Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Another Story Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6626 comments Mod
Are we doing another story challenge and if so, what kind?

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I think we discussed a military hero/heroine challenge. Are we starting that this month? Arch, would you like to spearhead it?

message 3: by Arch , Mod (new)

Me?

I might come in late. I want to finish Courage and that will be a while.

message 4: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2005 comments Mod
Do government agents (spies, etc) count in this challenge?

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I would think if he/she has a military background, they would count, Rae.

message 6: by Arch , Mod (new)

I think it was heroes/heroines in uniforms.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Well let's make it heroes/heroines in uniform and the writer can come up with a story within that designation.

message 8: by Arch , Mod (last edited Jul 08, 2009 09:14AM) (new)

Okay, three questions:

1. What genre are we going with? Different genres maybe?

2. Will there be a different folder for this story or will it go under the writing challenge folder? Maybe the other stories need to be moved to an archive folder, so the stories will not get mixed up.

3. When should we start writing to the new challenge? I guess I can write Courage and a new story too.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I think the author should be free to pick the genre. I suppose it should be interracial though.

Why don't we just do like we did before. The author creates a separate thread for their story. I don't have a strong opinion on this.

When? Not sure.

message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

Oh, I was wondering if we were going with a certain genre: Paranormal, Historical, etc.

I like writing contemporary stories and my stories always be interracial, well maybe except for the TAS we are doing on your other group. That's why I have asked.

Okay, the stories can go under the writing challenge folder. I have to think of what kind of uniform story I will write.

Is it okay we write about CIA agents or FBI agents? They wear uniforms. Black suits.

That's the kind of story, I would want to write.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I think the author can decide what period they want to write in. They don't all have to be the same. In my opinion, I think you could consider a CIA or FBI agent as part of the theme.

message 12: by Arch , Mod (new)

Eugenia, I agree, writing these stories are fun and gives the mind something to play with.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (last edited Jul 08, 2009 04:34PM) (new)

How are we going to label our next challenge?

Our name and then: Hero/Heroines in Uniform Story: Title

Arch's Hero/Heroine's In Uniform Challenge or Story: Title

Or if we are writing about a hero being the one in uniform:

Arch's Hero In Uniform Challenge or Story: Title

If it's the heroine in uniform.

Arch's Heroine In Uniform Challenge or Story: Title

I will be writing about a hero being in uniform.

I hope my post makes sense.

message 14: by Arch , Mod (new)

Yes, we need more writers. New_User? Davina? Anyone else?

message 15: by Arch , Mod (new)

My Title just came to me for our Hero/Heroine in Uniform challenge.

Title: The Agent.

I don't know when the challenge will start, but if it starts next week, I'll have to join the challenge the following week, due to my vacation.

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'll be juggling four stories.

1. His Bodyguard
2. Courage
3. TAS on Danielle's other group
4. The Agent

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Arch wrote: "My Title just came to me for our Hero/Heroine in Uniform challenge.

Title: The Agent.

I don't know when the challenge will start, but if it starts next week, I'll have to join the challenge ..."

I love it, Arch. Why don't we officially start it in August? If some of the participants want to start they can.

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

August will be fine with me Danielle.

I can get some more installments to Courage and His Bodyguard in. I have been writing to His Bodyguard.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I thought of a direction to take my desert king story, so I will try to work on that this weekend. And think of what I want to do for this new challenge.

message 20: by Arch , Mod (new)

Are you ending your Royal story?

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I don't think I'm close to ending it. I have plotted it out in my head, more or less. I'm not sure how long it's going to be.

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

That's how I am about Courage. Chocolate doesn't even know that Parris is a prince, but she'll find out.

message 23: by Arch , Mod (new)

My story will be make believe, made up city and state and even some CIA stuff will be made up.

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Yeah I don't have an idea, but I have to warn you non-paranormal lovers, it will probably have some paranormal elements.

message 25: by Arch , Mod (new)

That's okay Danielle, go for it.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I love paranormal, just haven't written much of it. This might be a chance for me to exercise my brain in this genre.

message 27: by Arch , Mod (new)

LOL Eugenia.

message 28: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Ooh. That sounds like a good story, Eugenia. I'd like to read that one.

I have an in progress one for this challenge but I'm not sure if I'll get to it. I'm rewriting a suspense-noir-romance right now and it's an emotional one so I'll have to see if I have any juice by the time the new challenge starts. I'm definitely eager to read the stories though!

message 29: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

My favorites also. :-D This story has been a real challenge because it's gone from short story to short screenplay and now some novella changes. I'm trying out some POV changes and story techniques that I'm not quite sure will work. I'm a little nervous because I'm not even sure my main heroine and her actions will be seen as sympathetic! I hope her actions make sense later in the story though. But I guess that's one of the noir tropes. Sometimes things aren't so black and white. :-)

I'd love to get your thoughts on it, Eugenia. I'll probably post the prologue and first chapter on my GR page once I finish spiffying it up. :-)

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Rae wrote: "My favorites also. :-D This story has been a real challenge because it's gone from short story to short screenplay and now some novella changes. I'm trying out some POV changes and story techniques..."

Rae I have a story that has a hero that is really dark. I was kind of worried that he wouldn't be for everyone. I had a friend read it and she liked it. So don't worry about that. Just write the story your heart tells you to write.

I have another friend who's about to give up writing for a while because of rejections and she had sent in a story and was told her heroine was TSTL (too stupid to live). I read the same story and I disagreed. Some readers are really critical of a character who is just a human beign. I don't mind a flawed, human character, as long as their traits really tie into the story.

message 31: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Eugenia wrote: "I'll be waiting to read it and happy to give you my thoughts on it. I know noir is never black and white but that's what makes it an interesting genre. "

Great! I'll be sure to post it. And too true indeed. That along with the style and metaphors are what caught my eye in the genre. :-)

message 32: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "Rae wrote: "My favorites also. :-D This story has been a real challenge because it's gone from short story to short screenplay and now some novella changes. I'm trying out some POV changes and stor..."

Danielle, I can definitely relate to both instances. I was recently at that point in your friend's life and almost gave up but I decided to step away from the business and just get back to good ole writing. A lot of what goes on behind the scenes of the publishing business is very cutthroat, underhanded and most times don't make sense! For my sanity, it was better to separate for the time being and just focus on what I love doing. I hope your friend is still writing.

I feel a little better now in writing the story. I guess it's sort of the case with you can't please everyone all of the time and readers will like who they like no matter. They can get a little critical I agree and I even feel bad when I don't like a story and say why I couldn't really get into it. I guess all I can do is my best.

I'd like to read that story some time though!

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I'll send it to you. The hero might do something you won't like. But if you're willing to give it a read, I'll send it over to you.

I did the same thing where I almost gave up writing a couple of times. And the same thing was the cure. Just focus on enjoying the craft. I suffer from a lack of confidence in my writing because I don't write what's in vogue, and this makes me unmotivated to work on it after a long day of work. And I am less motivated to do the stuff to get published.

message 34: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

That would be awesome, Danielle. I'd love to see it. I'm definitely curious now. :-)

I can sympathize. I don't think I write the style as to what general publishing is looking for. I tried to, even tried writing category but I feel like I'm cutting off a part of what's natural. I think that's a good thing though because a lot of avenues are opening up for more diverse voices that aren't so cookie cutter. Even DIY or Indie publishing is starting to be the norm and it's less pressure than trying to fit into an ideal.

More often than not, I think the idea of 'what's publishable' and safe as far as how the industry sees it is in the minority while writers who push conventions are becoming the majority. But I don't blame you. The publishing industry is rough but it's going through a change now with lots of things opening up for new and innovative writers concerning digital publishing and Indie based operations. I know you'll get there, Danielle, because your writing is awesome and there are readers out there looking for new voices and the very stories you are writing. I'm one of them and I've seen a lot of them asking for such on various reader boards and they are starving for more diverse stories.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Thanks. I'm going to try to submit something pretty soon. I'll email my story to you. I hope you don't run away thinking, that girl is just wrong. :)

message 36: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Ooh! Now I'm even more curious lol. :-D

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I'll send it this weekend.

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Okay, I'll send it to you both (Chewing on nails).

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

:) I just have performance anxiety. LOL.

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Thanks, Eugenia.

message 41: by Arch , Mod (new)

Who's all participating in the uniform challenge?

message 42: by Arch , Mod (last edited Jul 20, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

I know Eugenia. I'll be reading your story soon. I'm about to start my next installment to Courage. Sometime, in August, I hope to start my uniform story.

message 43: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I may pop into the uniform challenge later. I'm a bit swamped cleaning up some of my oldies but goodies at the moment. I'm dying to read some goodies though. I really enjoyed yours Eugenia. I have to dash over and see the new parts!

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I will participate but probably not right away. I'm trying to finish my royal story and do some editing on some other stuff and other life stuff. Not enough time in the day.

message 45: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

How true that is.

message 46: by Arch , Mod (new)

I want to focus more on Courage and His Bodyguard, before I start my uniform story. So, I don't think that August will be a good month for me to start the uniform story.

New User should write. Davina you too and anyone else. I want to see new writers materials.

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I'd like to see some new blood, too.

message 48: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I agree, that'd be awesome. :-)

message 49: by Arch , Mod (new)

I ask that if the new blood is going to write an erotic story, can you warn us ahead of time? I like reading other people work, but I don't read those kind of stories.

If anyone will be writing an erotic scene in their story that isn't a erotic story, please put a warning. I will skip your sex scene, but read the other parts to your story.

message 50: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Anytime, Eugenia! Thanks for sharing a great story. :-)

That's a good idea, Arch. A warning would be great!

« previous 1 3