Goodreads Developers discussion

get quotes API method

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

hi all,

is there a way to get quotes from a specific author/book? had a look at api documentation but all i found was a method to add quotes to the database.

thanks,

jan

message 2: by Otis (new)

Otis Chandler | 18 comments Not yet - but we can put it on the todo list. To help us prioritize, what are you hoping to build?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) and:
On a scale from 1-10 how awesome will it be?

:)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i thought it'd be nice to have some app (screensaver, widget, etc) display random quotes from your favourite authors. or maybe a twitter bot which sends you daily, personalised quotes. that would be awesome.

message 5: by Otis (new)

Otis Chandler | 18 comments We do have a widget that does that (on widgets tab of my account page). We also have an RSS feed of each users quotes that may suffice (look for rss icon on my quotes page).

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

hmm... no, i don't really want to read the quotes i've already added to the system, i want to see quotes i don't know yet, but from authors i like (which can easily be queried via the api).

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments Bump. I'd like to see a quotes api call for this reason, too.

message 8: by Andres (new)

Andres | 1 comments Chiming in -- would also be interested in this! If one could get quotes by ISBN it would be great.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Hall | 1 comments Also chiming in - definitely want this.

message 10: by Ettore (new)

Ettore Pasquini Sorry, at the moment we don't have plans to support that.

message 11: by Dulshani (new)

Dulshani | 2 comments I wish this feature wa available :(

message 12: by Amit (new)

Amit Tiwary (amtw) +1. Please make this available.

message 13: by rockfortrookie (new)

rockfortrookie | 1 comments +1. I would love that too. Please consider it.

message 14: by v (new)

v (avins) Guys, please consider this :)

message 15: by Sree (new)

Sree Hari | 2 comments Hey!

I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to build something of the sort for myself. So, I went ahead and made a very raw version of something that can get top quotes using the existing API methods.

Here's a link to the same. I really want to extend this and make it clean and all. Will try and do that when I have some time. Also, if anyone wants to work on building this(or something along the lines) further, I would love to join!

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

https://github.com/mon95/Goodreads-Qu...

(This was done with a little bit of tweaking of code found here:
https://github.com/sefakilic/goodreads)

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt (mattcurtis) | 18 comments Sree wrote: "Hey!

I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to build something of the sort for myself. So, I went ahead and made a very raw version of something that can get top quotes using the existi..."

Good work!

message 17: by Sree (new)

Sree Hari | 2 comments @Matt Thank you so much!

message 18: by Sejal (new)

Sejal (sejalv) Sree wrote: "Hey!

I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to build something of the sort for myself. So, I went ahead and made a very raw version of something that can get top quotes using the existi..."

@Sree - Thanks for sharing. I've started with a very similar project/exercise, and may be extending it. Will contact you for the same soon.

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve | 1 comments I wish this feature wa available soon :(

message 20: by Geetanjali (new)

Geetanjali | 2 comments Yeah, I too wish the same.

message 21: by Geetanjali (new)

Geetanjali | 2 comments When I look at the webpages, for example, for humor (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/...), I can only see 3000 quotes, although the website says there are 31526 of them. Are all the quotes not accessible?

message 22: by Desmoline (new)

Desmoline Awa (awadesmoline) | 1 comments Quotes would perhaps be the best resource you can expose in the API. Please (re) consider this. I'll be ready to pay for using it.

message 23: by Vivek (new)

Vivek Venkatesh | 1 comments +1 for this feature!

message 24: by Suraj (new)

Suraj Verma (surajverma) | 1 comments +1 for this feature!!

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (jmangue) | 1 comments +1, this would be a great feature.

message 26: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 1 comments +1 Goodreads has one of the best collections of quotes - it would be awesome to have this feature!

message 27: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) | 1 comments +1 as h*ck

message 28: by Fred (new)

Fred Zimmerman (fredzannarbor) | 3 comments +11

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 09, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

it's almost 10 years since my original post. oh, wait, what's that?
(watches tumbleweed disappear on the horizon)

message 30: by Joel (new)

Joel (sundavrgarm) | 1 comments We want this feature! +100

message 31: by N (new)

N (n__h) Definitely would love this!

message 32: by Vikarti (new)

Vikarti (vikarti_anatra) | 3 comments +100

message 33: by Trey (last edited May 21, 2018 05:54PM) (new)

Trey | 1 comments Hi everyone,

I have constructed a RESTful API using the resources provided by GoodReads quote search engine. You can query by title, author, or tag through simple URL endpoints and receive JSON data back in your AJAX GET request. Further documentation of how to use the API on the landing page below.

The API is open and needs no key, so have at it! Hope this provides at least a temporary solution for everyone here.

https://goodquotesapi.herokuapp.com/#...

message 34: by Ewre (new)

Ewre | 1 comments up for the request of api.

message 35: by Kieran (new)

Kieran (protome) | 10 comments Trey wrote: "Hi everyone,

I have constructed a RESTful API using the resources provided by GoodReads quote search engine. You can query by title, author, or tag through simple URL endpoints and receive JSON da..."

Thanks for this, I'm working on a little iOS app that displays quotes then lets you do some stuff with them. Your API filled in a gap in Goodread's API for me. Hopefully it's only temporary (I'd like to be able to get the book's IDs back for proper integration with the rest of Goodreads API like an official solution would have) but it does what I need for now!

My progress so far if anyone is interested, it's still early days though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-tfG...

message 36: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Odle (modle13) | 1 comments Trey wrote: "Hi everyone,

I have constructed a RESTful API using the resources provided by GoodReads quote search engine. You can query by title, author, or tag through simple URL endpoints and receive JSON da..."

You rock. Quick and dirty python module implementation: https://gitlab.com/modle13/goodreads-...

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee Bitros | 2 comments Trey wrote: "Hi everyone,

Great work! I tried to access this but I'm getting a page saying " Application Error, An error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. If you are the application owner, check your logs for details. You can do this from the Heroku CLI with the command", has this been taken down?

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 27, 2019 10:52AM) (new)

Trey wrote: "Hi everyone,

Hey man the heroku application seems to be down as mentioned by Dee

message 39: by Crates (new)

Crates Media (cr8s) | 4 comments A working API to pull quotes has been a frequently-requested feature for over a decade, now. Come on, guys. Please add this simple feature. It's not even especially difficult to implement.

Also, a comment for Trey: I absolutely love your API, but it doesn't seem to work for fetching pages after the first one (at least, not for searching quotes by tag). I'm happy to submit a pull request to fix this, if you can link me to the repo!

message 40: by Dee (last edited Sep 26, 2019 04:31PM) (new)

Dee Bitros | 2 comments Crates have you managed to get Trey's api to work?

message 41: by George (last edited Nov 12, 2019 02:50AM) (new)

George Langham (georgewl) | 2 comments I'd really like there to be:

book.quotes - get all quotes related to a specific book, with some optional params such as count
author.quotes - get all quotes attributed to an author, with some optional params such as count and page
search.quotes - search quotes with a fuzzy search, similar to book and author search
quotes.list - get quotes by a tag or description, possibly with fuzzy search as optional param

message 42: by Luiz (new)

Luiz | 1 comments UP for this request! It would be great for a couple of projects

message 43: by MKG (new)

MKG MKG (writer_mkg) | 1 comments chipping in ... need this API

message 44: by Faris (new)

Faris | 1 comments Would really like this.