College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > Where do you read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess I love reading whenever I get a chance, but what is your favorite reading location? Do you like to read outdoors? In bed? At your desk?

Pictures of your favoring reading spot are welcome too!

I prefer to read on the couch with a blanket and either some water and tea. Plus a snack, of course. Lately, though, I've been falling asleep on the couch :( And reading in the lobby before work! I really need to get some good couch time in this weekend.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) | 109 comments In a very comfy rocking chair in my room.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I LOVE reading outside mostly when I can. I have this great chair outside. Other than that I either read in my bed or on this really comfy round chair I have.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I can read anywhere. But my favorite place is in my bed, I can relax and if I get tired there is no need to move I simply sleep. Then when I wake up I go right back to reading. It's the perfect spot.

message 5: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I read on my couch right next to a huge window area in my living room... the only problem is my mom doesn't like the shade open because the sunlight bleaches the furniture. Which I think is DUMB because why bother having windows at all if you don't want the sunlight to come inside! It doesn't make sense.

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 188 comments I love to read in my room away from all of the distractions. I just sit or lay down on my bed for hours at a time until I get tired and fall asleep.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I like reading in bed cause then I can just fall asleep and my book is there waiting for me when I wake up. I also like to read in this big comfy chair in our living room all curled up with a blanket, or when the sun is out and I have a day off there is nothing better than reading outside...or maybe even grabbing a towel and going to the beach. I have to have books all over the house because I never know where I'll be when I want to read and I hate having to always find my book.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) At school, I have a favorite bench to read on (its on a balcony with a little garden... its pretty much amazing and not too many people on campus know about it.)At home I also have a favorite spot in my backyard.

Otherwise if I have to read inside, I have my designated "reading couch"... its super comfy :)

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) 100_5776

My friend Lina's favorite place to read/study was on her balcony, which was in between the floor I lived on and the floor below me, so she would always be semi-interrupted by people going up and down the steps.

100_5969

All the boys would sit outside their hostel during the 3:30 tea break and read.

100_3095

When it wasn't extremely hot or cold, I would also read outside on my balcony, because if I got bored I could just look at the view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyless_... (I later moved my second bedframe out on the balcony when my chair started hurting my butt.)

100_6365

But the absolute ideal spot for reading was right here, out back behind the tea stall. People wouldn't see me and wouldn't bug me, unless they were my friends and knew where to look for me. Plus, I had easy access to endless cups of chai just by turning around and yelling through the window.

Picture 141

Nowadays I either read here, in my little bookshelf nook, or in my bed, although I find that if I read in my bed, I can't sleep the next night because I've been conditioned to read there and not sleep there.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I read in my bed usually. There isn't really another place to read in a dorm room. If I'm at home I sometimes read on the couch, but my room provides more privacy, so I usually end up on my bed again.

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess I could go for reading outside at a tea stall!

Do any of you like to read in cafes? I have to be in a certain mindset to read in cafes, but I especially like to read in places like that in the mornings, when it's typically pretty quiet.

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I can't read in public places. I love people watching too much! :P

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I love to read on the beach. When there is no beach available, I love to read out in the sun on the deck in my lounge chair. If the weather is bad or at night I love to read in bed or on the couch.

I normally have my ipod in while i am reading so I can read in public places I do tend to get distracted and watch people around me. When classes start I take the train into the city and have 45 min each way to read.

message 14: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Jess, I love cafes! Sometimes it's hard to concentrate but it's nice knowing you can get a cup of tea, coffee or a scone whenever you want, and it's also nice not having to deal with people who would be hanging around at home.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) In my college town my favorite bar had a patio that overlooked a creek so if I ever had several days off in a row and the weather was nice I would always make a point to take the bus down there and drink beer, eat pizza, and read. The bartenders were friends so they didn't bug me but occasionally another customer would harass me about reading but then I could just use big words and intimidate them so they left me alone.

message 16: by Nuri (last edited Jun 25, 2009 11:42PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments 1. I think it's called "the Terrace." Dirty old benches and tables, lined up along the engineering building, letting in just the right amount of sunlight, and, on a good day, an amazing view of Memorial Glade. I read much of Campbell's Biology text and a large portion of Proust there.

2. A comfortable armchair in Morrison Reading Room -- or the Doe Reading Room just upstairs, but that's usually for less leisurely reading.

3. The papasan chair in my living room. I'm often sitting here, though. My roommates have jokingly referred to it as my "throne."

4. Bed. Favorite Saturday morning: waking up to waste the first hours of the day finishing last night's book.

5. Rooftop, on a not-too-sunny day.

message 17: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) Good question! I can read just about anywhere...I follow Rory Gilmore's advice and always carry a book with me!

My favorite spots to read are outside underneath either one of our big oak trees, on my backporch, or on my bed. I also have this really comfy beach chair that's easy to move wherever my heart desires :)

I also have this spot about a mile behind my house...it's this wonderful cliff that overlooks a set of railroad tracks. I don't mind the noise of the trains, so I go up there a lot to read.

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Do any of you read in the bathtub?

message 19: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Yes, baths and books are great. (as long as you don't drop the book) I enjoy reading almost anywhere. I also read in my car a lot.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I like to read in the bath also, it is rare though. I only read in the tub with my books, incase they slip. My top place to read is outside.

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz Right now, primarily in bed. I love to read in the bathtub, and at home either on patio swing or on the porch. However, I'm not at home and my flat doesn't have a bath tub. Sometimes when my boyfriend goes to do work in the library I'll curl up on a couch while he works at computer.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Like Jess, I follow Rory's advice and carry a book everywhere, even the grocery store (in case there are long lines, whatever). I can't read in the car, which makes me upset because that just feels like time wasted. I read in my bed a lot or in big comfy chairs. I don't do so well when the TV is on or there are people being kind of loud in the same room. I love reading outside, but right now it's too hot to be outside. I do a lot of reading at work because the kids I babysit are old enough to entertain themselves and I'm pretty much there to make sure no one dies.

Overall though, there's just something about being curled up in bed, under the covers, reading and sipping on a Coke in a glass of ice with a Snickers bar. I swear...it will cure whatever ails you.

message 23: by Jess (last edited Jun 26, 2009 05:42AM) (new)

Jess I swapped my bed for a roll-out futon, since my room in the new house is a bit smaller than in the old apartment. I've taken to sitting, propped up with pillows and books with a tall glass of ice water and Goldfish or blue tortilla chips. I tried popcorn (a favorite snack) but unless I air pop it in the microwave, it gets too messy!

I also carry a book everywhere. I'm going to have to bring a couple with me in mid-July, when I report for jury duty!

message 24: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Jess, I brought a book when I reported for jury duty... it definitely was a good idea. We waited for probably 2 hours.

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Lori, I totally know what you mean about reading in the car. I can only do it if the road is smooth, because reading on bumpy, hilly roads just makes me nauseated which isn't fun. And much like everyone else here,I always follow Rory's advice--I always have book with me (even if I go out to dinner with my boyfriend--we both put a book in my handbag in caswe have to wait for our table!).

message 26: by Jess (last edited Jun 26, 2009 07:36AM) (new)

Jess I don't know if I can read in cars any longer. I attempted to many times to and fro school when I was in Egypt, but the driving there is hair-raising at best. Not exactly conducive to good studying or reading :(

I might also bring my laptop when I report for jury duty. With outlets and free WiFi aplenty, I may as well!

And, as a child, one of my favorite places to read was while eating breakfast. My poor parents...it's a miracle I'm as conversational as I am these days, considering I grew up with my nose in a book.

message 27: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I have a difficult time reading in the car if it is moving. I realize my comment sounded like that but I get car sick. Found a wonderful item though: Bonine tablets. Now I can read while traveling. Which is great since we are headed back to California for a week.

message 28: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (kellieag) My favorite place to read is on my back deck with a cup of tea or coffee.

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Liz, I can't even read if it's straight! I just have to be able to see where we're going. That's awesome that you have your boyfriend trained to carry a book with him when you guys go out! I hope the next guy I date reads a lot because I think there's something so romantic about the idea of sitting next to someone and reading books, occasionally reading a passage aloud to discuss.

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) Bonine tablets work?? I always get car sick when I try to read in the car, it sucks :/

message 31: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Yes, they work. And, in my case, they don't make me sleepy. I have tried the others and they either make me sleep or dopey. I hate that.

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz Lori wrote: "Liz, I can't even read if it's straight! I just have to be able to see where we're going. That's awesome that you have your boyfriend trained to carry a book with him when you guys go out! I ho..."

Actually, the greatest part was that he loves reading on his own, so there really wasn't much training at all :D We're both trying to get the other to read several books, which will be a bit easier once I've got my BA (next May!) and his MA is finished (in September).

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen | 13 comments I like to read outside, especially on my boat. Although, I found that I have to have a good pair of sunglasses or else I'm squinting like crazy and get a headache.

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I usually read outside (either on the deck or under a tree), in bed, or in a chair in my room.

I can't read in a car either!

message 35: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments 1. Bed.
2. Cafés.
3. Library.
4. Wherever I can.

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2 comments Usually I read in my room/dorm but sometimes I read in the little cafe we have on campus. If there isn't any construction in the library (like last year) I can read in the library as long as I don't know anyone else around (which doesn't happen a lot on such a small campus). I also like to read when I have long car rides with my family (of course someone else is driving the car lol)

message 37: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
My sister reads while she is driving. Drives the rest of us insane. I guess it isn't much different than texting while driving. Oh, and once I saw a semi driver with a paperback in one hand on top of the steering wheel! Crazy!

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I love to sit out on my deck in the backyard and read. Here is a picture:

Summertime

If its too cold or something to be outside I'll usually read in my bed, or in the chair in our living room.

message 39: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
that looks like a PERFECT place to read! i think we should all post pics of our favorite places to read!

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments Everywhere but outside. It's really gross in Mississippi. And my current room mates have 3 cats, and they love to crawl all over me so that pretty much leaves me with my own room for right now. The coffee shop here doesn't have a nice atmosphere, so I don't go there often, either.

message 41: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments I mostly read in my room but sometimes when it's nice out I'll go to the park and read or something.

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments I love being all snugged up in my bed. I have a balcony where I live this year too and that has proven to be a good spot.. but now it's cold in VT :(

message 43: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen I love reading in cafes, but ever since my favorite closed down I've been kind of stuck. I end up spending a lot of time in my room reading. If I spend more than an hour though, I get figedy and want to go someplace else. I think I'm going to start trying outside near my apartment complex's pool.

message 44: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Daniel, that reminded me, a new coffee place opened up near my house and my brother's friend's mother owns it... I might have to check it out and see if it's a good reading spot.

message 45: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 58 comments I like to read while tanning in the park/by the pool
or in the bath tub with a glass of white wine.

message 46: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen Tahleen wrote: "Daniel, that reminded me, a new coffee place opened up near my house and my brother's friend's mother owns it... I might have to check it out and see if it's a good reading spot."

I'm jealous. I think I might struggle my entire life to find another spot like the one I had as an undergraduate.

message 47: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Ha, well since this is in my hometown where I am currently living with my parents, this isn't quite the same, but maybe it'll be a nice place to escape to.

message 48: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I thought I'd resurrect this topic. Is there a particular place that you love to read? A place that you simply can't read? Somewhere you wish you could read but never seem to be able to?

message 49: by Alaa (new)

Alaa | 5 comments I can read anywhere but I prefer a quite place like my bedroom.

message 50: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments This is right outside of our school's library, there are benches underneath trees that I sit on and read all the time. Unless there's a rally or crowds of people, it's very relaxing.

Photobucket

Other than that, my bed is my favorite place!

« previous 1 3