Start by marking “Bad Kitty” as Want to Read:
Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

(Bad Kitty PB1)

From the creator of The New York Times bestseller Boing! comes the riotous story of a cat gone berserk -- four times over an in alphabetical order each time. Kitty is not happy when she's told that her favorite foods are all gone and all that's left are Asparagus, Beets, Cauliflower, Dill...and 22 other equally unappealing vegetables. So she: Ate my homework, Bit grandma, ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Bad Kitty, please sign up.

Archit Ojha
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks

So you think cats are for your entertainment, fella?

Bad Kitty has its share of legends.

Loved the graphical evidences collected by the author and presented to the court in an organized A-Z sorting.

*GEAR UP FOR A FELINE INVASION

Pooja
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pooja by: Archit Ojha
Shelves: children
Bad Kitty as the name suggest is not just a bad kitty, but a very bad, bad, bad kitty.
She has all the ideas in her mind when and how to turn from good to bad.

Basically,
this has turn into :

THIS :

The thing I don't understand about the cats is that I can't really tell by looking at them if they are planning a murder or just want to have milk. It can be because I haven't owned a cat yet.

The cats who roam in my home don't tell anything. I guess I'm in their top enemy list because I always shoo cats
Candace
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When the food is not to Kitty's liking, she becomes a very, very, bad, bad BAD kitty. From A-Z sorting we learn of the foods Kitty doesn't like and the bad behaviors she performs. When the narrator comes back from grocery shopping, Kitty changes to a very, very, good, good, good kitty. From A-Z sorting we learn the foods Kitty likes and the good behaviors she performs. This delightful book has imaginative pictures and alphabetical texts. It was a fun read.
Maggie Stiefvater
This picture book follows an exceptionally bad kitty that proceeds to punish its family for not coddling it as they should. Basically, this is a picture book for kids -- which sounds obvious, but usually isn't. I often pick up books for my kids because they appeal to me -- they're quaint, beautiful, or have a great message. As an adult, I found the illustrations in this one garish, the cat ugly, the text way too long, and the meaning pretty much absent.

My kids love it.

They find it hilarious and
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a fun story, if a bit long (IMO). The copy I checked out from the library came complete with the kitty bite marks out of the cover--fun! I think this is a very creative ABC book but the antics seemed to go on a bit too long since we go through the alphabet three times (four if you count what is inside the cover). Still, I can see some children will really delight in all the kitty's antics when it doesn't get its way; and then how cute it can be when it is happy.
Suzy
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nick Bruel knows cats. His illustrations of the cat are so fun as good kitty turns to bad kitty and back to good kitty as a result of not having food. Along the way we get 4 turns through the alphabet. Healthy food that kitty doesn't want to eat (Dill, Garlic, Horseradish, etc.), bad kitty deeds as a result of being hungry (Bit grandma, Clawed the curtains, Devoured my new book, etc.), foods kitty gets excited about (Elephant Eggs, Fried Flies, Goose Goulash, etc.) and good kitty deeds now that ...more
Abigail
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Cat Lovers / Readers Looking for Alphabet Books with a Story
When her family runs out of cat food, and attempts to feed her healthy vegetables instead, a good kitty goes bad. Very, very bad! An A-Z list of veggies is followed by an A-Z list of bad behaviors the kitty gets up to, until someone finally arrives with the proper food for our feline heroine. Now determined to reform, kitty engages in an A-Z list of good behaviors, until another turn of events - the introduction of a new puppy companion - leads to another (possible) change of heart...

As a girl I
Shiloah
Super cute and fun!
Jaret
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-star-books
This was such an adorable read. The A to Z format of the book would definitely capture the attention of young readers and Bad Kitty is such a funny character. She reminds me so much of my bad kitty, I truly enjoyed reading it. My cat would (and has) torture me for running out of his favorite foods and only having the A-Z "nasty" things to eat. The difference is my cat wouldn't do the A-Zs of apologizing for his bad behavior. He'd figure I had gotten what I deserved.
iam
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-puppy
This bad kitty does everything in the alphabet, more than once. I laughed out loud. It's irreverant and would be truly appreciated by any child who ever had to face life in a house with a maniacly moody cat. If you have kitties instead of kids you will love this book, even if you need to give it to some kid or family you know just to keep up appearances.
Kyky
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book I thought was sort of funny, sort of sad, sort of everything, but it was mostly an exciting book. I read it once with my cousins and they laughed.
Al
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Utterly brilliant.
Bad kitty is the naughty spirit in all of us.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Oh come now, what kitty is ever really bad? They're too cute to stay mad at for long anyway!
gina
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, cats
Good grief reading the alphabet four times made me want to cry. I'd give it two stars but my son would give it more. However, he also asked for it to be returned to the library after a mere 4 days (a short length record). I'm hoping the other bad kitty books don't make you read the alphabet a gazillion times. I'd like to read some more of them so long as they aren't all in this same vein.
 ★ gwiz ★
This was an excellent alphabet book. Going through the alphabet four times humorously.
One time for kitty bad food, the next for what bad kitty did because of bad kitty food. Then she got good kitty food and the fourth time what she did when she got good kitty food. Love the artwork.
Emma
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to have to side with the kitty on this one. I wouldn't want to eat ONLY healthy food.
Anne
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I can't help feeling torn because some of the "healthy" foods that are offered to Kitty are NOT good for a kitty at all!!!! And is the rhino ravioli made out of rhinos or just in the shape of 🦏s???
Anna
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is like a Disney movie. Everyone has fun, and there are some jokes thrown in just for the grownups. The alphabet listing was a bit long for the kiddos, but it was just silly enough to hold their attention.
Lenore Webb
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Here is the bedtime story from last night. Sadly I am nursing a bad cold so reading is out for me. Thank goodness Vanessa Williams agreed to read for us. She is willing to read for your babes too! How? Well she is on CD reading Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel. It sure did save me since I was really down and out last night. It was hard when kitty was told that her favorite foods were all gone and that all that was available was asparagus and beets and cauliflower and dill and lots and lots of other veget ...more
Jennifer Green
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I just don't enjoy these books. They don't even work well for kids learning to read in my view.
Kathy Davie
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
First in the Bad Kitty children's picture book series.

My Take
My favorite part of this book was the info pages at the front of the book. Very clever and cute. For the rest, yes, Bruel was also quite clever in his use of the alphabet to explain how bad the kitty is, what foods the kitty liked and disliked, and how the bad kitty apologized to everyone. I could wish he had been more clever in some of his letter choices.

Cute ending, though.

The Story
Poor kitty…her owners have run out of her usual food
Morgan Flaherty
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lis510, easy-to-read
This is a book filled with interesting alliterative lists. It is about a pet kitty who turns bad due to the fact that its owners ran out of yummy foods and started feeding it healthy foods such as asparagus and cauliflower. The kitty starts doing bad things in rebellion and becomes a "very bad kitty" until the owners go to the grocery and buy the cat's favorite foods, such as "turtle turnovers" and "shark sushi". The kitty is overjoyed and sets out to make up for all the bad things it did. The i ...more
Shelly
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-books
Bruel, Nick Bad Kitty (2006) Bad Kitty is a ABC concept book that uses humor to keep the reader interested. Kitty is told that all her food is gone so she has to eat some healthy food. Then the story goes through the alphabet with all fruits and vegetables. The illustrations show kitty making disgusted faces like she is going to be sick. The cartoon like quality of the illustrations as the kitty acts very badly are quite humorous. The bright colorful illustrations work together in telling the st ...more
Madison
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed212-library
Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel discusses the alphabet in an interesting way and gives many examples of words that begin with each letter. This book would be a great way to introduce and practice the alphabet.

Kitty believes her owner ran out of her favorite food and she turns into a bad kitty. Through Kitty’s adventures, we travel through the alphabet three times which will allow children to learn the alphabet while having fun. Seeing how Kitty approaches all her problems makes the story interesting an
Leila
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is a gem. Not only does it give the very young reader a bright and colorful look at vegetables (some of which might not often show up at the family table), but it features a delightfully disobedient main character: Bad Kitty. She is not to be overlooked--or, most certainly, fed anything inappropriate to the feline diet! Kids will love Bad Kitty's awful attitude, whether they like their vegetables or NOT!
Christopher
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for teaching your kids the ABCs. Not only does it go through the whole alphabet once, but it goes through it TWICE. What a deal! And it is funny. Bad Kitty is a bad kitty who does bad stuff in round one, then cleans up the mess in round two. It is decently long for a children's picture book, especially compared to lots of newer ones that seem to end as quickly as they began, so you get a lot of bang for your reading buck.
Savannah
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A bit long. I did not like the first Alphabet list. A list of healthy food items. The second was silly and thought my 5 yr old son, D would like it or laugh but he didn't. I also liked the last list of all the good things Bad Kitty did when he became happy however I think this book sends a bad message. Act bad when you don't get your way, then when you get your way act good…
Sandy
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As an alphabet book...not the best. Some of the items on this book's THREE trips through the alphabet are just a little bit too goofy and weird (although admittedly the goofy is part of the appeal) for it to be effective for teaching the alphabet. But for cat lovers, this book will please well enough.
Viviane Elbee
The good kitty / bad kitty character is really entertaining. Kids laugh at the pictures.

It is an original take on the alphabet book, but it's a little on the long side, as there are examples of each letter of the alphabet four times.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Well, while I understand why the kids love Bad Kitty, it isn't my favorite. I think the kids just like all thr rhyming and variety of words. Because of the variety of words and pattern of the books, I also think that kids find these books appealing.
this weird book 12 34 Oct 24, 2015 02:22AM

• Splat the Cat
  • Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude
  • Put It On the List!
  • Old Black Fly
Nick Bruel is the New York Times bestselling author and illustrator of children's books including Bad Kitty, Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Bad Kitty Meets the Baby, and Boing!, among others. Nick is a freelance illustrator and cartoonist, and during his down time, he collects PEZ dispensers and grows tomatoes in the backyard. He lives in Tarrytown, NY with his wife Carina and their lovely cat Esmerelda.

h

Bad Kitty (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Poor Puppy