The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2013 December Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments December is such a crazy, busy month, but hopeful fun too. With this thought in mind this month’s reading challenge is to read a children’s book—picture or chapter book, whichever you like and have time for. If you have a chance share your book with a child you know, or just read it and feed your own inner child. Enjoy!

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I already know what that will be. Aside from stories about the birth of the Savior, "Winnie the Pooh's Christmas" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" are my favorites, and we read them every year...I wil post when I am done :0)
Perfect reading challenge for December, BTW. Thank you!

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I gave all of my nieces and nephews 25 Christmas books and wrapped each on separately so they could open one each night as a count down to Christmas. I hope to get to read a few of them to the kids this year!

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Carolyn wrote: "I gave all of my nieces and nephews 25 Christmas books and wrapped each on separately so they could open one each night as a count down to Christmas. I hope to get to read a few of them to the kids..."
I have heard of people doing this. What a fun idea!

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 378 comments Our book club does a Christmas storytime brunch with our kids in December-- we all bring our Christmas picture books and read them!

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I have more than 25 children's Christmas books and my goal is to read one every day in December, just like the kids. I am not going to wrap mine tho!

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 906 comments Carolyn wrote: "I gave all of my nieces and nephews 25 Christmas books and wrapped each on separately so they could open one each night as a count down to Christmas. I hope to get to read a few of them to the kids..."

Wow! An "Advent Calendar" but a lot more involvement for the kids! I'll have to remember this when my granddaughter is a bit older.

message 8: by Debbie (last edited Dec 03, 2013 07:45AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 906 comments I hadn't decided what to read this month. I had to return a book to the library so I decided to do the round of the display of children's books. I happened on The Christmas House by Ann Turner.

It was a delightful poetic stroll through the reactions of people as they are home for Christmas. There are even poems by the cat, the table and the stairs. My favorite were the poem from the table and the poem from grandmother. I read them out loud to my cats who weren't particularly engaged. But who cares? I was.

So I have completed the challenge, but certainly not with reading children's books this fine season. Who knows what I will spot on my next "lightly tripping" pass through the library's display. I do so love, library folke, that you do this for us.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I just posted November's reading challenge winner. Take and look and see what they read.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Britt, Book Habitue wrote: "Our book club does a Christmas storytime brunch with our kids in December-- we all bring our Christmas picture books and read them!"

What a great idea and fun for everyone!

message 11: by Marinda (new)

Marinda (marindak) | 30 comments If you are looking for a non-Christmas picture book, here are some I have enjoyed recently: I Dare You Not to Yawn, a fun bedtime story; Mr. Wuffles, a wordless book about a tuxedo cat and miniature aliens; Mustache Baby, answers the question "Will the baby's mustache make him a good guy or a villian?"; Sophie's Squash, a sweet book about a girl expressing her nurturing instinct; I Need My Own Country, about a fiesty young girl and the creative ways she declares her independence.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky | 276 comments This month I read Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman, which is a cute story, imaginative with great illustrations!

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Marinda wrote: "If you are looking for a non-Christmas picture book, here are some I have enjoyed recently: I Dare You Not to Yawn, a fun bedtime story; Mr. Wuffles, a wordless book..."

I got such a kick out of Mr. Wuffles. It wasn't what I was expecting; I didn't know about the aliens before I got it. But with David Wiesner as the author/illustrator I knew it would be great-- I sure wasn't disappointed.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 906 comments I've added a second book to my books for this challenge. I read -- for the first time ever -- Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. It was as enchanting as I expected it to be!

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I have read Bad Kitty Christmas and Llama Llama Holiday Drama, among others Both were very cute, especially Bad Kitty!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Here's a fun wintery children's picture book:Snowballs by Lois Ehlert. The illustrations are so cute!

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky | 45 comments We have read a ton of Christmas books thanks to the library reserve system! I'm reading How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas by Jeff Guinn. I LOVE LOVE his Autobiography of Santa Claus so this is a real treat for me.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (sudsandbrewer) | 30 comments I read "The Christmas Train" to my granddaughter Savannah.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda | 164 comments I read Snowmen at Christmas to my 1st graders. They really enjoyed it. On each page is a little mouse and they really enjoyed looking for the mouse on each page.

message 20: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 43 comments I read "The Christmas Train" to a granddaughter, more than once since once isn't enough for my little one. I also read "Christmas from Heaven: the True Story of the Berlin Candy Bomber" which was a big hit with my grandsons. I also read (many times) the little musical books for toddlers, "Up On the Housetop", "Rudolph's Nose", "Silent Night", and "O Little Town of Bethlehem."

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Not Christmas, but I read the Gruffalo, what a cute story, now i need to read the Gruffalo's Child!

message 22: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (dragonshelver) | 35 comments I read Twas the Day Before Christmas, which is a story of how Clement Moore wrote Twas the Night Before Christmas. I really enjoyed it. Very charming pictures and story.

message 23: by Allen (last edited Dec 23, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Allen (allengreenwell) | 19 comments I read a lot of books with my six year old daughter, but the other night I read her my favorite children's book, Fox in Socks. We've also read The Night Before Christmas this holiday season.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Read "The Night Before Christmas" and "Olive the Other Reindeer" with my grand daughter last night. She loved the play on words in Olive, and then SHE read ME the other. Love reading books with my grand children :0)

message 25: by Micah (new)

Micah | 16 comments My 5 year old son and I have been reading Roald Dahl books this year. We started with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory earlier this year, then James and the Giant Peach this summer. This month we read Fantastic Mr Fox. When we finished my son immediately turned back to the first chapter and started over again! It's a favorite right now. :)

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Looking back over the year there’s been a lot of children’s books I’ve loved. Some of my favorites, such as Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby and It's a Tiger! by David LaRochelle, can be found on the Beehive Book Nominee’s list for 2013-2014 at http://www.slcolibrary.org/rc/rcwr/pd... (In case you were looking for other great children's books to read.)

One of the cool things about the Beehive Books are that those of you with children or grandchildren can grab ballot when you check these out at the Salt Lake County Library System and let them vote on what they think of these books. (Sorry adults, only kids get to pick the winners on this award.) These are great books, and there is even some teen categories for nominees.

message 27: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 47 comments I've read so many this month, but one of my favorites us The Tale of Three Trees. Also read The Little Match Girl and loved it.

message 28: by Kira (new)

Kira (kiramoody) | 17 comments I've read quite a few as well. I enjoyed the most, however The Sasquatch Escape I Suzanne selfors

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I read the Hundred Dresses, I would guess it would be a book for tweens and young teens. It was a good story with a great moral lesson!

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I just posted January's reading challenge for the up-coming year.

Make sure to post what you've read if you completed this month's reading challenge by December 31 to be included in this month's prize drawing.

If you want to be included in the monthly drawing you need to live in or near Salt Lake County and this information needs to appear in your Goodreads profile--I don't need specifics, just saying you live in Salt Lake is fine-- your account settings also need to allow me to send you a message through Goodreads, otherwise I can't tell you if you've won.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 378 comments Carolyn wrote: "I read the Hundred Dresses, I would guess it would be a book for tweens and young teens. It was a good story with a great moral lesson!"
My daughter read that a couple of years ago-- early elementary. She loved it.
We read a TON of Christmas picture books this month-- highlights include Santa Claus and the Three Bears, Santa Duck, If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, and Pete the Cat Saves Christmas.

message 32: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I have read a lot of children's books this month including The Hundred dresses, bad kitty, Fantastic Mr. Fox, How Dinosaurs say Merry Christmas, Is it Christmas Yet?, The pirate Christmas, and so many others! I have enjoyed them all!

message 33: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Becky wrote: "We have read a ton of Christmas books thanks to the library reserve system! I'm reading How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas by Jeff Guinn. I LOVE LOVE his Autobiography of Santa Claus so this is a real..."
I liked both of those books! They were really good.

message 34: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments I bought "Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree" for the family this year and so we all read that...I also read Will Moses' "Silent Night" and Patrick Lewis's "And the Soldiers Sang." That last was a picture book, yes, but not for very young children!

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments I read a Christmas picture book to my children every night between Thanksgiving and Christmas. A few new ones we enjoyed this year were The Christmas Train: A True Story, Olive, the Other Reindeer, The Christmas Cat and The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Pinata for the Pinon Tree. There were many others as well.

message 36: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 107 comments I reread The Book Thief.

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments December’s Reading Challenge drawing winner is Carolyn. She read a ton of books for this month's challenge. Here's a couple: The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes, Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel, Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl, How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas? by Jane Yolen-- to name a few.

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Congrats, Carolyn!
I also give a nod of admiration to Jenny, who read a book EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.to her kids. Quite the accomplishment in the busy month of December.

message 39: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 906 comments Congrats Carolyn!

message 40: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Debbie wrote: "Congrats Carolyn!"

Thanks!