Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
This topic is about Magic Bleeds
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Andrews, Ilona; Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels #4); "Informal Buddy Read" ; Start Date 9th December 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 17, 2013 06:36AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews.

What is a Buddy Read?

This is an "Informal Buddy Read"
An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

Book synposis
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the magic. When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose.

Kate Daniels works for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, officially as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle---especially if they involve Atlanta's shapeshifting community.

When she's called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar on the border between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers that there's a new player in town. One who's been around for thousands of years---and who rode to war at the side of Kate's father.

This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Beast Lord, to handle. Because this time Kate will be taking on family.

EXPECT SPOILERS!

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm definitely in! :)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments :)

Cool.

THIS IS not a teaser - follow the whining on the book #3 thread - but since we are already past the middle of the month, better reserve the spot on the buddy reads schedule.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Also changed the synopsis since I like this one better :)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Only 5 more days!!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Yey

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Almost there... debating starting this one early, since I'm ahead on Game of Thrones buddy read and don't want to get too far ahead of the question schedule hehe

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments You questioning it gives me permission to start this one early!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments LOL

Yes, I guess it does.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Looks like it's decided then. Early!

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm in 45%

and I love it, I think so far it is even better than the previous one! Can't stop myself from finding out what will happen next so I have a book hangover ahead, but still it is a pleasurable perspective LOL.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Okay, I spent time while at a wedding curled in a corner and read up to the first Curran and Kate scene in this book. Anima is 45% in. Where is everyone else?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments I'm about 15%ish in. Expect to read more tonight :D

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14457 comments Mod
Haven't started... still giggling about the ending to #3!

Anima Miejska | 757 comments It was awesome. Some more thoughts, when everyone is ready. Now, I need some extra sleep, I was reading until 4 a.m. LOL It was totally worth it, still, Nicole, reading at the wedding, that is a true devotion *grins*

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments I'm only at 40%. I'm babysitting this weekend and the 15 m.o. little hurricane thinks my nexus must be for her entertaining not for me to read :-)

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments **chuckles**

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Haha, thanks Anima. My reading has slowed down a bit now that it's a work day. I'm at around 50% and Kate is threatening religious folk, but feeling bad about it ;)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments I'm almost there Nicole. The magic wave hit but I'm still recovering from the whole or nothing thingie. However, I do know what is going to happen, a little fuzzy on the details of how, so I think I'm more emotional because of that.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Everything or nothing! Oh god, Curran :D

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Nicole wrote: "Oh god, Curran :D"

Here's something you will say A LOT during the rest of the series. Kate wasn't the only one picturing his head exploding

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm loving this series so hard. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't have convinced me to persevere after the early two books.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I totally agree with you Nicole, so far every next book is better and better! I love this series as well, it is full of good humour, packed with action, but not overstuffed with it, with a romance and some "social" isssues, a perfect mixture for a good entertainment and loads of good vibes :)

Esther (nyctale) Just started last night. And i was feeling guilty to start it a day ahead. Ha! :)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments There is no such thing as being guilty by starting a Kate Daniels ahead of time.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Nicole wrote: "I'm loving this series so hard. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't have convinced me to persevere after the early two books."

No problem. I feel the same about Dresden, I'm so glad I didn't give up on the series.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I haven't quite gotten to the same place with Dresden, but that might be the audio book listening which I've kept doing cause of James Marsters' voice ;)

About 80% through it today. It's become somewhat of a joke in my house that I can't put this book down. I love Erra for some reason. Weird, huh?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Totally agree with you, Nicole! Erra I highly entertaining and reminds me of Glory as well. That was a great season, and so far, this book might be my favorite of the series thus far. Not sure though, I have a hard time playing favorites.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Haha, started it early and finished it early! I'm done :D

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Nicole wrote: "Haha, started it early and finished it early! I'm done :D"

I'm thinking I'll finish it today... I was going to read some of Game of Thrones yesterday, which I'm enjoying a lot as well, but this one wouldn't let me stop... I had "one more chapter" syndrome all day. X)

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) Steven wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Haha, started it early and finished it early! I'm done :D"

I'm thinking I'll finish it today... I was going to read some of Game of Thrones yesterday, which I'm enjoying a lot as we..."

I'm fighting the one more chapter, 10 more minutes battle as we speak!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments So many Kate-addicts

*claps hands in glee*

I am sooooo happy.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Haha, Danielle... part of me wants to say "DON'T FIGHT IT"... but if you have important things/work to do, I don't want to inspire neglect! BUT JUST ONE MORE CHAPTER IS OKAY!?!

Esther (nyctale) Half way done. I skipped reading the paper to read my book this morning. This is bad. ;)

I am errr... at the morning after.

And what is this dog?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments So, I couldn't fight off the "just one more chapter" syndrome and finished the book! SO GOOD.

Wait, do we HAVE to wait until next month for the next one??? BOOO!

At least I have Magic Dreams (book #4.5) short story/novella to help me through! :P

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Ooh, where is Magic Dreams available from?

Good on everyone for the continued excitement with this book., I think it's been my fav BR with you'all.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Is part of Hexed

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Nicole, did you read 3.5? It was good too. :)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Magic Mourns is 3.5... from Andrea's perspective.

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) You guys I couldn't stop listening today. I'm almost finished now

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Danielle Cause I'm the Book Boss wrote: "You guys I couldn't stop listening today. I'm almost finished now"

GO GO GO! JUST ONE MORE CHAPTER! :P

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I started last night and only read the prologue.

CURRAN. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY FRIEND KATE.

At that point, and also since it was midnight, I decided to just stop there because otherwise my feels would carry me from chapter one to perhaps the end without stopping. That's the goal for tonight. ;)

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) Logan wrote: "I started last night and only read the prologue.

CURRAN. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY FRIEND KATE.

At that point, and also since it was midnight, I decided to just stop there because otherwise my fe..."

Same thing I said at first. I was like WHAT IS GOING ON???!!!

I just finished. 5 stars from me!

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Yeah, amazing series so far. Glad Sonia talked me into it. :)

Esther (nyctale) I am done. I really liked it. This is really a fun series.

message 46: by Logan (last edited Dec 13, 2013 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments 28% - Chapter 10

Who is trying to keep Curran and Kate apart? It seems like someone had to have destroyed his note and then instructed the Keep to block her calls. What is going on?

I had forgotten about Kate's necromancy trick with severed heads. Blaghrgh.

Very curious about these undead mages.

Ready for naked dinner, take 2. Anytime now. Still waiting.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Sonia! I can't find the Stolen thread, and I'm running a bit late on starting, but I picked up Dime Store Magic today! :)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Finished! Another great part of the series. I loved the baddie and final fight. I also liked Kate finally stepping up and playing her part as potential alpha. Bring on the next one!

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
Nicole wrote: "Sonia! I can't find the Stolen thread, and I'm running a bit late on starting, but I picked up Dime Store Magic today! :)"

Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2) by Kelley Armstrong thread is here.

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14457 comments Mod
Finally got to this one!

At the end of each Kate Daniels book I keep thinking "this is the best of the series". Well, here we are again. I loved this. The character and world development were impressive and the pacing was just right. I'm glad I finally got back to this series.

The head in the fridge thing was creepy! lol and I loved the start of the book with the "naked dinner"

My favourite part was probably the introduction of the attack poodle! lol!
Oh, and how we got more info on Kate's background.

Now on to book 5!

« previous 1 3 4 5