Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Fantasy with elves,faery alpha if possible

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments I'm currently in book slump. I'm into fae right now. I've read Michelle Pillow and CL Wilson, CJ England and I love them all.. now i'm looking for somthing else. I searched and all i can see are childrens fairy tale.lol...any suggestions?

BTW i don't know where to post this hope this is the right place. Please help. I appreciate it!

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments Hi,

You could check out the Meredith Gentry series by Laurell Hamillton or the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.
A couple of books that are out of print but you might be able to find are Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear (originally published as two seperate books - infinity Concerto and Serpent Mage). Also The sword of Maiden's Tears by Rosemary Edghill. There are two more books in that series but I don't remember the titles.

message 3: by Katy-Del (last edited Jun 26, 2009 08:25AM) (new)

Katy-Del | 12 comments If you like steamier books, Laurel K. Hamilton has the Meredeth Gentry series.

Charles de Lint writes urban fantasy that pulls from Irish and Native American Lore. He has quite a few YA books now that are very good.

I love the Mercy Thompson Series. It has vampires, fairies, and werewolves.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) A good fae series if Merry Gentry and her merry harem don't do it for you would be Karen Moning's Fever series. Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) by Karen Marie Moning
If you like PNR, her Highlander series also has some fae presence.
My new favorite series is the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance, starting with Touch the Dark, as well as the spin-off series that starts with Midnight's Daughter. There is some fae presence in those books. And the novella in the On the Prowl anthology, Buying Trouble, is set in the same universe and deals primarily with the fae.

message 5: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 18 comments I love Karen Marie Moning the Fever series is awesome!
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare is a really good YA book it is the first of the Mortal Instruments series.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Oh, does City of Bones have fae? I need a fae book for my July challenge and I bought that one a few months ago and have been waiting for an excuse to read it.

message 7: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 18 comments I'm not sure if City of Bones has fae in it But I'm pretty sure the 2nd book City of Ashes does.
Wings by Aprilynne Pike the main character is a fairy.

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana (missdi) | 64 comments I'll second the Karen Marie Moning "Fever" series - only 3 out right now but the next one is due I think in August.

message 9: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments Thanks for all the suggestions. Can you please tell me something more about the Fever series? I've read the others comments and they loved it. but then i get to read like the first few pages and i don't seem to get it.

I'm not much into first person so Anita Blake and Charlaine didn't really WOWed me.(I'm so sorry. I know a lot loved it and I like the glimpse of summarization bout it but can't read the whole book.)
Although I skimmed Sookie, i didn't fully read the books.

So anyone come across here about a Fey/Fae/Fairy(?)Males finding human females?
I love a lot of possesiveness and a lot of jelousy drama. Thanks so much everyone, i really appreciate any help.

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 57 comments I just started Wicked Lovelywhich is all fairies. You may have already read it - your description could be on the back cover for this book. It is YA and written in third person - if that helps.

message 11: by new_user (last edited Jun 26, 2009 11:37AM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I'd like to know too, LOL.

There is Richelle Mead's Dark Swan series, all about the fae with a charming fae leader who wants our heroine, although there is another man in the picture.

In the Fever series, the hero and heroine are not fae, but the irresistable fae princes are constantly making moves on the heroine, LOL.

There are some YA series, like Holly's Black's
Tithe, Wicked Lovely, Fairy Tale, Wings, etc.

But no PNR with a hot alpha fae hero, Deanne. Let me know if you find one. I'd like to read it myself, LOL.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. Stand alone all about fae. This was an excellent book. It's one of those that has stuck with me. I've read, like, 80 books since this one and I still remember so much about it. That's rare for me.

message 13: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments actually the CJ england that i've just read like days ago was sooooo good..the Fairy prince like bonded with the human female and from there he always fought his feelings for her coz being with humans is taboo to thier race.
This was like the reason i'm looking for this type of story.lol...the 2nd and 3rd book is not out yet so i can say i'm really hanging right now.
Valerie, thanks for that suggestion.Haven't read the Wicked lovely yet.
ANd melissa. i'll hunt for that Emma bull.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

BTW:I've read Michelle Pillow's faery series and it's very good too.

message 14: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments You could try FAIRY DREAMS (which is the first of my dan Aidan Fairies), but I warn that I write very dark...urban, in some cases. Yes, you'll find a HEA in this book, but there's a lot of dark before that point. It's available in e and print at Mundania.

If you don't mind older books you'll probably have to get used, try the Faery Magic anthology by Mary Jo Putney, Jo Beverly, Barb Samuel, and Karen Harbaugh. Excellent book!

Brenna

message 15: by Joseph (last edited Jun 27, 2009 05:22AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series and Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld series both have elves and fairies and are some of my favorite urban fantasy reads.
I also suggest Celia Rees's YA trilogy City of Shadows Book 1, A Trap in Time Book 2, and The Host Rides Out Book 3. It's not romance, but her trilogy is one of the best I have read having to do with fairies and elves.

message 16: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series is YA, but it's a modern faerie tale, very dark and well-written. :)

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie_julian) | 108 comments I've got a series with Ellora's Cave featuring Italian fairies and elves. It's called the Magical Seduction series and starts with Seduced by MagicSeduced By Magic available electronically or in paper in Shadaw Magic. Shadow Magic by Stephanie Julian

message 18: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* (ahviel) | 257 comments I just finished FaeDreams, what did everyone else think about that? Am I the only person that was dissapointed that Mac did not at least try once to kiss Barron

message 19: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 30 comments Brandy, are you talking about Dreamfever? Do you have an ARC? It's not out until August. So, I'm guessing maybe you're talking about Faefever, Darkfever or Bloodfever. I hope you are talking about one of the previous books because ACK! I don't want to know she didn't kiss Barrons in the next book. :)

message 20: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 30 comments Oh and to the original post, I also recommends KMM's Fever series. And the specific request you asked is exactly what Wicked Lovely (Melissa Marr)is about.

message 21: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* (ahviel) | 257 comments Amanda
no I am sorry I did mean FaeFever I just finished. I am excited about DreamFever in August.
Sorry about Barrons.
How far in the series are you?

message 22: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 30 comments Whew! I am with you and eagerly awaiting Dreamfever. I'm actually eagerly awaiting for them (Mac and Barrons) to get it on, but that is neither here nor there.

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Walker (wykedgoddess05) | 10 comments I would say Kim harrison... yasmin gaelorn, and also Christtine warren and her Novels of the "others" . Shristine covers its all ! Fae, vamps, Were's, Demons... its there for everyone !

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I don't know about Yasmine Galenorn or Christine Warren, but I wouldn't really recommend Kim Harrison if you're looking for a good fae romance. First of all, there's very little romance in her books, but more importantly, she doesn't deal with the fae. She has a character who is a pixie, and she describes a sort of pixie culture that she has created. And the pixies have a lot of turf wars with fairies - but these are the little mischeivous types of fairies that everyone thinks of, and do not really deal with the Celtic fae legends at all. No full sized fairies, no seelie or unseelie courts or anything like that.

message 25: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments thanks nichole. I did started with kim harrison and well i passed a couple of chapters before i put it down.
Im not really a fan of first person writing. there is twilight and sucubus by richelle mead and that is it. Haven't even read the Otherworld series because of this. You're right im really looking for a good fantasy romance series.
Thanks for all the above suggestions but as of now, i'm still fishing here and there reading reviews.
Nothing yet that got me interested.

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Oh, I completely forgot. Have you read the Tairen Soul series by CL Wilson? The series starts with Lord of the Fading Lands, and that is about a fae hero claiming his mate as his queen, etc. A lot of people like it. Maybe you should give it a whirl.

message 27: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments new_user wrote: "Oh, I completely forgot. Have you read the Tairen Soul series by CL Wilson? The series starts with Lord of the Fading Lands, and that is about a fae hero claiming his mate as his que..."
Oh yes!just last week. It was awesome! although a lot of fae language but i loved it. I've read all three. Hope she makes a book about the guards.
Thanks for mentioning that.

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Oh, I just saw you mentioned it in your first post. D'oh! Sorry about that. LOL.

message 29: by Purr More (new)

Purr More (m222) Deanne, have you tried Lauren Dane's A Touch of Fae? It is part of the Witches Knot series. Also, Bedeviled by Maureen Child.

message 30: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments Michelle wrote: "Deanne, have you tried Lauren Dane's A Touch of Fae? It is part of the Witches Knot series. Also, Bedeviled by Maureen Child."

no i haven't i'll check it out now. thanks for all the help you guys.I really really appreciate all the suggestions since googling it doesn't come up with anything that caught my eye. Still slumping with this genre although i did picked up Alyssa Day's and Jacquelyn Franks new releases.It seems to tide me down a little.

message 31: by Purr More (new)

Purr More (m222) I forgot a couple. These, along with A Touch of Fae are all erotic romance.

Night Elves Wicked Pleasures
Dark Elves I Taken (there are several in this series)

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Michelle wrote: "I forgot a couple. These, along with A Touch of Fae are all erotic romance.

Night Elves Wicked Pleasures
Dark Elves I Taken (there are several in this series)"

Dark Elves...yummy. That's some naughty stuff :)

message 33: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Since you like Richelle Mead, I'll second the vote for Storm Born. Seems that the series is just going to go more and more heavily into the Fae as it progresses.

message 34: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 13, 2009 12:52PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Mercedes Lacky did a series about elves too. Born to Run is I THINK the first book in the series.

Also Andre Norton did a series with her. Elven Blood is one of of the books of it

These are more UF than PNR--but still good series.

Born to Run (SERRAted Edge, #1) by Mercedes Lackey Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) by Andre Norton

message 35: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments ooohhh i just read Emma Holly and i loved it!...i'm hunting down Dan Aidan's book right now..

Ann I've check Mercedes and I think I will pick it up.

message 36: by Purr More (new)

Purr More (m222) I just this list here on GR, maybe it will give you some ideas, if you haven't found it already :)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2512

message 37: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments Michelle wrote: "I just this list here on GR, maybe it will give you some ideas, if you haven't found it already :)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2512"

oh wow, thank you for this!!!

message 38: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments Deanne, this is Young Adult fiction, but you might like it anyway. Celia Rees's Supernatural Trilogy mixes ghost and faery lore with intriguing British history tidbits (such as the Plague years), when two parallel worlds intersect for four young people.
City of Shadows Book 1
A Trap in Time Book 2
The Host Rides Out Book 3