The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Need Help Picking my next Audiobook.

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
I've been in a bit of an audio book funk recently. I have no idea what book to listen to next. I've been biding time by reading some short daily deals I picked up (I have a bunch of review copies I'll need to get to soon).

I probably have 5 or 10 un-listened to titles right now, but none of them really appeal to me.

I'm in the mood for something light. Maybe an adventure story.

Something similar to Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria books, or like Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series maybe.

It doesn't have to be SFF at all though. Really I just want a fun/fast-paced story with a really great narrator. Preferably someone that does voices for the different characters.

Anyone got any suggestions?

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) The Black Prism is popcorny fun fantasy which went pretty smoothly IMO. Don't know about the narration, though.

message 3: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1593 comments I just heard on TWIT this week that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio plays were available. A friend of mine had them in college, and were quite lite, and slightly different then the books. Or if you haven't read/ listened to The Lost Fleet: Dauntless series, I would call it a relatively light military sci-fi action series (think opposite of a PKD book).

And while it doesn't quite fit your request my favorite audio book is probably The Diamond Age. I love the fact that you have a woman reading "The Young Girl's Primer" to you.

What ever you choose, I hope you enjoy.

John

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Feb 04, 2014 05:45AM) (new)

Mark wrote: "The Black Prism is popcorny fun fantasy which went pretty smoothly IMO. Don't know about the narration, though."

Most of the reviews on audible like the story, but complain about the narration. That was one I had been considering, but I may have to read it instead.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

John wrote: "I just heard on TWIT this week that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio plays were available. A friend of mine had them in college, and were quite lite, and slightly different then..."

The first Hitchhiker's radio play was a recent daily deal, so I have that, but I'm just not in the mood for it.

I love Stephenson so maybe I'll consider The Diamond Age, although I have Reamde waiting to be listened to.

I'll look into The Lost Fleet: Dauntless too. Thanks for the ideas.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments The Iron Druid Chronicles are a lot of fun. Luke Daniels is a fantastic narrator. It's a series that's better in audio than in text.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I did the first two of iron druid. Loved the narrator. The books not as much.

message 8: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments Have I told you to pick up The Emperor's Edge recently? It's a light steampunk/fantasy book, and I hear that Lindsay Buroker has it up on Audible now.

I personally don't know anything about how the narration is, though, so keep that in mind.

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Sky wrote: "Have I told you to pick up The Emperor's Edge recently? "

Possibly. I didn't have it on my TBR list though.

Looks like very few reviews on audible. Most give the narration only 3 stars. It's a decent possibility though. Thanks.

message 10: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 149 comments I have been thoroughly enjoying listening to the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix - starting with Sabriel. Read by Tim Curry, who is just a delight as a reader.

message 11: by Dustin (last edited Feb 04, 2014 12:29PM) (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments It appears you haven't read The Alloy of Law yet. Michael Kramer is the narrator (Wheel of Time, Mistborn, Way of Kings) I don't love his readings, but they are consistently decent.

The Amulet of Samarkand has a great narrartor.

I remember enjoying the Watership Down audiobook.

message 12: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Good suggestions. Thanks guys. I think I'll do The Alloy of Law.

I'll happily take additional suggestions that you guys have to keep in mind next time.

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2294 comments Elizabeth Bear's Eternal Sky books (Range of Ghosts is the first) are available and are well worth checking out. (Disclaimer: I read them rather than listening. But still.)

message 14: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Joseph wrote: "Elizabeth Bear's Eternal Sky books (Range of Ghosts is the first) are available and are well worth checking out. (Disclaimer: I read them rather than listening. B..."

I have the first one on my to read list apparently. I'll check it out on audible to see what people think of the narration.

Thanks.

message 15: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments The Sandman slim books are fantastic urban fantasy action fests that have a strong cinematic or comic book feel and truly outstanding narration.

message 16: by David (last edited Feb 05, 2014 09:44AM) (new)

David (dbigwood) Some fun quick action stories: the Prisoner of Zenda. Raymond Chandler stories as read by Elliott Gould. The Dark is Rising series is excellent. The books aren't very long but there are five of them. Sherlock Holmes. The Allan Quatermain stories are all rather short and interesting.
Most of these I've read, so the narration might be something to evaluate before commiting.

message 17: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments I think the alloy of law is a good choice.

I really liked Midnight Riotby Ben Aaronovitch. Its urban fantasy in the Dresden style.

I'd read Black Prism if I were you though. I adore this series so far, but the audiobook of the Black Prism is the only book that I asked for my money back. The narrator completely made it unbearable.

message 18: by Joyce (last edited Feb 05, 2014 10:17AM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 177 comments I really enjoyed the Something from the Nightside by Simon Green. They are very similar to the Harry Dresden series in tone but really well done books and audio.

The Diamond Age was really good. I didn't listen to Readme at all though it just didn't interest me.

message 19: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Christopher wrote: "The Sandman slim books are fantastic urban fantasy action fests that have a strong cinematic or comic book feel and truly outstanding narration."

I think I have the first one in ebook. I should look to see if there is some kind whispersync discount for that.

message 20: by Rob, Roberator (new)

David wrote: "Sherlock Holmes. "

When I first started doing audiobooks, my library had a bunch of these BBC radio dramas of Sherlock Holmes that were really good. I haven't done the proper books though and I ran out of the ones they carried to listen to. I should see if there any more I can get from Inter-Library Loan.

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Aeryn98 wrote: "I'd read Black Prism if I were you though. I adore this series so far, but the audiobook of the Black Prism is the only book that I asked for my money back. The narrator completely made it unbearable. "

That seems to be the consensus on audible as well.

message 22: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Joyce wrote: "I really enjoyed the Something from the Nightside by Simon Green. They are very similar to the Harry Dresden series in tone but really well done books and audio."

Yeah. I really enjoyed the Nightside books. But I already own/read them all. I tried getting into his new Urban Fantasy series Secret Histories starting with The Man With the Golden Torc but I just couldn't get into it. The narrator was pretty good though.

message 23: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Carlos wrote: "I just downloaded the first book of the Stormlight Archives, Way of Kings, and I'm really liking it"

Yeah, I loved that book, and the narrators are supposed to be great, but that's a series I prefer to read rather than listen to.

Words of Radiance is going to be a drop everything and spend all my free time reading kind of book.

message 24: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) Rob wrote: When I first started doing audiobooks, my library had a bunch of these BBC radio dramas of Sherlock Holmes that were really good. I haven't done the proper books"

If you are in the US there's a good chance your local library has audio books available for download, no need for interlibrary loan. My local library has thousands of books available from Overdrive and Ebsco that I download to my computer then transfer to my player. It also has OneClick Digital audio books for direct download to my phone. Next time you're there ask what they have available and the access requirements.

message 25: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I've used overdrive a little, but most things weren't available on Android last I looked because they are WMA.

I'll have to take another look though. Thanks.

message 26: by David (new)

David Newhall | 39 comments Overdrive just went all mp3. With a smart phone you can borrow and listen right from the Overdrive app.

message 27: by AndrewP (last edited Feb 07, 2014 09:41AM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Carlos wrote: "I just downloaded the first book of the Stormlight Archives, Way of Kings, and I'm really liking it"

Make sure you go to http://brandonsanderson.com/books/the... and download the maps and other illustrations from The Way of Kings. They really add something to the story.

message 28: by Rob, Roberator (new)

David wrote: "Overdrive just went all mp3. With a smart phone you can borrow and listen right from the Overdrive app."

I saw the announcement that was happening. I didn't realize it was put in place already though. Thanks.