Corpus Press: Horror and Weird Fiction discussion

Summer of Night (Seasons of Horror, #1)
This topic is about Summer of Night
BUDDY READ

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Adam (last edited Nov 24, 2013 05:16PM) (new) - added it

Adam Light (goodreadscomadamlight) | 266 comments Mod
This is my first time hosting a buddy read on here. I have participated in enough of them to have a good idea how to do it, though.
So far it is
Angie
Adam
Addy
Feel free to join us to read this seminal Dan Simmons favorite. Read along at your own pace; I'm aware it is the Holidays and would not want to assess any time limit on the buddy read. This is for pure enjoyment and discussion. Remember to use spoiler tags in case some of us are slower than others. I recently learned how to do this correctly. If anyone needs to know I will PM you with the instructions. Happy reading!

message 2: by Evans (new) - added it

Evans Light (evanslight) | 204 comments Mod
I'm ready to start a new novel and have this one on the shelf. Can I join?

message 3: by Adam (new) - added it

Of course, brother!

message 4: by Adam (new) - added it

We now have Evans, Angie, Addy and Adam. Finally a name with a different first letter! With this group so far I foresee a fun group read developing.

Angie | 65 comments I need to know how to do the spoilers, it would be helpful if you let me know how to do it:)

Angie | 65 comments Right, my book was just delivered, on time as well! I'll get reading it now. It sounds really good.

message 7: by Adam (new) - added it

so far it is creepy!

Addy | 46 comments I'm gonna bite into this one tonight! Hello to my A's, lol, and of course Evans:)

message 9: by Adam (new) - added it

Hey Addy. i like it so far. Lots of creepiness in the first sixty pages. I am really happy Simmons didn't draw out the beginning like King did with IT. I love the setting in 1960, too.

Angie | 65 comments I'm just up to where your at Adam, and I'm glad there are enough differences to It, and the book is moving faster with the story. The janitor really creeps me out and he's not been given any time yet! I like all the boys though.

message 11: by Adam (new) - added it

Yeah. We get right into the story in this one. i am scared of that rendering truck!

message 12: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments I was thinking the same thing Adam about the setting. Love books that occur back in the day. I have a feeling this may be about vampires, but don't tell me. I haven't read any reviews so I'm winging it. I like the boys and am glad it got right into some action with Tubby. Can't wait to catch up with u guys.

message 13: by Adam (new) - added it

I have avoided spoilers so far, too. I don't know if it is vampires, but it sure is atmospheric and a joy to read.

message 14: by Angie (last edited Nov 30, 2013 04:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 65 comments I hope you guys had a happy thanksgiving. I'm up to page 165 and I was thinking is it ghosts , (view spoiler)

Angie | 65 comments Sorry I couldn't write this to have 2 spoilers!! I love little Lawrence, he so fearless, except being scared of the dark. And the rendering truck, just the thought of it is sickening(view spoiler)

message 16: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments The whole "wait for us, my dear" is creepy. Well, imagine how Duane feels! Could it be his mom? Maybe she's not really dead....very mysterious!

Angie | 65 comments I'm up to page 270 and its gone very scary now, I now what's causing things to happen but I'm not going to say what happens, I'm just waiting for you guys to catch up:)
I like all the boys though, and how different times were back then, even when I was a kid my mum would give us a packet of biscuits and we didn't come home till tea time!

But that rendering truck is still driving around (view spoiler)

Angie | 65 comments I have a problem with Duane being the fat kid. He works to hard on his farm to be heavy. And if he ever went to see the others he mostly had to walk the 4 miles there. He also didn't eat enough either, to many missed meals.

message 19: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments I have to say the part where the monkey was dumped was so vividly written. I was entranced! I've been so slow lately cause of the holidays but I'll get there.

message 20: by Adam (new) - added it

Good point about Duane, Angie.

message 21: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments Mikey is such a sweet kid taking care of Memo and watching out for his siblings. I bet he's a great friend and a good leader too. He's gotta be my favorite amongst the boys.

Angie | 65 comments I like that he cares so much for memo as well. Where are you guys opened to? I don't want to give the story away!

message 23: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments Oh gosh, I'm far behind you two. Just reaching pg 100. Pg 80 where Harlen sees Mrs. Duggan...ah, what a surprise! I have no idea what's going on.

Angie | 65 comments It did get me scratching my head, when you guys thought vampires I went with ghost, but it didn't seem to work either way. If that had been my school I'd of been faking sickness all the time!

message 25: by Adam (new) - added it

Addy wrote: "Oh gosh, I'm far behind you two. Just reaching pg 100. Pg 80 where Harlen sees Mrs. Duggan...ah, what a surprise! I have no idea what's going on."

only 225 into it, Addy. This is a slow read for me, though it is utterly involving. I like it a lot so far.

message 26: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments Angie, just the bathroom alone would freak me out! These kids are brave. Almost seems like movie material. I kind of picture it like The Goonies, but way creepier!

Angie | 65 comments I ended up scared so bad, I've not read a book that scared me like this one in such a long time. And he just keeps cranking it up... I wouldn't of gone to that bathroom, in the dark, in the basement. And apparently there's a basement under the basement. The boys the good aren't they. My favourite keeps changing, but poor Harlen, left in the dumpster!!

It would make a good film, if It could be made then this could.

message 28: by Evans (new) - added it

Ack!! I got way behind on this one, starting tonight!

message 29: by Evans (new) - added it

I'm up to 15% on this one so far (crossing back and forth between ebook and paperback). Enjoying so far, though not much has happened. First glimmers of ghastly happenings with the glowing teacher in the school and the World War One vet....I wasn't clear at all on how the boy was aware of his father bringing home the vet. That passage seemed like something got twisted or left out during editing.

Angie | 65 comments It definitely gets twisted, I got confused with it, but you start to figure some of it out. And from now, I just got more freaked. Maybe I just get scared easy, I don't think so though . I'm not doing my review yet , I'll wait till everyone has finished. I'm carrying on with the buddy read though cause it's fun.

message 31: by Adam (new) - added it

His dad told him, Evans.

message 32: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments I'm at the part where(view spoiler)

message 33: by Adam (new) - added it

Addy wrote: "I'm at the part where[spoilers removed]"

Oh and it keeps getting better from there. I'm close to halfway and this one is a lot like Carrion Comfort in the pacing. It is slow in places but never has dragged for me. It is a very unusual story. I still am not completely sure what is going on, though there are many clues. Maybe I'm just too dense to figure it out!

message 34: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments I love Lawrence and dale's relationship as brothers. They remind me of my two little boys who also at times hold hands when sleeping:)

Angie | 65 comments That's so cute Addy, it's really good in the book.that Dale wants to protect his brother, but the only thing he's wants protection from is the dark. He's such a little toughie, he makes me smile.

message 36: by Adam (new) - added it

Has anyone else made it to Chapter 19 yet? (view spoiler)

Angie | 65 comments I've made it that far(view spoiler)

message 38: by Adam (new) - added it

Angie wrote: "I've made it that far[spoilers removed]"

I agree, Angie.

message 39: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments I'm gonna try and make some head way on this one. Been slacking a bit:)

message 40: by Adam (new) - added it

Finished last night.

message 41: by Evans (new) - added it

I'm on Chapter 19. Haven't gotten to it for a few days.

message 42: by Adam (new) - added it

It is a hell of a read. It took me a long time to read, but it is long. I really liked it, and will review later. Chapter 19 is where it really kicks into gear.

message 43: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments Good to know. Gonna try and reach for 19 then. Maybe it'll go a little faster after. The history on the bell was kinda neat.

message 44: by Evans (new) - added it

About time something happened. I think there's been about 4 total pages of excitement so far.

message 45: by Evans (new) - added it

I think I missed something. What got the kid off on the bell in the first place? First they were looking for Tubby, now this guy is OCD over some fabled bell. What triggered the fascination?

message 46: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 46 comments I think he was in charge of research since he is good at it so he went to the library to research old central.

Angie | 65 comments Duane was giving out the jobs to the kids, Mike had to follow the janitor, which leads him to the cemetery, Harlen got their teacher, Dale and Lawrence got ,well something, and Duane research. The bell had me looking back to find out why the hell he focused on it. It was in some papers that the guy who built the school bought it in Europe, then he went on from there.

message 48: by Adam (new) - added it

Addy's right, bro. Due to the strangeness centered around the school, and Tubby's apparent disappearance in the school, he stumbled on the info concerning the bell.

message 49: by Angie (last edited Dec 16, 2013 02:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 65 comments I think he got all focused because as soon as he started asking about it, that freaking rendering truck started trying to kill him!!

I finished as well, and I loved it.

message 50: by Evans (new) - added it

Well thanks, guys! That explains about the bell, then. It seemed kind of random to me that he got so focused on that singular object that may or may not be there...

« previous 1 3