2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Caro Pi's Corner

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Hello everybody!

So I am starting this challange a month late but hopefully I will manage to finish on time :)
Let's see...

In January I finish:

Operacion Pablo Escobar and The Men Who Stare at Goats

The books that I want to finish in february, in order to be on time with the challenge are:

1. Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
2. Por la boca muere el pez
3. The Psychopath Test
4. ¡Sálvese quien pueda!
5. Xenophobe's Guide to the Poles
6. What the World Will Look Like When All the Water Leaves Us

Six books sounds quite a lot for me after a long time of not reading, but actually some of these books I already started and another is a little bit thin. But is february and is the thinnest month of the year.... So better be realistic this time.

I will also make a comment after I finish each of these books. I found other readers comments very usefull maybe mine could also help.

message 2: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments One week pass Let´s check what it pass during this time:

2.Por la boca muere el pez
3. The Psychopath Test
4.¡Sálvese quien pueda!
7. {Bonus for Valentine's Day] The Anti-Valentine's Handbook

Ok so so far so good... Just ten days had pass of this year and it seems that I am right on track. The bonus book... Well is so short.... And yes I am quite anti Valentine's. I live out side US. I do not think that here we should celebrate this day, here is just about the money. So not love for a commercial day

message 3: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Ok... So we are coming to the end of the month... Time to check some goals....

2.Por la boca muere el pez
3. The Psychopath Test
4.¡Sálvese quien pueda!
7. {Bonus for Valentine's Day] The Anti-Valentine's Handbook
8. {Extra reading or replacement for the third book}The Best of the Rejection Collection: 293 Cartoons That Were Too Dumb, Too Dark, or Too Naughty for The New Yorker

Not sure if I have to really count it as a replacement of the other book. The month is finishing but I will try to do my best to finish the third. Anyways all my comments are include in the other review of each of the books. Hope they help.

message 5: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Ok new month, more goals.... I decide to start the Randomiser Challenge of 2014 and I put a goal of 24 of these books for me. That means I am 4 books behind my schedule. It means that two months of these year I will have to read at least 3 of these books in one month. Something that does not seem that crazy.

From last month I did not manage to finish one of the books that I expected to read (shame on me) nevertheless, I did manage my goal for the challenge. These month I decide to participate in the group read. I always wanted to read this book and the group read is a great excuse.

The books for this month are:

1. The Psychopath Test
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
3. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
4. No Place Like Oz
5. Lo que no tiene nombre

The two books that I pick of Oz I am reading them because next month is coming out Dorothy Must Die and I decide to participate in The 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards Challenge and that is the book I will read for the Debut author.

As usual I will try to update the feed every week to measure my progress.

message 6: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments So my progress so far this month hasn't been great here is how I am doing after the first two weeks of the month:

1. The Psychopath Test
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
4. No Place Like Oz
6. Bonus Fairy Tales for Angry Little Girls
7. Bonus II I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats

The last two I got it as a present and decide to read themstraight away, is very easy reading because the first one is made for kids and the second are short poems by a cat, so I am pretty sure I will be also done with that one by the end of the weekend.

message 7: by Caro (last edited Apr 01, 2014 08:08AM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments My reading progress for this month was slightly alter. I am quite sad that I did not manage to finish One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I really wanted o participate in the debates of the book of the month. There had been a few changes in my readings of the month. Anyways this happen every month and I do not think this one will be the exception.

1. The Psychopath Test
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: Started
4. No Place Like Oz: Started
6. Bonus Fairy Tales for Angry Little Girls
7. Bonus II I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats
8. There Will Be No More Good Nights Without Good Nights
9. The Rosie Project

So in theory I did quite a good month. But is important to notice that most of these books are either books for kids or very short books so to read them do not take long. Hopefully in April i will manage to increase my progress. Th next post will include what are my readings for April.

message 8: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments And now, for April I have the following plan:

1. No Place Like Oz
2. Dorothy Must Die
3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
6. The Complete Persepolis

I know that it sounds quite ambitious.... Actually it is, but I also feel inspire, so hopefully i will make it...

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Good luck! To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books!

message 10: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Alison wrote: "Good luck! To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books!"

Me too! I have been meaning to reread it because it has been many years since I first read it.

message 11: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Thanks a lot! In my country we do not listen that much about it.... But since I move I hear many good things about this book.

message 12: by Caro (last edited Apr 19, 2014 02:38PM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Ok, so now I will make some adjustments and updates in the randomizer challenge:

32 - The Isle of Youth: Stories
66 - La delicadeza
REMOVED40 - Bird Box
REMOVED51 - IT Can Be Dangerous
45 - To Kill a Mockingbird
49 - Books of Blood, Vols. 1-3
26 - Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries
5 - The Damnation Game
13 - Secrets and Lies: A History of CIA Mind Control and Germ Warfare
47 - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
52 - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
11 - Solaris
43 - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
21 - City of Bones
41 - Dorothy Must Die
16 - Island
20 - Never Let Me Go
24 - The Untold History of The United States
29 - The Decision Book: Fifty Models for Strategic Thinking
62 - The Book of Laughter and Forgetting
18 - Le Petit Nicolas Le Ballon
46 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
42 - No Place Like Oz
53 - A Tale of Two Cities

I decide to remove two books from this list. I will only read 20 books for this challenge. Not because I think I can't read the other two, but because I decide to remove these books from my to - read list. Did not like them so much, nevertheless, I will try to continue with my other goals. So, so far I had read 2/20.

message 13: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments And now my April progress:

1. No Place Like Oz
2. Dorothy Must Die
4. To Kill a Mockingbird

So I have three to go I will continue now with To Kill a Mockingbird After the positive comments that I read I feel the need to read it.... Not sure if I finish all the books on time, but I will give it a try....

message 14: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments I almost forgot to put it!!!

I am also in the Goodreads author challenge. For this challenge I do not have as many books as I wanted, seems that most of my authors are not Goodreads authors :( Nevertheless, the list is:

1.Cassandra Clare withCity of Bones
2. Laura van den Berg with The Isle of Youth: Stories
3. Danielle Paige with Dorothy Must Die
4. Julie Murphy with Side Effects May Vary
5. Robyn Schneider with The Beginning of Everything
6.Caroline Tung Richmond with The Only Thing to Fear

I will update my progress after I finish each book. Also I may find other authors in the rest of the year, so the list can be extend....

message 15: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Jodi wrote: "Alison wrote: "Good luck! To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books!"

Me too! I have been meaning to reread it because it has been many years since I first read it."

I love it!!! Read it in two days... Was not able to stop....

message 16: by Caro (last edited Apr 30, 2014 02:08PM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments So finally in April I read:

And now my April progress:

1. No Place Like Oz
2. Dorothy Must Die
4. To Kill a Mockingbird

I am happy with my readings in April.... Did not have that much time but manage almost all my books, also I am very happy to finally read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and To Kill a Mockingbird. Amazing books!!!

message 17: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Now May is coming.... Is spring in the air and hopefully I will have enough time to read.... Because my plan for this month is quite ambitious.... Because I will want to participate in the Reading Challenge of the month, that everybody knows is quite long....

So my list for the month will be:

1.Dorothy Must Die
2.Life After Life
3.Never Let Me Go
4.The Decision Book: Fifty Models for Strategic Thinking
5.Lonely Planet Dublin

The fifth book is because I will travel to Dublin and will love to know the city better... Seems quite short the list but Life After Life is quite long. If I manage more I will consider it as a bonus... But I am not sure I will manage more.

message 18: by Caro (last edited May 20, 2014 03:39AM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments So we are already 20 days in May and I most say.... It has been terrible for me in terms of reading almost not progress. I was having my hopes to Life After Life but so far I am disappointed, I will try to read more, but it really turn me down, so I will move forward in my other readings of the month and then see if i can pick it up again. My progress for this month so far is:

1.Dorothy Must Die
2.Life After LifeThinking on giving up, but will try once more to see what happens.
3.Never Let Me Go
5.Lonely Planet Dublin
6. [BONUS]The Complete Maus
7. [MINI - BONUS]Frank: The True Story That Inspired the Movie

Let's see what happen in these ten days, maybe some more progress can be done in my goals for this month.

message 19: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Lazy, lazy month... I did not read half of what I was thinking. Here are the terrible results of this month:

1.Dorothy Must Die
2.Life After LifeThinking on giving up,Some day I will finish and will write that.... For the moment will still taking bytes of my kindle.
3.Never Let Me Go
5.Lonely Planet Dublin(REMOVED)
6. [BONUS]The Complete Maus
7. [MINI - BONUS]Frank: The True Story That Inspired the Movie

So I think is my worse month... I had not read so little in this year, then again, it has been years since I have nt been reading so much :) I guess that from one month that I do not accomplish most of my goals will be ok. Let's see how is June.

message 20: by Caro (last edited Jun 03, 2014 05:48AM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments June is here, summer is coming long days short nights time to go to coffee places and enjoy great coffees with great books.... Because of this I hope these summer months I am more proactive and manage to compensate what I did not read on May. So my plan so far will be:

1. Unwind: Yes once again I am up for the Groupread of the month!
2. Before I Fall This will be my TBR Twins fo the month. Had never read it before, so it will be interesting to come out from my comfort zone.
3. Wolves Eat Dogs
4. Never Let Me Go
5. The Isle of Youth: Stories

message 22: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments So my progress so far:

1. Unwind: Yes once again I am up for the Groupread of the month!
2. Before I Fall This will be my TBR Twins fo the month. Had never read it before, so it will be interesting to come out from my comfort zone.
3. Wolves Eat Dogs
4. Never Let Me Go

Is already the 20th. I am currently reading Before I Fall and is quite long. Not sure if I manage to arrive to books 4 and 5. And for some reason it seems that I have been pushing Never Let Me Go. Seems that I will have to read it in another time....Thinking to move it to the fall with short days and long afternoons with a nice cup of tea.

message 23: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments And for the end of the month the resuts are:

1. Unwind
2. Before I Fall
3. Wolves Eat Dogs
4. Never Let Me Go

And so, then for the second time I pulled back Never Let Me Go. But still I am happy that I manage to accomplish so much in this time. Ten days ago I was having my doubts about finishing Before I Fall but somehow all was worked out.

So for next month I want to read the following books:

1.Never Let Me Go: Is going to be my TBR Twins for the month of July so I know I will feel more pressure to finish.... And as they say, the third is the charm.
2.Imperfect: I won my first Giveaway!!! Looking forward to read it!!
3.Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
4.A Tale of Two Cities

Let's hope I manage to make a lot of progress specially with the books that are in my randomiser challenge....

message 25: by Caro (last edited Jun 30, 2014 02:35PM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments 2. Goodreads Author Challenge:

I think that this one I never put it here so here was my goal:

4. Julie Murphy with Side Effects May Vary
5. Robyn Schneider with The Beginning of Everything

And the progress so far has been:

2. Goodreads Author Challenge:

I think that this one I never put it here so here was my goal:

I will also give it a try the authors will be:

4. REMOVEDJulie Murphy with Side Effects May Vary Replaced with:Magdalena Ganowska with Imperfect
5. REMOVEDRobyn Schneider with The Beginning of Everything Replaced with:,Lauren Oliver with Before I Fall

Besides these books I will add one more book for this challenge:

7.Neal Shusterman with Unwind

So there are three pending books Imperfect, City of Bones and The Only Thing to Fear the first one I will read it next month, second maybe in August but the third is not coming till the October - November, so my challenge still have some more time to be finished, and in this case it does not depend on me.

message 26: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments The 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards Challenge

For this one I wanted to participate in horror and debut author. For the horror category I still do not know what to read... Probably I will do it on October, to prepare myself for Halloween, I still search for options...

The second category that I suscribe was debut author and in that one I read Danielle Paige. I do not think I will manage to go beyond these two authors for this challenge. Maybe next year....

message 27: by Caro (last edited Jul 18, 2014 04:41PM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments And my progress so far:

1.Never Let Me Go
2.Imperfect: I won my first Giveaway!!! Looking forward to read it!!
3.REMOVED Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Decide to buy the books because of the pictures, it kind of loose it's magic on a kindle) instead I participate two times in this month TBR Twins and the second book was The Fault in Our Stars
4.A Tale of Two Cities

message 28: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments So no so much for July and I can't promise that August will be better. too many things happening now and too little tim to read. My progress of July was:

And my progress so far:

1. Never Let Me Go
2. Imperfect
3. The Fault in Our Stars
4.A Tale of Two Cities

So my auto - challenge for this month was very easy 4 books and almost did not make 3. Hope to recover soon.

message 29: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments And August came. Only 4 months to finish the year and still have some challenge pending. Not sure if I will make it all but will try my best.

For this month I plan to read the following:

1. A Tale of Two Cities(Is also my TBR Twins of the month.
2. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
3. Solaris

I can't promise more because time has been crazy, so other books will be a plus this month

message 30: by Caro (last edited Sep 03, 2014 11:06AM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments 31 days seems like a long time but sometimes... Is just not in this month at least I manage to finish the 3 books I wanted to finish

1. A Tale of Two Cities.
2. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
3. Solaris

So it was a very short list and I still struggle with it. Hopefully I will manage to improve in the next months...

message 31: by Caro (last edited Sep 03, 2014 11:06AM) (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments September, new month new goals, in the next months I expect to read a few books that are quite big so maybe the progress will not seem that much...
The books that I plan to read this month are:

1. It's Kind of a Funny Story (My TBR Twins of the month)
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. La delicadeza
4. Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries

Not sure if I will finish the last one, but at least is an attempt... In October for sure I will read more... Hopefully

message 32: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments The month pass... And I did not manage as much progress as I wanted. I hope that for this month I manage a little more.

My progress so far:

1. It's Kind of a Funny Story
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. La delicadeza
4. Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries (Started to read)

message 33: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments October.... Let's see if I manage to read as much as I want...

For this month the plan is:

1.Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries
2.The Only Thing to Fear
3.The Damnation Game

Hopefully I will manage all...

message 34: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments As I was thinking, October was a slow month but still I manage to accomplish some progress:

1.Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries
2.The Only Thing to Fear
3.The Damnation Game
4.City of Bones
5.City of Ashes
6.Runaway

So the progress seems pretty good for what I was expecting, but the books of The Mortal Instruments are easy reading, so it did not take me that much time. In November I hope to continue reading a good amount of books, because there are only two moths left to finish the challenge....

message 36: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments So November has been a very active month.... More than I expected.... I did not read the books that I expected but I read way more... I even hit my goal of 50 books this year (yay!) Let's see first the initial list and my progress:

1. City of Glass
2. My Whispers of Horror: Letters Telling Women's True Tales from Ex-USSR Nations
3.Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
4.Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries
5.The Pickup Pros
6.The Witch Must Burn

2 of 6.... Just lame..... But the true is that my list of November ended like this:

1. City of Glass
2. City of Ashes
3. City of Glass
4. Runaway
5. My Whispers of Horror: Letters Telling Women's True Tales from Ex-USSR Nations
6. Reveal
7. Capture
8. A Lupita le gustaba planchar
9. La verdad y otras mentiras
10. Crímenes
11. El secreto de Lena

So as everybody can see I did a lot of reading the past month. For sure December will not be that profit with the reading, but I will try my best

message 37: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Now is December, the last efforts, everything from here is a plus for the books I read this year... I have a short plan for it. Hopefully will be expanded.

1.The Witch Must Burn
2.Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries
3.The Pickup Pros

The rest will come with the month, maybe on christmas I will manage to read the most....

The only sad thing I did not manage to finish the randomizer challenge, maybe I had been too ambitious with it.... Next year I will be better prepare but the Goodreads authors challenge I pass it with flying colors!!!

message 38: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments Now is December the 15. Two more weeks to finish my goals for this year...

So far My progress this month is:

Now is December, the last efforts, everything from here is a plus for the books I read this year... I have a short plan for it. Hopefully will be expanded.

1.The Witch Must Burn
3.The Pickup Pros
4.Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

message 39: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 967 comments So a new year... This is an archive, but I want to wrap - up the year....

Finally in December I read:

Now is December the 15. Two more weeks to finish my goals for this year...

So far My progress this month is:

Now is December, the last efforts, everything from here is a plus for the books I read this year... I have a short plan for it. Hopefully will be expanded.

1.The Witch Must Burn
3.The Pickup Pros
4.Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
5.UnStrung
6.Grumpy Cat: A Grumpy Book

So this year I exceed in my number of book not so good wih my challenges. We will see for 2015