The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenges > I Dare You to Read 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tina (last edited Jan 23, 2014 07:06PM) (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Hello, everyone! As promised, here's the I Dare You to Read 2014 thread.

For those who were at F2F25, you have had the chance to pick the books you were dared to read for 2014. These books are the best and worst reads of other people present in the F2F. (view spoiler)

And then after that, everyone picked a name from a box, and the name you picked is the person you will give a book to read as a dare.

The only rule here for The Dared Ones (which is everyone) is to read the books they were dared to read within 2014.

But what if you weren't there? Well, this thread is your answer. If you want to shake up your reading year, you can leave a comment here and ask to be dared. :) Just post the following: (1) the genres you usually read; and (2) your reading goals that does not include quantity challenges. Example for #2 is "read more classics" or "read more Filipino books".

After you've posted that, anyone can dare you to read anything. The dares are usually outside of your preferred genres (so it's more fun and daring), and it should be able to help your reading goals. :D It's up to you if you want to pick up on the dare or not. If you feel like it's really not your thing, then by all means, don't pick it up. But if you want to try, then no one's stopping you from reading it, either. :)

Oh, if you weren't dared but you saw a book you are interested in among the dares...then feel free to ask to be dared. :P Because we don't really, really have strict rules here, anyway. We just want to read more books. :D

This thread is where we all check in regarding our dares, and discuss about the books we've been dared to read. If you can't find a copy of the book you were dared to read, then post it here, too! You can share reviews, or just talk about it, or just answer questions such as: Did you like the book that someone labeled as best? Did you hate it? Or did you somehow love the book that someone labeled as worst? Or did you hate it with as much passion? Did the book that someone else dare you to read make you appreciate the topic more? Are you planning to read more of that book after you've read it?

As an incentive...I am offering a little prize for everyone who finished all the dares by the end of the year, during the 2014 Christmas party. (view spoiler) Writing it here now so I won't forget. :D

Got it, got it? So if you were there during F2F25, post the books you were dared with here so we can keep track. If you weren't there and you want to join in the fun, then leave a comment and someone will definitely dare you. :)

Happy reading!

(view spoiler)

EDITED TO ADD: List of dared people + people who ask to be dared are here. :)

message 2: by Monique (last edited Jan 20, 2014 11:53PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2120 comments I was dared to read the following books:

For the Best and Worst Reads of 2013:
A Thousand Years of Good Prayers by Yiyun Li - one of Benny's Best Reads
Speak by Laurie Halse Andersen - Worst Read by Maria

I Dare You To Read:
Meliza, who picked my name, dared me to read Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

JOY, since I picked you and your resolution is to read more translated works, I dare you to read Nobel laureate Herta Muller's The Land of Green Plums. (view spoiler)

Fun! :D

message 3: by Tina (last edited Jan 20, 2014 10:35PM) (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments My dares!

I picked the following from the Best & Worst Reads of 2013:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - best read from...Maria? And other people. :D
Elmer by Gerry Alanguilan - worst read by Beejay

I Dare You to Read:
Berna just sent me a message about her dare, and it's Eight Habits of the Happy Millionaire by Bo Sanchez. :) Bring on the financial stuff. :D

I picked Cris btw, and I'm still thinking of books to dare her. :D She wants to read more Filipino books -- this should be pretty easy. :)

message 4: by Angus (last edited Feb 25, 2014 02:24AM) (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4336 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013:
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - Cary's Best Read
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - Rhena's Worst Read

I Dare You To Read:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - from Ingrid.

Beejay, I dare you to read The Stories of John Cheever. I won't be so merciless to dare you to read the only genre that you won't read, but I'd like you to stick to your resolution of reading every night. The collection has more than 50 stories. You may focus on at least one story per week. I hope this book helps in fulfilling your resolution and in appreciating the art of the short story. :)

message 5: by Meliza (last edited Feb 19, 2014 10:19PM) (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments For the Best & Worst Reads of 2013, I picked:
1. Stoner by John Edward Williams - Best of Monique
2. Allegiant by Veronica Roth - Worst of some people

I realized, minutes after I picked Allegiant, that I have to read the whole series. LOL

I Dare You to Read:

I dared Monique to read Anansi Boys. Although this isn't really a dare because she reads everything. I just want to help her in her reading resolution which is to dedicate a month for her favorite author. She could just include the book to her Neil Gaiman Month.

I think I was picked by Joy, who was picked by Monique, who was picked by me.

*Update!
I was dared by Joy to read the tome Les Miserables and I accept the challenge. :D

message 6: by Gwaxa (last edited Jan 26, 2014 02:37AM) (new)

Gwaxa | 350 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013
Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis - Aaron's best read
Snobs/Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes - Berna's (view spoiler) worst reads

I Dare You To Read

I don't know who picked me. So this will be edited once he/she comes out. ;)

I picked Bennard whose resolution is to read more books written by women. I'm still thinking about it so this will also be edited once I have it.

-----------------------------------------------

I dared Bennard to read Anna and the French Kiss. See my message for the explanation.

message 7: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Jan 21, 2014 01:22AM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2051 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013
Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson - Tina's Best Read
World War Z by Max Brooks - Benny's Worst Read

Bah Humbug.

I Dare You To Read
It was Rhena who drew my name. No dare yet.

I picked Marie who reads mostly everything and has a resolution to read more books. No dare yet.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Aaron - that's mine! I'll send you a copy. XD

message 9: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2051 comments Log edited! :)

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments sounds fun and interesting!! hmmm..

message 11: by Mae (new)

Mae (jamaeca) | 330 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013
A Lover's Discourse by Roland Barthes - Monique's Best Read
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - Angus' Worst Read

I Dare You To Read:
According to Patrick, he was the one who drew my name. I don't know if he's trolling. Haha jk. No dare yet.

I drew Cary but I'm still thinking of what to dare her with so TBD muna. :)

message 12: by Veronica (last edited Jan 21, 2014 10:43PM) (new)

Veronica | 733 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013:
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - I think it was Bennard's Best Read Joy's Best Read
Voices in the Theater - Monique's and Aaron's (quite emphatic) Worst Read

I Dare You to Read:
I drew Louize's name and her dare was to finish her TBR so I picked the earliest book in her To Read shelf which was my favorite read for 2013: The Once and Future King.

Louize, don't worry. You have all year to read it and I think you'll like it too. if you need a copy, I have the ebook and audiobook (wonderful narration!). The real book will arrive in a month or so. :)

message 13: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013:
The Unbearable Lightness of Being-from Rhena's Best list
The Things They Carried- from Patrick's Worst List

I Dare You To Read:
I drew Berna's name, and since she wished to read more genre, I decided to give her the Bulalo Soup for the Sole. It's an essay collection, which I hope she'll like.

And like what Veronica said above, she drew my name. Yay!

@Ronnie, I have a copy of The Once and Future King. Thank you for the offer. :)

message 14: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1348 comments Since I was not in the book discussion:

(1) the genres you usually read - tearjerkers, women's lit, literary winners; and (2) your reading goals that does not include quantity challenges - and I dare myself to read a scifi this year. Read the whole book, not just a chapter of it. (view spoiler)

Any takers? :)

message 15: by Joy (new)

Joy (joyabundo) | 80 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013:

Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot - one of Angus' Best Read
Allegiant by Veronica Roth - Mae's and Ingrid's (and Maria's?) Worst Read

I Dare You to Read:

I drew Meliza's name and since her resolution is to read half of the books from the TFG Recommendation list, I dare you to read Les Miserables which is in the Tome Raiders recommendation list.
(view spoiler)

Atty. Monique, who drew my name dared me to read The Land of Green Plums by Herta Muller's
(view spoiler)

Veronica wrote: "The Unbearable Lightness of Being - I think it was Bennard's Best Read"

Miss Ronnie, it was actually mine and ate Rhena's best read. :)

message 16: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments Joy: OMG! Now, this is a real dare. I'm not ready yet. Haha. Now I'm pondering if I could still finish half of the Reco List if I read Les Miserables.

message 17: by Veronica (last edited Jan 21, 2014 10:49PM) (new)

Veronica | 733 comments Sorry Joy! Magkatabi pa tayo nun. :D Edited my post na. :)

It doesn't seem like a challenge. I'm actually looking forward to reading it. :)

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Meliza: if you commit to reading a few pages/chapters of LesMis everyday, you'll finish it in a month or so. :D

message 19: by Tina (last edited Jan 23, 2014 07:04PM) (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments The Dared Ones:
* Monique
* Tina
* Angus
* Meliza
* Gwaxa
* Aaron
* Mae
* Ronnie
* Louize
* Joy
* Cary

Dare Me!
* Ella - usually reads women's lit, tearjerkers, literary winners; plans to read a science fiction book

* Ranee - usually reads magic realism, scifi; plans to read more classics.

message 20: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments I am still sulking for not seeing you guys last F2F. And the cold is not doing wonders to my system. (view spoiler)

Dares:
(1) the genres I usually read includes magic realism in them and scifi.
(2) My reading goals that does not include quantity challenges - and I dare myself to read more classics.

message 21: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments Here's Mine:

Best and Worst Reads of 2013
Life of Pi- Meliza's Best Read daw
Ender's Game- I forgot sino nagsabing worst read nya to.

I Dare You To Read:
INGRID (tbd pa which f2f book and i-dare ko, yung pinakamahaba siguro? lol)

message 22: by Meliza (last edited Jan 22, 2014 10:25PM) (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments Cary: That's one of my best reads but that wasn't the book that I brought. (not in my Top 3, maybe Top 4, hehe...) :)

message 23: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments Meliza wrote: "Cary: That's one of my best reads but that wasn't the book that I brought. (not in my Top 3, maybe Top 4, hehe...) :)"

hala kanino kaya yan? sabog na naman ako. tsk!

message 24: by Meliza (last edited Jan 22, 2014 10:29PM) (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments ^I think kay Tina? Hehe.

message 25: by Ingrid (last edited Feb 09, 2014 05:26AM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 599 comments (view spoiler)

Best and Worst book dares both came from Alexa :))
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
Wedding Night - Sophie Kinsella

I Dare You To Read:
Angus - YA book nalang, hikhik. Something you already own but haven't read yet. Buddy read? :D
(view spoiler)

message 26: by Tina (last edited Jan 23, 2014 07:05PM) (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Cary - yep, that's one of mine. :D May copy ka na ba? I can lend you the book. :)

Ella - gusto kita isipan ng scifi dare pero mahina rin ako dun. Teka, iisip ako. :D

Ranee - OOOOH. Can I dare you? I dare you to read Persuasion by Jane Austen. :D Not a lot of people have read it in TFG, I think, and I'd love to know what you think of it.

Elaine - want to join? :)

message 27: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments Hi Ella, maybe you could read The Ender's Game or the whole quintet. :)

message 28: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments tina: ok lang, may ebook na ko. si meliza kasi kung makapagpromote, kala ko sa kanya galing. hehe.

ranee: kung babasahin mo ang persuasion, makikibuddy read ako. yan na lang austen book na di ko nababasa.

message 29: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments Cary: Haha. Oo nga, naconvinced ba kita basahin? Actually, nahirapan ako kung ano yung Top3 ko na Best Reads kasi Top5 talaga 'yun in no particular order. And, ang galing mo, for reading almost all of Austen's works.

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 733 comments Ella, this isn't much of a dare-you-to-read but it's still sci-fi. You might like:

Time and Again by Jack Finney

It's time travel mala Somewhere in Time. In fact, Richard Matheson wrote that book ata in honor of Jack Finney and named one of the characters after him. I have the ebook if you like. :)

message 31: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments Meliza: oo, favorite ko kasi si jane austen!

message 32: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Tina, challenge accepted!
Cary, woohoo! Buddy read! Kelan mo gusto?

message 33: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (aboyandhisbooks) | 8 comments Best and Worst Reads of 2013:
Midwinter Blood
Allegiant
sorry! couldn't remember who's best and worst read these were.

I Dare You To Read:
Bennard - I think he mentioned two books. Hindi ko na-note what were those. Haha.

Mae: Still haven't decided. :)

message 34: by Bennard (last edited Jan 28, 2014 12:36AM) (new)

Bennard | 727 comments Late post is late. :)

Open by Andre Agassi - Patrick's Best Read
A Discovery of Witches - Cris' Worst Read

I Dare You To Read
My name was picked by Gwaxa. She has not dared me yet.

I drew Patrick's name and I dare him to read Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

message 35: by Gwaxa (last edited Jan 26, 2014 02:32AM) (new)

Gwaxa | 350 comments Hullo Benny. I dare you to read Anna and the French Kiss.

Since your reading goal is to read more books written by female authors and that you don't usually (try almost never :p) YA, I think this'll be perfect for your dare read. Bonus na lang na nasa ReaderCon recommendations to.
Enjoy!

Oh, I already edited my dare post to include this. :D

message 36: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Jan 26, 2014 07:08PM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2051 comments Lol at Benny with Anna and the French Kiss. HAHAHAHA Good job, Gwaxa! :D

I dare you, Ella, to read Ernest Cline's Ready Player One. It's a standalone scifi book with TONS of 80s pop culture reference. A very fun and nostalgic read even if you didn't grew up in the 80s. Not that much laslas #feels, though.

message 37: by Gwaxa (new)

Gwaxa | 350 comments I can hear your evil laugh over here Aaron. Lol.

RPO! Go, Ella. :D

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Ranee - yay! I shall eavesdrop if you guys go ahead and buddy read it. :D

Benny - I think A Discovery of Witches is from Cris. Also, Anna and the French Kiss. XD

message 39: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 727 comments Gwaxa: Challenge accepted!:D

Aaron: I bet you'll stop laughing once you know what Rhena is going to dare you to read. *evil grin*

Tina: Thanks for noticing my mistake. Also, I think I'll enjoy Gwaxa's dare.:p

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

author nba kau??

message 41: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Hey Mart! Author sino? Share us what books you read, you want to read. We may either dare you to read something out of your comfort zone or introduceyou to a new novel we think you might actually enjoy

message 42: by Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (last edited Feb 24, 2014 01:22AM) (new)

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments Tina wrote: "Cary - yep, that's one of mine. :D May copy ka na ba? I can lend you the book. :)

Ella - gusto kita isipan ng scifi dare pero mahina rin ako dun. Teka, iisip ako. :D

Ranee - OOOOH. Can I dare yo..."

Yes Tina! Can i join your i dare you to read? waahh!! im pretty scared. lol.

So, i basically read anything that interests me, YA, childrens, chiclit, tearjerker, Albom, Coehlo, Sparks etc. I really wanna try reading classics kaso baka antukin ako eh haha pero i finished 2 Camus books yey! medjo dinugo ulo ko dun and curious ako dun sa What we talk about when we talk about love.. haba ng title haha.. i wanna try Jane Austen's book, I havent read any of James Patterson, Haruki Murakami and Chuck Palahniuk's books but i will soon hihi. I haven't read any of these series (really!!) Divergent, Hunger Games, Mortal Instruments, Prodigy by Marie Lu and a whole lot more. :D

So ayun! haha... please be good to me guys! haha.

message 43: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Hi elaine, you can join our buddy read of persuasion by jane austen. Still no date though.

message 44: by Rhena (new)

Rhena | 97 comments Because now we have Internetz

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester - Miss Ronnie's Best Read
By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept - Meliza's Worst Read

I Dare You To Read
Alexa picked me and dared me to finish Les Miserables this year. (Yay, because I really need this push!)

I picked Aaron and I dare him to read Alain de Botton's On Love and Siri Hustvedt's The Summer Without Men. Hee, he already agreed to this. :)

message 45: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1348 comments Okay, so the latest to-reads are:

Time Traveler's Wife
Time and Again
Reader Player One
Ender's Game

all are pending. I hope I can read one this year. :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow nman di ko yan alam

message 47: by Geo (new)

Geo | 4 comments DARE ME! I want to read more classics and jodi-picoult-ish type of books. :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

mine horror or fantasy books I want hahahaXD

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments anyone dare me too please. hihi. tho kinda scared doing this haha!

So, i basically read anything that interests me, YA, childrens, chiclit, tearjerker, Albom, Coehlo, Sparks etc. I really wanna try reading classics kaso baka antukin ako eh haha pero i finished 2 Camus books yey! medjo dinugo ulo ko dun and curious ako dun sa What we talk about when we talk about love.. haba ng title haha.. i wanna try Jane Austen's book, I havent read any of James Patterson, Haruki Murakami and Chuck Palahniuk's books but i will soon hihi. I haven't read any of these series (really!!) Divergent, Hunger Games, Mortal Instruments, Prodigy by Marie Lu and a whole lot more. :D

message 50: by Questian (new)

Questian | 922 comments ^hi Elaine...try reading Legend series by Marie Lu, it's good...though i haven't read the last book... hehehehe

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.