERFUL message! ★'s

Oh. My. Goodness! *in a singsong voice* I love, I love, I loovvve, The Lorax :) Seriously though this book right here is so so special! I know I say this like all the time but whatever... this is another one of my FAVORITE Dr. Seuss books. I mean HELLO it's Dr. Seuss for crying out loud, of course, it's amazing. I love all of his crazy, weird, cute, u
Mir
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, poetry
The moment when you realize that the Lorax needed Dr. Dre.
Robert Bickers
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so it's a heavy-handed enviromental terror-tale. It's also the Seuss book that stuck with me the longest. Of all the books I read as a little kid, it's the one that I still remember making me feel something.

I'm a conservationist-not an environmentalist by any stretch. The Lorax didn't teach me to hate industry or chew on organically-sustainable bark. It taught me to care about nature. To this day, decades after I read and re-read it, the drawing of the barren wasteland still gets to me.
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Hate to see less than 5 Stars for a Seuss!

I'm taking my Grand-girl to the the movie [her first IMAX] today and remembered I should rate in GR.

I was raised on Seuss, my kids were raised on Seuss and now a third generation. What is not to love?

Happy Reading!
Trish
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love books by Dr. Seuss in general, but The Lorax is definitely and by far my absolute favourite!

Now, for any who have seen the film and not read the book yet, I should say that the book is slightly different, because the story is slightly shorter, which would not have worked for a movie.

Nevertheless, or maybe exactly because of this, the book with its' magnificently cute drawings and wonderful rhymes is even more beautiful.
A very important book to teach people (not just kids) about the impor
فؤاد
UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not!
La Coccinelle
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I didn't think I'd read this one, but as I turned the pages, the memories started to come back to me. It was the Brown Bar-ba-loots that stuck in my head for some reason...

In any case, this is a rather modern-sounding tale about conservation. It's just as appropriate for today's audiences as it would have been when it was first published. The Lorax contains a story within a story told by a mysterious character called the Once-ler, who tells of a time when Truffula Trees grew plentiful, supplying
Andrea
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
So, I understand that this book was written a long time ago, before this kind of environmental fairy tale was popularized, and perhaps when it was needed more. But it still seems like a total straw man (hello? can't you just plant your own grove of sustainable truffula trees?). And does the Lorax have to be such a jerk about everything? Maybe he could propose some sort of compromise . . . I guess as a kids' book it's supposed to be simple for kids to understand, but kids aren't that dumb. I like ...more
Skylar Burris
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This gets five stars for being beautifully written, and one for being heavy handed, which averages out to four for me. I'm a conservationist, but there is no nuance in The Lorax's presentation of environmentalism: the book simply demonizes business.

The Once-ler is an extreme negative caricature of the capitalist: what he offers society as an entrepreneur is not valuable in any way, he has no regard for anything but his own profit, and he proceeds with reckless abandon. Of course, in a world tha
Lata
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book horrifying and tragic when I first read it. And every time after, which was several. And the Lorax stating that he spoke for the trees because they could not stuck with me always.
Sophia Triad
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Clueless and greedy Once-ler cuts all the Truffula trees in a beautiful land to create something useless. Lorax is the only sentient being that tries to defend the trees.

Lorax: “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.”

Once-ler regrets what he did. The land is destroyed and the Lorax has disappeared.

Once-ler: “But now, now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is g
Saajid Hosein
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
holy shit this 65 page book was deep lol
Tina
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my three kids. They loved the story, and I love the meaning behind the story.
Anne
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-children
A great book, especially if you want to impress on your children why conservation of resources is so important. It seems Dr. Seuss was way ahead of his times.
Hákon Gunnarsson
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think The Lorax is very topical children’s book even though it was first published in 1971. It seems to fit right into the dialog taking place about ecological matters today. If one would for example read this with the destruction of the Amazon in mind. Reading it really feels like it was written as an response to that, but of course it wasn’t. It kind of tells one how little has changed in 50 years.

We still need someone to talk for the trees, the animals, the birds, the fish, and for nature a
Cruth
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not.

Author/Illustrator: Dr Seuss
First published: 1971

The ankle-biter had seen the animated movie The Lorax with her cousins and was keen to read the book. I was wary because a) I understood the movie was substantially different to the book, and b) her reading ability (vocab and comprehension) IMO surpassed Dr Seuss. BUT she'd been "studying" Dr Seuss at school in relation to poetry so I picked up the book and mo
Cynthia Austin
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Review from my eight year old*

I like this book because of the storyline. I would recomend this book for you, too. The best part that I like is when the Onceler chops down the very last Truffala tree because then he learns his lesson to not chop down nature.
Jason
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Has nobody read this book? All these years and we are still chopping down trees, creating loads of pollution and happily killing off animals.

This has to be Dr. Seuss's most serious book, he tones down the silliness and tries to get across his warning. The illustrations are wonderful, the start is so bleak and drab, all shades of grey and once the story gets told the colours are so vivid they jump out of the page at you, only for you to watch the grey come back as the trees get cut down.

Wonderful
Rottgrl88
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children

This was such a nice story with a strong message. We must protect nature and do everything we can to be environmentally friendly. Mother nature is a strong force and if we aren't careful, one of these days she will show her wrath. Always remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Show love to nature and animals.
The Lorax - Dr.Seuss 1 4 May 30, 2020 07:23AM
The Lorax 1 3 Sep 04, 2019 03:03AM
movie vs. book 50 268 May 19, 2019 06:47PM

• The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Giving Tree
  • Goodnight Moon
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • The BFG
  • Corduroy
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • Matilda
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Are You My Mother?
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • The Velveteen Rabbit
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The Witches