Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Scarrow, Alex - Time Riders (Time Riders #1) - Start Date March 12 (March 2014 Young Adult BOM)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod

TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow

Be prepared for Spoilers!

Synopsis:

Liam O’Connor should have died at sea in 1912.
Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010.
Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026.

Yet moments before death, someone mysteriously appeared and said, ‘Take my hand ...’

But Liam, Maddy and Sal aren’t rescued. They are recruited by an agency that no one knows exists, with only one purpose—to fix broken history. Because time travel is here, and there are those who would go back in time and change the past. That’s why the TimeRiders exist: to protect us. To stop time travel from destroying the world...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 13, 2014 05:12PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPDQCs*
March 12 1 - 15 1 - 51 Lisarenee
March 13 16 - 26 52 - 100 Sonia
March 14 27 - 36 101 - 154
March 15 37 - 49 155 - 207
March 16 50 - 58 208 - 256
March 17 59 - 70 257 - 315
March 18 72 - End 316 - end

*PPDQCs = Person Posting Daily Questions and Comments

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I will join this one

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 43 comments Loved this one! Read it a year or so ago

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 650 comments I'll join.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisa_pizza) just bought it, i will join!

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reading schedule is posted in the second post.

message 8: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 12, 2014 12:35PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Welcome Bridget and everyone else. I hope we'll have fun with this one.

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

1) So I got a feeling of déjà vu with this one as I recalled the movie Millenium from 1989. In it, people are rescued from a plane crash and other fatal tragedies so they can help repopulate a dying world. Not exactly the same as this book, but I always thought the idea of snatching someone up before a tragedy was a brilliant one so the movie stuck. What did you think of the rescues? I'm still scratching my head as to why they took someone from the Titanic. In a modern world, what kind of skill set could they possibly bring to the table?

2) I don't know about anyone else, but I love the thought of time travel, but I always wondered who concocted all the "dangers" (Was it HG Wells?) that are associated with it. There's the danger of preventing one's own birth, the danger of changing one's own future, the danger changing the world's future and the danger of meeting one's own self and creating a time conundrum which would cause all sorts of problems perhaps even creating a rip in time. That last one always had me wondering. What aspects of time travel do you like? What do you think would pose the biggest problem?

3) So they're snatching people who are virtually unknown to be TimeRiders. How did they get all the information on these people? I'd think obtaining specific records from the age of the Titanic would be difficult. Any ideas on how he's choosing the teams? Who would you snatch from history for a team if you could? I keep thinking they should have picked Amelia Earhart.

4) So the inventor of the time machine created it to say goodbye to his wife and child. If he'd saved them before their last moments, how would that have been different from snatching people from time to police it? Would you have been able to go back in time to say goodbye to your family and not save them? Hopefully, we'll find out why the inventor so strongly believed this to be true. Could something have happened?

5) It looks like their are two sets of individuals to be following--the TimeRiders under Foster's care and the ones plotting to steal the time machine under Kramer's command. Are you having any trouble keeping the two separate? Do you think they'll end up fighting against each other or do you think they'll end up working for the same side? Thoughts? I'm guessing they'll be going up against one another.

6) So has the author pulled you into the story and caught your attention yet? What intrigues you most at this point?

message 10: by Imke (last edited Mar 14, 2014 04:35AM) (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 – 15

1) So I got a feeling of déjà vu with this one as I recalled the movie Milleniumfrom 1989. In it, people are rescued from a plane crash and other fatal tragedies so they can help repopulate a dying world. Not exactly the same as this book, but I always thought the idea of snatching someone up before a tragedy was a brilliant one so the movie stuck. What did you think of the rescues? I'm still scratching my head as to why they took someone from the Titanic. In a modern world, what kind of skill set could they possibly bring to the table?
I don’t know, maybe he is able to think quickly on his feet. That seems like a good asset and that is not dependent on the time in which you were born. Or he is brave.

2) I don't know about anyone else, but I love the thought of time travel, but I always wondered who concocted all the "dangers" (Was it HG Wells?) that are associated with it. There's the danger of preventing one's own birth, the danger of changing one's own future, the danger changing the world's future and the danger of meeting one's own self and creating a time conundrum which would cause all sorts of problems perhaps even creating a rip in time. That last one always had me wondering. What aspects of time travel do you like? What do you think would pose the biggest problem?
What I like about time travel is that you are able to see major historical events. What scares me most is what has been described in the book that even a small change can have very large effects in the future it’s something you don’t have any influence on. I keep thinking about the movie The Butterfly Effect and the book 11/22/63 by Stephen King by Stephen King (wonderful book by the way)

3) So they're snatching people who are virtually unknown to be TimeRiders. How did they get all the information on these people? I'd think obtaining specific records from the age of the Titanic would be difficult. Any ideas on how he's choosing the teams? Who would you snatch from history for a team if you could? I keep thinking they should have picked Amelia Earhart.
I don’t know how he’s choosing team members, but I think I know why he chose them in part. It’s because they should have died in those catastrophes and their bodies would be gone. I think that would be a problem if you go for famous people, their faces are known and they would stand out.

4) So the inventor of the time machine created it to say goodbye to his wife and child. If he'd saved them before their last moments, how would that have been different from snatching people from time to police it? Would you have been able to go back in time to say goodbye to your family and not save them? Hopefully, we'll find out why the inventor so strongly believed this to be true. Could something have happened?
If you noticed the people that were snatched were supposed to die in accidents where there would be no questions when bodies would not be found. I think that’s why he has told them they would be like ghosts in time. I think something horrible happened when he went back in time.

5) It looks like their are two sets of individuals to be following--the TimeRiders under Foster's care and the ones plotting to steal the time machine under Kramer's command. Are you having any trouble keeping the two separate? Do you think they'll end up fighting against each other or do you think they'll end up working for the same side? Thoughts? I'm guessing they'll be going up against one another.
Not yet, I think the second set of people are the ones the TimeRiders are supposed to fighting against.

6) So has the author pulled you into the story and caught your attention yet? What intrigues you most at this point?
Yes, I’m pulled in. What intrigues me most is what has happened to Saleena, we did not get her story and that Maddy has to relive 9/11 over and over again.

message 11: by Clare (new)

Clare Butler | 294 comments I'm in as I've just finished the last BOM!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisa_pizza) 1) I, too, am wondering why they chose to bring Liam into the group. The only reason I could come up with is that this is a children's book and the author probably can't assume that all children are brushed up on their world history. If the rest of the book is going to take place between 1940 and present day, the author can use Liam as an excuse to have explanations within the book of what went down during certain historical moments without breaking the third wall, because Liam will need the explanation since it is after his time.

2) I like ALL aspects of time travel, haha. I'm a Whovian so I love love love time travel stories. Being a Whovian, also, I never did see any huge problem with time travel, because the Doctor has pretty much encountered them all and resolved them all. There's always a solution.

3) Virtually unknown people who are about to die is imperative for this team. That way they won't be missed. Going to mention a detail that comes up later, because I'm flying through this book... (view spoiler) I think Amelia Earhart is a wonderful person for TimeRiders! She did disappear afterall! Perfect coincidence.

4) I think maybe he did save them. Maybe he saved them and then went back to the present time and discovered a totally changed world. So he went back again and corrected his misdeed but all that WE saw was a one time trip because he reversed what he had changed. I think that's what happened for him to become so adamant against time travel.

5) I'm guessing they'll go up against one another. Reading between the two groups of people doesn't bother me. I've read Game of Thrones.

6) What intrigues me the most is the author's choice to stage their headquarters during 9/11. That does NOT sit well with me. I kinda understand his reasoning, that no one remembers the little details of 9/10 and 9/11, and they'll remain inconspicuous but still. Thank god the kids who read this never went through that day (now I feel old) but if they had, like me, it would not be a situation you can imagine living through an unending cycle. As we read forward it doesn't seem to hold much focus on that particular detail, so I'm letting it go.

message 13: by Clare (last edited Mar 12, 2014 02:27PM) (new)

Clare Butler | 294 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

1) So I got a feeling of déjà vu with this one as I recalled the movie Millenium from 1989. In it, people are rescued from a plane crash and other fatal tragedies so they can help repopulate a dying world. Not exactly the same as this book, but I always thought the idea of snatching someone up before a tragedy was a brilliant one so the movie stuck. What did you think of the rescues? I'm still scratching my head as to why they took someone from the Titanic. In a modern world, what kind of skill set could they possibly bring to the table?

I haven’t watched that film but it sounds very similar doesn’t it? The rescues were interesting, and quite exciting, especially the first one as you didn’t know what was going to happen. I’m intrigued with Sal because we don’t really know much about her rescue yet do we? I wonder if the time machine has to be navigated like a ship – although he is only one of the serving staff isn’t he? Surely by having him from the past it just causes more problems than he solves as there are so many things he doesn’t know about?

I love the idea of time travel too although when I start thinking about it too much it gets me all confused. I guess meeting yourself would be freaky although you could convince yourself in the past that it wasn’t really you. Has anyone watched Oblivion with Tom Cruise? He meets himself in that film.

Yes, surely they could have picked people with amazing, well-known skills rather than just ordinary people. It’s hard to pick a team when we don’t yet know what they are going to have to do. But, thinking about it, the pilot who landed the plane in the Hudson would be a good bet I reckon. Perhaps a really famous doctor as we might need some medical care.

I don’t think I could ever go back and see my husband and child and not save them. That would be just too cruel for everyone involved. I suppose snatching people to be Timeriders is a bit different as you are snatching them so that they can be hidden people but if he had saved his family then they would have been ordinary people who could later change history themselves. I guess the Timeriders can’t change history themselves. I wonder what happened to the inventor to make him want to smash it up?

Timeriders are the goodies and the Kramer boys are the baddies aren’t they? I’m not struggling at the moment but then I am making a big effort to check the year at the top of each chapter as that is letting me know who we are talking about. I wonder if they will clash – good and evil and all that

I’m loving it so far! Have they made a film about this as it really lends itself to a movie. I am excited to find out what they are going to be doing and how they are going to go back in time to save things without altering history themselves. What part of history will they go to? Will the girl speak to her cousin before he goes into the twin towers on 9/11? Brilliant so far!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 43 comments Loved this book and went straight to #2 and 3 after finishing. (Two years ago) I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

message 15: by Yzabel (last edited Mar 12, 2014 03:44PM) (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 160 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

1)I'm still wondering as well about why those three kids were picked, what their skills were. There seems to be a pattern, though, to what should've been their demise: working on a ship when you're afraid of water; boarding a plane when you're scared of flying... Perhaps there's something to do with bravery here?
Another explanation could be (as some others have mentioned) having Liam as "exposition character", to whom things have to be explained for younger readers to catch up on. But I hope it's not the case.

2) I have no idea who came up with the dangers associated to time travel, but they seem fairly logical to me, so maybe they also seemed logical to all the other writers before me? ^^
What I like best are theories of time as something non-linear, branching out into different timelines as soon as a change is effected. It makes writing a story in such a setting extremely complicated, but it allows for many other tricks.

3) I guess the information Foster (and his people?) got was from missing persons reports, and then they pieced back their pasts? Going for people whose bodies were never recovered (drowned for Liam, burnt to a crisp for Maddy and Sal) isn't a bad idea per se, since no one will realise they're not "gone" as in "dead", but gone as in vanished from their original time. It doesn't interfere with time, since they're supposed to be "erased" anyway, contrary to people who might have more skills, but whose time hasn't come yet. Also, the despair factor might play a part: so far Foster's only recruited a) people who were about to die, whose options were very limited, b) young people, who're more likely to chose life without thinking than, say, a 90-year-old granny who's lived a full life.

4) At this point, I think we're still missing too much information to decide if he tried to save them, succeeded or failed, and what impact it had. Maybe he did save them, saw that the result caused something awful, and went back in time to "fix" this by letting them die? Kind of like what happens in Doctor Who (view spoiler).

Not sure I'd be able to go back in time and NOT save my family. I'd have to exert a lot of willpower to do that, and I just can't be sure.

5) Following two sets of individuals isn't a problem, so far we have the places + dates on tope of it, so the author makes it quite easy for us.
I think the chapters about Kramer may be part of what Foster is going to teach to his new team, only in a more dynamic way (for us readers) than just having him tell the events. Which would be good. Kramer may be the reason why the TimeRiders came to be, because he stole the machine to try and change something in the past? Or maybe I'm totally mistaken and they're going to clash about something else. It's too early to tell.

6) Hm, yes and no, but that's because of the info-dumping about time travel (on the other hand, I'd also find it hard to properly insert such theories in a story without an info-dump at some point; IHMO time travelling is one of the hardest things to pull in SF).
I hope we soon learn about what happened to Sal, and that she gets to have her own "rescue chapter" just like the others.
The 9/11 choice may be a little too "easy" a moment in time (I'm not from the USA, so I guess it just didn't have the same impact on me at the time, although I was seriously WTFed by it all no matter what). However, it looks like this date is going to be important for Maddy mostly: for Sal, it's history, and Liam may be just too disconnected. I'm willing to bet Maddy will have a hard time at some point, not talking to Julian, not trying to do something... and then the two days will start over and she'll be screwed anyway?

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Ack. Will join in as soon as I can. Book is on hold at the library and is due back soon from who has it out currently.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kelly wrote: "Ack. Will join in as soon as I can. Book is on hold at the library and is due back soon from who has it out currently."

Just join in when you can. It's the reason we set them up this way. :)

message 18: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 12, 2014 08:35PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Imke said...

"I don’t know, maybe he is able to think quickly on his feet. That seems like a good asset and that is not dependent on the time in which you were born. Or he is brave."

He did stay back to make sure all the passengers were out. Perhaps you're on to something with the brave.

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Yzabel said...

"What I like best are theories of time as something non-linear, branching out into different timelines as soon as a change is effected. It makes writing a story in such a setting extremely complicated, but it allows for many other tricks.

Very true.

"I think that would be a problem if you go for famous people, their faces are known and they would stand out."

I don't know. I bet Amelia could walk around today and nobody would give her a second glance. You are right that some of the more famous people probably couldn't unless they got a complete make over.

message 20: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 12, 2014 08:39PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lisa Said,...

1) I, too, am wondering why they chose to bring Liam into the group. The only reason I could come up with is that this is a children's book and the author probably can't assume that all children are brushed up on their world history. If the rest of the book is going to take place between 1940 and present day, the author can use Liam as an excuse to have explanations within the book of what went down during certain historical moments without breaking the third wall, because Liam will need the explanation since it is after his time.

Okay now you have me thinking about my kids Magic Tree House books. lol You could be right though. We'll have to see if there's an explanation.

message 21: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Clare said...

"Has anyone watched Oblivion with Tom Cruise? He meets himself in that film."

I don't think I have, now I'll have to try to see it.

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Yzabel said...

What intrigues me the most is the author's choice to stage their headquarters during 9/11. That does NOT sit well with me. I kinda understand his reasoning, that no one remembers the little details of 9/10 and 9/11, and they'll remain inconspicuous but still. Thank god the kids who read this never went through that day (now I feel old) but if they had, like me, it would not be a situation you can imagine living through an unending cycle. As we read forward it doesn't seem to hold much focus on that particular detail, so I'm letting it go.

It hadn't even occurred to me they were transported to that time period. Perhaps it has to do with placing people at certain events with outcomes that effect the future. You know the, "if this one event never transpired, then everything else would have been okay" way of thinking? They are supposed to be preventing history from being erased.

message 23: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments You know, I forgot to address the creature that lurked in the time stream. Wonder what that is all about? From another dimension he said? This could get very interesting.

message 24: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 160 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I don't know. I bet Amelia could walk around today and nobody would give her a second glance. You are right that some of the more famous people probably couldn't unless they got a complete make over."

For me, the problem would be more in the past, in the way people from the past would react to someone very famous disappearing. For instance, president Obama suddenly disappearing would certainly prompt a lot of conspiracy theories—just like we're still talking today of JFK's assassination. (Or all the so-called Elvis sightings.) Even 50-60 years in the future, someone very famous could be a liability in terms of staying under the radar, if only because the person would attract too much attention before people would hcalk it up to "it's just a look-alike".

But I agree it depends on how famous they would've been in their time, and on how history reacted to them. Some people were very famous when alive, then quickly got forgotten after their death... and the contrary, too, of course.

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Mar 13, 2014 09:52AM) (new)

Lisa (lisa_pizza) Lisarenee wrote: "Clare said...

"Has anyone watched Oblivion with Tom Cruise? He meets himself in that film."

I don't think I have, now I'll have to try to see it."

But that wasn't time travel. He was being cloned and used as a tool. Was about to compare it to another move and totally spoil the plot... oops. It doesn't deserve that. Anyway, yeah, clones...

message 26: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 840 comments Hi Everyone. I would like to join in if its not too late. Trying to get back into the group and reading again and I have this book on my Kindle so it seems like its meant to be.

message 27: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kristin wrote: "Hi Everyone. I would like to join in if its not too late. Trying to get back into the group and reading again and I have this book on my Kindle so it seems like its meant to be."

It's never too late Kristin. Welcome to the discussion

message 28: by Zonnah (new)

Zonnah | 457 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Zonnah (new)

Zonnah | 457 comments Lisa wrote: " Reading between the two groups of people doesn't bother me. I've read Game of Thrones."

I was thinking the same thing.

message 30: by Zonnah (last edited Mar 13, 2014 02:42PM) (new)

Zonnah | 457 comments Clare wrote: "I’m loving it so far! Have they made a film about this as it really lends itself to a movie."

It would make a good movie.

message 31: by Clare (new)

Clare Butler | 294 comments Lisa wrote aboutOblivion being about clones

Yes you're right, I forgot about that. Just remembered he met himself

message 32: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 840 comments 1)I have never seen that movie but I like the idea. I was thinking maybe they snatched him because he helped rescue the mother and child? But other than that I was trying to think what someone from 1912 who doesn't know anything about the world they are put into could contribute to the team.

2) Time travel is so weird to me and maybe I am the only one but I personally hope it is never accomplished. That would be too much of a risk I think like in the book. A ripple could affect so much. Did anybody see the movie Looper with Bruce Willis? People from the past are sent into the future to be killed and he is supposed to kill himself but cant... yeah that's what I think of.

3) I am not really sure what 2 16-year olds and a 13-year old could really contribute to defending this time bubble. I would pick older people who might have some actual skill set to contribute like a police officer, soldier, etc. I am guessing they still age as normal in this time bubble?

4) I don't think I would have been able to go back and just say goodbye. I would want to do something to change it. I am also guessing that is what happens with this time bubble being based on 9/11 and Maddy's cousin being part of that. How would these kids be able to watch 9/11 over and over and over again and not try to do something to prevent it or save someone? I think something happened when the inventor would back to say goodbye to them that makes him realize how dangerous it is or he somehow saved them and brought them forward and nobody knows.

5) I think they will be against each other also. Sometimes I was confused by it because I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be also going back in time to when they found the time machine after the inventor hid it or if it is happening at the same time as whatever "real" year it is supposed to be. But maybe I missed that part...

6) I wouldn't say that he has pulled me in but I like the idea behind the book. I think I am most intrigued more about the time bubbles and this agency that is supposedly policing time travel.

message 33: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 16 - 26

7)We have Time Travel. Artificial in vitro units and computers inserted into brain cells. Terminator much? Maybe that's why Liam's last name is O'Connor?

8)So Sal is an observer and Maddie the analyst. What did you think about the training? And what will be Liam's talent? Maybe it has to do with him saving the mother and child and risking his own life to make sure nobody else was on the deck?

9) What do you think is Kramer's mission? I confess as soon as I saw 1941 the first thought was Oh now, they going to kill Einstein. Maybe changing something that causes Germany to win the war?

10)The book so far seems a little unfair to the TimeRiders. OK, so they would be dead if not for the mission. But reliving the same day over and over, seeing always the same things? Liam having to be completely under water when his biggest fear is to drown?

11)So they saved president Kennedy. For now. I may be over analyzing it but that doesn't sound a "little change" to me. Who knows what the effects can be? Any theories?

12)100 pages into the book. What do you think about the writing style and world building?

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

I am not that surprised Liam was taken because if they are going to be policing time traveling, some of those areas will probably be in the past. So the kids must have been taken for skills not related to their current time - like intelligence, creativity, etc. I am really surprised Maddie agreed to the rescue. She took him at this word that the plane was going to crash. How did she know he wasn't just mentally ill? Liam at least knew his death was a sure thing.

I enjoy time travel books too, but I sometimes have a hard time following the logic. :)

I don't know! It makes me wonder if they scouted out the kids before choosing them. It sounds like they are willing to time travel for the purpose of policing it.

I think that would be way too hard to go back in time to say goodbye to your spouse and then not save them. I wonder if he found out something about his wife he didn't like and realized it would have been better just to have her memory.

I have been able to follow the two groups. I think they will go against each other too.

Yes, I am pulled into the story. Right now I want to know why the time machine creator completely changed his mind about time travel.

message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 650 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

The rescues were really different, but I liked them. I do wonder what makes the TimeRiders choose the people they choose, why these specific kids? If the whole plane is crashing what makes Maddie so special? And how does he know so much about them...especially Liam? It'll be interesting to see how he knows so much about them.

I love the idea of time travel, the idea that instead of just reading about some historical event or place you could visit it is so amazing to imagine! However if it ever became a reality I could see so much trouble being caused by it. People would think they could stop so many terrible things from happening or abuse it by going into the future and then using that knowledge for their own benefit.

I have no idea how he's choosing the teams, but I can't wait to find out! I can't think of anyone I would pick for a team. Who knows, maybe they did... :)

I can't imagine going back in time to just before my family dies and not trying to change it. I'm thinking he did save his family, since he lied about destroying the machine he could of lied about that too.

It hasn't been an issue yet. I think they'll be fighting each other too.

Absolutely! I hated having to stop when I did, but I knew I had to to answer these questions :) The idea of them living in a time bubble. I'm curious if this means they'll have to watch out not to cross they own paths or if everything about them will disappear.

message 36: by Yzabel (last edited Mar 14, 2014 01:49AM) (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 160 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 16 - 26

7) Maybe. There are Terminator references, too, with Arnie. I'm not sure if there's more to it than references, though. (Although I was surprised Liam didn't react when someone said "John Connor". ;))

8) I want to see more of this training thing, because we've only brushed its surface so far. I have no idea about Liam's role yet. Maybe it's also a test for him, to see if he'll be able to remain passive when it's time to "right" this part again and let JFK die? In other words, not save the mother and child again, in a metaphoric way?

9) Maybe they want Germany to win the war, indeed, or maybe it's something else. They landed in Bavaria, so I'm not sure it'd have anything to do with killing Einstein (or any other scientist who was already in the USA at the time). Events in April 1941 are mainly centred around Yugoslavia and Greece, if I'm not mistaken; perhaps something to do with a battle, with the invasion? Maybe they're here to kill Hitler (Göring not being appointed as his successor yet at this point), and what they want to stop, what would make history "the way it should have been" in their minds, isn't linked to Germany winning, but to Germany losing sooner? They have German-sounding names, crew-cut hair, military training, etc., but because they look the part doesn't mean they're neo-Nazi either. (OK, this being a YA novel, they're probably bad guys, but you know, I like envisioning other hypotheses. ^^)
I'm not too sure about that part yet, mostly because "Hitler" and "time travel" have already been put together too often to my taste, and I'd like to see something else happen. Although at this point in the reading, we don't know yet, so I'm waiting.

10) Yes, the part about the water was a cruel joke of sorts. And reliving the same day, always... My guess is that Foster hasn't told them everything. Perhaps teams end up committing suicide, and/or become mad, because after a while, they can't take it anymore? Maybe the previous team didn't die because of a seeker...

11) Not a little change for me either, and not something necessarily positive. JFK ended up a kind of legend, but would he have been such a great man if he had lived? What of the Civil Rights (laws passed under LBJ, after all), of the Vietnam War? Would those have happened, been pushed back, not happened? Would the 25th Amendment have been passed? I'm eager to see what effect this will act on the 2001 New York.
(Also, do I sense a pattern here, with the author using events that had a huge impact on the US psyche? JFK's assassination, 9/11...)

12) Interesting world building so far, although I'm still questioning a few choices (why teenagers, for instance). The way the chapters are ordered sometimes makes me wonder if spacing them differently wouldn't have worked better, created more suspense—but this may just be me and my personal preferences. As for the writing style, it's a little simple; on the other hand, I wasn't expecting more, I admit.

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments This one looks interesting so I thought I'd jump in and catch up.

Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

I haven't seen Millenium (might have to now). I agree with Lisa, I think Liam might be a good way for the author to explain certain concepts/history to younger readers. I think he will also have certain personality traits that make him good for policing. And the fact that his body would never have been recovered means no one will notice he has gone missing from the past.

I love time travel theories too. The concept of small things making big changes, like the movie The Butterfly Efffect.

I think rhey are choosing people who are destined to die, whose bodies would never have been recovered, who are young enough to train but mature enough to understand the big picture, and not likely to be recognised.

I agree with Lisa on this one too. I think he did go back and save them, maybe multiple times and it kept making an even bigger mess of the future, so he had to go back and stop himself. I haven't watched much Dr Who, but I do think I remember a Simpsons episode that was a bit like that, with a time travel toaster.

Good guys, bad guys I think.

I'm in, I want to read more. It's an easy YA read, with interesting concepts that hopfully wont fry my brain (it needs a rest after some of the twists I've read through lately)

message 38: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Lisa Said,...

1) I, too, am wondering why they chose to bring Liam into the group. The only reason I could come up with is that this is a children's book and the author probably can't assume that all children are brushed up on their world history. ......

Okay now you have me thinking about my kids Magic Tree House books. lol You could be right though. We'll have to see if there's an explanation.
"

I've been reading Magic Treehouse with my kids too.

message 39: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Zonnah wrote: "Lisa wrote: " Reading between the two groups of people doesn't bother me. I've read Game of Thrones."

I was thinking the same thing."

Me too.
Yes Zonnah, I followed you here.....

message 40: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 16 – 26

7)We have Time Travel. Artificial in vitro units and computers inserted into brain cells. Terminator much? Maybe that's why Liam's last name is O'Connor?
Hihi maybe that’s why. I like the movie references in the book, maybe that’s why there is a character in there from “our” time.

8)So Sal is an observer and Maddie the analyst. What did you think about the training? And what will be Liam's talent? Maybe it has to do with him saving the mother and child and risking his own life to make sure nobody else was on the deck?
There is not much training I think, he just explained to them why he wanted them in this team and what he thinks their capabilities are. I think it’s Liam’s talent that he wants to help people and he is brave (except fer when there is a lot of water around).

9) What do you think is Kramer's mission? I confess as soon as I saw 1941 the first thought was Oh now, they going to kill Einstein. Maybe changing something that causes Germany to win the war?
Or maybe something that will end it sooner. I like this book, it’s a history lesson rolled into a fun story.

10)The book so far seems a little unfair to the TimeRiders. OK, so they would be dead if not for the mission. But reliving the same day over and over, seeing always the same things? Liam having to be completely under water when his biggest fear is to drown?
Seeing the same thing every day is also going to make them see subtle changes earlier. And for Liam’s fear I think he’ll get used to it otherwise he has Bob to pull him under.

11)So they saved president Kennedy. For now. I may be over analyzing it but that doesn't sound a "little change" to me. Who knows what the effects can be? Any theories?
Have you read 11/22/63 by Stephen King by Stephen King, it gives a nice description of what could happen when you change what happened. They didn’t just change a little thing.

12)100 pages into the book. What do you think about the writing style and world building?
I like the style, the switches between the two storylines are not irritating me yet, I think they are nicely done and I can’t wait to see what the “evil” storyline is going to be. There is not to much world building, it was a smart move of the author to set the TimeRider storyline in a time not to for off recent times and that he has a character from this decade.

message 41: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 15

Yes, that is nagging at me. He will have a LOT to catch up. 100 years is a big difference. Specially when looking ath the 20th century.

I don't like time travel. Shocking, I know, but I never liked it. The only exception is the back from the future trilogy.
Besides killing a buterfly in a pre-historic age and cause dinossaurs to rule the earth? I think a lot of bad things can happen. I think the main temptation is trying to see some loved ones you lost one last time, or to try save them. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist that.

I had to google Amelia Earhart. I'm not sure picking some important personality would be a good move. If they want to police time, they are prone to have to go back... they risk a lot of exposure.

If he tried to save them, then he would change history, not having a reason to make a time machine, and all that resulted from him building it

The second one is more probable since nobody carries a lot of equipment to not try to change something. And the TimeRiders are suposed to maintain things as they happened. Altough, if they change history, shouldn't their historical records change too?

Yes. I'm a sucker for books when POV's change from one time to the other. Now I want to know what to happen

message 42: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Lisarenee wrote: "You know, I forgot to address the creature that lurked in the time stream. Wonder what that is all about? From another dimension he said? This could get very interesting."

That creature seems scary. What if one of them is caught in that dimension plunge? It was too fast to have any idea...

message 43: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments @Imke:

No I don't read Stephen King. Tried twice, had nightmares for a month, so I put him on the list of the "not for now" authors.

Myabe I should try that one, although me + time travel + history are not a good combination.

message 44: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Well this book is much different from his other work. Also the MC travels back to only one point in time. To me it was more a book about love and the effects your actions have on others. It's not a horror story.

message 45: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Good to know. Maybe I try it someday. A very shaky maybe.

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisa_pizza) I just wanna jump on question #11 cause I thought this was a clever part of the book...

They didn't save president Kennedy. They prevented Oswald from being the one who killed him. Kennedy still got shot in that time stream but by someone else further down the street. Foster explained the entire assassination as a conspiracy and there were multiple people with their sights set on Kennedy. He was going to get killed one way or the other that day. I like that, I thought it was clever. Plays up on the conspiracy theories out there surrounding his assassination.

message 47: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm in 47% and although this book is intriguing and with some interesting ideas, it is also oversimplyfied in many aspects (character builiding, world building, technical explanations and some probability, however strange it sounds in the face of time travels theme LOL). Nevertheless, I like it so far. It is quick paced, in places - original, and definitely for younger readers.

message 48: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Lisa wrote: "I just wanna jump on question #11 cause I thought this was a clever part of the book...

11)So they saved president Kennedy. For now. I may be over analyzing it but that doesn't sound a "little ch..."

True. It was clever. However at the time we didn't know what would happen, it was a nice training experience.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisa_pizza) Sonia wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I just wanna jump on question #11 cause I thought this was a clever part of the book...

11)So they saved president Kennedy. For now. I may be over analyzing it but that doesn't sound..."

oh sorry, did i jump ahead? i'm sorry guys.

message 50: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Lisa wrote: "Sonia wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I just wanna jump on question #11 cause I thought this was a clever part of the book...

11)So they saved president Kennedy. For now. I may be over analyzing it but that..."

Well, it's part of today's section, so no major spoiler done :-)

« previous 1 3