BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Favorites! > I just read it, loved it and you will too!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
This topic is for books that you know we will love and want others to share in your find...

Be sure to tell a snippit of the greatness:

The Kite Runner by: Khaled Hosseini
Gripping novel page turner, hate the character within the first 81 pages and then learn to forgive and love him again.

message 2: by Roni (new)

Roni (V_A_B) READ THE BOOK THIEF BY MARKUS ZUZAK!!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow

An epic poem, free verse, novel about lycans (similar to werewolves). Fast paced story about Lark (who can change from dog to man) and his pack, Anthony the dogcatcher and his girlfriend, Mr. Venable and Detective Peabody.. and how they are all interlinked. One part Blood and gore, one part love story.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie Read The Eight, by Katherine Neville.

This is a book that has everything... secret codes, romance, chess, history, adventure, the plot will suck you right in! This book is by far one of my all time favorites!

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I read Jane Eyre not long ago and whoo, if you haven't read that, check it out. Great book.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 7 comments READ THE BOOK THIEF BY MARKUS ZUZAK!!!!!!!!!!

DITTO!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

For a great story and beautiful prose read "The Shadow of The Wind". I was sorry upon finishing because I missed the sheer beauty of Zafon's writing.

message 8: by L Clare (new)

L Clare (cloud9clare) That's the best summary of The Kite Runner I've heard! And it *is* a wonderful book :)

message 9: by L Clare (new)

L Clare (cloud9clare) Oddly enough, The Shadow of the Wind was something I just couldn't get into. I did love the opening chapter though, with the description of the library. I think maybe I loved that too much and the book couldn't live up to my expectations.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood. This book is one of my favorites. It is a novel about a guy named Charlie who works at the town cemetery. He meets a woman named Tess who is about to embark on a boat race. The two meet, get to know each other. However something is keeping Charlie from going forward with Tess. Awesome book.

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Another Kite Runner vote here, un-put-down-able, fantastic, insightful, emotional, simply one of the best books I have read!

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 13 comments No kite runner here but anyone interested in a fantasitc biography needs to pick up The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. THat has to be the tenth time i have pimped that book on this site but i was so impressed with Morris' writting i cant shut up about it.

message 13: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Matthew is Roosevelt's Pimp

message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 6 comments Well you know he is one of Teddy's boys.

message 15: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Twilight by Stephanie Meyer is a really good book. You will wonder what's going to happen the whole way through the book. Oh, and I just read the Maximum Ride series. Phenominal. You have to read them. The books makes you want read and read and read, and never stop.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVED the Gallagher Girl series by Ally Carter. Even though they seem a little childish, they're really good!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Molly | 1 comments I have to add The Book Thief as well I am in a book club and I have not met one person that did not love it. It's excellent.

message 18: by Pinkbullets (new)

Pinkbullets | 2 comments
.. so nice to hear how many people loved THE BOOK THIEF just as much as my sister and me did. :) This truly is a wonderful read.

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan I LOVED The Book Thief! Zusak's creativity with words is amazing!

message 20: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin A really good series is the Warriors series, by Erin Hunter. If you like cats, adventure, action, suspense, excitement, battle, love, betrayal, and all that good stuff, you must read it. The first book is called Into the Wild.

Some other good books are the Percy Jackson Series, Septimus Heap Series, Inkheart/Inkspell, Eragon/Eldest, and The Thief Lord. Of course the Harry Potter Series, but everybody has heard of those.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments I hae just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and I have to say I absolutely loved it. It is an amazing story of friendship.

message 22: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (CelesteLueck) | 27 comments I too loved Inkheart and Inkspell and am looking forward to Inkdeath; which I think comes out on October.

I just finished Chasing the Devil's Tail by David Fulmer and have order the next one in the series Jass. These are mysteries set in New Orleans' redlight district at about the turn of the last century. They very good and they keep you guessing. Look them up, you won't be disappointed.

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 112 comments just finished Adams v Jefferson
discusses election of 1800
easily the best portrait of the various Founding Fathers and how they were just as human as any1
also discusses rise of political parties and main political philosophies that still contend for supremacy today
excellent book for an election year

message 24: by Vanessa (last edited Apr 09, 2008 05:14AM) (new)

Vanessa | 4 comments I recommend the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. I fell in love with the first book and it is by far one of my favorites of all times! The other two are definitely good books but they don't quite compare. It has something for everyone: mystery, humor, suspense, love, and a protaganist who grabs your heart from the beginning...

I also second the vote for Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Amazing read!

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ my three favorite series:
the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray
the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
Percy Jackson & the Olympians by Rick Riordan

message 26: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Another good book, The Kite Rider by Geraldine McCaughrean. If you like historical fiction, that is. It is very exciting and suspenseful, and really gives me a feel for that time!

message 27: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I really love Stephenie Meyer's books. And James Patterson's. They both right in first person and are amazing at getting their story out. If you want a great read definitely check them out.

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 07, 2008 11:30AM) (new)

I recently finished and I warmly recommend "An Artist of the Floating World" by Kazuo Ishiguro. It is for sure a great book, the awards it received being well deserved.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Excellent mystery. Could hardly put it down!!!

message 30: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 10 comments I like Dan Brown and any Jules Verne classic.
Anyone who hasn't tried them as yet, I suggest you do!

message 31: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (SuzanneRamos) | 5 comments Hey all,

I just finished Outlander by Diana Gabaldon a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it; I was by Borders today & I couldn't resist picking up the next one in the series, Dragonfly in Amber...I'd love to hear what you guys thought of it you've gotten a chance to read it :)

Southernbelle0326 | 13 comments Widow of the South!!!!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) Southernbelle, I just ordered Widow of the South from paperbackswap! =)

Southernbelle0326 | 13 comments Awesome Lauren. I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think afterwards.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) I definately will!

message 36: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (katymac55) The woman in white!!!!!!! the best book ever for those of you who like the classics and are dying for a page turner. The characters were all so different and so facinating! It was kind of long but i wouldn't have it any other way. I would really recommend it to anyone.

message 37: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 42 comments The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one that I recommend to everyone who loves a great story with some unusual history thrown in. It was one of those serendipitous reads that are so great to come across. Of course, I second the Kite Runner and have recommended it for some time now. One other book that I'm constantly recommending is John Irving's A Widow For One Year.

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 12 comments Hope wrote: "Read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Excellent mystery. Could hardly put it down!!!"

I LOVED this book. It was a great mystery and it kept me guessing.

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 42 comments I just finished Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos and will finish its sequel, Belong to Me: A Novel today. I loved both of these books, was so pleasantly surprised by them, as I didn't expect them to be such great reads. I highly recommend them.

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos Belong to Me: A Novel by Marisa de los Santos

message 40: by Dawn (last edited Feb 20, 2009 12:29PM) (new)

Dawn (sunniedayup) I recently read The Red Tent, by Diamante and just finished it.It was a tremendously interesting book!
The story is based on the Old Testament mention of Dianah, daughter of Jacob (remember the Jacob and Esau story from Sunday school?). It is a fascinatingly,imaginative look at how the author sees her "real" story. Don't let the Bibical part hold you back! It is nothing like what you think and very direct and real-to-life for that era. I especially enjoyed seeing the stories of women who rarely rated more than a mention in the Bible fully fleshed out and shown the importance we all know they deserved.

message 41: by Catamorandi (last edited Mar 13, 2009 11:34AM) (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I agree with Eye of the Storm and Carrie. READ THE BOOK THIEF BY MARCUS ZADEK.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (AJourneyInReading) Long Way Gone; Memoirs of a Soldier Boy by Ismael Beah.............. has to be one of the best books that I have read in the past year.

True story of a child soldier in Sierra Leone in the early to mid 90's.

message 43: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Kat wrote: "Long Way Gone; Memoirs of a Soldier Boy by Ismael Beah.............. has to be one of the

Yes it was a good book read it at the end of last year.

message 44: by Jim (new)

Jim | 112 comments AMERICAN LION:ANDREW JACKSON IN THE WHITE HOUSE by John Meachum

excellent history of tumultous years(mainly the 1810s through the 1830s) in America's history and the man who was at the center of the transformation of the presidency into what it is today

message 45: by Ilana (new)

Ilana (IlanaShayn) Graceling! It was one of the best YA fantasies I've read in a while. Katsa was a great character. I can't wait for Cashore's new book!

message 46: by Jim (last edited Apr 05, 2009 12:09PM) (new)

Jim | 112 comments A LONG WAY HOME: A BOY SOLDIER'S MEMOIR by Ishmael Beah
this book will certainly put one's own life situation in perspective

message 47: by Manda (new)

Manda The Panda (mandapanda17) | 7 comments Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. The book was fantastic.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate | 12 comments Lowboy by John Wray. Schitzophrenic teenager goes off his meds and goes on the subway with a mission to save the world. His mother and a police detective give chase, hoping to find him before he has a complete breakdown.

message 49: by Shari (new)

Shari | 3 comments Kathryn wrote: "The woman in white!!!!!!! the best book ever for those of you who like the classics and are dying for a page turner. The characters were all so different and so facinating! It was kind of long but ..."

Kathryn, I loved The Woman in White too! Wilkie Collins is one of my favourite authors. If you haven't already done so, try The Moonstone and The Law and The Lady, both excellent, both page turning classics.

message 50: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Just finished The Book Thief. I LOVED it and I'm definitely not a teen :) Also Sarah's Key by tatiena de Rosnay is fantastic

« previous 1