Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

UnSouled (Unwind, #3)
This topic is about UnSouled
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Shusterman, Neal - Unsouled (Unwind #3) - Relaxed Buddy Read Start January 17, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 16, 2013 11:22PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of UnSouled by Neal Shusterman

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a buddy read?

About this Buddy Read
A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers

Synopsis
The story that began with Unwind continues.

Connor and Lev are on the run after the destruction of the Graveyard, the last safe haven for AWOL Unwinds. But for the first time, they’re not just running away from something. This time, they’re running toward answers, in the form of a woman Proactive Citizenry has tried to erase from history itself. If they can find her, and learn why the shadowy figures behind unwinding are so afraid of her, they may discover the key to bringing down unwinding forever.

Cam, the rewound boy, is plotting to take down the organization that created him. Because he knows that if he can bring Proactive Citizenry to its knees, it will show Risa how he truly feels about her. And without Risa, Cam is having trouble remembering what it feels like to be human.

With the Juvenile Authority and vindictive parts pirates hunting them, the paths of Connor, Lev, Cam, and Risa will converge explosively—and everyone will be changed.

Neal Shusterman continues the adventure that VOYA called “poignant, compelling, and ultimately terrifying.”
UnSouled (Unwind, #3) by Neal Shusterman UnSouled (Unwind, #3) by Neal Shusterman

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 16, 2014 12:50PM) (new) - added it

Need to refresh your memory?
Our discussion thread for Unwind is here and Unwholly is here

Suggested reading scheudle

January 17 - start reading!

January 18 - Pause to discuss Parts 1 & 2 (start)
January 20 - Pause to discuss Parts 3 & 4 (middle)
January 22 - Discuss the end (Parts 5-Epilogue)

Of course feel free to read faster or slower, just use spoiler tags if posting before the above date for your section

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
Looking forward to this :)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm in for the discussion :)

message 5: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments In!

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I can't wait for this one!

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

:D great!

Sharie | 72 comments I couldn't wait I already read it! I hope you guys like it

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol! You can still join us for comments and discussion in Jan :)

Danielle Moore | 2 comments I joined the group because you were discussing this book! I love the series & can't wait to hear what others thought (I devoured it the day it was released ;)

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Awesome Danielle. I have recommended this series to so many people, I kind of put off reading book 3 as I don't want it to end in a poor way! I have heard good things though and I'm really keen to begin :)

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Old discussion thread links are posted in message 2 if anyone needs to refresh their memory!

Danielle Moore | 2 comments Karen, please let me know how you feel about the ending. I will say nothing now as I do not want to spoil anything for anyone :)

Kristin | 840 comments Glad I decided to check in on GR today and see that there was a third one out! I had no idea!

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

*waves*
Hi Kristin! I hope all is well with you :)

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have the kindle edition and it looks like we have 6 parts and an epilogue, so I have put a relaxed reading scheudle into message 2

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Looks good to me, Karen!

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 18, 2014 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Parts 1 & 2 (start)

My thoughts

- so Ashley Marie blew me away brining to my attention that this is not a trilogy and a fourth book in the works! As "kids these days" say.. O.M.G. Anyway, I'm not googling it as I don't want spoilers so I will wait until I finish this :)

- I'm totally drawn in this book from the start. completely gripping. Reminds me why I have enjoyed the series so much

- In my kindle edition the Lev chapters actually ay "Leu". Is that the same for anyone else? I thought it was a weird font issue perhaps, but I'm convinced it does actually say "Leu"

- Argent is going to be a major problem. Not only has his hero forsaken him, but he ran off with his sister. Speaking of, what is the deal with her? She doesn't seem dumb to me

- I love the connection this book has with UnStrung. So many novellas just kind of sit on the sidelines, so I was glad to see that being drawn back into the story

- The press clips are such a great way to get an insight into their world. It is easy to see how unwinding would progress like this through society with things like "shelling"

- I still think Cam is a good guy and will get revenge on Roberta in this book

- Ugh. Starkey is still around! Mean and smart is never a good combination

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Karen, I can't believe you didn't know there was another book! It's the only reason I'm not happy/depressed reading this one (the last book in a really good series is always bittersweet for me...)

I definitely agree with you about the pacing. Neil Shusterman is really good at grabbing you immediately, sometimes to a point I'm almost uncomfortable with! This is such a heavy subject, sometimes I wish he'd give us a bit more of a break!

It's Lev in my dead-tree edition, so that might be some weird formating thing with the e-book. Bizzare!

UG ARGENT I IMMEDIATELY HATED YOU. I don't know what it was about Argent, but I just have this idea in my head of him being this stereotypical dumb as nails hilljack who doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground. Totally rubbed me the wrong way immediately, and I hated how he treated Grace (who definitely isn't dumb. Maybe she's a savant of some sort? Or got a transplant of some kind...).

I really like that we're visiting the res again, and the interlude there in UnStrung wasn't just a way to sell more. I hate when short stories have no connection to the main narrative and are clearly just a way for authors to make more money off of fans of the series.

The press clips are one of my favorite things about these books. I love how fake, dystopian ones are interspersed with real, current, actual clippings from today...and sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. It makes the story more disturbing for me.

I actually sympathize with Cam a great deal, and hope he does end up being a good guy. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in his position - a lab rat with 100 personalities fighting inside of him! Plus, so many people think he's either a tool to be used or an abomination. Poor kid :(

Starkey is so slimey, and I really hope he gets what's coming to him. I want to be sympathetic and think about the societal pressures that made him what he is, but he's just such a miserable little sh** (I'm on a cussing roll this post! Sorry!), it's hard to feel anything but anger at him.

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Further thoughts on Argent: I think the thing that bothered me the most is his sort of angry at the world/people owe me something attitude. I think it's unfortunate and unfair that he had to be responsible for Grace, and I can understand him feeling some resentment, but lashing out at others (and taking Connor prisoner to attempt to Stockholm Syndrome him?!?!) is not ok.

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Ashley Marie

lol about Argent! I totally agree with you. And it surprises me that Nelson wants to take him along. I guess he figures that Connor may see Argent as an easy target and so he can use him as bait for Connor. I think Nelson intends to sell Argent on for parts too though. Not cool

So true about the press clippings. everytime there is a website at the bottom of the article I have to re-read it. Creepy.

Good description with Cam. I think it would be so awful being him. Look at that Tyler camp and their need to get together, and that was only one person. He is so many different people jostling for attention and there is always that question of does a sum of all parts really make a whole?

Starkey is exactly what you said. He is just a criminal as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if there is more to Grace too. They haven't mentioned her having any scars (ie. some kind of neural treatment), but then I don't know why she is labelled so dumb unless she just acts that way to avoid the wrath of Argent

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I thought the same thing about Nelson - I was surprised that he enlisted Argent as well. I assumed that he'd just sell Argent for parts the first chance he got!

message 23: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Part 1&2

When I started reading this I realized how little I remember from the last book. It's slowly starting to come back to me, but I almost want to stop and re-read the 2nd book :-P.

I like that they're starting to add stuff about the beginning and how the technology got twisted. I also still love all the little articles and arguments for and against unwinding in various forms. It really makes you feel as if you're part of society seeing what they see in the paper every day.

I hate that the stork club is still out running a much, but I guess they have to show the chaos that the ferals create and why not use them.

I'm really interested to see how the Argent/Nelson team turns out. Seems like both are complete idiots and I don't see it getting very far, but who knows.

The whole Tyler Walker cult is creepy but it still intrigues me. It's like when the couple collected the parts of their son because they felt guilty. Just strange.

I also love that the 1.5 book is coming into play with Lev going back to the reservation. I'm interested to see what happens there. I also love that CyFi came back. It's always great when old characters come back, especially one so emotionally powerful as CyFi. I really think Lev is the key to everything as he seems to connect so many different parts of the book.

I don't have any grand predictions yet, but I'm loving it so far!

message 24: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I think Grace is one of those that is mentally smart but socially slow. She doesn't seem to grasp relationships very well and seems to act more like a smart child than an adult. My thought is that her mental capacity was stunted by always being berated by Argent. Anyone that is yelled at and called stupid that much will revert to child like behavior.

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished this rather quickly, but I saved notes on the section before I kept going!

Parts 3&4 (middle)

- The start of part 3 with the article on cellular memory being transferred to heart recipients was crazy!
-Do you like The Rheinschilds sections woven through? I really like these flashbacks and insights into their characters
-I'm a bit worried about Risa. I'm not sure how the story isgoing to connect her back to Connor & Lev yet
- Poor Una. She seriously needs a therapist. I'm glad Connor was able to free Cam. I wonder if Cam will end up turning on them?
- I was glad to see Hayden back! I hope he is able to either escape or make some progress with Bam and those who have been brain-washed by Starkey. I wonder if Starkey has ever considered if he is any better than those he is accusing of being murderers?
- I think the best bit of this section was showing the relationship with Lev and connor and how they have become so close. Very much brothers

message 26: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Part 3&4

I was so excited to see Hayden back! I'm glad that he is "free" ish. Hopefully he'll find a way to take down Starkey from the inside. I'm curious to see how he reacts once he finds out what Starkey did on the mission. Also, I think Bam is going to revolt against Starkey following Hayden!

I'm happy we're seeing more of the Rheinschilds. I'm really interested in their story and how everything started with unwinding.

I'm definitely interested to see what happens with Cam and Connor. I wonder if they will get to a point where they can work side by side in trust. To me Cam seems genuine about trying to take down Proactive Citezenry, and I hope it's not all a ploy and that we have yet another traitor. After they tried to sell him as property thought, I don't think he'll ever go back to them. That was horrible!

I hope Risa gets into more action soon. She seems like this side story that isn't really going anywhere. I wonder where she'll go now that she's left the salon.

Nelson figured out Argent! Lucky for Argent Nelson was sick or else he might be dead. I have a feeling that Nelson is taking Argent to be unwound, not to introduce him. That's why he needs the code before going there.

Una went a little crazy there for a bit. I can't believe all the things she put Cam through! Although I guess people will do a lot of things to get a piece of a loved one back. I wonder if other's in the society have gone through something similar coming across a body part so familiar to them.

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Parts 5&6

- so we start again with another shocking news story. I love these in some weird way!
- I can't believe Starkey and that whole gang are just playing into the hands of the pro-unwinders
- I was glad that Risa connected back with Connor, and sad that Lev stayed behind
- Good of Cam to be taken and 'save' the others. I think he is a good guy despite all his issues
- I loved the ending. These books can so easily lack hope, and that gave it in just one sentence. And it makes sense with all the 3D printing around these days - not that much of a jump!

I really enjoyed this book and #4 can't come soon enough!

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I fell behind because I binge watched Veronica Mars :X

Just finished up the middle section, and I was also pretty horrified by Una's behavior. I understand that she's grieving and angry over Wil's unwinding, but threatening to chop off Cam's hands and making him wear his own urine soaked clothes for days...yikes. Therapy might be a better option, Una.

I really loved the transition between chapters when Elina tells Lev that heroes never think they're heroes, and then the immediate next sentence is Starkey (who, because I'm a secret 12 year old and not a grown adult, I think of as Stinkey) telling himself what a hero he is. I really like how Schusterman writes in general, but I thought that was an especially cool chapter transition.

I keep stopping to read my husband all of the real articles included in the story, and he's as floored as I am that real people have done some of the things related. Fuqua's child execution was by far the most shocking, though!

I'm also really glad that Hayden made it out of the Unwind camp. He's one of my favorite side characters, and I think he'll play a major part in overthrowing Starkey. I'm kind of glad that it's someone other than Connor saving the day!

I'm enjoying the Rheinschild chapters, too. I think it's really interesting to get some of the history behind how something as terrible as Unwinding could come to be, and it's cool to learn a bit more about the shadowy doings of Proactive Citizenry.

Off to finish the last 100 pages!

message 29: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I'm mad that the book is over. I feel like this book didn't have quite as much content in it, but probably set up a lot of things for book 4. It seems like the whole book was staging the war and next book we'll actually see the fight.

I'm loving Grace and her ability to see things that others don't. She figured out the way to save everyone but Cam which was awesome. I'm glad Cam didn't give the others up as it wouldn't have done him any good really. I wonder what will come of Cam now that they are restructuring his brain. I think we've lost him as an alli and he'll play a big role in book 4 for the bad guys.

I don't even know what to say about Starkey. I can't believe that kids aren't rebelling with all that has happened, but I guess fear is a powerful tool. I really hope that Hayden, Bam, and Jeevan (?) end up taking over and overthrowing Starkey now that they have realized who he is probably working for and the dangers behind it.

I'm glad Connor and Risa are back together. I'm excited that we finally got the story about Sonia and what her husband was working on. I really hope they can get the printer advertised and help stop unwinding with it. It was also great to see DiDi come back into the story. One big family reunion.

I loved the book, as I have all the others, and am super upset I have to wait for book 4 now. They haven't even given us a published date! *sigh*

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Just finished!

@Karen

One of my favorite things about this series, compared to other dystopian YA, is that it feels entirely believable (which is scary, imo). I like that the key to the whole shebang appears to be a technology that's already invented! This is totally goofy, but there's a story arc on Grey's Anatomy right now where a character is using a 3D printer to print portal veins, so it seems like the technology would absolutely be at a point where entire organs could be printed by the time these books are set in.

@Jex

I really like Grace, too, and I think she's going to play a major role in the war coming in book 4! She's turning into one of my favorite characters.

I'm glad that Lev stayed behind, even though it was sad. I think the ChanceFolk will play a big role in changing the culture of Unwinding, once they start being less isolationist. Sort of like the US in WWII - once they decide to do the right thing, they'll be important.

Starkey is the worrrrssssstttt. I like how Shusterman is using him as a parable in some ways - the idea that one extreme is just as bad as the other. Lev, Risa, and Connor seem much saner in comparison to Starkey and Proactive Citizenry! I hope that Hayden, Bam, and Jeevan will overthrow Starkey, too, Jex, but I wonder what the consequences will be now that the Storks have hooked up with the Clappers.

Can't wait for book 4!

message 31: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Ashley Marie: I completely agree with this book being so believable! A lot of the science is already here, so it makes sense that unwinding could be possible one day, and probably not too far off. It also makes complete sense that the government and others would try to monetize it. It's the same thing they do with drug/disease research. If people don't get sick then pharmaceutical companies don't make money, so why would they want to cure anything?

Haha...I totally thought about the Grey's Anatomy thing when I read that too.

PS - I vote we start reading the skinjacker series next!

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley Marie & Jex:

Thanks for your comments, I think we can all agree this is an awesome series!!

I agree with you both that this feels "real" eventhough the concept is so sickening. whereas the Hunger Games I always felt like we were suspending relaity, this series sadly doesn't seem so far-fetched, although the concepts explored are just as vile.

I really liked Grace too. Great that he brought in a new character and she just seemlessly melds and adds value to the story

The storks and clapers alliance is awful. I'm sure book 4 will get into this a lot more. Is that the last book in the series, does anyone know?

I am totally up for skinjacker series. I have wanted to read it ever since we started Unwind! Should we schedule in a BR?

message 33: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I'm down. I own the first one so as soon as I unpack my books I can start. Maybe for end of Feb? or March?

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

End of Feb sounds good. I should just check I can get the book ;)

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can get it by the 15th according to my library. So maybe we aim for around the 20th?

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I have the audiobook, so I'm in!

message 37: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Sounds good to me! Gives me plenty of time to dig out my copy.

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 28, 2014 02:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great - I've set it up here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Undivided (Unwind, #4) by Neal Shusterman is out shortly.

Anyone up for a BR next month?

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Me too! Any time would work for me.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments I could do that. I have #2 in my stack to read right now so should be able to catch up before we start. Might be a bit late starting if library doesn't cooperate :) I'm 2nd on list to get it and it's on order right now. So should get to me beginning to mid november :)

message 43: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

BUDDY READ REVISIT! BUDDY READ REVISIT! BUDDY READ REVISIT!

Synopsis
Connor and Lev are on the run after the destruction of the Graveyard, the last safe haven for AWOL Unwinds. But for the first time, they’re not just running away from something. This time, they’re running toward answers, in the form of a woman Proactive Citizenry has tried to erase from history itself. If they can find her, and learn why the shadowy figures behind unwinding are so afraid of her, they may discover the key to bringing down unwinding forever.

Cam, the rewound boy, is plotting to take down the organization that created him. Because he knows that if he can bring Proactive Citizenry to its knees, it will show Risa how he truly feels about her. And without Risa, Cam is having trouble remembering what it feels like to be human.

With the Juvenile Authority and vindictive parts pirates hunting them, the paths of Connor, Lev, Cam, and Risa will converge explosively—and everyone will be changed.

Buddy Read Rules
Comments ALWAYS under spoiler tags

Steph Ann | 66 comments I'm about a quarter of the way through (just finished part one) and while I'm enjoying it, I'm not as hooked as I was with the first two. It just feels like not much has happened yet. Still plenty of time for that to change though.

I am curious to see if Argent shows up again. If he does, I hope his sister puts him in his place!

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Part 1
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Kelly (last edited Nov 15, 2014 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Part 2
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Steph Ann (last edited Nov 15, 2014 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph Ann | 66 comments Kelly wrote: "Part 2

Ok. The Tyler camp is weird. That alone should convince people that unwinding is a terrible idea. I like Risa's comment on him having to grow up. It's almost like an excuse for these people..."

Totally agree about the Tyler camp! I can kind of see where it could be nice to meet others who share parts of the same person but they take it to a whole other level. Very strange and even creepy!

I see nothing but bad things coming from Argent and Nelson teaming up lol.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Steph Ann wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Part 2

Ok. The Tyler camp is weird. That alone should convince people that unwinding is a terrible idea. I like Risa's comment on him having to grow up. It's almost like an excuse fo..."

The camp reminds me of a cult type thing. Feels like it's one step away from them deciding to undonate those parts and put them back into a Tyler. They probably could too since they made Cam.

Argent and Nelson are both crazy! I wonder if they'll get unwound as part of the unwinding prisoners sentiment. Or maybe that's a way for them to declare Connor a criminal and unwind him kindof like how they get mobsters on tax fraud.

Steph Ann | 66 comments I had the thought too that it seemed like the Tyler camp was a step away from undonating parts. The circle thing they did where they were basically free speaking as Tyler was just crazy.

I find myself thinking ahead, wondering what Cam is going to do once Risa inevitably turns him down again. He's putting so much of his identity on her (thinking she can give him his soul back) that he could totally self destruct if she chooses Connor over him.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments I wonder if she can help him understand Samson and maybe he'll start working on figuring out what parts he's made of.

« previous 1