Start by marking “How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?” as Want to Read:
How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?

How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas? (How Do Dinosaurs...?)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  561 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Ho! Ho! Ho! With more than 9 million books in print, America's favorite dinosaurs can't wait to celebrate Christmas!

From decorating the tree to wrapping presents, little dinosaurs love to celebrate Christmas-and everything about it. With ornaments on the branches and carolers singing at the door, the spirit of Christmas is finally here and filling the hearts of families ev
Published September 1st 2012 by The Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?

Kathryn
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dino fans seeking Christmas reads
A cute, fun, slightly different sort of Christmas story. Part of the popular "How Do Dinosaurs Say..." series, here we find a bevy of dinosaurs celebrating Christmas. First, all the naughty actions are presented (do dinosaurs sneak peeks at presents or trash the tree?), but these are quickly dismissed as dinosaurs are much more polite than than (they "carol with care" and go to sleep on time). And, of course, little readers can learn from these well-behaved dinosaurs ;-)

For some reason I've neve
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This book was chosen for Day 10 of my "25 Days of Christmas Books" blog series: https://www.theproblemsite.com/book-s...
Kristen
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love all the "How Do Dinosaurs..." books. They're just really cute stories about good and bad behaviors with cute, funny pictures. This one had a Christmas theme which was really cute. I found myself stumble on one or two of the rhymes though, so this one wasn't as fluid as the other books. But still overall a cute book - especially for the dino lover.
Elisabeth
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Exactly like what you'd expect - but I really like the idea of using it as a way to discuss expected behavior even with all the extra excitement, anticipation and sugar crashes that comes along with the holidays. :)
Paula
Illustrations and rhyming text present some of the different ways a well-behaved dinosaur can celebrate Christmas.
Two BookWorms Blog
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the How Do Dinosaurs… books! You might wonder why since, after all, these books are pointing out our faults and telling us, “No, no! You mustn’t do that!” Yet it’s done in such a spirit of caring that we don’t mind. They do not come across as didactic. Instead, we find them funny and can even sheepishly admit, “Yup, I’ve done that on occasion.”

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-childrens
A delightful book about the joys of Christmas. I love this whole "How do Dinosaurs . . . " series. It's so nice to see the sharp contrast of well behaved and poorly behaved dinosaurs.

**Talking Points - What are your favorite things about Christmas? Who are some people that you think are very kind and polite? How do you feel when you are around these people?
Jodie
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this one up for my little buddy who loves Dinosaurs. It was cute. I liked the illustrations and the flow of the story. Just a fun holiday read to share with the little dinosaur lover in your life.
Mely
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
I guess I'm over this dinosaur series. Wasn't particularly interested in the others but thought this holiday holiday-themed one would be a little different. Alas, still doesn't quite meet my expectations.
Jill
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-hour-books
I love to read this series with my story hour kids. They love the thought that dinosaurs can do things that they do and the colorful pictures really let them see different types of dinosaurs.
Krissy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-tristan
***Read to my son***
Samantha
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adorable while still teaching cute Christmas manners!
Katie Krimmel
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A humorous story about how dinosaurs may act during the holiday season of Christmas. Would they eat the Christmas tree, eat all of Santa’s cookies or would they behave and sing sweet Christmas carols with the neighbors? As an adult reading this book I see the dinosaurs as young children and how they may act during Christmas. For a child reading this they may see the humor in the destruction the dinosaurs make. In the end the book does have a good message to children about having good behavior.

J
Steven R. McEvoy
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with this book compared to the 'How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?' book. That one focused on both the social and religious aspects of the holidays. This one is almost a Dinosaur version of 'The Night Before Christmas', with a mix of what a Dinosaur should not do followed by what a good Dinosaur should do on Christmas eve. It would have been interesting to see more of the religious aspects of the holiday covered. That being said, it is a fun book that ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I love these Dinosaur books! In everyone I am just happy to read them aloud and gaze at all the detail in the brilliant illustrations. Like with any other “dinosaur” book, the question is asked as to how a dinosaur would act. The first half tells of dinosaurs that are more on the “naughty” list with their actions, temper tantrums and attitudes. Then the second part of the book goes over how good “dinosaurs” behave when amidst the holiday hullabaloo. I love that like the other books this one also ...more
Tiffany Bates
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book starts with how we would expect dinosaurs to behave around Christmas time. They are awful and destory everything. But they finish the book by saying that dinosaurs are actually well behaved and are very helpful. I really liked that the back of the cover had all the dinosaurs and their real names. Also the name was written on the page with the corresponding dinosaur.
This would fit kids between preschool and 4th grade. the younger kids would find the book silly and fun. While the olde
Ina
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
With its text filled with questions, there is plenty of opportunity to engage a storytime audience in the story and have them interact with the reading by answering the question before turning the page. Having some interaction between pages allows the audience more time to absorb the wonderful illustrations which fill this book. Although some of the behaviors would have landed dinosaur on the "naughty list" in the last portion of the book we find that dinosaur actually behaves quite well - he ev ...more
Janet
Sep 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Previously I have been a fan of this series, but I dislike this title. The illustrations were dark in tone and I wanted this to be a "story". Through the illustrations I was leaping from house to house--three different trees, different mantels, and different people. I know the dinosaurs are to represent the actions children might do, but this title just left me cold. I will be returning to some of the other titles in the series to sse if there is something I missed and perhaps I don't really lik ...more
Magila
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5

Really, there is not a significant drop off in quality between this book and any of the other How Does a Dinosaur... books. It's just quite specific to Christmas, and maybe because of that - slightly contrived.

This being said, this is a great book for going over how children should behave around Christmas. The rhymes are always outstanding, and worthy of at least a smile - if not a bit of a chuckle. Then there are the dinosaurs. In silly outfits, and behaving both badly - and well.

Very cool
Columbus
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
My little three year old loves, loves, loves dinosaurs and gets extra excited with the "How Do Dinosaurs Say...." series by Jane Yolen. Although they all have wonderful illustrations and nice, vibrant colors, some are significantly better than others. Well, maybe not significantly better but certainly a little better. Merry Christmas is not as good as some of the others and the little one seems to agree. He only got semi-excited and no hysteria or outright screaming on this one. Still worth read ...more
Sandra Guerfi
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of the books in the popular series by Yolen, this is right in time for the holidays. How do dinosaurs behave on the days leading up to Christmas; read this funny, colorful book and watch as your little one points out all the ways NOT to behave. This series is a favorite at story time and pictures various dinosaurs in their grandeur as they shake presents and upend Christmas trees in their quest for presents and cookies. Perfect for the holidays or that little one who is enraptured with rapto ...more
Kendra
My kids love this series and begs for us to read them. I love this series because they have a way to help children understand why they shouldn't do something. This book was no different. The illustrations showed the funny tales of each dinosaurs and roughly what they would look like in real life.....

Read more at:
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
The illustrations were fabulous. The story line was a little disappointing. Before you chide me, I know this is a children's book. I had hoped it would be as funny and fabulous as How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?. However, the writing left me a little jaded. The writing, especially the ending rhyming words could have been better. Oh well...
Elle Markov
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
They behave like good little dinosaurs and they get ready for Santa nice and early.

The book is a sweet and engaging and it has dinosaurs, what more would a young reader want. The book is fun and a perfect read for the upcoming holiday season.

The pictures are great they are big and bright and the words are simple that kids will really enjoy reading this book.

Rating 5 out of 5
Read@Book
Sarah Adamson
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great Dinosaur book from Yolen! This one focuses on the possibilities of what a dinosaur might do at Christmas. My daughter was a little worried about the dinosaurs being on Santa's naughty list so it was great that they chose the same dinosaurs for good pages otherwise there might have been tears!!
Tim Vandenberg
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This was the first Yolen-Teague dinosaur book I've read, and I'm not sold on the series. I'm sure the whole silly dinosaur theme might motivate young readers, but this wouldn't be my first choice to get kids reading. Art & Text were well executed, but the concept just doesn't bring me back for more.

Recommended for young dinosaur lovers.
Melissa
Matt read this one out loud to me and a selection of stuffed dinos in the middle of Barnes & Noble. We liked the "How do Dinos say Good Night" better - the examples of their "bad" behavior in this one weren't as good in my opinion. But the inside cover did show a dino playing handbells so that was a plus! I was disappointed the handbell ringing wasn't in the actual story though.
Kyle
Feb 15, 2016 marked it as to-read
guanlong (''crowned dragon'')
jobaria (''after jobar'')
suchomimus (''crocodile mimic'')
lexovisaurus ("lexovian's lizard'')
gigantoraptor (''gigantic theif from titanic oviraptorids'')
erythrosuchus (''red crocodile'')
therizinosaurus (''scythe lizard'')
dimorphodon (''both and two fom those teeth or tooth'')
einiosaurus (''buffalo lizard'')
olorititan ("giant swan'')
Nicole Wrightson
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect story for the dinosaurs in your family. My daughter loves dinosaur books and this one was a big hit. Mainly because how easy it was for her to read and the wonderful imagination shown in the pictures. I am thinking about looking into getting a few more of these books from the library to read with my daughter.
Elaine
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The kids, especially the younger preschool and toddlers enjoy these dinosaur books during storytime. The story showed a great theme asking if dinosaurs do certain things which may not be so nice during the holiday season. The illustrations as always are entertaining, lively and fun.
  • The Easter Bunny's Assistant
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Huff & Puff
  • Hello My Name Is Bob
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • This Little Chick
  • Library Lily
  • Farmyard Beat
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?